Squats - One Of The King Exercises

Bill Piche

Do em. They are deadlift builders too. My deadlift always followed my squat and not vice versa.

Because they are so effective they can also be destructive when abused or done improperly. Always keep that in mind with the big effective exercises. If they are big mass builders and stimulators of the body, then they can also destroy the body and break it down.

Back lifting and hip tuck with max weights are two ways to turn a productive squat exercise to the dark side.

Knees were getting sore (probably due to some inadvertent poor form?) with regular suats and I switched to pause squats. Knee pain disappeared but the hamstrings are torched for about 3 days aftewards now :rock

I think that regardless of what sport or activity a person participates in, squats will make him or her better. I squat three times a week religiously. They must be performed correctly to be of benefit though, and that's why I do mine like the Bulgarians.

Knee pain can be due to excessive forward lean and not sitting back. I've also seen this due to bouncing in the bottom or twisting during descent or ascent.

Knee pain can be due to excessive forward lean and not sitting back. I've also seen this due to bouncing in the bottom or twisting during descent or ascent.

I was probably bouncing on some of the higher reps on the 20 reppers if I had to guess.

Knees were getting sore (probably due to some inadvertent poor form?) with regular suats and I switched to pause squats. Knee pain disappeared but the hamstrings are torched for about 3 days aftewards now :rock

I think about spreading the floor apart with my feet when I squat. It really helps engage the hips and also keeps my knees in a good spot. :)

A large majority of people who don't know what they are doing usually squat to parallel or, more often, well above it. Squatting to WPO parallel and higher puts massive stresses on the knees. MASSIVE STRESSES. Your knees end up taking the full brunt of the weight with high squats. As you can imagine, that's not good. Squatting to AT LEAST IPF Parallel transfers the stress safely from the knees to the hamstrings and glutes which can handle the stress. Your knees do not get destroyed doing full squats or OLY squats. I'm willing to bet my knees on it. I used to squat high before I knew what I was doing and my knees started aching late in the days following. I figured it would go away but it didn't. Long story short, I found a few things on the internet that made sense and pointed to full squats or IPF parallel squats and I haven't had a knee pain since.

The back squat has always been the foundtion to my Strength training. When done right It is awesome!

A large majority of people who don't know what they are doing usually squat to parallel or, more often, well above it. Squatting to WPO parallel and higher puts massive stresses on the knees. MASSIVE STRESSES. Your knees end up taking the full brunt of the weight with high squats. As you can imagine, that's not good. Squatting to AT LEAST IPF Parallel transfers the stress safely from the knees to the hamstrings and glutes which can handle the stress. Your knees do not get destroyed doing full squats or OLY squats. I'm willing to bet my knees on it. I used to squat high before I knew what I was doing and my knees started aching late in the days following. I figured it would go away but it didn't. Long story short, I found a few things on the internet that made sense and pointed to full squats or IPF parallel squats and I haven't had a knee pain since.

How does going lower save your knees? Don't you have to go through WPO to get to IPF/OLY? Thanks in advance.

Josh

How does going lower save your knees? Don't you have to go through WPO to get to IPF/OLY? Thanks in advance.

Josh

Yes, you have to pull through that but it's better than stopping right there. Your forcing the musculature around the knee to stop the weight when you stop at WPO height. When you move through it, your not putting as much stress on the joint and instead making your glutes and hams stop the weight. At least that's my understanding. It really has helped my knees get better and I don't even feel the aching I did when I was 16-17.

Josh

Yes, you have to pull through that but it's better than stopping right there. Your forcing the musculature around the knee to stop the weight when you stop at WPO height. When you move through it, your not putting as much stress on the joint and instead making your glutes and hams stop the weight. At least that's my understanding. It really has helped my knees get better and I don't even feel the aching I did when I was 16-17.

That makes sense. Thanks Zach.

Josh

That makes sense. Thanks Zach.

It also promotes flexiblity ;) For a lot of guys, like myself, they have more than enough flexibility to go as low as low goes. Why not strengthen yourself through the full ROM? :)

depth preferences aside, I like how after a good set of 20 reppers, even my upper back is sore the next day :rock

depth preferences aside, I like how after a good set of 20 reppers, even my upper back is sore the next day :rock

Amen. High rep squats rule!!!!!

All this is so true and I have always squated atg style and my knees have never given me any problems at all of couse I am not a big squatter anyway but I keep getting stronger at 50 also. Just don't try to convince a gym owner about it or as Bill Starr said when I wrote and asked him about it don't waste your time arguing about it.

All this is so true and I have always squated atg style and my knees have never given me any problems at all of couse I am not a big squatter anyway but I keep getting stronger at 50 also. Just don't try to convince a gym owner about it or as Bill Starr said when I wrote and asked him about it don't waste your time arguing about it.

Haha, indeed. Very few people actually think going as low as possible is better for the knees. I've gotten into arguments with a few guys at the gym I used to squat at. They weren't having any of it. Durniat has a fantastic printout on his gym wall that explains the benefits in a quick and concise way.

Josh

Josh - do you know your TLA's?

Josh

Josh - do you know your TLA's?

Haha, gets me every time!!!

Zach,

If you are able to find the articles that convinced you to switch to the full squat, I would be interested in reading them.

Thanks,

Rex

I just tried a no-weight full squat (narrow stance) in my hallway, holding door knobs for support. My left knee let out something akin to the firing of a .22 Short Rifle. :)

-Rex

Squats are king. Front like nick said will hit the quads more and I feel it is easier to go to full depth in the front squat. I'll copy the Bill Starr print out for everyone about going deep. One thing about going deep though, make SURE you have the flexibility to go deep BEFORE you try going deep with weight. As Zach says, 'Train hard, but train SMART

Zach,

If you are able to find the articles that convinced you to switch to the full squat, I would be interested in reading them.

Thanks,

Rex

I'll see if I can dig them up. Ironically, most of them were on Bodybuilding.com :laugh The printout on Durniat's wall is a great motivator towards the full squat too.

I'd much appreciate it Andrew!!!

EDIT: You know what Rex? My older brother experiences the same exact thing when he squats as low as he can. I'm not sure what causes his or if it's the same thing but for him, it's purely a matter of flexibility. He can't do the Asian squat without falling down either :laugh

Edited by MalachiMcMullen