• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• climber511

• MalachiMcMullen

• EricMilfeld

Just a couple general questions for Eric and Chun Li

1. What does common width mean regarding that 2HP? Will everyone have to pinch on the common width 2.25"?

2. Where do the coefficients come from regarding the scoring (1.2 x poundage on grippers, .6 for the axle, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Josh

Euro Pinch

Standard rules will apply with a common width setting of 59mm (2 1/4").

Neither a Euro Pinch or an Americanized version will give 59mm width (which is 2 5/16" actually :D ) so is this being held on plates ?

Grippers

Various brands of calibrated grippers will be contested using a parallel set. The judge will give the gripster a verbal start command when the set is legal.

Got it

Reverse Grip Bending

Calibrated 6" stock will be bent to 40 degrees within 30 seconds.

Will you announce the bending stock ahead of time?

2" Axle Deadlift

Sumo is allowed - got it.

Medley

The following implements are listed in ascending order of difficulty. Narrow pinch will include the Ironmind Blockbuster pinch block loaded with 40, a 1.5" wooden pinch block loaded at 75, and the Euro Pinch loaded at 90. Thick pinch will include a 40 pound Blob, a York Legacy Blob (50 pounds), and a Blob 50 with 10 additional pounds. Supporting grip will include a 2 1/2" FBBC Crusher, a Rolling Thunder, and the 175 pound 2 1/2" steel dumbbell housed at Metroflex Gym (it's tougher than an Inch Dumbbell). Hub lifting will include the Ironmind hub loaded with 30, a 45 pound plate, and a 45 pound plate with additional weight. V-bar will include a 100 pound anvil, a FBBC 2" v-bar loaded at 225, and another FBBC 2" v-bar loaded at 275. All of the implements will be fitted with a string to which a washer will be attached. The implements must be lifted to a height whereby the washer clears the floor. Three minutes will be allowed for completion of all the disciplines.

Not much I can do here but it looks cool none the less.

Just a couple general questions for Eric and Chun Li

1. What does common width mean regarding that 2HP? Will everyone have to pinch on the common width 2.25"?

2. Where do the coefficients come from regarding the scoring (1.2 x poundage on grippers, .6 for the axle, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Josh

E Honda - Eric will have to answer both those questions - he came up w/the coefficients and I don't know crap about anything pinch :laugh

Euro Pinch

Standard rules will apply with a common width setting of 59mm (2 1/4").

Neither a Euro Pinch or an Americanized version will give 59mm width (which is 2 5/16" actually :D ) so is this being held on plates ?

Grippers

Various brands of calibrated grippers will be contested using a parallel set. The judge will give the gripster a verbal start command when the set is legal.

Got it

Reverse Grip Bending

Calibrated 6" stock will be bent to 40 degrees within 30 seconds.

Will you announce the bending stock ahead of time?

2" Axle Deadlift

Sumo is allowed - got it.

Medley

The following implements are listed in ascending order of difficulty. Narrow pinch will include the Ironmind Blockbuster pinch block loaded with 40, a 1.5" wooden pinch block loaded at 75, and the Euro Pinch loaded at 90. Thick pinch will include a 40 pound Blob, a York Legacy Blob (50 pounds), and a Blob 50 with 10 additional pounds. Supporting grip will include a 2 1/2" FBBC Crusher, a Rolling Thunder, and the 175 pound 2 1/2" steel dumbbell housed at Metroflex Gym (it's tougher than an Inch Dumbbell). Hub lifting will include the Ironmind hub loaded with 30, a 45 pound plate, and a 45 pound plate with additional weight. V-bar will include a 100 pound anvil, a FBBC 2" v-bar loaded at 225, and another FBBC 2" v-bar loaded at 275. All of the implements will be fitted with a string to which a washer will be attached. The implements must be lifted to a height whereby the washer clears the floor. Three minutes will be allowed for completion of all the disciplines.

Not much I can do here but it looks cool none the less.

Chris - it is a "Euro Pinch" from David Horne, not sure the widths and all that jazz, Eric will need to chime in.

we should have the type of bending stock and its calibrated weight up early enough to prep for the comp

and not a whole lot I can do w/the medley either :rolleyes:laugh

The coefficients look reasonable, based on from what I can tell, close to records- A 200 gripper, 240 pinch, 600 bend, and 400 axle all give you 240 points.

Only lift out of proportion is the axle, coefficent is too high compared to the other lifts. 0.55 would be perfect, don't know if you were going for round numbers.

Hell, considering the pause with the set, a 200 gripper close might be underrated. Especially being the second event. Given the unorthodox event lineup, you're gonna punish the guys good at grippers a little.

Oh yeah, don't take this shit the wrong way, just nitpicking. I did one comp with coeffecients myself. Tough to get right. If you don't have a laptop, even numbers will let people track their scores easier.

My Euro minus one thin disc measures approximately 2 1/4".

Yes, I was shooting for the nearest tenth on the coefficients. Even if the coefficients are off a bit it still provides for far more proportionate credit being given to the various lifts relative to the other scoring systems.

The coefficients look reasonable, based on from what I can tell, close to records- A 200 gripper, 240 pinch, 600 bend, and 400 axle all give you 240 points.

Only lift out of proportion is the axle, coefficent is too high compared to the other lifts. 0.55 would be perfect, don't know if you were going for round numbers.

Hell, considering the pause with the set, a 200 gripper close might be underrated. Especially being the second event. Given the unorthodox event lineup, you're gonna punish the guys good at grippers a little.

Oh yeah, don't take this shit the wrong way, just nitpicking. I did one comp with coeffecients myself. Tough to get right. If you don't have a laptop, even numbers will let people track their scores easier.

Good point Bob! I agree w/you 100%

My Euro minus one thin disc measures approximately 2 1/4".

Yes, I was shooting for the nearest tenth on the coefficients. Even if the coefficients are off a bit it still provides for far more proportionate credit being given to the various lifts relative to the other scoring systems.

The 59mm had me confused - that would be 58mm and 2.28" spec wise. It doesn't matter - I was just curious. I wanted to know to set up my training width is all. Thanks

Bob, I agree about the gripper coefficient. I've changed it to "1.3". This will be cause for Paul to jump up and down and clap his hands with delight.

Chris, I believe we are using the same width you used at Gripmas last year. I've always allowed for adjusting of the apparatus at the Show of Hands and no one has ever opted for it. Off the top of my head, nor can I recall anyone opting for a different width at Gripmas. It seems to be a very popular width. Even with the extra disc my performance varies very little, if at all.

Eric - we used 54mm at Gripmas, GGC, Michigan etc (one of the thick rubbers out - this gives about 2 1/8"). I now use 48mm (GGC) and it has resulted in close to a 15# difference for me plus no thumb tears anymore - a fixed width does kind of seem to negate the point behind an adjustable pinch though. I took plates to GGC to add on to equal the rubber that I don't use to make 48mm base weight the same as 54mm. But if you say 58 that's fine with me - I just want to be sure so I can train with the correct width is all.

Gripmas 07 - 3 guys used 44mm

GGC 08 - 2 or 3 of us used 48mm

Everyone else used 54mm

Eric - we used 54mm at Gripmas, GGC, Michigan etc (one of the thick rubbers out - this gives about 2 1/8"). I now use 48mm (GGC) and it has resulted in close to a 15# difference for me plus no thumb tears anymore - a fixed width does kind of seem to negate the point behind an adjustable pinch though. I took plates to GGC to add on to equal the rubber that I don't use to make 48mm base weight the same as 54mm. But if you say 58 that's fine with me - I just want to be sure so I can train with the correct width is all.

Everyone else used 54mm

I guess these Euros vary in thickness a bit. I think mine with all the discs you used at Gripmas measures roughly 1/8" more (all but one thin disc). That's a really good idea using plates to make up for the rubber discs.

But let's just go ahead and keep it adjustable for all competitors. :) I'll fix the rules.

Everyone else used 54mm

I guess these Euros vary in thickness a bit. I think mine with all the discs you used at Gripmas measures roughly 1/8" more (all but one thin disc). That's a really good idea using plates to make up for the rubber discs.

But let's just go ahead and keep it adjustable for all competitors. :) I'll fix the rules.

Thanks!

2 Steel plus all rubber = 64 2.52 2 1/2"

minus 1 thin = 58 2.28 2 1/4"

minus 1 thick = 54 2.126 2 1/8"

minus 2 thin = 48 1.89 1 7/8"

And no doubt they will vary some

Edited by climber511

Central Market will be sponsoring the contest. They will be feeding all the athletes for lunch :) yummy :)

Central Market will be sponsoring the contest. They will be feeding all the athletes for lunch :) yummy :)

...Do they understand what kind of commitment they've made? :D

...Do they understand what kind of commitment they've made? :D

:laugh prolly not, J/K - I told them there will be some big hungry dudes there, so they should have an idea :laugh

• 2 weeks later...

Eric and I have decided on the entry fee: $35

I will take all forms of payment: Check, Money-order, Cash or PayPal

If you use Paypal, please add the fee amount - thanks email: p_knight@tractinc.com

Or if you mail, You can mail your fee to:

Paul Knight

5725 Searcy Dr.

Fort Worth TX, 76131

Make all checks payable to : Paul Knight

no Anthrax please

I do have a little bad news for you guys attending the comp .................... Chad Woodall has PM'ed me that he will be coming :rolleyes ..................... guess we'll have to give prizes to the top ten now if I want to get a prize :laugh

Glad you'll be joining us Oldman! I'll try to take it easy on you - we may need make sure the gym is wheelchair accessible :laugh

Edited by Paul Knight

If you use Paypal, please add the fee amount - thanks email: p_knight@tractinc.com

Paul Knight

5725 Searcy Dr.

Fort Worth TX, 76131

no Anthrax please

I do have a little bad news for you guys attending the comp .................... Chad Woodall has PM'ed me that he will be coming :rolleyes ..................... guess we'll have to give prizes to the top ten now if I want to get a prize :laugh

Glad you'll be joining us Oldman! I'll try to take it easy on you - we may need make sure the gym is wheelchair accessible :laugh

Ha Ha...you gonna have my case of cold beer ready that you are gonna owe me when I close the MM6 before Jan. 24th? I'm gonna have to get Tri Star or Sony picture's ass in here to make sure I have the video JUST right ;) I better get a Golden Globe :rock

Paul Knight

5725 Searcy Dr.

Fort Worth TX, 76131

no Anthrax please

Ha Ha...you gonna have my case of cold beer ready that you are gonna owe me when I close the MM6 before Jan. 24th? I'm gonna have to get Tri Star or Sony picture's ass in here to make sure I have the video JUST right ;) I better get a Golden Globe :rock

HaHa! If I can get the MM4 in a timely manner and then do the MM5 right after, maybe we can do a double cert on the MM6 at the comp and we can drink our beer together! ;) I'm ready for them all! ............. pushin it on the MM6 :blush but pretty damn sure I'm good for the MM5, my grippers have only been going up lately - hit a couple more PR's last night

Edited by Paul Knight

Paul Knight

5725 Searcy Dr.

Fort Worth TX, 76131

no Anthrax please

HaHa! If I can get the MM4 in a timely manner and then do the MM5 right after, maybe we can do a double cert on the MM6 at the comp and we can drink our beer together! ;) I'm ready for them all! ............. pushin it on the MM6 :blush but pretty damn sure I'm good for the MM5, my grippers have only been going up lately - hit a couple more PR's last night

Sounds like a plan :rock

Sounds like a plan :rock

sweet!

Guys, the Ironmind Axle is in the mail! - Randy sent it out yesterday - Its scheduled to arrive Wed. - I'll be sure and get it nice and seasoned by contest time :devil

• 2 weeks later...

Reminder: Entry deadline Jan 1st - we need your entry fee to cover the sick shirts we're getting and we have to order them soon. thanks in advance

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We now have At Large Nutrition on board as a sponsor too - thanks Chris!

Box of FBBC goodies on the way this am.