Us Championship 08

Bob Lipinski

My prediction - I will beat everyone who doesn't come to the contest. Otherwise I expect to receive a sound drubbing! I'm glad Chad is back - I really enjoyed the Chad, Jedd, Dave T and JAD wars of the past and am looking forward to seeing how some of the new up and comers will do this time around. Just a little food for thought as you all try to predict things - I used the Gripmas scoring system on the MGC results - it certainly changed a few things around a bit!

That'd be really interesting to see the results when reconfigured with the Gripmas scoring system. Any chance of us seeing that Chris? Unless it means you beat me and then we'll just call it square, haha. :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• Too Tall

• Jedd Johnson

• Bob Lipinski

Hell, post it Chris! I don't mind. If it helps you out any, I'd say the RB300N calibrates at 160, HG300 at 145, NGM at 130ish. Close guesses.

I have it on an Excel sheet - if anyone knows how to put that so it's viewable, PM me your email and I can send it to you. Everything is over my head it seems. I just used a simple system of places on the medley as I didn't have the actual medley points - this could I assume make a difference but I wouldn't expect by much. I did it simply to help me understand the scoring systems better.

Edited by climber511

Josh Dale

Jedd Johnson

Dave Thorton

John Eaton

Bob Lipinski

Ben Edwards

Brent Barbe

Jeff Flynn

Chris Rice

I only went far enough to see where it put me but it did mix up the first 3 places a bit.

Do you want actual Medley points to make it more accurate? I am guessing it won't change things much, the gap between Josh, Jedd, and Dave was 1-2 points each if I remember right.

I am going to continue strongman scoring in mine for a while. If the popular outcry is big enough, I might change. I did a Euro type scoring in one of my contests, and many of the regular MI competitors who had an opinion preferred strongman style.

I did a quick recount of the top 3, it went like Chris wrote- I think. Lowballed the medley scores a touch based on memory.

All three would have been 0.5 apart.

Bob - I in no way meant this as a slam against Strongman scoring - I was just curious as to how the two systems compare. I've done this both ways with different contest results lately trying to decide what method to use in my own contests. I don't want to start it all up again as we had a nice long discussion of it a while back. I just found it interesting how the results can vary with the different systems. If one is trying to predict the future GGC results, past results under the same scoring system seems like a good idea to have. I'll make my predictions after everyone gets signed up - not sure who all is even coming yet.

Chris, I took it all in the right spirit, I know you weren't being a jerk about it.

Bob - I in no way meant this as a slam against Strongman scoring - I was just curious as to how the two systems compare. I've done this both ways with different contest results lately trying to decide what method to use in my own contests. I don't want to start it all up again as we had a nice long discussion of it a while back. I just found it interesting how the results can vary with the different systems. If one is trying to predict the future GGC results, past results under the same scoring system seems like a good idea to have. I'll make my predictions after everyone gets signed up - not sure who all is even coming yet.

I am sending out weekly newsletters on new sign-ups and sponsors for GGC. If you are not getting them, make sure you sign up for our grip strength newsletter on our site.

Congrats Josh. I thought for sure I would have come out on top with Gripboard scoring, since I won or tied 3 events, but the huge distance I slipped back by in the hammers, I am sure, is what did me in.

I am sending out weekly newsletters on new sign-ups and sponsors for GGC. If you are not getting them, make sure you sign up for our grip strength newsletter on our site.

Congrats Josh. I thought for sure I would have come out on top with Gripboard scoring, since I won or tied 3 events, but the huge distance I slipped back by in the hammers, I am sure, is what did me in.

Jedd,

could you post here the updated list also?

Thanks Buddy

Jedder - have you determined what the different bending stock choices and the progression will be yet?

Thanks buddy. I'm with you, I would have thought you won too. We tied in grippers and vbar and you beat me on the medley and pinch so I guess I beat you by enough in the hammers to make up the difference. Just reinforces my belief that the events and scoring systems play a huge role in who comes out on top regarding that top tier group.

Thanks buddy. I'm with you, I would have thought you won too. We tied in grippers and vbar and you beat me on the medley and pinch so I guess I beat you by enough in the hammers to make up the difference. Just reinforces my belief that the events and scoring systems play a huge role in who comes out on top regarding that top tier group.

It's very possible that with the calibration numbers themselves on the grippers instead of just using the placement of the gripper in the order and the use of the exact points from the medley instead of placement that I would get a different result. I probably should have just not mentioned it now that I think about it - my goal wasn't to start a controversy but for my own information on scoring systems. Before I started it - I had figured Jedd in first as well. I do find the whole thing interesting though.

It's very possible that with the calibration numbers themselves on the grippers instead of just using the placement of the gripper in the order and the use of the exact points from the medley instead of placement that I would get a different result. I probably should have just not mentioned it now that I think about it - my goal wasn't to start a controversy but for my own information on scoring systems. Before I started it - I had figured Jedd in first as well. I do find the whole thing interesting though.

No controversy here, like you I just find it interesting. Regarding Jedd and myself; the grippers shouldn't matter since we both closed the same calibrated gripper. He got 4 medley points on me: 3 for the Inch vs my 0 and 3 on the blob vs. my 2. At BBB2 I won or got 2nd in every event but the scale weight and I ended up in 4th. The scoring systems play a huge role. I think Bob ran the Gripmas numbers with strongman and it changed the placings as well?

Chris-

I redid the top 3 results with gripper calibration numbers and medley points. Top three was how you had it, probably about .5 points apart.

Calibration: Jedd+Josh~160, Dave~140

Medley points: Jedd 53, Dave 51, Josh 49

And hell no, no controversey from my point of view Chris.

I would like to add that if the Euro method becomes a universally accepted standard, I am open to change. I am not emotionally invested in the strongman scoring.

Chris-

I redid the top 3 results with gripper calibration numbers and medley points. Top three was how you had it, probably about .5 points apart.

I would like to add that if the Euro method becomes a universally accepted standard, I am open to change. I am not emotionally invested in the strongman scoring.

This may have been said already...What scoring system is being used at GGC?

Chris-

This may have been said already...What scoring system is being used at GGC?

I'm not sure what to actually call it any more but it's like we used at Gripmas I'm pretty sure. By the way - do you want a copy of the Excel program that my son made up for Gripmas Jedd? It's a percentage based program but I'm not sure where Jedd is putting the decimal point in his system. I can have Josh change all the event titles and insert the names etc for you if you want. Just let me know.

No doubt about it - scoring systems, as we have discussed, make a huge difference. You get the win with the Gripboard base-10 scoring system because it rewards the athlete for his performance by giving him the edge when he dominates the other guys in the field. We will be using the base ten scoring system at GGC this year.

These are the people who are confirmed: Brent Barbe, Rex Hubbard, Chad Woodall, Jedd Johnson, Chris Rice, Bob Sundin.

Come on guys - get those entries sent in - I KNOW there are more people than this planning on coming to GGC!

Jedd, you should have received the check for Paul and me by now.

These are the people who are confirmed: Brent Barbe, Rex Hubbard, Chad Woodall, Jedd Johnson, Chris Rice, Bob Sundin.

Okay...I know Eric, Paul, Andrew, Eaton will be there...what about all the others that are qualified?

Come on guys...get signed up :rock :rock :rock

I will be sending my form and fee Monday!!!

I am getting the feeling I will be hiding over in the corner in shame most of the day in this field. Come on guys - this is going to be a great contest - THE US CHAMPIONSHIP - get signed up! This won't come around again for another year! I think some crazy hard stuff is going to get done here - you aren't going to want to miss it. Chalk will fly, handles will grind, Blobs will crash, Euro pinch will be crushed to dust, the medley will be sick - and if you want to be the Top Dog when it's over - you gotta sign up, show up, and git er done!

I am getting the feeling I will be hiding over in the corner in shame most of the day in this field. Come on guys - this is going to be a great contest - THE US CHAMPIONSHIP - get signed up! This won't come around again for another year! I think some crazy hard stuff is going to get done here - you aren't going to want to miss it. Chalk will fly, handles will grind, Blobs will crash, Euro pinch will be crushed to dust, the medley will be sick - and if you want to be the Top Dog when it's over - you gotta sign up, show up, and git er done!

Chris is a straight shooter...and he has been around for a few years :kiss Listen to the wise one when he speaks :rock Just 4 weeks to go fellas...train hard and hit a lot of PR's :rock

See ya in a few

Chad

Edited by Too Tall