Building Triceps

Lol999

Hi all, got some shoulder impingement going on, mostly in my right shoulder which occurs in the rear delt area. I can't do any benching and have stayed away from OHP since this irritates the area atm. In addition to thick bar deads I'm doing ez curls for the biceps, and triceps pushdowns using a pulley which still recruit some rear shoulder input and cause some soreness. Whilst I get this shoulder situation sorted can anyone reccommend some shoulder friendly exercises for triceps? Dips are out, uncomfortable pushing out of a chair!

Whilst we're at it can anyone suggest some good exercises for shoulder impingement? I'm using anti-inflammatories/stretching and it's helping but I think a muscular imbalance needs addressing.

Cheers, Lol

Hi all, got some shoulder impingement going on, mostly in my right shoulder which occurs in the rear delt area. I can't do any benching and have stayed away from OHP since this irritates the area atm. In addition to thick bar deads I'm doing ez curls for the biceps, and triceps pushdowns using a pulley which still recruit some rear shoulder input and cause some soreness. Whilst I get this shoulder situation sorted can anyone reccommend some shoulder friendly exercises for triceps? Dips are out, uncomfortable pushing out of a chair!

Whilst we're at it can anyone suggest some good exercises for shoulder impingement? I'm using anti-inflammatories/stretching and it's helping but I think a muscular imbalance needs addressing.

Cheers, Lol

i had that in the 80s if you bench using a curl bar i know its hard to do you need 2 guys to hand you the weight or have a old bench with close uprights the angle of the curl bar didnt hurt like using a straight bar nose breakers are good to it will go away in time good luck

Hi dan, forgot to add, I don't have a bench with uprights and train on my own! What are nosebreakers?

Cheers, Lol

this may sound strange to you and maybe it just worked for me but try doing exra wide bench presses real light and try building on the weight. it helped me. I had shoulder pain from january up until august when i started doing these.

Hi dan, forgot to add, I don't have a bench with uprights and train on my own! What are nosebreakers?

Cheers, Lol

lay on a bench with a lighter weight its no 19 on this website try them you will like the pump it gives your tris http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...%3Doff%26sa%3DN

Cheers, Lol

lay on a bench with a lighter weight its no 19 on this website try them you will like the pump it gives your tris http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...%3Doff%26sa%3DN

that looks like a good exercise, i stayed away from it for some reason, but I ll be sure to include it in my next routine for tris

Cheers Dan. Does the benching rule of pulling shoulders down and clenching shoulder blades also apply to this exercise to protect the shoulders?

I've done quite a bit of those (aka skull-crushers/french curls). I really like them. You can also do them with a tricep bar, straight bar, or dumbbells, which are nice because you can use different wrist positions.

Cheers Dan. Does the benching rule of pulling shoulders down and clenching shoulder blades also apply to this exercise to protect the shoulders?

No. You can even do these on the floor (which is how I do them). The only thing you've gotta watch out for is that you don't strain your neck while going real heavy.

As a matter of fact, I came up with my own version these to really kill my triceps at the end of a routine, which also happens to be really easy on the shoulders. But you'll likely need somebody to hand you the bar. Lay on the ground, and put your elbows on the ground at your side, with your forearms straight up, with a shoulder-width grip on a straight bar. Lower the weight down towards your chest, then back to vertical. Really isolates you triceps, hits the area down by your elbows and gives a nice stretch. I can post pics or a video if none of this makes any sense ;)

Edited by Magnus

I was starting to get into a similar situation with the muscle imbalance, I am still not in great shape but I can tell you what has helped me. I tried the usual rotator cuff stuff, and scapula pulling type exercises. Most of these seem sort of weak though, you can't go real heavy and I never felt they helped pull my shoulders back at all. Pulls ups and high pulls I found to help though. Progressing to a full power clean would be good but the catch can wear on your shoulders. The high pulls/power cleans really seemed to build my mid and upper back and pull my shoulders back more than anything else. I also like using a rubber band for stretching and dislocates.

Frank, post a video, that would be great!

timiacobucci, I'll look into the high pulls, I'm too heavy to be doing pullups. An explanation on the dislocates etc would be great as well.

Cheers, Lol

Lol,

Do you have dumbbells? A shrug bar? A log?

When I have had shoulder issues in the past, I have gravitated toward the neutral, or hammer, grip, which is accomplished with dumbbells by avoiding pronation and with the shrug bar and log by the orientation of their handles...

Best luck.

I've had success with the diesel crew 2-minute shoulder warm-up. check it out and do daily.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCp-YynBEvE

Hi Jedd, I HAD a shrug bar but sold it on :angry: because of various reasons. I have dumbells and I also have a nice barrel that has rims on allowing a neutral grip. It only weighs 95lb full and is easy to clean and press but I'm not looking to build uber muscle at my time of life (43). It's more about dropping some fat, building a bit of muscle and my determination to close the #3 at some point. The pain seems to occur when I take my elbow back past my body, so full rom benching is out of the question. Cleaning a bar also hurts when it is in the cleaned position across my chest. I'm really working on analysing why the pain/soreness occurs, it could be impingement, muscle tension, lack of flexibility or a combination of all three. I also notice that if I allow my shoulders to rise upwards whilst lifting it gets sore, so when doing ez curls I really focus on holding shoulders down and clenching shoulder blades together.

Typing this after a workout that included triceps pushdowns, shoulder definitely DOES NOT like that exercise!

ADurniat - thanks I'll check the video out and give it a try.

Cheers, Lol

Edited by Lol999

Hi Jedd, I HAD a shrug bar but sold it on :angry: because of various reasons. I have dumbells and I also have a nice barrel that has rims on allowing a neutral grip. It only weighs 95lb full and is easy to clean and press but I'm not looking to build uber muscle at my time of life (43). It's more about dropping some fat, building a bit of muscle and my determination to close the #3 at some point. The pain seems to occur when I take my elbow back past my body, so full rom benching is out of the question. Cleaning a bar also hurts when it is in the cleaned position across my chest. I'm really working on analysing why the pain/soreness occurs, it could be impingement, muscle tension, lack of flexibility or a combination of all three. I also notice that if I allow my shoulders to rise upwards whilst lifting it gets sore, so when doing ez curls I really focus on holding shoulders down and clenching shoulder blades together.

Typing this after a workout that included triceps pushdowns, shoulder definitely DOES NOT like that exercise!

ADurniat - thanks I'll check the video out and give it a try.

Cheers, Lol

Are you self-diagnosing here? :blink No offence but have you seen a physio or an osteopath or GP. Unless you are one, then ignore me :D Otherwise i think you would be better seeing a professional as it sounds quite nasty. That area is complicated.

First and foremost that would be my recommendation. After you get the issue sorted i would look to do more dumbbell work, incorporate some face pulls-higher reps etc. so you are doing a bit more prehab stuff. Flexibility work is a must, for me anyway. I knackered my lower back a couple of years ago and had pain for ages. It hurt just deadlifting 100kg. A little time after i started doing some dynamic leg stretches everyday fixed my back problem.

I would also balance your lifting looking at horizontal push and pull and vertical push and pull.

I've not answered the tricep question at all, sorry! I've always liked Tate presses, if you youtube it there are plenty of videos. I prefer to do them seated rather than lying down.

Ahmed

Ahmed I'm shying away from the doctor because the health service in this country is usually "take anti-inflammatories and go away". I want to explore all the options and to some extent self diagnose so whtat WHEN I present myself to the doc he has no option but to send me for x-rays and physiotherapy.

Cheers, Lol

I know what you mean, i live in england too; I didn't notice under your name. luckily my GP has a sports medicine background. Doesn't help you though :tongue

No but at least you understand my situation :D I've got a prolapsed disk in my neck that sometimes affects my face and throat. Because I've not done anything to "re-injure" it some more I get sent away with pain killers. You've gotta laugh :D

Ahmed I'm shying away from the doctor because the health service in this country is usually "take anti-inflammatories and go away". I want to explore all the options and to some extent self diagnose so whtat WHEN I present myself to the doc he has no option but to send me for x-rays and physiotherapy.

Cheers, Lol

If your range of motion is only "elbows to parallel" then maybe do benching in a cage, with the pins set at your most comfortable height? Just do sets and reps of "lock-outs". Change the grip width = close grip to hit tris and wide grip to hit pecs. You can still get a good workout with partial movements, you'll just need to press more weight. If for some strange reason, your shoulder/back gets healthier (on its own) as you get stronger, lower the pins and press closer to your chest. Good luck! :rock

Edited by StalwartSentinel

To be honest I just don't like benching. never have. I always used to prefer flyes and overhead pulls. Of course improper technique over the years haven't helped the situation :angry: Plus I started my training in the M&F golden years of the early 80's, 500 sets per bodypart, goddamn the Weiders :D

I'm really moving these days towards odd object type stuff. I'm just wondering what sort of effect keg carries, loading onto a platform, heavy cleans etc, but not necessarily anything overhead would have on a physique in terms of balanced growth. I find this type of exercise irritates my joints less than repetitive fixed groove movements. I'm only hitting the biceps/triceps because I want to develop strength to aid my grip training. Plus the wife likes the results :D

I'm really looking for opinions here on the above idea, I'll start a new thread if necessary.

C'mon folks, especially the diesel crew/farm strength/odd object lifters I need some input please.

Cheers, Lol

I'm trying to get my video uploaded, but it just won't go, for some reason :angry:

The only thing I can do is describe it for ya. Lying on the ground with your elbows on the ground at your sides and your forearms pointing straight up, have somebody hand you the bar (a straight bar for this one), and take a shoulder-width grip on it. Now, with your elbows still on the ground, lower the bar back towards your neck, and then press it back up till your forearms are straight again. That's all there is to it. I find it works good if you pause before pressing it back up, so you can give your triceps a stretch . The nice thing about this exercise is that it really isolates the tri's, but because of the relatively small ROM, you can really pile the weight on. Hope it works OK for you :)

if benching hurts STOP IT! Theres no sense in hurting yourself just to do an exercise. It's silly.

if you have access to machines you can do push downs, partial bench dips, skull crushers, and french curls. do these 2 times a week, 5-7 sets each, 12-15 reps, 30 seconds between sets MAX! its not the minimum, its the the maximum. (if you rest too long this ain't gonna do sh**). If you cant do the push downs do kickbacks at the end (yeah I said it).

You will see that the weight has to be very light in order to finish, but remeber you are building muscle not strenght. Even though you will get stronger.

This is probably not the answer you want to hear because its not MACHO, but it works. Try it and in 3 months your triceps will be significantly larger (assuming you dont have nerve damage). You have nothing to losse.

GOOD LUCK!

If possible try some floor presses with a closer grip, I like about a thumbs width from the smooth part of the bar, and keep the elbows tucked. Or also some 3 and 4 board presses with the same grip.

• 1 month later...
...I'm too heavy to be doing pullups. ...

I'm also to heavy/weak for pullups, you could try a lying or seated pullup.

The lying pullup: As the name says, you keep you body straight only the heels touch the floor.

The seated pullup: You start with a 90 degree angle between legs and torso, heels on the floor.

Different grip variations optional...

To adjust(reduce) resistance, instead of the heels you can put something(chair, keg,...) below the legs to support some more bwt and to have less weight to move.

I do the seated pullup at a smith machine or a barbell placed low enough in the rack.

Maybe undergrip-floorpresses for triceps?

• 2 weeks later...
I've had success with the diesel crew 2-minute shoulder warm-up. check it out and do daily.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCp-YynBEvE

i just did this a few minutes ago and this has made my shoulders feel AWESOME! i've never really had a shoulder injury or anything but i've never really had strong shoulders either but i think if i keep doing these exercises and slowly increase the weight i will become very strong in the shoulders! not to mention i've had terrible flexibility in my shoulders but now my shoulders feel awesome. this will probably help me with my punching, i'd like to think the diesel crew for putting this on youtube and the grip board for showing me this video!