Us Championship 08

Bob Lipinski

This will be a good, good year. Jedd, Chad, and Durnait- Anyone else in the running to win it?

Andrew's downfall might be grippers, though with the GGC selection he might not be too far behind Jedd. Chad will win here easily.

Pinch- Andrew again is an unknown. Jedd and Chad have been neck and neck.

Axle- Durnait! Then Woodall, then Jedd.

Reverse Bending- Jedd. Unless Chad has been sandbagging, and lulled us into complacency with a retirement story.

Medley- Chad is the favorite, but really, with how Jedd did in MI, the gap is close.

I'll be rooting for Jedd just so Chad has somebody to push him! I think Jedd has a fighting chance, he just has to beat Chad in the pinch, keep his reverse advantage, and ace the medley. We'll see about Andrew, I'll have a chance to judge him better in a few weeks.

Eaton and Barbe will also be fun to watch.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• Too Tall

• Jedd Johnson

• Bob Lipinski

The Chad! :rock

Grippers: Tie; I think Jedd and Chad will both MMS a 3.5 but neither will CCS a 3.5. The limited selection pretty much screws the good gripper guys so this will hardly be an easy win for Chad if a win at all.

Pinch: A toss up here, could go Chad or Jedd

Axle: I'm calling the upset in that Chad will outpull Andrew. He's got bigger hands and with his recent bout of strongman training I bet his dl is through the roof

Reverse:Bending: Jedd all the way especially if he uses his Gripmas style (which I think is PERFECTLY legal).

Medley: Another toss up after Jedd's performance at MGC.

looking forward to seeing the results!

As was alluded to by Bob and Josh, we will all be in a better position to make predictions after LCQ. Andrew will be put through the gambit ;) He's got them big hands, a tad larger than Thornton's if I remember right.

Grippers- I see Andrew doing better than expected here, but Jedd and Chad will do better, possibly with Chad edging out the win.

Pinch- Man, this one is tough. I think Jedd will take this one, Chad wont be far behind. I don't think Andrew will beat Jedd, Chad, Eaton or Rice but I do think he'll get a near BW pull. At 215ish or less that has to put him up there.

Axle- Andrew by a mile. I remember Chad's 425 at BBB3 along with Jedd's 405 attempts. I think it's safe to say that Andrew will beat the next guy by 10lbs.

Bending- Jedd, however, Chad slapped us in the face at BBB3 with his bending so...

Medley- I'm saying Chad, mostly because I want to motivate Jedd ;) He's got them huge fraggen hands which count for quite a lot on odd items. I might have something that stops the bighanded guys, though. So if I qualify, hopefully I'll at least slow big guys down.

I see a top 10 placing for Andrew, but I think Jedd will edge out the win overall :)

Hopefully I'm underestimating A LOT of people ;)

If it was a SEXY contest Eaton would win!!! HAHAH

Or a hand massage contest.

HAHA!! This is true! John touched my hand once... Now I have the power!! HAHA

HAHA!! This is true! John touched my hand once... Now I have the power!! HAHA

I have been able to levitate ever since the infamous hand massage in the morning incident. It's true.

This will be a good, good year. Jedd, Chad, and Durnait- Anyone else in the running to win it?

I think Josh will have a great shot at top 5 or higher.

Andrew's downfall might be grippers, though with the GGC selection he might not be too far behind Jedd. Chad will win here easily.

I think Chad might be pushed by another very strong gripper guy. His name rhymes with Josh.

Pinch- Andrew again is an unknown. Jedd and Chad have been neck and neck.

Looking forward to seeing what monstrous weight rises in the 2HP!

Axle- Durnait! Then Woodall, then Jedd.

Reverse Bending- Jedd. Unless Chad has been sandbagging, and lulled us into complacency with a retirement story.

My guess exactly!

Medley- Chad is the favorite, but really, with how Jedd did in MI, the gap is close.

This will be a barnstormer.

I'll be rooting for Jedd just so Chad has somebody to push him! I think Jedd has a fighting chance, he just has to beat Chad in the pinch, keep his reverse advantage, and ace the medley. We'll see about Andrew, I'll have a chance to judge him better in a few weeks.

Eaton and Barbe will also be fun to watch.

Eaton and Barbe are always fun to watch...I think this is Josh's year to shine. John can do the same when he's on. Hell, even when he's "off" he can demolish most top 10 guys, including me.

I'm sorry to hear that the limited selection of grippers will screw people. If I remember correctly, the 3.5 isn't that tough in this collection of grippers, and it might be a good way for people to tie Chad and save some points. Remember, first place gets ten points in the event whether one person gets it or 5.

I see Chad's, Andrew's and my name thrown around a lot, but you can't count Josh and Thornton in these events. I was tickled to tie Josh at Michigan in grippers - I know he can close this 3.5 MMS if he comes. There's 10 points right there. Thornton's no slouch at MMS either.

I'd love to see Klein come as well. He put the effort in to earn his spot. It's a shame that he has gotten his focus messed up. A National Championship means less when not all the top guys are there, which also includes Aaron, who also can close this 3.5.

In my opinion, the event win will come down to the v-bar and axle. With our scoring system, pulling away in an event is going to yield a major advantage.

Looking forward to it guys!

In my opinion, the event win will come down to the v-bar and axle. With our scoring system, pulling away in an event is going to yield a major advantage.

I didn't realize that V Bar was one of the 5 events :unsure 2" or 1" ??? Reps or Max weight???

Thanks,

Chad

Edited by Too Tall

I think that the way the medley is set up and the short time limit are going to be very interesting. Depending on how many people we have it might come down to who is the fastest, not the strongest. I'm exciting to see what everyone brings.

Brent

I'm sorry to hear that the limited selection of grippers will screw people. If I remember correctly, the 3.5 isn't that tough in this collection of grippers, and it might be a good way for people to tie Chad and save some points. Remember, first place gets ten points in the event whether one person gets it or 5.

I see Chad's, Andrew's and my name thrown around a lot, but you can't count Josh and Thornton in these events. I was tickled to tie Josh at Michigan in grippers - I know he can close this 3.5 MMS if he comes. There's 10 points right there. Thornton's no slouch at MMS either.

I'd love to see Klein come as well. He put the effort in to earn his spot. It's a shame that he has gotten his focus messed up. A National Championship means less when not all the top guys are there, which also includes Aaron, who also can close this 3.5.

I agree but Chad is capable of a lot more than a 3.5 and with the limited selection he's not gonna win the event but just tie with the others, which is why I said it 'screws' the good gripper guys. This is one of his best events and I doubt he'll be able to capitalize on it due to the selection of grippers. I don't think any of the top guys are worried about MMS a 3.5, it's the fact that there is nothing between that and the #4 that poses the problem. It's like having the 2HP with 220# and then the next weight is 270. There's some guys in between.

As for me, thanks for the kind words but unless gas prices drop by about 50% I won't be there.

Jedd,

give the 2 time Champ some love and throw a Hard SE in there or something of that nature :fear Come on dude...be a buddy ole pal :inno

Jedd,

give the 2 time Champ some love and throw a Hard SE in there or something of that nature :fear Come on dude...be a buddy ole pal :inno

You better specify a poundage Chad because Eaton and I have "hard" SE's that you'd want no part of :D

Jedd,

You better specify a poundage Chad because Eaton and I have "hard" SE's that you'd want no part of :D

I hear ya :rock

As for me, thanks for the kind words but unless gas prices drop by about 50% I won't be there.

Dang it Josh. Sorry about that man! I have been on the board WAY too much the past few weeks...I had two different windows pulled up and I thought I was responding to the BBB thread. Kept wondering why nobody was even acting like you were going to be there. :blush

I didn't realize that V Bar was one of the 5 events :unsure 2" or 1" ??? Reps or Max weight???

Thanks,

Chad

Made a mistake. No v-bar. I was originally going to put it in but wanted to do the medley instead and I just haven't gotten it out of my head. Sorry about that.

Is the contest 3.5 Eaton's "easy 3.5" that was at Gripmas?

No way dude. That 3.5 was pathetic.

Wish I could make it Jedd, but its not in the cards this year. The finger injury and loss of job earlier in the year clinched it. I'm just doing contract IT work now so still no long term financial stability yet to justify the huge cost of coming out to the east coast.

Maybe next year,

Aaron

Wish I could make it Jedd, but its not in the cards this year. The finger injury and loss of job earlier in the year clinched it. I'm just doing contract IT work now so still no long term financial stability yet to justify the huge cost of coming out to the east coast.

Maybe next year,

Aaron

Sorry to hear that man. I wish you the best in getting back on your feet and getting healed up. Next year for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

My prediction - I will beat everyone who doesn't come to the contest. Otherwise I expect to receive a sound drubbing! I'm glad Chad is back - I really enjoyed the Chad, Jedd, Dave T and JAD wars of the past and am looking forward to seeing how some of the new up and comers will do this time around. Just a little food for thought as you all try to predict things - I used the Gripmas scoring system on the MGC results - it certainly changed a few things around a bit!

My prediction - I will beat everyone who doesn't come to the contest. Otherwise I expect to receive a sound drubbing! I'm glad Chad is back - I really enjoyed the Chad, Jedd, Dave T and JAD wars of the past and am looking forward to seeing how some of the new up and comers will do this time around. Just a little food for thought as you all try to predict things - I used the Gripmas scoring system on the MGC results - it certainly changed a few things around a bit!

Cha. If Andrew gets up and pulls 460+ on the axle and everyone else, besides Chad, manages 400 or less, Gripmas scoring will give Andrew a monumental boost over the rest of the competition. Just another condiment to add to Chris's food for thought ;)