Horrible Form Being Taught Or Should I Say Not Taught

Bill Piche

People get hurt with good form too.

There's a definite distinction between people blurring terms and just bad form. If a squat isn't deep enough then it's not a legit squat, and shouldn't be compared to others that are (even though it may be a great feat in and of itself of course). But, hitching and finishing position aside, it's a lot more difficult to bend over a barbell and pick it up without it being a legit deadlift, no matter how dangerous it might look.

Edited by The Mac

Not trying to start an arguement here. But they are lifting with bad form. Sure the weight they are lifting is impressive, ill admit i cant do it, but lifting like that is a good way to get injured. It seems the only reason you guys are letting it slide is because they are using heavy weight. If you saw some guy at the gym using the same form but instead of 70 lb dumbbell curls they were using 20 lb dumbbells. ALL of you would be saying this guy is going to get injured and he doesnt know what hes doing. Probably someone at the gym would stop him. i agree with the point that "if its working for him and hes not getting injured let him do what he wants" sure fine. He will have to learn the hard way(getting injured) But these videos are not a good example of how to lift, regardess of the weight they are using.

Wow, I have seen a bunch of those, but not the red neck little kid or the power cleans. I can honestly say I have never before seen anyone try and spot a power clean. The child is just depressing, but rednecks will be rednecks I guess.

I have wondered about the whole back rounding argument too. The first video with the 9thn grader was bad. He practically stiff legged that from the start. But some of the others didn't seem so bad. I deadlift with some back rounding, my back is just allot stronger than my legs, that is why I can deadlift allot more than I can squat. But if I could just hang on and squat the bar up like some people seem to advocate, that isn't really a deadlift is it?

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=QfZQs3OFxUg

Like that one, is it really so bad? The guy obviously has some long legs and isn't really built well for DL anyways, I don't think he did so bad. He really bends his legs pretty far and doesn't raise his hips first until the last couple and even that wasn't drastic.

I used to worry about how much I rounded my back, but then I started lifting atlas stones and steel scrolling. Now my deadlifts feel strict by comparison.

I think the major issue here is lack of knowledge and the people teaching most of the young people in these videos. It is one thing for a knowledgable adult to make an informed descion to break form a little or allot for a specific reason. Having a kid do it that doesn't even know what the hell is going on, that really isn't fair.

Edited by timiacobucci

Most of the best deadlifters will deadlift roundback. So will alot more minor deadlifters who get nice injuries. Some will get away with it, some won't- Body structure and luck will tell.

I stopped caring about the form of others long ago. Once you see dozens of 600+ deadlifters use a rounded back, without ever having an injury, you come to question conventional wisdom about form. There's a lot of loser-mentality involved in much of the form criticism. "Yeah that's a good weight but that form was horrible!". Yeah, well. He lifts more than you and he never gets hurt. Deal with it.

-Rex

Yeah like all the D-bags and their crappy comments on Mike Millers 1,200 squat. I would LOVE to see anyone of the clowns who posted on that video squat 50% of Mikes max. Everyone one of them says "its not low enough" --the judges showed 3 white lights...

It's true. I have given up correcting people at work - it obviously works for them I guess

Boy's I've got you all beat

Vid 3 is just a classic for so many reasons.

Oh MY! You did beat me. That is probably the most horrible thing I ever saw to date and the "coach" and what he did too. :blink

Oh MY! You did beat me. That is probably the most horrible thing I ever saw to date and the "coach" and what he did too. :blink

Oh Man!!!! :blink (vid 3)I was just waiting for that kid to stumble backwards and snap his tib/fib!!! WAY too much weight for that squirrel! He looked like Gumby squirming under that weight.

LMFAO

Man. Waxing nostalgic right now. These videos remind me so much of my HS weight room. Insanity!

For a while during HS, it was considered "cool" amongst football players to let go of the bar with one hand, while doing squats, and put the free hand on one's thigh while coming out of the hole. Everyone would be like "Hell yeah! That guy does whatever it takes to finish the lift!"

-Rex

I don't think this has been posted here before (didn't see all the vids)

This has got to be THE worst deadlift form I've seen (I rarely EVER complain about the form, but this is just nuts)

And these two videos showing a different guy doing "hammercurls" or whatever you wanna call it. Check em out heh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plixe8BsyZA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLs3KDGhRis

Cheers

This has got to be THE worst deadlift form I've seen (I rarely EVER complain about the form, but this is just nuts)

And these two videos showing a different guy doing "hammercurls" or whatever you wanna call it. Check em out heh

Cheers

Is that guy in the first video serious or is he demonstrating how to injure your back with a deadlift?

Oh Man!!!! :blink (vid 3)I was just waiting for that kid to stumble backwards and snap his tib/fib!!! WAY too much weight for that squirrel! He looked like Gumby squirming under that weight.

I just see a black guy doing real heavy barbell curls while frontsquatting at the same time, needed a different spotter for each attempt... :whacked

That coach should be :flame or at least :trout

Trying to hurt his trainees is no fun!

If you read what the topic says on the clip, you'll understand that he doesn't pull that way.

If you read what the topic says on the clip, you'll understand that he doesn't pull that way.

I wouldn't even do that for a tutorial. That's just...spooky.

Cheers

The "Hammer Curls" look more like a high pull/shrug combo or something. And yeah the original guy was doing that as a tutorial, but if you ask me I wouldn't risk my back doing a tutorial of how not to lift.

Somehow I made myself believe he uploaded someone elses video.. doh.. well I suck :blush