Shipwrecked, One Excercise Choice?

aklifta907

Ok, just curious here, if you were dropped off on an isolated island and you could only do one lifting excercise, what would it be for OVERALL STRENGTH AND MUSCULARITY?. Mine would hands down be the clean and press. Heres why, The entire posterior chain is used (hams, calves, lower back, upper back and traps, erectors) your grip, forearm and biceps are taxed heavily holding and pulling the weight, and then the core is stimulated to stabalize your body and the load, then the shoulders and triceps are used heavily to press the weight out. To stimulate the quads you could just clean the weight then dip down very low and then stand up, just like a front squat and then press it out. What would you choose and why?.

well i was gonna go with the old deadlift but after reading your argument for the clean and press id have to say that ya got me sold on that :D

But if an exercise can contain multiple movements (like the C&P) then multiple exercises can be put together into one "new" exercise which allows you to:

- deadlift

- bent over row

- clean

- front squat

- overhead press

- back squat

- neck press

All in one exercise as a circuit. I will call it the "Mark Lift" :cool

So that would be my choice.

But what you normally see in these topics is that the exercise of choice should be one single movement. in that case it would be the deadlift, or the clean. ;)

Edited by White Scorpion

Ok, just curious here, if you were dropped off on an isolated island and you could only do one lifting excercise, what would it be for OVERALL STRENGTH AND MUSCULARITY?. Mine would hands down be the clean and press. Heres why, The entire posterior chain is used (hams, calves, lower back, upper back and traps, erectors) your grip, forearm and biceps are taxed heavily holding and pulling the weight, and then the core is stimulated to stabalize your body and the load, then the shoulders and triceps are used heavily to press the weight out. To stimulate the quads you could just clean the weight then dip down very low and then stand up, just like a front squat and then press it out. What would you choose and why?.

That's 2 exercises

If I had the equipment to do a barbell clean and press, and the island had trees, I'd cut down the tree and make a squat rack, o-lifting platform, and whatever other equipment I want.

Like Wes and Mark pointed out, a C&P is 2 exercises. Anyways, I'd do deads. Nothing hits your posterior chain like deads, and the

spill-over from doing them will take care of the rest of the groups.

Edited by Magnus

Carrying native girls over my shoulder and ............

Man, it's a toss up between full cleans, deads, and the snatch. Although, in the real world if I could do one, I could do the others. So I'll just say the clean :D

If marooned, I'd be trying to conserve as many calories as possible. So, I'd do no exercise.

What were you guys thinking? That there'd be a GNC and a Subway tucked somewhere behind the palmettos?

-Rex

If marooned, I'd be trying to conserve as many calories as possible. So, I'd do no exercise.

What were you guys thinking? That there'd be a GNC and a Subway tucked somewhere behind the palmettos?

-Rex

:laugh:laugh:laugh

Bicep curls, baby. its all about impressing the ladies. Cept since im on a isolated island, maybe i could catch the attention of some mermaids.

Bicep curls, baby. its all about impressing the ladies. Cept since im on a isolated island, maybe i could catch the attention of some mermaids.

Nice, Why didn't I think of that???. I guess looking back you could say the clean and press is considered 2 movements, if this is the case then I would cut it back to just the snatch for a ONE movement excercise. Besides, you can never get enough snatch :laugh

Nice, Why didn't I think of that???. I guess looking back you could say the clean and press is considered 2 movements, if this is the case then I would cut it back to just the snatch for a ONE movement excercise. Besides, you can never get enough snatch :laugh

Hard not to appreciate a good set of snatches :rock

- Aaron

-Rex

McDonald's and Starbucks are everywhere. Besides, there would be plenty of tasty animals running around; Lizards, monkeys, rodents, etc.

The jerk and clean :blink

Yeah, I'm sure after a few weeks alone on a deserted island we'd all be practicing up on the jerk and clean. LMAO, I'm crying right now :laugh

Deads. They've always been my favorite.