The Most Muscular Hands I Have Seen

shizen

1. The rules changed back in 2004. Before then you didn't have to do a credit card set. And in 2006 or so they bought in the out of the package rule.

2. Search for clay edgin vid on youtube. For the Dave Morton one go to www.cyberpump.com/gallery Not too hard to find. As for Kinney's vid it is not online. http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=8207

I believe I read on Marunde-Muscle that there was an instance at either the Arnold or some other expo where Jesse, Mariusz and one other WSM competitor were handed some grippers. Jesse is a CoC and closed it, Mariusz attempted it(no set obviously) and didn't come close. Mariusz smiled and walked off for a bit :) Closing grippers is a very specific strength to have without training.

I agree it is specific. I suspect that Mariusz does not have big hands either. I doubt if he is a big number Rolling Thunder guy.

Two "Strong Man" stories of grippers. One I have mentioned several times, the other never mentioned.

At a grip contest in Los Angeles in November of 2006, Odd Haugen entered and won. He cleaned up in the Rolling Thunder and Axle. He closed a IM No. 2 no set. There were tougher grippers there, and I don't remember what he tried. All I know for certain is that his close was a Number 2. We had a RB160 that I rated a 2.3, we had a Super Master that we put at 2.5. His best was a 2. Haugen has a good grip.

There was a Strongman contest at Venice Beach in June of 2007, the one where Dave O defeated Mariusz. After the contest, some guys were playing around with implements. Kevin Bussi and I were playing with my Number 3. Bussi was casually closing it, and I was squeezing it to around a quarter inch from closing. Derek Boyer, an Australian strongman born in Fiji, came over, held out his hand to get the gripper, and said, "what number is that?" Kevin replied, "it's a 3". Boyer turned around and walked away without saying anything.

I believe I read on Marunde-Muscle that there was an instance at either the Arnold or some other expo where Jesse, Mariusz and one other WSM competitor were handed some grippers. Jesse is a CoC and closed it, Mariusz attempted it(no set obviously) and didn't come close. Mariusz smiled and walked off for a bit :) Closing grippers is a very specific strength to have without training.

I agree it is specific. I suspect that Mariusz does not have big hands either. I doubt if he is a big number Rolling Thunder guy.

Two "Strong Man" stories of grippers. One I have mentioned several times, the other never mentioned.

At a grip contest in Los Angeles in November of 2006, Odd Haugen entered and won. He cleaned up in the Rolling Thunder and Axle. He closed a IM No. 2 no set. There were tougher grippers there, and I don't remember what he tried. All I know for certain is that his close was a Number 2. We had a RB160 that I rated a 2.3, we had a Super Master that we put at 2.5. His best was a 2. Haugen has a good grip.

There was a Strongman contest at Venice Beach in June of 2007, the one where Dave O defeated Mariusz. After the contest, some guys were playing around with implements. Kevin Bussi and I were playing with my Number 3. Bussi was casually closing it, and I was squeezing it to around a quarter inch from closing. Derek Boyer, an Australian strongman born in Fiji, came over, held out his hand to get the gripper, and said, "what number is that?" Kevin replied, "it's a 3". Boyer turned around and walked away without saying anything.

Aside from his axle and RT performances what makes you say this? Both of these are hand size dependent and he has very large hands. He's a strongman legend so I don't doubt that he does have a great grip but what has he done other than these two handsize feats? Does he have a big 2HP? Has he levered heavy sledges? Did he pull a big vbar? Did he one hand deadlift a lot on a 1" barbell? Did he pull a huge dyno? Did he regularly win the herc hold throughout his career? Thanks in advance.

Josh

Aside from his axle and RT performances what makes you say this? Both of these are hand size dependent and he has very large hands. He's a strongman legend so I don't doubt that he does have a great grip but what has he done other than these two handsize feats? Does he have a big 2HP? Has he levered heavy sledges? Did he pull a big vbar? Did he one hand deadlift a lot on a 1" barbell? Did he pull a huge dyno? Did he regularly win the herc hold throughout his career? Thanks in advance.

Josh

You seem to be asking those questions with a bit of sarcasm, so I will answer accordingly. I don't think "pulling a big vbar" means spit. That day, he pulled 306, and I pulled 321. He lost a quarter sized piece of skin doing it, so he had to stop. It was his first touching the implement ever. Does that mean, because I "beat him" in the vbar and grippers, my grip was better than his, because he has larger hands? I don't think so. My best vbar is better than Tommy's best vbar (based on a conversation I had with him in June of 2006 at AOBS). Do I have a better grip than Tommy? Hardly.

My basing the statement that he "has a good grip" is based on common knowledge in the strength world that he is known for his grip, and my personally seeing him carrying a one piece timber frame at the age of 57 in a contest farther than any other competitor before setting it down. It weighed between 880 and 900 pounds. Perhaps someone should ask Dave Ostlund if he thinks Haugen has a good grip.

My point of bringing up Haugen and Boyer is that it is pretty common on this board for people to judge someone's grip strength on what one does on grippers. In addition, there are guys on this board, usually newer ones, who mistakenly believe that muscular forearms translate into big gripper closes. There are guys on this board who are surprised that big muscular bodybuilders cannot do spit with grippers. There are guys on this board who are always doing "what ifs" for strongmen and grippers. Grippers are a specialty event. Kicking Mariusz's ass in grippers does not mean much one way or another, except a personal egocentric assurance.

Another story I have told at least once on this board. I was talking to Haugen about Dan Harrison (the former Meatloaf) and was puzzled that his Axle and Rolling Thunder lifts were so low when Dan was so strong. He responded that Dan's problem was that "he did not have a good grip". I said, "he can close the 3", to which Haugen just waved his hand in dismissal. It was obvious that he (Haugen) couldn't care less about grippers.

I know someone who tested Slim Farman on a Baseline dyno in 2003. It was under 80kg. I think Slim has a good grip.

Dennis Rogers cannot close the 3. I think he has a good grip.

This thread started about big muscular hands. I maintain that looks can be deceiving, and "what ifs" for this guy or that guy are mostly irrelevant.

Hub you make good points but any pro bodybuilder or pro strongman in my opinion has a strong grip just like you said about your examples. They have been handling huge weights for a very long time to say they don't have strong hands is silly.

A big reason I train grip is to have muscular hands and forearms so this guy is kind of an inspiration for me.

I do agree a lot of 'what ifs' go along here, but its just discussion like theories its how new ideas in training are formed also so I don't think they are that big of a deal.

Josh

You seem to be asking those questions with a bit of sarcasm, so I will answer accordingly. I don't think "pulling a big vbar" means spit. That day, he pulled 306, and I pulled 321. He lost a quarter sized piece of skin doing it, so he had to stop. It was his first touching the implement ever. Does that mean, because I "beat him" in the vbar and grippers, my grip was better than his, because he has larger hands? I don't think so. My best vbar is better than Tommy's best vbar (based on a conversation I had with him in June of 2006 at AOBS). Do I have a better grip than Tommy? Hardly.

There was no sarcasm intended, but fair enough. If his grip is so strong why could a strength legend not beat a self-admitted elderly accountant other than on two handsize events?

My basing the statement that he "has a good grip" is based on common knowledge in the strength world that he is known for his grip, and my personally seeing him carrying a one piece timber frame at the age of 57 in a contest farther than any other competitor before setting it down. It weighed between 880 and 900 pounds. Perhaps someone should ask Dave Ostlund if he thinks Haugen has a good grip.

So what is this common knowledge based on? This is what I was originally asking. If it's because he cleans up on thickbar events; sorry that doesn't do it for me, given his handsize. If it's because he's the farmer walk and herc hold king, great, that's what I was interested in. Regarding the frame; how big was the area you gripped? Was it handsize dependent? If it was, was there other large handed guys there like Pfister?

My point of bringing up Haugen and Boyer is that it is pretty common on this board for people to judge someone's grip strength on what one does on grippers. In addition, there are guys on this board, usually newer ones, who mistakenly believe that muscular forearms translate into big gripper closes. There are guys on this board who are surprised that big muscular bodybuilders cannot do spit with grippers. There are guys on this board who are always doing "what ifs" for strongmen and grippers. Grippers are a specialty event. Kicking Mariusz's ass in grippers does not mean much one way or another, except a personal egocentric assurance.

Grippers are no more a specialty event than any other grip event. You have to train them to be good at them. I find it interesting that when strongmen competitors or other well known strength athletes can't peform a grip event, it's dismissed as a speciality event but events they do good on are considered "real tests of grip". Axle and RT are the perfect examples and the fact that these strongmen that excel at these have huge hands just seems to get swept under the rug.

Another story I have told at least once on this board. I was talking to Haugen about Dan Harrison (the former Meatloaf) and was puzzled that his Axle and Rolling Thunder lifts were so low when Dan was so strong. He responded that Dan's problem was that "he did not have a good grip". I said, "he can close the 3", to which Haugen just waved his hand in dismissal. It was obvious that he (Haugen) couldn't care less about grippers.

So Haugen not caring about grippers means they aren't a good measure? Haugen can't close a #3 so therefor it's not a good measure because he has a good grip. Wow that's great logic (plenty of sarcasm). How big are Dan's hands? Anywhere near the size of Haugens?

I know someone who tested Slim Farman on a Baseline dyno in 2003. It was under 80kg. I think Slim has a good grip.

Slim does have a good grip. Does he have a elite crushing grip; NO. The handshake fans need to refer to his handsize, please and thank you. If Haugen can't lever the sledge Slim can, does that mean that sledge levering is another specialty feat because Haugen has a great grip?

Dennis Rogers cannot close the 3. I think he has a good grip.

Also has good grip, but unless he's pulling some huge dyno, his crushing grip isn't great. If Haugen can't tear a deck that Dennis can does that mean that card tearing is another specialty feat because Haugen has a great grip?

This thread started about big muscular hands. I maintain that looks can be deceiving, and "what ifs" for this guy or that guy are mostly irrelevant.

Kevin Nee has claimed in one interview that he can't even close a #2. Didn't seem too worried about it either.

"What gripper can he close?" is probably the second most commonly asked newbie question about strongman, right behind "What can he bench?"

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

Kevin Nee has claimed in one interview that he can't even close a #2. Didn't seem too worried about it either.

-Rex

Neither can Kovacs.

Odd Haugen

About Odd: Favorite event: "I like most of the events, but the favorites would be the ones involving grip strength".....Best event: "Farmers Walk for distance with VERY heavy weight".

A couple years ago at the Arnold - my son and I were backstage building warmup platforms for the Oly lifting when all the Pro Strongman came backstage for their events. We got to shake hands with all of them - no doubt the largest group of monster hands I have ever seen. Phil of course has paws but Mario may have had the most "meat" on his hands of any of them. Then Sean tried to kill Mario by running into him with a load of plywood and bumper plates on a cart but that's another story :D

... Then Sean tried to kill Mario by running into him with a load of plywood and bumper plates on a cart but that's another story :D

I'd like to hear that one :D

Haugen has a good grip.

It is a very simple declarative (and factual) sentence.

It prompted no less than 18 questions from one member, and of course towards the issue of hand size.

Based on statments made on ESPN and ESPN2, Haugen's grip is better known than any other member of the Gripboard throughout the world. Millions of viewers versus handfuls of members.

I don't believe "has a good grip" is an extreme statement, nor do I believe a statement like "most bodybuilders do not have a good grip" is an extreme statement. There is obviously some type of misdirected hostility going on that is well beyond my reach.

Mike Corlett

Haugen has a good grip.

It prompted no less than 18 questions from one member, and of course towards the issue of hand size.

Based on statments made on ESPN and ESPN2, Haugen's grip is better known than any other member of the Gripboard throughout the world. Millions of viewers versus handfuls of members.

I don't believe "has a good grip" is an extreme statement, nor do I believe a statement like "most bodybuilders do not have a good grip" is an extreme statement. There is obviously some type of misdirected hostility going on that is well beyond my reach.

Mike Corlett

Well I need to get packing for BBB. I've already asked 18 questions, questions which just asked for examples of his good grip, not refute the claim and I have received very few if any, logical answers yet; just people getting offended and defending their heroes. Hopefully, Haugen will take his worldwide-known grip and compete with some of us lesser-knowns in some more grip contests so we'll know the answers to some of my 18 questions and with any luck, the events he doesn't fair well on won't be erased from the history of grip since "Haugen has a good grip".

Haugen has a good grip.

Mike Corlett

Well I need to get packing for BBB. I've already asked 18 questions, questions which just asked for examples of his good grip, not refute the claim and I have received very few if any, logical answers yet; just people getting offended and defending their heroes. Hopefully, Haugen will take his worldwide-known grip and compete with some of us lesser-knowns in some more grip contests so we'll know the answers to some of my 18 questions and with any luck, the events he doesn't fair well on won't be erased from the history of grip since "Haugen has a good grip".

Channel that stuf jad. You will do well tomorrow!