345 Bench Rep Out

TKtheGreek

I'm "assuming" you're a pretty young guy and your shoulders can take it now, but that form will KILL your rotatars as you get older. Touch & Go means slowly lower to the chest and touch, then drive it back up. You had some major bounce on each rep, so I'd guess a 345 pause rep might be where you're at right now.

I don't mean to come off negative I'd just hate to see you end your lifting career early like SO many guys I know. Tighten up your form and stay healthy over the long haul ;)

im not a powerlifter i dont compete in bench press, i have no desire to pause anything, im 21 now so pretty young, and it was hardly major bounce. Can i ask your expertise????? Just cause the weight goes up quickly doesnt mean that you bounce it either i just rewatched the video and minimal bounce. And guess what you "guess" wrong

Yikes dude...what do you consider a bounce? In my opinion, I would call that a major bounce, and it was on each rep.

There was a little bounce, I wouldn't call it a major bounce. I've seen two guys in their late 40's early 50's bounce much bigger than that. I'm not certain a bounce like that will do any more damage to the shoulders, but you can always get a little tighter and a little better setup and that could lead to bigger weights. But I think you'll figure that out as your form evolves over the next few years.

Haha, there was very little bounce and even then only on the last 2 or 3 reps. The first 3 looked quite clean to me. Like Jeff said there is room for some tightening and cleaner setup but it was a good bench.

Teddy, hate to tell you this and don't be mad but there was definitely bounce, and I saw it on nearly every rep, some less so then others but still. Also, contrary to what Brendan says, watch Smitty's video, he says using the L Shape in the arm while benching is a good way to seriosuly screw up your shoulders in the long run. He also shows how to get a really good arch and whatnot.

Watch the ends of the bar flexing 2-3" down and whipping back up on each rep. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers, just pointed out that your form is far from tight and will set you up for injury as you get older. At 21 your body can take it, at 41 your body will hate you for it.

My "expertise" is being older and wiser and having learned a LOT of things the hard way. You can either benefit from my experience or learn the hard way yourself ;)

I don't mean to come off negative I'd just hate to see you end your lifting career early like SO many guys I know. Tighten up your form and stay healthy over the long haul ;)

Watching that video I had a problem with the spotter behind you... what was he doing? Sitting there looking pretty? If you had gotten into trouble, it looked like he's NOT in the mood or shape to help you - i.e. you were all by yourself on that bench (bad, very bad). Glad you were able to re-rack it on your own cuz it looked like he wasn't about to do anything! :dry

Watching that video I had a problem with the spotter behind you... what was he doing? Sitting there looking pretty? If you had gotten into trouble, it looked like he's NOT in the mood or shape to help you - i.e. you were all by yourself on that bench (bad, very bad). Glad you were able to re-rack it on your own cuz it looked like he wasn't about to do anything! :dry

ugh i know but you gotta take what you can get. I've gotten so pissed at him before cause the weight will be sitting on my chest for a good 2-3 secs before he comes in.

Update i maxed and got 400.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ru_7NdVDY

Another update im gonna stop being so hard headed and use diesal crew bench technique to keep elbows tucked and take the pressure off my shoulder. I already had an ac joint surgey on my right shoulder lol. Was never sure of the culprite i always associated it with throwing shotput/hammer/ behind the neck pushpress

Edited by TKtheGreek

Nice one Teddy!! Your spotter was even worse this time!! He looked like he was zoning out for most of the lift, you need some spotters from NYBB or IM before you hurt yourself with that lackluster spotter.

Nice one Teddy!! Your spotter was even worse this time!! He looked like he was zoning out for most of the lift, you need some spotters from NYBB or IM before you hurt yourself with that lackluster spotter.

Thanks guys. Yea I have a video of the weight (335) just droping on my chest from about 6 inches below lockout cause he wasnt paying attention lol. :laugh

Awesome Job Teddy!!! :mosher:mosher:mosher

Brendan

Teddy, hate to tell you this and don't be mad but there was definitely bounce, and I saw it on nearly every rep, some less so then others but still. Also, contrary to what Brendan says, watch Smitty's video, he says using the L Shape in the arm while benching is a good way to seriosuly screw up your shoulders in the long run. He also shows how to get a really good arch and whatnot.

Derek I think you misunderstood me the elbow correction is what I was trying to explain to Teddy.The L shape style is what teddy is favoring.Smitty is demonstrating what I was trying to explain.

ugh i know but you gotta take what you can get. I've gotten so pissed at him before cause the weight will be sitting on my chest for a good 2-3 secs before he comes in.

Update i maxed and got 400.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ru_7NdVDY

Another update im gonna stop being so hard headed and use diesal crew bench technique to keep elbows tucked and take the pressure off my shoulder. I already had an ac joint surgey on my right shoulder lol. Was never sure of the culprite i always associated it with throwing shotput/hammer/ behind the neck pushpress

Nice work! :rock I agree with the others, it looks like your little brother just woke up from a nap. He's useless back there. :erm

Derek I think you misunderstood me the elbow correction is what I was trying to explain to Teddy.The L shape style is what teddy is favoring.Smitty is demonstrating what I was trying to explain.

Haha I didn't misunderstand you, I just didn't see your post :D And also you don't really explicitly say it's bad as smitty does, you just say it favors the shoulder.

I had a bench press accident about 7 yrs ago. Bursted my liver lost over half my blood and almost kicked the bucket. It still makes me nervous to bench or to watch anybody else bench. This subject is very serious to me. My brother was spotting me at the time. Be aware that when something goes wrong on bench it can happen so fast even a good spotter can have trouble catching that bar.

I had a bench press accident about 7 yrs ago. Bursted my liver lost over half my blood and almost kicked the bucket. It still makes me nervous to bench or to watch anybody else bench. This subject is very serious to me. My brother was spotting me at the time. Be aware that when something goes wrong on bench it can happen so fast even a good spotter can have trouble catching that bar.

Gee, thanks for sharing :pinch

This is very true, only this week my training partner came very close to decapitating himself on a 450 attempt, I was ready and alert but he came out of line the bar went backwards towards his neck and his elbow completely gave way, it all happened in a split second and at first I wasn't even sure I had got it in time. I was inches from the bar and it still touched his neck before I could stop it but only just touched luckily. for a moment from the look on his face I thought it had crushed his windpipe or something but luckily the pain was from his elbow. Also make sure the spotter is strong enough becuase if the person on the bench completely fails (and we didnt expect this as my training partner is good for this weight, he just lost form or concentration for a second) the spotter needs to be able to take the whole weight and a 450lb high pull to get it back on the rack is no fun as I found out.

Edited by Stew

This is very true, only this week my training partner came very close to decapitating himself on a 450 attempt, I was ready and alert but he came out of line the bar went backwards towards his neck and his elbow completely gave way, it all happened in a split second and at first I wasn't even sure I had got it in time. I was inches from the bar and it still touched his neck before I could stop it but only just touched luckily. for a moment from the look on his face I thought it had crushed his windpipe or something but luckily the pain was from his elbow. Also make sure the spotter is strong enough becuase if the person on the bench completely fails (and we didnt expect this as my training partner is good for this weight, he just lost form or concentration for a second) the spotter needs to be able to take the whole weight and a 450lb high pull to get it back on the rack is no fun as I found out.

I was judging a contest once when a guy was using a false grip and was wearing a bench shirt he was half way up on the attempt and the bar just fell on his chest so fast that neither spotter on either side could react. He was ok but they had him lay on the floor to mobilize him and cut his bench shirt off him. they took him to the hospital by ambulance and the funny part was the hospital was across the street from the gym where the contest was. I learned that when judging a contest if a false grip is being used tell the spotters to be on extra alert. I guess that in WABDL meets if you use a false grip you have to sign a waver. I doubt that any one on the GRIPBOARD would use a false grip!

Strangely I have been actually using a false grip lately, I have seen a lot of reccomendations against this but for some reason seem to get slightly better power with my hands in that position, Its very much an experimental thing and I may not continue on with it as yours is just the latest of the bad stories I have heard about people having accidents using this grip.

Strangely I have been actually using a false grip lately, I have seen a lot of reccomendations against this but for some reason seem to get slightly better power with my hands in that position, Its very much an experimental thing and I may not continue on with it as yours is just the latest of the bad stories I have heard about people having accidents using this grip.

Be extra careful if the bar is bent or slightly bent, is springy if you're used to a stiff bar, or if you go close or closer than normal grip. Other than that its mostly fine :)

I defenitly remember when that happened to you Case - It opened my eyes for sure, cause if that bar starts falling forward/away from your spotter, instead of just straight down, there's not alot he can do - best way is to have 2, but you know..