• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• thewicked

• The Natural

• EricMilfeld

I got my three whites, so I should be able to show this now - you can't really see the close in this pic, but its a pretty cool shot

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/123299145..._890_353570.jpg

Wow! That is an exceptionally striking shot.

Well, I enjoyed every exhausting, stressful minute of the day. Seriously, a grip contest with a bunch of knuckleheads like you guys is the greatest! Paul and I are already stoked about planning the the fourth annual Show of Hands Grip Cup. It's a strange phenomenon. The day after a 12 hour contest and I'm biting at the bit for the next one. It sucks that traveling is so expensive, or I'd be attending every contest the globe over. May I offer a heartfelt "thank you" to all who showed up to support, help, and compete with us.

As I touched on before, my pinch was way down for this one. Several of us are in agreement that the atmospheric conditions must not have been suitable for big Euro pinches. But apparently Paul is immune to the type of conditions that trouble us mere mortals! Paul's pinch was supernatural.

On grippers I was satisfied, but not pleased. I came real close with a 163 pound Elite gripper twice.

Can't complain about a PR on the axle!

Nor can I complain about a bending PR.

And the medley is always the funnest event for me, despite the fact that it's not my best event. Planning and creating them is a treat too.

Ryan, I hope your not just teasing us with your talk of taking this whole grip thing seriously. Man, that would be awesome to see what you could "really do" with a little bit of focused training under your power belt!

Mucho respect for the Jedder! He ain't afraid to risk his formidable reputation and put it all on the line anytime, anywhere. And consistently deliver he does! No grip meet is complete without Mr. Johnson.

Paul did me very proud. I told him ahead of time that he had a very legitimate shot at defeating Jedd, and he darn near did. And he's far from finished with his meteoric progress!

Mark, your sense of humor and antics proved to be just right medicine for me on more than one occasion. :) And nice lifting, too! Like you say, take it seriously and the sky's the limit. Anyone who can deadlift 500 by training a 300 pound axle for a few weeks is some kind of gifted!

Joe was not recruited to come out and take all those great shots. That's just the way Joe does it! I hope to see you again in April, buddy!

Like I said before, Rex was on fire Saturday. After grippers I was just about resigned to the fact that a top three finish was out of the question. Start hitting your wrists, Blobmaster, and you'll be on anyone's short list of gripsters!

Kevin and Casey Emery both lifted with all heart with some mighty impressive results. Kevin, in particular, has made some stellar gains recently! Get healthy, Case, and get revenge. lol

Greg, it was great to see you again and meeting your daughter was very nice. She seemed to be having a good time. :) And wait till you see what event we will be adding to the Show of Hands this year. Your specialty!

Alex, Cody, and Mike and all the other garage regulars: I'm not sure if you guys are board members, but thanks a bunch for coming out to compete and lend support! Hope it won't be your last outing.

Oh, and I hurt my thumb on my second attempt bend with the 585 pound bar, but I still took it to about 60 degrees! :rock:laugh:cry And I was all psyched to tie Jedd and Paul on bending, too. Get better thumb, I'm ready to pinch again. :mellow

It sounds like you put on another great contest Eric - but then I doubt anybody expected anything else, you always get all the details just right - I've got to get me a transporter - like you - I'd love to go to every darn grip meet there is. Unlike you - 24 hours after Gripmas, I was still saying "Never again". It took me a couple days before I started thinking about what I was going to do to make next year better. It took me that long to clean up my gym and get it put back together again.

Questions

How did you like the new scoring system - do you plan to keep it and did any weaknesses show up in scoring the medley or other events?

What do you think made for the long time frame - and what might work better? Length of competition is something all of we promoters fight against every time.

I got my three whites, so I should be able to show this now - you can't really see the close in this pic, but its a pretty cool shot

Well, I enjoyed every exhausting, stressful minute of the day. Seriously, a grip contest with a bunch of knuckleheads like you guys is the greatest! Paul and I are already stoked about planning the the fourth annual Show of Hands Grip Cup. It's a strange phenomenon. The day after a 12 hour contest and I'm biting at the bit for the next one. It sucks that traveling is so expensive, or I'd be attending every contest the globe over. May I offer a heartfelt "thank you" to all who showed up to support, help, and compete with us.

As I touched on before, my pinch was way down for this one. Several of us are in agreement that the atmospheric conditions must not have been suitable for big Euro pinches. But apparently Paul is immune to the type of conditions that trouble us mere mortals! Paul's pinch was supernatural.

On grippers I was satisfied, but not pleased. I came real close with a 163 pound Elite gripper twice.

And the medley is always the funnest event for me, despite the fact that it's not my best event. Planning and creating them is a treat too.

Ryan, I hope your not just teasing us with your talk of taking this whole grip thing seriously. Man, that would be awesome to see what you could "really do" with a little bit of focused training under your power belt!

Mucho respect for the Jedder! He ain't afraid to risk his formidable reputation and put it all on the line anytime, anywhere. And consistently deliver he does! No grip meet is complete without Mr. Johnson.

Paul did me very proud. I told him ahead of time that he had a very legitimate shot at defeating Jedd, and he darn near did. And he's far from finished with his meteoric progress!

Mark, your sense of humor and antics proved to be just right medicine for me on more than one occasion. :) And nice lifting, too! Like you say, take it seriously and the sky's the limit. Anyone who can deadlift 500 by training a 300 pound axle for a few weeks is some kind of gifted!

Joe was not recruited to come out and take all those great shots. That's just the way Joe does it! I hope to see you again in April, buddy!

Like I said before, Rex was on fire Saturday. After grippers I was just about resigned to the fact that a top three finish was out of the question. Start hitting your wrists, Blobmaster, and you'll be on anyone's short list of gripsters!

Kevin and Casey Emery both lifted with all heart with some mighty impressive results. Kevin, in particular, has made some stellar gains recently! Get healthy, Case, and get revenge. lol

Greg, it was great to see you again and meeting your daughter was very nice. She seemed to be having a good time. :) And wait till you see what event we will be adding to the Show of Hands this year. Your specialty!

Alex, Cody, and Mike and all the other garage regulars: I'm not sure if you guys are board members, but thanks a bunch for coming out to compete and lend support! Hope it won't be your last outing.

Oh, and I hurt my thumb on my second attempt bend with the 585 pound bar, but I still took it to about 60 degrees! :rock:laugh:cry And I was all psyched to tie Jedd and Paul on bending, too. Get better thumb, I'm ready to pinch again. :mellow

Eric it is because of you and Paul helping me is only reason why ive gotten to this Level. Everyone in the contest had PR's and I think thats how GREAT contests are suppose to be. Everyone in the contest was really cool and to the garage heads well train harder to come back better. Thanks Paul and Eric

Eric it is because of you and Paul helping me is only reason why ive gotten to this Level. Everyone in the contest had PR's and I think thats how GREAT contests are suppose to be. Everyone in the contest was really cool and to the garage heads well train harder to come back better. Thanks Paul and Eric

no doubt man..if it wasn't for paul and eric i wouldn't be in this and all of it never would've happened. huge thanks to both of them.

This is Ryne Sandhagen performing on the Axle - I had a couple people ask me "is that Andrew Durniat?" he looks alot like him and he is going to be someone to watch - he has done maybe 2-3 grip workouts with us at the gym before the comp and agreed to compete - I think he's pulling around 360+ in the pic ........... he's a natural

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/123299145...890_1301345.jpg

Edited by Paul Knight

This is Ryne Sandhagen performing on the Axle - I had a couple people ask me "is that Andrew Durniat?" he looks alot like him and he is going to be someone to watch - he has done maybe 2-3 grip workouts with us at the gym before the comp and agreed to compete - I think he's pulling around 360+ in the pic ........... he's a natural

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/123299145...890_1301345.jpg

That dude was S T R O N G. His 2hp was great too.

Not only was he STRONG! He was very friendly and was eager

to learn anything he could about grip training.

Mighty Joe

The level of support & comraderie among the competitors at this comp. was very motivating. The intensity that everybody maintained for 11 hours (well, 10 including a VERY fulfilling lunch break) was nothing short of spectacular. I thought Casey was going to pass out after his attempt on a Grade 8 bolt.

Special Thanks go to the good Dr. Eric Milfeld for his legwork and attention to detail; Mr. Paul Knight for your patience with an eager beginning gripster, your expert explanations, and the invitation; Mark DeSouza for your ComedicReliefEvenAtMetroflex; and Jedd Johnson for the sound advice and words of encouragement.

It was TRULY an honor to compete along side such a strong field of grip MANIACS.

It sounds like you put on another great contest Eric - but then I doubt anybody expected anything else, you always get all the details just right - I've got to get me a transporter - like you - I'd love to go to every darn grip meet there is. Unlike you - 24 hours after Gripmas, I was still saying "Never again". It took me a couple days before I started thinking about what I was going to do to make next year better. It took me that long to clean up my gym and get it put back together again.

Questions

How did you like the new scoring system - do you plan to keep it and did any weaknesses show up in scoring the medley or other events?

What do you think made for the long time frame - and what might work better? Length of competition is something all of we promoters fight against every time.

Thank you, Chris. :)

I really like the scoring system, the extra work it entails notwithstanding. The medley as we contested it did require a bit of educated guesswork in attempting to keep all the point values proportionate, but I was happy with results. Setting up medleys really gets the creative juices flowing! I know you can vouch for that, Chris!

Yes, the contest ran so long it didn't allow for after hours fun. And that's too long. It's actually all Paul's fault. He talked me into four attempts. :laugh Oh wait, or did I talk him into it... Anyways, having four attempts is a nice luxury, but it may not be so practical. A lot of the guys were first time competitors, which will slow things down as well. For example, other than Paul and myself, only about three other guys showed up with wraps. And there was a lot of tutoring going on. Not complaining here - that's what it's all about, but it does eat up time. Also, more responsibilities should have been delegated ahead of time. In a word, help. It can't be a one, two, or even a three man show putting on a contest.

I wan't to thank:

At Large Nutrition for sponsoring us this year - Awesome prizes! Chris sent us $75 dollar gift certificates for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place! Wow! thanks Chris! Ryan left the comp early so I haven't given him your banner yet - I'll give it to him next workout - thanks again!

FBBC - I think John sponsors evey single contest out there! Can't thank you enough John - very cool prizes - I finally have the FBBC T-shirt that I've been wanting! and he also gave us some grippers ......... the FBBC Super AKA the FBBC Stupid, as Jedd puts it ........ its stupid hard! hahaha he also gave some cool wind-up muscle men too - very cool!

Ironmind - for helping with the Axle

and Central Market for feeding all the atheletes with a healthy organic meal - yummy.

I also want to give a special thanks to Eric for all his hard work calibrating everything - I know how much that sux! and doing an awesome job judging and scoring and lugging all the weight around! thanks buddy!

also to everyone of the competitors that helped load and unload the weights too, and to the volunteers that helped w/that too.

I also want to thank the DieselCrew - Jedd brought some DVD's when he came out for the prize packages - Thanks guys! that was a last minute suprise!

• 2 weeks later...

One thing about that type of scoring system is that is guesswork. Very good guesswork at times, but still a little guesswork. I think if you are into it, the only real drawback is that new, unusual, or timed holds+medley events will be hard to get right. I think Eric did as good of job as anyone could. I think out of the two non-strongman scoring systems I like the percent one better. Either way isn't a deal breaker for me though. Sounds like a great contest!

• 7 months later...
Some more vids.

Paul 2hp

Jedd 2hp

That was almost 8 months ago ... I looked like a tub of lard!

I think that was my 214 pull ...

Some more vids.

Paul 2hp

Jedd 2hp

That was almost 8 months ago ... I looked like a tub of lard!

I think that was my 214 pull ...

I think you really hit your bodyweight peak closer to SOH than MM.

-Rex

Some more vids.

Paul 2hp

Jedd 2hp

Thanks for posting dude.

you still have that ATLARGE banner paul? any way you can bring it to eric's comp this saturday since atlarge nutrition is sponsoring it too? That would be cool! Along with some matching dimes lol!

give me a ring a ding since texts don't work or pm me later!

you still have that ATLARGE banner paul? any way you can bring it to eric's comp this saturday since atlarge nutrition is sponsoring it too? That would be cool! Along with some matching dimes lol!

give me a ring a ding since texts don't work or pm me later!

gave that back to you right after the comp .... ding-dong, anyone home?