Horrible Form Being Taught Or Should I Say Not Taught

Bill Piche

That hurt me watching it, his lumbar spine was rounded before he even left the ground :(

Lol, I love how the guy yells "head-up"...yeah, above ALL things, no matter what your back looks like, just make sure your head is up :rolleyes

Here are some good ones, both by Nate...yeah, THAT Nate (for those that know who I'm talking about ;))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOPOkuynmCo

Oh, and here's another goody:

Judging by the background, they apparently already threw him out of the other gym.

Edited by Magnus

Lol, I love how the guy yells "head-up"...yeah, above ALL things, no matter what your back looks like, just make sure your head is up :rolleyes

Here are some good ones, both by Nate...yeah, THAT Nate (for those that know who I'm talking about ;))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOPOkuynmCo

Oh, and here's another goody:

Judging by the background, they apparently already threw him out of the other gym.

That little kid (2nd one) scares the begeezus out of me. I keep waiting for that weight that's being bounced off of his chest to crush in his small, undeveloped ribcage. The 3rd video with the "cheat curls" might as well be a one arm hang clean with terrible form.

You know that saying 'Those who cannot do, teach?'

The follow-up is, 'Those you cannot do, cannot because they don't frackin' know how...don't listen to them.'

Boy's I've got you all beat

Vid 3 is just a classic for so many reasons.

Wow, that's some serious lifting :unsure:inno:rolleyes:ohmy:upsidedwn:trout

i like this one.

if he's only working a certain range of movement then that's alright...that's similar to what a lot of people do for armwrestling training to work short range movements with heavy weight.

No suprise, most HS strength coaches are weak de-conditioned and have poor lifting experience. it is interesting to me how many people i know graduate HS with some kind of injury relating to Football. I have to ask myself, is it the game or the training?

Boy's I've got you all beat

Vid 3 is just a classic for so many reasons.

Couple questions: Were they using a 1" Bar? Because that's what it looked like. WTF? Since when is the coach supposed to guide their form? WOW I thought my form was imperfect but just wow.

Why are you knocking Nate? I seriously doubt you can do ANY of the things he posted on his page.

How many 17-year olds can cheat curl within 17-pounds of their bodyweight with one arm? I wouldn't be surprised if he's the only one.

What I have found is most of Nate's critics are morons when they post their own lifting stuff - boring, non-newsworthy crap you see at the gym every day.

Why are you knocking Nate?

You mean I even have to explain why? :blink

Good grief, watch his 205lb cheat curl. He's basically playing limbo with the barbell. Then, I go on to read and hear him claim that he does it with 270lb. Now, what the heck is he doing adding another 65lb more to a weight that's already way to much? And how ugly is that one? :blink

I seriously doubt you can do ANY of the things he posted on his page.

Just for kicks, I tried the 165lb Barbell curl. I did it with the same form, except I controlled my negative. So yeah, I can. And I've been lifting for about 1/3 of the time he has, so it goes to show that you can make good strength gains without using horrible form. And I'm sure there are LOTS of other guys my age who are way stronger than me.

How many 17-year olds can cheat curl within 17-pounds of their bodyweight with one arm? I wouldn't be surprised if he's the only one.

Not a cheat curl, it's jerking a weight up, pulling the elbows back, ducking under it, bending over backwards, then letting the weight drop straight down with no negative, while hanging off of a power rack.

What I have found is most of Nate's critics are morons when they post their own lifting stuff - boring, non-newsworthy crap you see at the gym every day.

Well I won't deny that, but I hope I wasn't meant to take that personally.

Edited by Magnus

I stopped caring about the form of others long ago. Once you see dozens of 600+ deadlifters use a rounded back, without ever having an injury, you come to question conventional wisdom about form. There's a lot of loser-mentality involved in much of the form criticism. "Yeah that's a good weight but that form was horrible!". Yeah, well. He lifts more than you and he never gets hurt. Deal with it.

-Rex

I stopped caring about the form of others long ago. Once you see dozens of 600+ deadlifters use a rounded back, without ever having an injury, you come to question conventional wisdom about form. There's a lot of loser-mentality involved in much of the form criticism. "Yeah that's a good weight but that form was horrible!". Yeah, well. He lifts more than you and he never gets hurt. Deal with it.

-Rex

Yeah like all the D-bags and their crappy comments on Mike Millers 1,200 squat. I would LOVE to see anyone of the clowns who posted on that video squat 50% of Mikes max. Everyone one of them says "its not low enough" --the judges showed 3 white lights...

Well, I think it gets down to what you are training for. The guy doing preacherpad partials with 4 plates or whatever, if he is doing them for curls or calling them curls, that is incorrect. If he is doing them for partials to work for something like AW, then that would be alright. But these are two very different things. A partial curl should not be called a curl, they aren't even done for the same reasons. Some people have different training goals and train for different movements.

how did the guy in green ever get a job...coaching anything? that's plain dangerous...

lmao@guy doing partial on curls with 4 plates...classic

I sent my wife's cousin the one that Wanna posted where someone was spotting the DL as kind of a "beat that". He told me he'd seen a vid where someone spots a powerclean and he finally found it and sent it. I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.

-Rex

Yeah like all the D-bags and their crappy comments on Mike Millers 1,200 squat. I would LOVE to see anyone of the clowns who posted on that video squat 50% of Mikes max. Everyone one of them says "its not low enough" --the judges showed 3 white lights...

Yeah. If I was in complete control of reality, I'd collect the personal information of all those who leave such comments, and use that information to determine who lives and who dies when resources become scarce in the near future. Leave a YouTube complaint about someone's form and a black van shows up in front of your house.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

-Rex

It's a fine line. Many organizations have long sold out any credibility they had. Pretty much everything aside from IPF is so rediculous that it stopped being powerlifting. Soon we will have a walkout with 1500 considered a legit squat. Is that a lot of weight? sure is...but that's not a squat...and I dont need to match the strength feat to be able to point it out...

With that said....the people doing curls with horrible form are missing several things:

#1 definition of a test of strength (usually a compound lift..)

#2 full range of motion

#3 some agreed upon form

#4 risks of injury

Also how do you know those with horrible form never get hurt? Many of them do and you never find out about it. They simply disappear. Lifting with bad form is like gambling, sure you are not guaranteed to get injured but the probability goes through the roof...and with ever increasing weight...form becomes crucial...