Hitting The Entire Tricep?

Pancake Sprawl

ok, so i've got yet ANOTHER problem that i need your guys help with. every time i do pressing movements it seems like i only get sore a little above my elbow, but i can feel the rest of my tricep closer to my shoulder and it doesn't get sore. it's like it doesn't even get hit. is this a muscle recruitment problem? i have fairly long arms and some of my friends have told me that is the reason, but they never tell me an answer on how to hit the entire thing.

i have the same problem with my biceps. another thing that has occurred to me is maybe it's just my genes and i have terrible insertions or whatever?

Edited by Pancake Sprawl

I definetely agree with close grips and skull crushers, however my primary tri builder is the dip, both body weight and weighted. I usually do my dips with a 45 lb plate hangin between my legs, I weigh 255 so thats a good 300 lbs that my tri's have to move (and some pecs as well) anyway, they work well for me.

A great way to isolate the area you're talking about is to lay on the ground w/ your elbows at your side, on the ground.

Now have somebody give you a loaded bar (straight for this one). Now, keeping your elbows on the ground and at your side,

lower the bar back towards your chest, pause, and the bring it forward again. Really kills the area by your elbow, and gives a really good stretch, too.

close grip bench and skullcrushers hit all heads of your tris nicely.

^ Yep. You can combine the two into one exercise, too. Take a narrow grip on an easy bar. Do a NGBP, then at the top, do

a skull-crusher, then come back down. That's one rep.

thanks guys, but what i was wonder is not the part by my elbow, that part gets hit really well it's the part closer to the shoulder? it doesn't ever feel sore.

thanks guys, but what i was wonder is not the part by my elbow, that part gets hit really well it's the part closer to the shoulder? it doesn't ever feel sore.

Ah, now I see what you mean. My favorite exercise for that is doing benchpress with the tricep bar; kills that area.

Other good ones for that would be rope-pull downs (works your triceps in places you've never felt),

reverse grip one-hand pull-downs, and - so I hear - reverse grip bench press, but I've never tried that one.

And where on your biceps aren't you getting sore? At the top of the ROM?

Edited by Magnus

Ah, now I see what you mean. My favorite exercise for that is doing benchpress with the tricep bar; kills that area.

Other good ones for that would be rope-pull downs (works your triceps in places you've never felt),

reverse grip one-hand pull-downs, and - so I hear - reverse grip bench press, but I've never tried that one.

And where on your biceps aren't you getting sore? At the top of the ROM?

yeah, my biceps don't feel like they're even flexing at the top of the ROM. plus they're the same as my triceps, they only get sore near the elbow, the upper part closer to my shoulder doesn't even feel like it's been hit a lot of the times.

I just gotta chime in again. If your trying to add some mass to your tricep(and we all should because its 2/3 of your upper arm, then stay away from the sissy kick backs and extensions, those are isolation movements. unless you have nice big meaty tri's already then stay away from the isolation stuff for right now. Focus on big mass building movements for the tri's. heavy overhead presses for me also hit the top of the tricep nicely, a nice heavy overhead press incorporates alot of the tricep as well as the shoulder. Kick backs, extensions etc are usefull tools for the tri, but Ask any big guy how he got nice beefy horseshoe tris and I bet he will say from Close grip presses, dips, and skullcrushers. The big bodybuilder guys in all the mags screaming at the top of there lungs while doing 10 sets of 20 rep kick backs didn't get their huge triceps from doing that. They spent a few years doing heavy basic movements and are now getting the definition needed to win some show. this is all my opinion however, but I know a little.

I just gotta chime in again. If your trying to add some mass to your tricep(and we all should because its 2/3 of your upper arm, then stay away from the sissy kick backs and extensions, those are isolation movements. unless you have nice big meaty tri's already then stay away from the isolation stuff for right now. Focus on big mass building movements for the tri's. heavy overhead presses for me also hit the top of the tricep nicely, a nice heavy overhead press incorporates alot of the tricep as well as the shoulder. Kick backs, extensions etc are usefull tools for the tri, but Ask any big guy how he got nice beefy horseshoe tris and I bet he will say from Close grip presses, dips, and skullcrushers. The big bodybuilder guys in all the mags screaming at the top of there lungs while doing 10 sets of 20 rep kick backs didn't get their huge triceps from doing that. They spent a few years doing heavy basic movements and are now getting the definition needed to win some show. this is all my opinion however, but I know a little.

oh yes, if there's one thing i knew was bench, deadlift, squat, pull ups and dips will make you a monster. the only thing is it just feels like certain muscles aren't really firing? i haven't lifted a while and only started getting back into it seriously late last year. so maybe my mind muscle connectivity or whatever isn't up to par yet.

Thats entirely true, the longer I lift, the more I really notice the mind muscle connection. For me, when I'm just not focused, my lifting, bending, grip or whatever it is I'm doing just isn't the same. Also, don't let muscle sorness alone be the only gauge you use for excercise effectiveness. SOmetimes I'm just not real sore, but that doesn't mean it's not working. I am doing a strength program right now which simply consists of 5 sets of 5 reps with the most weight possible. So I'm only doing a total of about 25 reps total for a particular excercise. I'm used to doing volume training (typical 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps) and with all that volume I would be much more sore the next few days. With the 5x5 program I am not as sore by any means, but I am getting bigger and stronger each workout. Just keep hammering away and keep your intensity at 100%, don't give your body a chance to grow if it wants to, make the S O B grow, its not optional!!!.

Soreness isn't always the best indicator of whether your working or not. Soreness right above the elbow might mean you're doing something wrong. I rarely get sore from close grip benches but just concentrate on getting stronger. I like to pick a power move like close grip benches, dips, jm presses, or board work and then do some more isolation work like pressdowns or skullcrushers.

If you don't feel the pain an alternative idea is to do volume and different lifts until you do, all in one day until you find what lights you up. Sometimes you have to test the limits right? Just be careful on the elbows.

Oh whoops, a lot like what Alaska said. I guess two great minds think alike.

Edited by AP

I like doing diamond pushups and single handed overhead presses (feels like it hits the core a bit too when trying to balance it). Even standard close stance pushups do a great job.

Soreness isn't always the best indicator of whether your working or not. Soreness right above the elbow might mean you're doing something wrong. I rarely get sore from close grip benches but just concentrate on getting stronger. I like to pick a power move like close grip benches, dips, jm presses, or board work and then do some more isolation work like pressdowns or skullcrushers.

If you don't feel the pain an alternative idea is to do volume and different lifts until you do, all in one day until you find what lights you up. Sometimes you have to test the limits right? Just be careful on the elbows.

Oh whoops, a lot like what Alaska said. I guess two great minds think alike.

should my muscles feel like they're being used? i don't mean soreness, i mean like should i feel them fill with blood and flex or is it alright if they don't? because i just did some really light squats yesterday trying to get back into it, and some explosive jumping with the weights and it feels like the front of my legs get hit really hard but my hamstring? and my butt doesn't seem to flex.

why i bring this up is because this is the same as my triceps and biceps. it feels like parts of those muscles aren't doing anything if that makes sense?

Edited by Pancake Sprawl

alot of the time your forearm or other smaller accessory muscles will simply get tired faster than the larger biceps muscles and triceps (or say only the short head of the bicep and not the long head will tire out) keep working at it. As for the butt I get muscle recruitment issues too. That is a training problem that I'm pretty sure will fix itself with time.

ok, so i've got yet ANOTHER problem that i need your guys help with. every time i do pressing movements it seems like i only get sore a little above my elbow, but i can feel the rest of my tricep closer to my shoulder and it doesn't get sore. it's like it doesn't even get hit. is this a muscle recruitment problem? i have fairly long arms and some of my friends have told me that is the reason, but they never tell me an answer on how to hit the entire thing.

i have the same problem with my biceps. another thing that has occurred to me is maybe it's just my genes and i have terrible insertions or whatever?

It might be a recruitment problem, what sort of weight/reps are you using.

To recruit all three heads of the triceps you have to go pretty heavy and really fire into the reps, you might just need to go a little heavier to get everyone playing in the game. ;)

All three heads come together into a common tendon

which inserts on the olecranon process of the

ulna. It should be noted that the olecranon process

extends beyond the elbow joint and prevents

excessive hyperextension. To work all the portions

of the triceps muscle maximally, increasingly

heavy weights must be used. For example, when

light or moderately heavy weights are used, only

the medial head of the triceps goes into action.

As the resistance increases, the lateral head

joins in, and when sufficiently heavy weights are

used, the long head goes into contraction

To recruit all three heads of the triceps you have to go pretty heavy and really fire into the reps, you might just need to go a little heavier to get everyone playing in the game. ;)

i'm using really light weight cuz i don't want to just jump in and get hurt, i'm just trying to get my muscles used to the movements with weight, so yeah maybe i'm just not going heavy enough.

I understand that you don't want to jump into it and get hurt... but using light weights isn't going to help you that much in hitting the muscles... A surefire way to cause more muscles to fire is to force them into it by using heavier weights. Now that doesn't mean to load everything up to superhuman levels. Weight is relative... Load up the weight just enough where you know you're working hard...

I see your weight and height...and you're actually really similar to my size... what kind of weights are we talking about?

Edited by Matthew Boylan

Oh yeah, I meant to say, it's triceps not tricep. :)

i'm using really light weight cuz i don't want to just jump in and get hurt, i'm just trying to get my muscles used to the movements with weight, so yeah maybe i'm just not going heavy enough.

Holy crap dude, your 6'5" and 315-325 lbs?. your a God Dang monster!!. I can tell you right now that at 6'5" and 300+ lbs that your bone structure and ligaments/tendons are pretty large. I'm not advocating jumping right in with heavy training, your being smart for easing into it to prevent injury, but then again, your not exactly a frail wispy individual. My guess is that with a few months of getting some good weight piled on the bar with close grips and dips, etc(big compound movements) your tris will blow up. experiment with volume and rep/set schemes. Everyone is different. Some people don't grow or feel any good pumps untill reps hit the 10-12 range and they grow, some guys can do 5 heavy reps and its all they need to grow. You have HULK potential with your height and weight man, take advantage of it, work hard and you will be(not that you arn't already)a menacing looking force.

should my muscles feel like they're being used? i don't mean soreness, i mean like should i feel them fill with blood and flex or is it alright if they don't? because i just did some really light squats yesterday trying to get back into it, and some explosive jumping with the weights and it feels like the front of my legs get hit really hard but my hamstring? and my butt doesn't seem to flex.

why i bring this up is because this is the same as my triceps and biceps. it feels like parts of those muscles aren't doing anything if that makes sense?

Some of the sensitivity will come with time, you will be more sensitive to the muscle flexing or getting pumped or whatever over time. If you are really new to lifting I would just focus for now on getting better with the bread and butter lifts and worry more about the pump later. Your hamstring/butt problem could be due to being new to squats or it could be how you are squatting. Make sure you have hard, flat soled shoes to squat with and that you are not coming up on your toes as you squat. Since your a tall dude a little heal might help (like in a workboot) and it will probably take some flexibility work too.As you get better at benching/pressing you'll better discover how your triceps are involved and will be able to work them better too.

try straight arm db pullovers. go heavey as possible, and add it to either your arm, chest or back day. they seem to give me some good sore feelings in the tricep area up by the shoulder. take care

Oh my word, I did it too :ohmy For shame :D

Same w/ biceps ;)

Same w/ biceps ;)

Just the pedant in me, I shouldn't let it needle me so! :laugh

Same w/ biceps ;)

Just the pedant in me, I shouldn't let it needle me so! :laugh

I'm the same way :D:laugh