Reza Will Compete In 100% Raw Pl Fed

MalachiMcMullen

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/9492

I'd love to see the explosivity a world class OLY lifter has during a maximum effort lift. Apparently his best raw total combining his best ever raw lifts is 2180.

He can't have trained the Power Lifts seriously for too long a time period so those numbers might go up some even.

He can't have trained the Power Lifts seriously for too long a time period so those numbers might go up some even.

Yep. In particular, his squat of 859 will surely rise considerably with some power squat focus.

This is truly the subject for a novel: an Iranian weightlifting legend makes his way into the American South to lift in the most redneck powerlifting federation.

Can the Gripboard scrape together some money for me to act as a journalist?

-Rex

I don't know much about powerlifting, but isn't a 484 pound benchpress not too remarkable for a heavyweight worldclass lifter? His squat and deadlift are very impressive, but that benchpress doesn't seem so impressive in comparison. Is benchpress even an olympic lift? I wouldn't think so, but I don't know.

I don't know much about powerlifting, but isn't a 484 pound benchpress not too remarkable for a heavyweight worldclass lifter? His squat and deadlift are very impressive, but that benchpress doesn't seem so impressive in comparison. Is benchpress even an olympic lift? I wouldn't think so, but I don't know.

Olympic lifters train bench about as much as bodybuilders train blobs.

-Rex

Due to his background, I wonder if his max DL and Squat will be performed at a much faster rate/time than a typical powerlifter?

Due to his background, I wonder if his max DL and Squat will be performed at a much faster rate/time than a typical powerlifter?

For what it's worth, Mikhail Koklyaev has a similar background--world-level Olympic lifting--and his deadlifts are not performed any faster than a powerlifter's of similar ability. The Olympic influence, however, will guarantee that Reza's deadlift will be done in the straight-back style and not the rounded-back style often found in powerlifting.

-Rex

This is truly the subject for a novel: an Iranian weightlifting legend makes his way into the American South to lift in the most redneck powerlifting federation.

-Rex

Rex the journalist – sir, This is a fallacious semantic argument - The fact of the matter is, those with bigger hands are, ceteris paribus, genetically superior to those with smaller hands. Bigger hands confer a survival advantage in the evolutionary struggle. The bigger the hand, the more functional strength it will tend to have. Nature often presents us with objects to pick up that a big hand is more suitable for. Rarely does nature give us something that requires a small hand. So all in all, a bigger hand is better.

Redneck – huh? Scratch crotch, sniff fingers, spit snuff in cut off beer can, adjust coveralls – boy – where ya from, yuh don’t talk so good, are ya tarded or sumthin – say dat again in English dis time. Bigger boobs is better but hands? WTH?

Isn't he going to need to increase his bench then?

If he has any interest in winning the bench event, yes. But if he just cares about the total, which is all that matters in full meets, I'd say he could completely ignore bench, add 100 pounds to his present total with just DL and squat training, and destroy his competition.

-Rex

If he has any interest in winning the bench event, yes. But if he just cares about the total, which is all that matters in full meets, I'd say he could completely ignore bench, add 100 pounds to his present total with just DL and squat training, and destroy his competition.

-Rex

If he could just duplicate his best efforts, he would end up with 2180. That is ELITE in any sense of it, let alone raw. Make him squat to parallel and he might be good for an 881 raw squat in short order, give him a little bit of time with that deadlift and he might be up to 850. As for the bench, the guy has put almost 585 overhead!!! Granted, the OLY jerk is far from a bench or press, but at 350+ with a 585 jerk, that 484 best bench will be over 500 in no time. All he needs to do is train it. As it stands, he has incredible potential, but we all know what potential equals... 0.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

For what it's worth, Mikhail Koklyaev has a similar background--world-level Olympic lifting--and his deadlifts are not performed any faster than a powerlifter's of similar ability. The Olympic influence, however, will guarantee that Reza's deadlift will be done in the straight-back style and not the rounded-back style often found in powerlifting.

-Rex

I think I just saw a vid of him doing 390K for a triple on the DL. He gripped DO! My wife's cousin said he used straps but I guess I need to rewatch it because I didn't catch them the first time.

-Rex

I think I just saw a vid of him doing 390K for a triple on the DL. He gripped DO! My wife's cousin said he used straps but I guess I need to rewatch it because I didn't catch them the first time.

Yeah. A friend of mine and I were talking earlier today about that video. We're coming to believe that he's even got Konstaninov beat on the DL (in terms of absolute strength; Konstantinov is much lighter). Just amazing to me. That guy doesn't get nearly enough attention. Same for Konstaninov.

-Rex

Oh not that impressive compared to acorns best lifts ;)

Anyways I have heard that he hit about a 600lb clean and jerk in training before his bad car accident that took him out of olympics, so if he can throw that much weight overhead I'm sure benching it wouldn't be much of a problem. Thing is he probably never trains bench, so if he did I'd expect that to be huge.

Also thing is with his car accident not sure how good he will be, but he is still young 30 I believe so he has a ton of room for improvement since most powerlifters peak mid to late 30's. He would bring a lot of attention to powerlifting though which would be great for the sport. The greatest SHW of all time in olympic lifting coming to powerlifting is bound to attract a lot of attention. I think its kind of BS though he has to wait like a year to get a visa, since he is from Iran and obviously a terrorist :dry

If he does join he is much like mark henry in that he has so much raw strength he was born with, so he would have potential to set some WR's.

-Rex

Yeah. A friend of mine and I were talking earlier today about that video. We're coming to believe that he's even got Konstaninov beat on the DL (in terms of absolute strength; Konstantinov is much lighter). Just amazing to me. That guy doesn't get nearly enough attention. Same for Konstaninov.

-Rex

That would be a hell of a contest, wouldn't it?

I'd give the nod to Konstantinov, but it would be win-win all the way!

If he could just duplicate his best efforts, he would end up with 2180. That is ELITE in any sense of it, let alone raw. Make him squat to parallel and he might be good for an 881 raw squat in short order, give him a little bit of time with that deadlift and he might be up to 850. As for the bench, the guy has put almost 585 overhead!!! Granted, the OLY jerk is far from a bench or press, but at 350+ with a 585 jerk, that 484 best bench will be over 500 in no time. All he needs to do is train it. As it stands, he has incredible potential, but we all know what potential equals... 0.

I think he has a little more than just "potential". He's a world class Olympic lifter for heavens sakes. All he has to do is modify his training.

I think he has a little more than just "potential". He's a world class Olympic lifter for heavens sakes. All he has to do is modify his training.

It's still a "what-if" situation and he certainly has the capacity to destroy the competition, but will he? That remains to be seen.

-Rex

Rex the journalist – sir, This is a fallacious semantic argument - The fact of the matter is, those with bigger hands are, ceteris paribus, genetically superior to those with smaller hands. Bigger hands confer a survival advantage in the evolutionary struggle. The bigger the hand, the more functional strength it will tend to have. Nature often presents us with objects to pick up that a big hand is more suitable for. Rarely does nature give us something that requires a small hand. So all in all, a bigger hand is better.

Redneck – huh? Scratch crotch, sniff fingers, spit snuff in cut off beer can, adjust coveralls – boy – where ya from, yuh don’t talk so good, are ya tarded or sumthin – say dat again in English dis time. Bigger boobs is better but hands? WTH?

You sound like you have been around some redneck folk Chris. In SE Ohio, Not a chance. :laugh

Edited by nickr104

I wonder how far Aaron could throw you? :dry

I wonder how far Aaron could throw you? :dry

Ask Aaron about doing discus turns with a baseball player :D

Is it the 94kg Russian olympic lifter Konstantinov the one you were talking about Rex?

Is it the 94kg Russian olympic lifter Konstantinov the one you were talking about Rex?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Konstantinovs

125 KG lifter.

Pound for pound, he is one of the best deadlifters ever to live, and very soon, he will be the best deadlifter ever regardless of bodyweight.

-Rex

P.S. My favorite video of his: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaFr6WPgjfw

Edited by The Natural

-Rex

Because of all the publicity of the big lifts done with gear - I think we have lost touch with what constitutes good numbers when done raw. I have no idea what actual federation he plans to compete in but Zack (or anyone) - what are the SHW records for Raw lifts? Just to put some perspective on his numbers please.

-Rex

Because of all the publicity of the big lifts done with gear - I think we have lost touch with what constitutes good numbers when done raw. I have no idea what actual federation he plans to compete in but Zack (or anyone) - what are the SHW records for Raw lifts? Just to put some perspective on his numbers please.

The guy who promoted the strongman comp. I did back in August (Scott Weech Jr.) holds the all time 100% Raw total. 2102 pounds in 308 class. He's now training for his pro-status in strongman.

-Rex