What Is Your Best Bench Assisted Or Raw?

raymo

1969 - 300# Age 19

1998 - 295# - 285# x 2 - 300# missed for a freaking month before giving up because I couldn't stand the shoulder pain any more - age 50

2008 - age 60 - I did a short little stint of bench press - no max, up to 225# for reps - shoulders still hurt so no more BP

Shoulders only have so many bench presses in them - be careful.

I've never tried a bench shirt - looks like I'd be exhausted by the time I got into one.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shizen

• MalachiMcMullen

• Chris Mathison

• The Natural

A couple years ago i was able to do 385 a set of ten but now i can still handle 410 a set of 4 but last year i ripped a tendon in my knee which made me loose time working out as far as bench goes. The problem with the way i bench is that i've always worked out by myself so i have a bench set up inside a rack for safty just incase i cant get the weight up i still have about a inch in which i can still slide out from under but atleast i never have to worry about getting crushed :D The most i've done is 490 and i failed at 500 right after with little rest

With raw benching, you can't add alot with technique right away, maybe 10-20 pounds if form is awful. With shirted benching, 50-100 is easy. Most guys have no idea what they are doing.

With raw benching, you can't add alot with technique right away, maybe 10-20 pounds if form is awful. With shirted benching, 50-100 is easy. Most guys have no idea what they are doing.

I'm sad to admit I am one of those that has no idea what I'm doing with benching form. I haven't benched for around 14 years and just started again on Monday this week. I have been reading as much as possible and watching some videos on, I think it was Diesal Crew. I also read a website where someone mentioned that they borrowed a bench shirt from you Bob, and realized the benifits of them for a safety/injury prevention. I will look for the article.

a measly 240@175 :blush I did that RAW, I never have tried a bench shirt

Edited by Klicks

I suppose I'll update it then :) 260@184 I did that about a week ago actually.

I don't barely bench anymore if any only dumbells I like not having shoulders that hurt constantly.Did 368#at BWof 167# raw I've done over 3 pretty regularly since then but usually choose not I'm with Chris only so many benches in a set of shoulders.

350 @ 225bw, this was done several years ago as I no longer bench due to shldr pain.....This seems to be a common thread with the shldr probs.........I hit 300 about 6months ago an this was after not benching heavy in years and doing nothing more than push-ups and bw exercises daily.......BK

250 at 180bw raw, d.bells 110's low reps

440 in the gym touch and go and recently an easy 420 in contest.

With a bench shirt I bombed out trying to hit 225 many years ago, took so much energy getting the shirt on I couldn't get my opener. Been turned off of shirts ever since.

Well, after getting the shirt on only your helper should maybe be exhausted... ;)

My measly bests:

training:

raw, undergrip: 135kg

raw, start from bottom position in rack: 140kg

with shirt(titan fury): 180kg

in competition:

with shirt(titan fury): 165kg (damn those off days :cry )

All at between 120 to 125 kg.

#200 Bench raw at a bodyweight of 160 lbs this went up fairly easy with a wider technique that my friend showed me,

on the other hand my friend has done 315 at a bodyweight of 175, this guys got shoulders and triceps like you wouldnt believe

275 at 195 done on deployment to Iraq, I suck at benching and I wish I believed it wasn't important, but it is, cause a truly stronger man should beat a weaker man on any lift. If I ever get 315 raw I will buy myself a shirt too.

Don't know if it's worth posting, but I got 205x5 incline tonight @ 11:00pm. I really need to bring my shoulders up to speed....

Don't know if it's worth posting, but I got 205x5 incline tonight @ 11:00pm. I really need to bring my shoulders up to speed....

its worth it!

Regular bench will bring up your incline faster then doing incline, at least that has been my experience. I don't think that is a weak incline at all, it might even be high compared to your bench-not sure what that is- So you might actually be more shoulder dominant bencher

Hey does anyone have a good routine for the bench? There are quite a few strong benchers in here so curious what kind of routine you did to achieve your strength? Or is just as simple as bench like 1 or 2x a week with low reps and just a matter of time?

i started lifting when i was 13. by the time i was 16 i was doing 320. than when i got into my 20s, i benched 450 and 190 pounds. strictly, i always do things as strict as i can.

now, i am more into grappling. so,i do alot of bodyweight exercises. once a week i will go do the squat and bench. i only use 280 for 12 to 15 reps, and squat i use 315 for same reps. just to maintain for grappling. good thing about training drug free, alot easier to keep your strength. i am almost forty now. so,i better take it easy.

funny thing, some doctors seen me working out. than i had a seizure. (hight intesity work, and booze dont mix) next thing i knew iw as in a hospital. than i heard one of the doctors saying, this boy is not on steroids. some ones gonna be in alot of f n trouble . they tested me, cause one of the doctors told them i i might of been on some.

too bad, not too many 450 or 500 pound benchers anymore. natural ones. back in the sixties or seventies there were alot around.

Edited by kelby

i started lifting when i was 13. by the time i was 16 i was doing 320. than when i got into my 20s, i benched 450 and 190 pounds. strictly, i always do things as strict as i can.

now, i am more into grappling. so,i do alot of bodyweight exercises. once a week i will go do the squat and bench. i only use 280 for 12 to 15 reps, and squat i use 315 for same reps. just to maintain for grappling. good thing about training drug free, alot easier to keep your strength. i am almost forty now. so,i better take it easy.

funny thing, some doctors seen me working out. than i had a seizure. (hight intesity work, and booze dont mix) next thing i knew iw as in a hospital. than i heard one of the doctors saying, this boy is not on steroids. some ones gonna be in alot of f n trouble . they tested me, cause one of the doctors told them i i might of been on some.

too bad, not too many 450 or 500 pound benchers anymore. natural ones. back in the sixties or seventies there were alot around.

well 60's and 70's had just as much drug users-in fact even more because of lack of government regulation-it's hard to say who is natural. Now days the U.S. government at least is very strict with drug use like steroids. I think we all can agree though is that natural is the way to go :rock

Now days the U.S. government at least is very strict with drug use like steroids.

Don't kid yourself. I am opposed to drug use in general, but steroids are very easy to come by.

Now days the U.S. government at least is very strict with drug use like steroids.

Don't kid yourself. I am opposed to drug use in general, but steroids are very easy to come by.

I would definitely not say they are 'easy' they are a schedule 1 drug so its pretty hard to get a hold of. Not to mention that just about all domestic sources are underground because of the recent raiding the federal government has been doing. Now only way is to get form overseas and getting schedule 1 drugs through customs is VERY hard. It IS much harder to get drugs like steroids NOW then it was earlier in the 70's or so. The U.S. is more strict with steroids then it is with drugs like meth or cocain even, you don't have the senate debate over those drugs like you do steroids.

Your right though in the sense if you want to do something or use something badly enough there is always away.

I have been spammed with steroids ads just for belonging to a weight lifting forum. I have seen guys post to PM them for more info. There is a popular website that has a forum devoted to anabolic steroids. They are extremely easy to obtain, and as far as I'm concerned the testing in professional sports is a joke...I think any agency that wants to get serious needs to institute a random blood test a couple of times a year.