4 Dime's Plate Pinch

wlong132003

Bill, have you tried lifting five dimes with a pipe between them yet? Here is another strategy you could try.

after trying this lift the other day.. you da man! I have big hands and the plates kept blowing out of the bottom of each other. I just couldn't get them started! Congrats on the 4! I have yet to even come close.

got to make sure you chalk the tops/edges of the plates were your pinching them together and of course your hands chalked up. Keep training you will get it.

Bill, have you tried lifting five dimes with a pipe between them yet? Here is another strategy you could try.

Bob - have you been training this way for very long? I just started doing the same thing

Paul, I did it for several workouts last summer/fall. I'll likely return to it after Gripmas, but I kept tearing my thumb up on it so I may need to find some different plates or buy a grinder to use for the edge of one. For you, it is more like lifting a hex-which is a strength of yours, so I think you will get six dimes with perseverance.

I just wanted to show Bill so he could get some more ideas about how to train for a plate pinch that is a bit wide for his hand-six tens is a bit too wide for me but likely similar in the stretch we are each getting on our hands, depending on other characteristics of Bill's hand.

bob the way you pulled the 6 plates is really easy the problem most people have is the bad cast on the plates that never line up even one little piece of cast steel sticking out will make your plates pop out of your hand in a second as for the edge of the plates some tens have a beveled edge even my standerds some --- all are different and each weight more than ten pounds maybe you can find 6 plates and file the burs down then get two with beveled edges and chalk them up good and you will get the 6 tens bill can use this information also for his 5 tens just take two tens place them face to back and see all the light between them maybe 50 percent of the plate touches because of the poor casting good luck in your lifting

Thanks for the great information Dan, do you really think I'm close enough that such factors would make enough of a difference to complete the lift?

I hadn't thought of the casting much. I still think ridiculous strength is needed to keep the loose plates from fanning and dropping at this width-even with ideal casting, although of course it would be a little easier for larger-handed men. I don't know if I have the patience to see which plates fit best together and file accordingly-but I understand what you are saying about imperfections contributing to making them "pop out". I don't want to "cheat the feat", but may end up sabotaging myself if the plates are ill-fitting enough and I usually cut the area where my thumb bends on the outside plate's edge after less than 5 attempts.

Five dimes is easy for me with either Standard or York plates (Blob worked helped a lot, enabled me to do five dimes RH the first time I tried), but the best I've done with six loose plates is break them all about an inch off the ground. With a three-pound pipe I've done six dimes plus a 1.25 lb. platemate and broken +2.5 lbs. extra in platemates off the ground.

Of course, it is a lot easier to lift plates that are connected with tape or a pipe. I wonder how much extra weight you'd need to pull with connected plates than you would to lift the loose plates? My guess is about 10-15% more, so (hypothetically) thewicked would need to lift 44-46 lbs. including pipe to pull four loose plates, Bill would need to lift 55-57.5 to pull five. Paul and I would need 66-69 to pull six. Any other guesses or better yet, experience with this?

Please keep us posted Bill. You may pull it off faster than you think you will. Find a way to attach the plates and practice like that for a while, adding weight as needed. If you can't lift the five attached plates: do negatives, bounce the weights off a mini-tramp or cushion and/or provide assistance as needed on the thumb side with the other hand. If you measure from your thumb-tip to pinky tip as well it will also help determine how tough this will be for you. Good luck!

Bob that was some crazy math you did there. I will try the pipe in the middle trick and see what happens and I may take 4 plates and hang some weights off it and try the cardboard in between the plates at the same time...I am going to try everything. I hope don't know if it will happen but now after all this talk I am going to try for the beginning of the new year to pull this off its real easy right now with my right hand and a little difficult with the left but I have no doubt I can do it with some more TRAINING.

Six 10's was not easy for me. If you look at the video of me doing blob plus 15, it seems to come up faster than the 6 10's. There may not be a perfect correlation between blob lifting and the lifting of more blockish weights, but it's close, and the speed off the floor is informative. I did blob plus 2.5 pounds on the same night I first did 5 10's. 6 10's came about a month after doing blob plus 17. There's a big difference between 5 and 6, bigger than some people may think.

-Rex

I still think ridiculous strength is needed to keep the loose plates from fanning and dropping at this width-even with ideal casting,

Yes, but you've got that.

Bill: I've been using 5X5(Kg, I'm in the UK) gaffer taped together to make a block weight, and I think it's really helping, once I can get that every time I'm going to lose the tape and put a loose fitting pipe in, then I'll add weight to the pipe.

Six 10's was not easy for me. If you look at the video of me doing blob plus 15, it seems to come up faster than the 6 10's. There may not be a perfect correlation between blob lifting and the lifting of more blockish weights, but it's close, and the speed off the floor is informative. I did blob plus 2.5 pounds on the same night I first did 5 10's. 6 10's came about a month after doing blob plus 17. There's a big difference between 5 and 6, bigger than some people may think.

-Rex

Thanks a lot for your input Rex. I would be interested in how much total weight you can lift now with six 10s with a pipe through them or taped together plus weight. Since you said it was not easy for you, maybe it would help us know what type of goal weight we should be shooting for before we remove the pipe.
I still think ridiculous strength is needed to keep the loose plates from fanning and dropping at this width-even with ideal casting,

Thanks Twig! Maybe I'll feel that way the day I pull six dimes, two 45s or the Inch, but those lifts sometimes leave me feeling addlepated and in need of new training approaches.

Bill: I've been using 5X5(Kg, I'm in the UK) gaffer taped together to make a block weight, and I think it's really helping, once I can get that every time I'm going to lose the tape and put a loose fitting pipe in, then I'll add weight to the pipe.

I may tape mine together or use the pipe I am thinking tape I don't know depends on what I feel like.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have been using a piece of cardboard in between the plates may up it to two this week...Thanks for the intrest Odin. I will try to get a video up of the cardboard lifts.

I cut up some 3/4" plywood discs almost the same thickness of my York 10s

I'm now lifting 3-10s with my ring & pinky fingers working on 4-10s with the plywood

I may try some plywood as it probably has some grip to it. I tried 2 cardboard pies today and it was just to slick. I have a PVC pipe I have been using for my 2 hand pinch to add weight.