Top 50 Apollons Axle Do Dl List

burkhardmacht

The Apollons Axle has obviously developed to a standard event in grip contests in the last two years.

What about making a Top50 list? Who is interested in it and who would do the record chairman (if this is ok with the gripboard moderators)?

Would be nice to hear Your thoughts! :rock

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bob Lipinski

• burkhardmacht

• bencrush

• Matt Brouse

Good idea! I'm interested in seeing that list. And then being on it eventually.

Great idea Burkhard, and long overdue.

I would like to see as many grip events on lists as possible. Record lists create interest, foster friendly competition and recognize various levels of excellence.

Sounds good. However, let's not kid ourselves..."grip guys" are not the Top Dogs on something like this. I would hope, as something very "unofficial", that this would be something not demanding formal calibrations.

Thanks for the replies! :rock

Sounds good. However, let's not kid ourselves..."grip guys" are not the Top Dogs on something like this. I would hope, as something very "unofficial", that this would be something not demanding formal calibrations.

It's possible that there are Strongmen who could outpull a lot of grip guys on the DO Axle DL but that's also possible with other events. It would be interesting to know how the ranking is in the gripworld. Most strongmen will never enter a grip comp so we will have problems for a real comparison. For me it would be no problem if there's a strongman at the top of the list.

Concerning the calibration stuff - hmm.. i don't know if we should only allow calibrated weights or not. At this moment I think it would be consequent to use calibrated weights only - because the other lists are also based on those weights or we mark those lifts with uncalibrated weights.

Another point: the list should be restricted to DLs from the floor with discs of standard size (no tires as weights etc.).

and:

Sumo DL and Conventional Style should be both allowed.

Let me know what You think!

I can't believe there is not a list already. As far as strongmen out pulling 'grip guys' - you set your own limitations.

I would agree because it's another handsize event and most of the Strongmen Competitors have large hands.

yeh, some strongman competitors could pull big numbers here, mark felix would probably do the best - considering the 300lb RT / world class deadlift, i would guess somewhere in the 300kg range

Great idea, do the list!

I think that the elite of strongman could pull big numbers here.

Some time ago, in Strength Discussion forum, Terry Hollands said that he pulled 240 kg on a 2 inch bar double overhand.

But i think that the man in this lift is Chris James, he said in this forum that his best is 250 kg. Matt Graham lifted the same but with hook grip.

We shall see about the strongmen!

DOUBLE OVERHAND AXLE DEADLIFT (American Records)

1. 454, Odd Haugen, California Iron Grip 2006

2. 400, Jeff Bissonette

3. 396, Chad Woodall, MGC (Germany) 2007*

4. 396, Jedd Johnson Gripmas 2007*

5. 390, Ryan Klein, MGI 2006

6. 385, Dave Thorton Gripmas 2007

Expect Andrew Durnait to be added to this after tomorrow. I only included full ROM lifts here.

Who would like to do the records chairman? Bob Lipinski and Eric Milfeld come to my mind - what about You guys?

Should we include the old records or start without any lifts?

Edited by Burkhard Macht

I like the idea of a list I have been wondering latley what the record without straps was.

What's a full range of motion lift? Tires? Big 100's? 45's?

I've noticed that varies by contest.

45s would surely be the standard. I think most guys can pull quite a bit more with even 6" less range of motion. I remember pulling 370 a few inches off the pins back when I could only do 300-310.

I've only counted 45's.

If you are looking for someone to do the list, I guess I could if no one else wants to. Whatever anyone else decides is good with me- I will continue my American list.

I am pretty sure the height of the axle at gripmas 2007 was a little higher than 45's. I think the BBB contest that did the axle was a little higher as well, not certain about that though.

And again, do we want a down signal or not? Personally I think there should be a "down" signal.

The tires were a bit higher.

And again, do we want a down signal or not? Personally I think there should be a "down" signal.

The tires were a bit higher.

I agree wholeheartedly. I wont be using a down command at LCQ, though :rolleyes I really think it needs to be a full, powerlifting style, "Lift" and "Down" commanded lift.

My answer is YES!!!!

I've only counted 45's.

If you are looking for someone to do the list, I guess I could if no one else wants to. Whatever anyone else decides is good with me- I will continue my American list.

It would be cool if You would start the international list! :rock

For sure we should only count 45's, only with down signal and IMO only on an original IronMind Apollons Axle.

Edited by Burkhard Macht

If involvement from the strongman community is desired, I would lean towards whatever standards they have set.

I think:

Allow a little variation in tires vs. 45's, maybe a max starting height - keep it inclusive

Set the bar diameter requirement at 2", do not specify brand - again keep it inclusive

No knurling - obvious

Double overhand grip - obvious

Regarding the down signal, it is logical. But is it what the strength community already does? Do other groups like the IAWA already contest the axle? How do they do it?

A list where someone is number one by virtue of super restrictive criteria that excludes most competition on the axle does not make much sense to me.

If involvement from the strongman community is desired, I would lean towards whatever standards they have set.

I think:

Allow a little variation in tires vs. 45's, maybe a max starting height - keep it inclusive

Set the bar diameter requirement at 2", do not specify brand - again keep it inclusive

No knurling - obvious

Double overhand grip - obvious

Regarding the down signal, it is logical. But is it what the strength community already does? Do other groups like the IAWA already contest the axle? How do they do it?

A list where someone is number one by virtue of super restrictive criteria that excludes most competition on the axle does not make much sense to me.

The strongman community does have the down signal.

I think the tires should be as close as possible to 45's size. Perhaps a tolerance should be brought in?

The "down" signal is pretty common in deadlifts, only place I have seen it not used has been the grip community.

I have no really opinion on the standards, just as long as some are set. If David Horne or Jedd would chime in their opinion, it might help us. My only thing would be no hook grip.

A good Mikael-style treatment of the rules is in order! I would start any list from scratch, because there has been quite a bit of variation in styles. I would keep my American record list intact.

I don't think knurling should be out. The 2" solid thick bar I have has knurling and is one of the more economical options for thick bars. Why would you eliminate a subset of a small group of implements to begin with? Plus I'm not sure the knurling makes anything any easier anyway.