Metroplex Mayhem Flash Results

EricMilfeld

Here's the top five with their point totals:

1) Jedd Johnson 1159 points

2) Paul Knight 1140

3) Eric Milfeld (I've heard that name somewhere before) 1088

4) Rex Hubbard 1026

5) Rendy Delacruz 983

A lot of personal bests were set, but no world records this time. I think the contest was an overall great success. A lot of fun as always, and a ton of heart was shown on the platform by the 17 competitors.

I was quite happy with my own performance, save my favorite event, the Euro Pinch. The one event in which I hoped to do really well proved to be my weakest today, but I can't complain as I did get a personal best in the axle and reverse bending.

Paul was on fire in every event and darn near stole the win from Jedd. I'll let Paul or Jedd share some of the amusing details on their battle. Rex smoked 4 of the 5 events, but fell of the pace just enough with the reverse bending to allow me to sneak ahead.

Rendy is a beast. Brute strength that could prove unstoppable with some technique refinement, especially in the bending department. There's a Youtube vid of him pulling a 745 deadlift!

Of course there will be much more to follow, but I have to get to bed so I can crawl into work tomorrow.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• thewicked

• The Natural

• EricMilfeld

Congrats guys! Sounds like a hell of a battle there. Look forward to seeing the results of the battle.

Congrats, 17 guys is a great turnout. Good work on 1st place Jedd, and a close second for Paul. Looks like the US nationals are going to be strong this year

congrats on the contest and to the winners. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

brent

Congrads to all looking forward to seeing the list of lbs moved and videos

The contest was a huge success!

I went and supported my oldest son Shane and

took lots of pictures.

I'll be e-mailing the competitors their pictures throught the day.

Hopefully they'll post them in their galleries so you can see them.

If you competed and I don't know who you are by your screen name,

please chime in and let me know so I can e-mail you some pics. I made a

point to get pics of every single competitor.

Just a few comments here:

If you've never met Jedd Johnson you're in for a treat. First Class

guy all the way! Encylopediac knowledge of strength training. Monster

hands! Solid as a rock! Great job Jedd!

Paul Knight is a rare breed. I can't even imagine where he'll be in another year.

Put on a great contest. I witnessed him close the MM6, UNREAL! It seems there's

nothing he's not good at. Paul and Jedd were very helpful to all competitors by

showing them little tips that really helped. Even something as simple as spitting on

your hands.

Eric Millfeld kept score and worked his tail off with this contest. He deserves a special medal

just for his HARD work. We need to nick name Eric the "Professor". Eric is precise in all

he does. Technical perfection! If you do a feat in front of Eric and he says it's good, there's

no need for a video. It happened! Eric was intense in every event and was a threat at all times.

It was an pleasure being around such a great group of grip athletes who gave 110%. There was

a female competitor also. This girl was tiny, but packed some dynamite in her hands. She lifted

more than her bodyweight in the Axle Dead Lift. Great job Carolyn!

I'll let someone else give all the details. Hope everyone enjoys their pics! I had a really great time

and enjoyed meeting everyone I didn't already know.

Mighty Joe

Edited by Mighty Joe

Congrats to all!

And, I am not surprised about Eric. He's been an organized well oiled MACHINE running the Mash Monster certs. So much so that he's leaving me in the dust! :rock

Congratulations to everyone! Can't wait to see the overall results. Wish I could have been there!

Sounds awesome! I can't want to see some more detailed results :cool

I had an awesome time competing w/everyone - didn't realize how bad it sucks putting together a contest - alot more work than I realized and Eric did a ton of it! gee wiz! I got Pr's on everything except grippers - well I guess the MM6 is a PR ........ the grippers we had went from Chad's SE to Kevin Emery's #4 - I felt good on Chad's SE, but I needed something inbetween the SE and the 4 because I couldn't quite get the 4 - still pleased w/my performance, considering I did a gripper cert before doing grippers. Anywho - Eric has all the numbers on paper with him, so I guess he will post the final #'s for everyone to see. My hands feel like they've been put through a grinder, but it was worth it :D can't wait for the next one! I'll elaborate more after Eric posts all the results.

Great job everyone :rock I can't wait to see the full results and all the videos!!!

Congrats everybody!!! I knew the battle between Paul and Jedd would be interesting, can't wait to hear all of the details.

Here are some things I noticed during the competition.

-The contest was organized and well-run. Big thanks to Eric for that. The only real flaw I noticed was that the two guys who volunteered to load the axle couldn't seem to understand plain English. Luckily, we were able to spot most of the mistakes before the lifter made his attempt. Eric was the only one, in fact, who made an axle attempt on a bar that was not properly loaded (about 100 pounds too light). Eric agreed to go for the lift again not a minute after he made the invalid attempt, so big props to him for manning up like that. 357 pounds went up like it was a warm-up lift.

-Jedd went for a new WR twice, but failed. He came back very strong, though, to take first place in 2HP. Congrats to him for putting up a very good number after two hard struggles with a WR weight. I took 2nd in this event, with a lift of 224.something. I held it at the top, so I probably had a few more pounds in me. 230 is the new short-term goal.

-The axle texture at this comp was the best I've felt so far. Even with 17 competitors taking 3+ attempts, it remained consistently good.

-I killed the 157# Elite, and I was very sure that I felt the handles touch when I attempted the 163# Elite. It opened immediately, though, and Eric said he could see a paper-thin gap between the handles. Paul tells me that the 163# Elite is a little harder than the MM2, so within the next two weeks I'll go ahead and knock out the MM1 cert and then the MM2 after that.

-Nobody lifted the Metroflex Inch in the contest, though Ryan Johnson lifted it after he quit the contest (he had to leave early). He lifted it twice, actually, within a minute's time, so had he chosen to stay for the medley, he would have been the only competitor to lift it. Jedd, Paul, and I each got it about a foot off the ground, not bad since the medley was the last event.

I realized yesterday how useless a certain lift is, in terms of getting ahead in competition, unless you can do it when your hands are tired. Doing a feat in your garage when your hands are fresh is no guarantee that you'll be able to pull it off when it matters in a competition. I train at Metroflex, so I'm going to start testing myself on this Inch after my strongman training. When I can lift it with either hand after training strongman events, I'll be able to lift any Inch in any grip competition.

-I appreciated the intensity and focus that the newbies (and regulars) showed during the contest. There was a little more silliness and horseplay than I prefer when it comes to competition, but overall, I liked the attitude of the competitors. The sport seems to be heading in the right direction.

-The competition was long. We started at 10 AM and did not finish until after 8:30 PM (we had about a one hour lunch break). Because of this, there were none of the usual post-competition feat performances. We were all tired and hungry. I slept around 11 hours last night, not including the additional hour of sleep I got while on Paul's couch after the Fedor fight was over.

Congrats to all the competitors, and big congrats to Paul for the MM6. I wasn't there when he made his attempt, but I'm betting he crushed it.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Two comments stand out.

One: over long competitions are never a good thing. I've done 11 hours and 9 hours and they kill ya.

Two: you've noted what others have said before and most recently me. Ad hoc feats count for nothing. Winning events does.

Joe has already sent me some pics - I'm sure he's taken alot more - if he emails them to you, we should all post them in here

here's a couple good ones (axle and pinch)

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/123159050...890_1304533.jpg

http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/123159050..._890_997779.jpg

you can click on the image to enlarge it

thanks for all your hard work Joe! I'm sooo happy you and Shane came out!

Edited by Paul Knight

Joe has already sent me some pics - I'm sure he's taken alot more - if he emails them to you, we should all post them in here

Thanks Paul!

I'm glad you like the pics.

I really enjoyed taking them.

Mighty Joe

Here's another very fine picture Joe took:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=8374

Thanks Eric!

I'm sending you an 8x10 print of your favorite pic

for calibrating my old IM #4.

Glad you like your pics.

You did a wonderful job at the contest as organizer

and competitor.

Mighty Joe

Congrats to everyone who competed! :rock Thanks to Joe for taking pics...I'm sure all the guys & gal appreciate it.

Paul you need to do some neck work :D:bow What do you weigh? Eaton and I seem to have different opinions/guesses on this :D