• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris Mathison

• chris klavetter

• Matt Brouse

• IROC-Z

Nice numbers here, Chris :rock

You're leg curls are making me sick :whacked After a nasty incident a few years back, I've been completely paranoid

about doing any hamstring work, so they got MEGA neglected for a long time (well, still going ;))...Just thinking about your numbers are making me sick. Now I can't even do double-leg curls with 60lb :dry Stinks, cuz it's killing my DL.

Not bad for a white boy. You will need more to beat the even whiter boys.

Ill assume you mean Broush since hes the only person on the planet whiter than me.

I don't know, my brother-in-law could give you a run :D

Ya I built it. It was actually quite simple.. Ill have to take a video of it so you can get an idea and possibly build one if you want. Are you doing alot of extensor work? If not double it! I sincerely feel thats what has taken me from just blob50 to blob65+ in a few months. That and the deload setup

I've been doing a couple sets of extensor bands after my gripper workouts, and then I'll usually do a couple sets at work once or twice a week. Based on your advice, I think I'll try and do at least 4 - 5 sets every day. I would definitely be interested in building a deload setup too.

Thanks for the advice Chris, and best wishes for your future strongman comps!

Here's my thought process on this. I have no scientific basis for this and may just be spitting out hot air but atleast believing in this has given me alot of motivation to do the extensor work. If its placebo ill take it. At the very worst im keeping good balance in hand musculature which should ward off potential injuries.. Anyways. on with it. You have a huge bench so you can relate to this metaphor. Unless you are blessed im sure you have done tons of back work to get that bench. Rows, pulldowns, etc.. Your body will limit what you can bench if your back cant support the muscles active in the bench. You've heard the analogy you cant shoot a cannon out of a canoe? I apply that to open hand strength. If the musculature and tendons on the topside of your hand cant support the pinching muscles then you will likely limit what you can pinch. Just like the bench your body doesnt want an injury and will set a limit. I have no clue if this happens in your brain or muscles or flux capacitors or whatever. I also have no clue if its the real reason that extensor work has helped my open hand strength but my future world record blob lift will tell a tale :)

10/9

Was supposed to be a rest day but to hell with that.

AM

Power cleans on barbell

Nothing remarkable just had an hour to kill before work and the garage was calling my name.

PM

Arm stuff

Sprint intervals

1:2 x 5

15 min walk @ 3.0

Magnus: What happened to your hamstring?

Here's my thought process on this. I have no scientific basis for this and may just be spitting out hot air but atleast believing in this has given me alot of motivation to do the extensor work. If its placebo ill take it. At the very worst im keeping good balance in hand musculature which should ward off potential injuries.. Anyways. on with it. You have a huge bench so you can relate to this metaphor. Unless you are blessed im sure you have done tons of back work to get that bench. Rows, pulldowns, etc.. Your body will limit what you can bench if your back cant support the muscles active in the bench. You've heard the analogy you cant shoot a cannon out of a canoe? I apply that to open hand strength. If the musculature and tendons on the topside of your hand cant support the pinching muscles then you will likely limit what you can pinch. Just like the bench your body doesnt want an injury and will set a limit. I have no clue if this happens in your brain or muscles or flux capacitors or whatever. I also have no clue if its the real reason that extensor work has helped my open hand strength but my future world record blob lift will tell a tale :)

That definitely makes sense to me. I'll keep you posted on how I think it's working for me.

If you ever get a chance, could you possibly shoot me some pics of your deload setup?

Thanks again for the advice!

That definitely makes sense to me. I'll keep you posted on how I think it's working for me.

If you ever get a chance, could you possibly shoot me some pics of your deload setup?

Thanks again for the advice!

Yup.. im going to do it soon. I like making those videos.

10/10

DE Lower

Warmup

800m concept 2 @ 5

Dynamic hip stretches

press ups

I like these warmups now. I have to push some days to do them but after I do I feel like my body is firing on all cylinders and ready to go.

Speed back squat onto low box = 30-40sec rest

135x2

185x2

225x2

250x8x2

Snatch

135x2x1

155x2x1

Box jump cleaning 25#DB in each hand

3x5

I dont know what these are called. You sit on a low box with feet on floor and jump onto a higher box.. The low box is parallel.

2x3

Kicked me out of gym cuz it was closing

Edited by Chris Mathison

I was doing leg curls, and strained my left one, and it started cramping up. I decided to call it quits for then and do something else, but not thinking, I crouched down to pick something up, it started cramping up really bad. When I stood up, it was still cramping up...just wouldn't stop. Felt like I pulled it. Couldn't walk w/o pain for a week. Now even doing little stuff feels like they're straining. I guess I'd better do something about it :rolleyes;)

I was doing leg curls, and strained my left one, and it started cramping up. I decided to call it quits for then and do something else, but not thinking, I crouched down to pick something up, it started cramping up really bad. When I stood up, it was still cramping up...just wouldn't stop. Felt like I pulled it. Couldn't walk w/o pain for a week. Now even doing little stuff feels like they're straining. I guess I'd better do something about it :rolleyes;)

Sound slike stretching and RICE would help. Ask in the injury forum on the diesel crew site.. They will help. Lost of smarties over there.

10/13

Warmup

800m concept 2 @ 6

dynamic hip warmup

Back Squat

135x5

225x5

315x2

405x1

425x1

445x1

475x1

495x2

Pause squats

405x2, x2, x2, x2

Thats it. Happy with the 495 double as its the first time i've done that weight without wraps. This was belt only. Considering how fried my lower back still is from deadlifting and lack of a squat focus in the last few months im very satisfied with today. AS of now its looking like im going to add 100lbs on my total from this meet last year in my openers alone. Shooting for 200+ in total.

john conner says he can close the #4

that's not bad for a TNS, bad positioning and not putting the dogleg in the palm. If someone showed him how to set a gripper i'm willing to bet he'd get pretty close to a 1/4'' off closing it.

john conner says he can close the #4

that's not bad for a TNS, bad positioning and not putting the dogleg in the palm. If someone showed him how to set a gripper i'm willing to bet he'd get pretty close to a 1/4'' off closing it.

no doubt. hes got 9 1/2" hands so even with that miserable set(or lack of) he put a huge dent in it.

That video is a year and 10 months old. I'm inclined to believe that Conner has gotten significantly stronger since then.

He is not closing a 4. Natalie is stronger than you.

Edited by Chris Mathison

Im sick.. really sick. Of course it happens 3 weeks before meet. Went to find out my bench opener today and strength was way down. I feel pale as a ghost. my throat hurts and I have cold sweats. 315 felt like 355. My joints are aching unbelievable. Dont know when my next workout will be.

Im sick.. really sick. Of course it happens 3 weeks before meet. Went to find out my bench opener today and strength was way down. I feel pale as a ghost. my throat hurts and I have cold sweats. 315 felt like 355. My joints are aching unbelievable. Dont know when my next workout will be.

Weak and pale? What else is new.

Weak and pale? What else is new.

I was feeling really down today. thanks for the pick me up.

It would be funny as hell if your wife and kids left you a few days before the AC.

You would be sad. We would make fun of you.

You would feel insecure, alone, and angry. We would make fun of you and leave you alone outside a strip club because you forgot your I.D.

You would sleep with a strange woman at the super 8. In the morning you would realize that this woman was ugly and had an STD. And for the win, she was not a woman at all. In fact your dream would be realized when she told you, "you've been tricked."

For that we would make fun of you even more.

You can't be any paler than the guy that passed out in the middle of my exam last night. Get some rest, fluids, and take your vitamins. I'm sure you know all that. You'll be fine in a couple of days.

You can't be any paler than the guy that passed out in the middle of my exam last night. Get some rest, fluids, and take your vitamins. I'm sure you know all that. You'll be fine in a couple of days.

YA I doubled vitamins today.. drinking water.. im sure ill be fine soon. I cant believe Brandon posted on my log.. you should do it more.

Klavetter shows love by poking fun.. so he must reallly love me!

I feel much better already.. I seemed to have recovered quick. I went out into the garage pissed from todays workout and wanted to finally get my coc#3 no set video for the gripboard stats and records section. Felt good so I played with the blob a bit and glob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SAVI54U7HA

Good grip stuff mate your blobbin' strength is very impressive! :rock

Thanks Sam.. thats appreciated. I've grown really attached to this thing since I got it this summer and could barely lift it. Next stop is a blob snatch. I feel like a got it in me I just have to make it a point to do it early in the workout. We will see.