I'll be there for sure, count me in...

Great news Kevin! - you and your brother are always exciting to watch :rock

Finalized some of the events:

Grippers - MMS

2HP

Medley

Axle

Style of Bending ?

Q: for Mr. Bob Lipinski - does 2HP and Axle need to be "Rising Bar" only for the results to work for your list? and once again is sumo allowed for the axle (think its already been answered - don't remember)

still contemplating a 6th event - may not have enough time unless it runs as smoothly as GGC

Sumo is allowed for the Axle deadlift.

Another aspect of the comp that needs to be addressed...

Scoring.

We will not be using stongman scoring. We will be scoring the contest similar to the way SOHGC was scored - X amount of point will be awarded to certain amounts of weight lifted/closed/bent etc.. so that each event will be weighed evenly (Eric can elaborate on this). All the grippers will be calibrated post oiling and then oiled again the day of. Anyone bringing a gripper to be used in the comp.. please cal them after oiling and then we can oil them again comp day - Later we will make a list of all the cal'ed grippers we have, so if you wanna bring a gripper that could "bridge the gap" - you can. Get w/me if you don't have access to an RGC and IF we have time we may be able to help - we can't do a million gripper the day before (cause cal'ing sux! :angry: ) so if your dead set on a particular gripper, you may need to mail in advance (advance = couple weeks +) and simply take it home w/you. (still need to check w/Eric on this)

I believe this scoring system will actually be a disadvatage to me, as I am pretty good at some of the events, but stink at the others. This scoring system should highlight the all-rounders and not the one-hit-wonders :blush which I think most should appreciate. I'm trying to avoid any "if-thens" or "after-talk" which I see alot of, so I hope everyone is on board with our decision :)

Edited by Paul Knight

Scoring.

We will not be using stongman scoring. We will be scoring the contest similar to the way SOHGC was scored - X amount of point will be awarded to certain amounts of weight lifted/closed/bent etc.. so that each event will be weighed evenly (Eric can elaborate on this). All the grippers will be calibrated post oiling and then oiled again the day of. Anyone bringing a gripper to be used in the comp.. please cal them after oiling and then we can oil them again comp day - Later we will make a list of all the cal'ed grippers we have, so if you wanna bring a gripper that could "bridge the gap" - you can. Get w/me if you don't have access to an RGC and IF we have time we may be able to help - we can't do a million gripper the day before (cause cal'ing sux! :angry: ) so if your dead set on a particular gripper, you may need to mail in advance (advance = couple weeks +) and simply take it home w/you. (still need to check w/Eric on this)

I believe this scoring system will actually be a disadvatage to me, as I am pretty good at some of the events, but stink at the others. This scoring system should highlight the all-rounders and not the one-hit-wonders :blush which I think most should appreciate. I'm trying to avoid any "if-thens" or "after-talk" which I see alot of, so I hope everyone is on board with our decision :)

That's the same system used at GGC and Gripmas isn't it? Or close? Where everyone is given points as a percentage of the most weight lifted? So Andrew's 455 Axle pull was 10.0, I pulled 273, 273/455=.6, .6x10.0=6pts awarded to me for my effort. I really liked that method. No one could come in and dominate with little effort, they have to work to put as much distance between themselves and others to stay ahead of the all arounders.

Scoring.

That's the same system used at GGC and Gripmas isn't it? Or close? Where everyone is given points as a percentage of the most weight lifted? So Andrew's 455 Axle pull was 10.0, I pulled 273, 273/455=.6, .6x10.0=6pts awarded to me for my effort. I really liked that method. No one could come in and dominate with little effort, they have to work to put as much distance between themselves and others to stay ahead of the all arounders.

sort-of ....... I think Eric could chime in and explain better - stay tuned

Here's an example Zach - you mentioned GGC - John Eaton and Nick Rosendaul closed the #3 w/a MMS set and received 4 points for the close, whereas Jedd, Chad, Andrew and myself received 10 points for the 3.5. The 3.5 is not more than twice as hard to close than the 3 yet we were awarded more than twice the points. If X amount of points were awarded for the gripper based on the difficulty then there wouldn't be such a point spread - make sense? not sure if I'm explaining it well :blush .... really, that may have been the only event at the GGC that turned out that way after looking at the results.

Just re-read my posts ... for the record - GGC was a freakin awesome contest, couldn't have been cooler. We are just going to be making that minor adjustment in all fairness.

Just re-read my posts ... for the record - GGC was a freakin awesome contest, couldn't have been cooler. We are just going to be making that minor adjustment in all fairness.

If all the grippers are calibrated, and you use the calibration numbers instead of the # on the handle, the point spread wont be nearly as big. So lets say that #3 cal'd at 150, and that 3.5 cal'd at 185, 150/185=.81 and .81x10=8.1pts. I'm pretty sure that is how Rice did it at Gripmas '07 and it worked out very well. You could add in .3pts if you want to use the same MMS(0), CCS(+.3), TNS(+.6) idea that Jedd did for GGC(I hope that idea sticks Jedd because it's a good one!!!). Jedd/Smitty didn't use these numbers either, the grippers at GGC weren't calibrated as far as I know so the same system wouldn't work.

Paul,

Just checked the calender and Jan 26 looks like a Monday. Is this correct ? Or is this a typo ?

Paul,

Just checked the calender and Jan 26 looks like a Monday. Is this correct ? Or is this a typo ?

Yikes! your right! ............... the contest will be held on Jan 24th!!!!!!! (Saturday)

everybody get that? Jan 24! :blush:blush

Im in.

Awesome! and thanks for catching that Casey!

• 3 weeks later...

Ironmind will be sponsoring the contest. (www.Ironmind.com)

so.... we will be using an IM Axle for the DO deadlift :)

Paul- Send a pm if you ever need to get a hold of me.

I am not a stickler for rising bar. And sumo is allowed!

Paul- Send a pm if you ever need to get a hold of me.

I am not a stickler for rising bar. And sumo is allowed!

great news Bob! thanks

I would like to start a competitors list, so If you are planning on attending please PM me to let me know, even if you already told me previously on the phone or whatever - thanks

Details are pinned above! Only a few minor details remain to be ironed out.

We have another sponsor: Fat Bastard Barbell Co.

Thanks, John!

I'm even thinking about a sixth event, but that may be too much. maybe I can get a vote for a sixth or not.

HMMM, How about DU bending for the 6th event :D

• 2 weeks later...

I just looked over the competitor list - you are at 19 I think - is there a cut off number? Also it might be nice to know what the specialty or background of everyone is - Example - grip guy - body builder - Strongman - PL etc seeing as how I've never heard of many of these guys.

And with 20 or so people - a 6th event is going to make for a long day - but I don't care - I'm not going anywhere afterwards anyway.

I just looked over the competitor list - you are at 19 I think - is there a cut off number? Also it might be nice to know what the specialty or background of everyone is - Example - grip guy - body builder - Strongman - PL etc seeing as how I've never heard of many of these guys.

And with 20 or so people - a 6th event is going to make for a long day - but I don't care - I'm not going anywhere afterwards anyway.

We aren't doing a 6th event anymore, especially because of how many guys are already saying that they are coming - don't think we are going to have a cut off - this comp looks like its going to be pretty big - we need to make sure its well organized so that it doesn't drag on - bring your coffee and redbull's just in case - if we can have it run like GGC then it shouldn't be too bad.

I'll go through the competitors list later and try to label the competitors specialty/background

I'm curious as to what is the biggest grip contest to date, in terms of number of guys competing. Anyone know? Maybe one of the earlier Global Grip Challenges?

I'll go through the competitors list later and try to label the competitors specialty/background

If possible Paul, I'd like to invent some extremely romantic and spurious story--a myth, really--about my origins and background. This may give me a competitive edge.

"In a distant land, raised by a pack of wolves, Rex began to develop his strength by..."

-Rex