Metroplex Mayhem At Metroflex

Paul Knight

Great news! Jan. 26th, Eric and I will be hosting a grip comp at Metroflex gym - we have already spoken w/the necessary people at Metroflex and they are excited to have a grip contest at thier facilities. The date and location are set in stone at this point. Strongman competitor and winner of the "Texas Strongman Classic" Rendy Delacruz will be competing and has already begun recruiting people from the gym and speaking with other strongmen to compete. We will be posting fliers at Metroflex and have quite a few local guys lined up already , so I'm anticipating a high turnout - Rendy is pretty popular/connected in the srength game so I think he'll bring some tough dudes. I wasn't planning on mentioning the event schedule as it could change, but I'll start with what we have so far: Grippers of course (choked or MMS, TBD), 2HP :rolleyes (not my decision :laugh ), Medley (we may do like the GGC cause that was cool as hell - pick your poison - PYP - prolly have a few rules added though, ie.. can't have an item that is impossible for some to even attempt like blob by the face, but if you wanna perform blob plus weight - Rex :rolleyes - to smeer everyone out then you can cause everyone can fit their hand around it unless your twelve). We are going to have some type of supporting grip event (Thickbar) like Axle, RT, Crusher, or Vbar - after already speaking with several of the guys who I know are competing, we are leaning towards axle right now, and we will be having Freestyle bending - I know that might scare some away, but it will also draw some competitors in - I LOTHE 2hp, so sacrifices are being made on both ends. I'm even thinking about a sixth event, but that may be too much. maybe I can get a vote for a sixth or not. I am going to work hard at making this a big event, worth it to travel for. Lots more to discuss - I'll pickup again later

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• climber511

• MalachiMcMullen

• EricMilfeld

Be interesting to see if the axle marks hold up since some believe that all the grip guy's records would fall if strongmen, etc.. got involved with it.

SWEET!!! Man, if only I lived closer :(

Oh yeah, the quesiton has to be asked, is Ronnie planning on being there?

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I am seriously considering this contest Paul, especially since I have heard of the reputation of that gym and the calibre of strength athletes who work out there.

I have to say this though - do you think that freestyle bending could be something that is going to cause problems for the inexperienced athletes? It sounds like there may be people who compete who have never competed or bent before that are going to lose points big time due to that event.

Just a thought.

Also, is there any way to have same length bending implements? I thought that worked great for GGC. Maybe just drill rod and some FBBC thrown in there? Just curious.

Sounds great.

Hmmmm .... interesting .... I think I might come to this one. Because in this case I won't have to pay for a hotel, just stay with my aunt and uncle. We'll see what I can work out Paul but I hope to make it to this.

I just can't seem to escape these grip contests. One week I announce moving to Metroflex, and the next, there's this announcement from Paul. :D

Did my first DO bending session in a while last night!

And I agree with one of the posters above. If a good number of strongmen show up for this contest, I think it will knock the grip world on its ass.

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Man, I would love to go to this one!! Depending on the cash situation then, I just might. Sounds like a ton of fun! :rock

Dude, if we could tape Coleman giving out a big "Yeah buddy" before an axle DL attempt, I guarantee that the sport of grip would instantly become WAY more popular.

The axle weight itself should not be a problem...

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r255/Ke...an_photo340.jpg

-Rex

Dude, if we could tape Coleman giving out a big "Yeah buddy" before an axle DL attempt, I guarantee that the sport of grip would instantly become WAY more popular.

-Rex

This is going to sound gay, but look at the arse on that Ronnie!!! Each cheek looks bigger than my head :whacked

On a grip note though, Ronnie is not a weak guy in any form of physical competition. He's come close on a #3 and basically lifted the Metroflex Inch so I'd be willing to bet his numbers on the axle would be very good. That's not just Coleman fanboy talk either, the man is extremely strong.

Your right too about Ronnie and grip. There are few guys more visible than Coleman in the strength and fitness industries. Imagine if both Andy Bolton and Ronnie started talking about having fun with grip lifts! Our little sport would grow by leaps and bounds in short order, even if it's just flooded with noobs at first. We were all there once :)

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I am seriously considering this contest Paul, especially since I have heard of the reputation of that gym and the calibre of strength athletes who work out there.

I have to say this though - do you think that freestyle bending could be something that is going to cause problems for the inexperienced athletes? It sounds like there may be people who compete who have never competed or bent before that are going to lose points big time due to that event.

Just a thought.

Also, is there any way to have same length bending implements? I thought that worked great for GGC. Maybe just drill rod and some FBBC thrown in there? Just curious.

Sounds great.

Yes! :devil

Seriously though:

I have thought of that and this is my take on it: Holding this event at Metroflex creates exposure for the sport and may get alot of the right people interested in grip. I would like to use bending as a tool to help spark interest in the sport because IMO bending steel can capture the crowd. When I first started bending (1/4 crs) I was absolutley amazed that people could bend the "Red Nail" :rolleyes this was highly interesting to me and motivated me to the point to train it myself - I'm hoping to create this kind of feeling to gain the respect of some of the competing strongmen. If they start talking about how tough bending steel is .. people will listen, and it might start a nice buzz that could snowball into something good for grip.

However! .......... reverse bending can create this same effect and doesn't require as much technique - plus the "Strongmen's" chests won't get in the way :laugh - so ..... I'm game for replacing "Freestyle" with "Reverse". If too many people are opposed to this, I will put it up for vote in a pole ;)

Edited by Paul Knight

I'd rather it be DO, myself. I am technically a "strongman" after my NAS comp this past month, and so I have to deal with the challenges it poses for barrel-chested and inflexible people. Plus, I like my personal goals to overlap with my comp goals, and right now I'm trying to get back into DO bending.

But I can do reverse too.

-Rex

I'd rather it be DO, myself. I am technically a "strongman" after my NAS comp this past month, and so I have to deal with the challenges it poses for barrel-chested and inflexible people. Plus, I like my personal goals to overlap with my comp goals, and right now I'm trying to get back into DO bending.

But I can do reverse too.

-Rex

OK - I will just go ahead and create a pole to vote on.

Please don't vote guys unless you are considering coming to compete.

Whatever the numbers add up to by Jan. is what we'll go with (Majority wins)

-Rex

This is going to sound gay, but look at the arse on that Ronnie!!! Each cheek looks bigger than my head :whacked

On a grip note though, Ronnie is not a weak guy in any form of physical competition. He's come close on a #3 and basically lifted the Metroflex Inch so I'd be willing to bet his numbers on the axle would be very good. That's not just Coleman fanboy talk either, the man is extremely strong.

Your right too about Ronnie and grip. There are few guys more visible than Coleman in the strength and fitness industries. Imagine if both Andy Bolton and Ronnie started talking about having fun with grip lifts! Our little sport would grow by leaps and bounds in short order, even if it's just flooded with noobs at first. We were all there once :)

Yeah, maybe Ronnie will sacrifice some pride for the sake of making grip more popular. Because if he competes, Lord knows everyone will be aiming to beat him. Beating King Coleman at any strength sport is occassion enough to print up your own T-shirt

Front of T-shirt

"I'm stronger than Ronnie Coleman..."

Back

"AT GRIP"

-Rex

I just can't seem to escape these grip contests. One week I announce moving to Metroflex, and the next, there's this announcement from Paul. :D

And I agree with one of the posters above. If a good number of strongmen show up for this contest, I think it will knock the grip world on its ass.

-Rex

This is one of the things I'm interested in seeing - how much better grips will these strongmen have "in these events" than the top grip guys. It depends weather or not they do event training I think. If they don't - I honestly don't believe they will do as well as many people think. There is a certain amount of learning curve involved in some events.

I simply cannot and will not do DO bending due to injury so if that is what is contested - I would not consider coming. If it's reverse bending I would try very hard to come as I could compete safely and it sounds like a great contest!

-Rex

This is one of the things I'm interested in seeing - how much better grips will these strongmen have "in these events" than the top grip guys. It depends weather or not they do event training I think. If they don't - I honestly don't believe they will do as well as many people think. There is a certain amount of learning curve involved in some events.

Lets use Rendy for example - Eric took his Euro to Metroflex and Rendy was pulling 190 on it the first day he ever trained on it :blink I have also seen Rendy pull 365 on the axle thats their at the gym and IMO its harder than the IM axle - it had no chalk residue on it or rust and was super slick (I was pulling less on it than I normally pull on Eric's axle or than I've pulled on IM's) don't know if that was his limit. I've seen him hub-curl a 45 (crappy hub) and he claims to have lifted the inch at the Arnold Classic. I've also seen him pinch 5 tens and 3 45's - there's a few for starters

-Rex

Lets use Rendy for example - Eric took his Euro to Metroflex and Rendy was pulling 190 on it the first day he ever trained on it :blink I have also seen Rendy pull 365 on the axle thats their at the gym and IMO its harder than the IM axle - it had no chalk residue on it or rust and was super slick (I was pulling less on it than I normally pull on Eric's axle or than I've pulled on IM's) don't know if that was his limit. I've seen him hub-curl a 45 (crappy hub) and he claims to have lifted the inch at the Arnold Classic. I've also seen him pinch 5 tens and 3 45's - there's a few for starters

This is something no one will believe until it happens in front of them. Should be good to see how he does then!!!

-Rex

This is something no one will believe until it happens in front of them. Should be good to see how he does then!!!

the five tens were with one hand and the three 45's were with two :blush guess it read that way the way I typed it :blush

the five tens were with one hand and the three 45's were with two :blush guess it read that way the way I typed it :blush

Ah, well then nevermind :laugh

I dunno, honestly I just voted for freestyle bending, but now that I think of it, reverse would be ok too. I have recently bent some decent steel reverse, so it wouldn't sink me too bad!! :blush

I dunno, honestly I just voted for freestyle bending, but now that I think of it, reverse would be ok too. I have recently bent some decent steel reverse, so it wouldn't sink me too bad!! :blush

I think your 6" 0-1 vid means you would've tied Paul at GGC, or close, with just that bend. I don't remember what Paul bent though, was it the 555 bar?

I'll fail horribly at reverse but be happy doing it :D I'm voting for freestyle, but either way I'll try my hardest to be there.

I think your 6" 0-1 vid means you would've tied Paul at GGC, or close, with just that bend. I don't remember what Paul bent though, was it the 555 bar?

585 .302 o-1 Drillrod is what Paul bent I tried it and missed by 10 degrees then droped down to 555 and smashed it.

I would love to go to this comp I will investigate costs and update!!!