What Is Considered A Proper Lever?

popeye76

They could likely do alot. I would not be suprised if Jedd could do 16 without any special pad.

I will try to get a good video my next hard workout. I know I can do the 9 easy, but I'd like to get the 10.5 or 12.

The pad does make the feat alot different, I get what you are saying Tim. He puts a little body into it, but not alot. It is tough to draw a line there, which I think is much to the benefit of the "inner circle" crowd, who could easily claim that the pad was too high, too much momentum was used, the particular wrist wraps were too supportive, etc. especially because there isn't any objective criteria to support or refute that position.

With the stuff from the floor, Slim is by far the strongest ever, but seeing Jedd almost get 20 pounds (and Sean Rice succeed), his numbers are more in reach.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jad

• Tim71

• Bob Lipinski

• MalachiMcMullen

Something to keep in mind which hit me over the head like club and I couldn't believe that I didn't realize before; Slim isn't out there in his shows trying to set PRs. Those are weights he can comfortably do. He's a showman and the stuff he does in his shows is stuff he knows he can do AND can do after many other feats/endurance factor of performing a show. I'm hardly one of the "inner circle" but just keep in mind, if you see Slim lever a 20 to his face in some show, you can be darn sure his training lifts well exceed that.

I've seen several of us (me, Nick, Stew, Sean R, Eaton, maybe more) do a 12# from a flat floor and Sean (my son) got a 16 one time but hasn't been able to since when I've tried to catch it on video. That's with no pad - just on a flat rubber mat. I've seen Sean Rice do a triple Slim style with a 20 but I admit he used a good sized pad like you can see in the Michigan video (a rolled up towel) - you certainly get a lever effect this way.

Lifting one while holding it level is way extreme - my hats off to Wes and Rex - I bet those boys can do a mean Weaver Stick.

As far as levering to the face - besides Slim, the best I have ever seen was John Wood - he's pretty out there compared to the rest of us - I haven't seen anyone yet I think can play with him. Slim is simply not human - as Josh says - I doubt anyone has ever actually seen his best lifts - probably done in training years ago when he was younger - wouldn't you like to have been a fly on the wall then?

That is very interesting and those lifts are very impressive from a hard floor. I know it is hard to draw a line with the padding, but for me at least I would like it to be more strict. Again I am not trying to say anyone having done it with some lever is somehow not valid, I just feel it is more in keeping with the spirit of the feat if you will. And the fact that these guys like Sean Rice are obviously capable of some serious weight in a strict fashion like you say Climber makes it reasonable to perform it in that manner.

I agree about Slim's performance vs training lifts. I sure would have liked to be a fly on the wall as you say. The major thing about Slim, I don't think it really has anything to do with this inner circle idea as you say Bob really at all. He was performing and most importantly planning his feats and performances long before any of that. No one was doing what he was doing so then, in fact we are probably only doing it now because of him, so the form of the lift was not so important as long as it looked good. And most normal people are not gonna question the padding and strictness of a feat like this. I think things would be very different if Slim was born later and interesting in competing and talking in a forum like this as we are. Then again maybe he wouldn't have been busting stones with a sledge hammer all day long if he was born later.

To add to what Tim said, as far as I'm concerned Slim's lifts are the standards. To clarify, whether we think our "rules" make it harder or easier than his stuff, the way he did it is the standard if you wanna be the best. There are many different ways to lever and many different opinions on what is right but if you want to challenge him for the title, you need to do it his way. He put sledge levering on the map so us telling him he didn't by the rules is pretty silly.

To add to what Tim said, as far as I'm concerned Slim's lifts are the standards. To clarify, whether we think our "rules" make it harder or easier than his stuff, the way he did it is the standard if you wanna be the best. There are many different ways to lever and many different opinions on what is right but if you want to challenge him for the title, you need to do it his way. He put sledge levering on the map so us telling him he didn't by the rules is pretty silly.

:rock :rock :rock

Other than maybe throwing the thing for distance - I'd still put my money on Slim in any sledge event even today in his seventies - and you can pick the rules. As you all know from listening to me I'm a big one for rules but as Josh pointed out - Slim sort of invented levering as far as most of us are concerned so until we can duplicate what he has done (and can do still) - I'm content to just make my feeble copycat attempts and hope ole Slim doesn't laugh at me too hard.

Slim is absolutely unreal at this stuff. I'm certainly not in the inner circle either but the thing with Slim, is I think the circle kinda searched him out and not the other way around.

I read once that Bill Kazmaier and another WSM competitor were doing 22 pounders from the floor as a personal challenge. I believe the other guy was the one who died who beat Kaz in late 80s or early 90s. That's one of the best poundages I've heard of besides Slim of course.

I know Slim used to do that sharp ax to the face too and I think it was something like 24 pounds or so. He's do it in a show and flip it around to his other hand and do it with that one. Any records are made to be broken but Slim's are gonna be TOUGH, even with somebody on their game.

You know he hasn't always used much padding when a man breaks his own fingers from extreme leveraging :whacked .

I'd hated to get on his bad side. With those long arms and ham-sized fists...... whew!

Tim

I'd hated to get on his bad side. With those long arms and ham-sized fists...... whew!

Haha, not to mention he bent 5/8" rebar across the bridge of his nose for years, I bet he can take a punch too. Also I can't imagine the kinda iron your whole body would be made of breaking rocks with a sledge hammer everyday for years.

Tim

I heard a hilarious story somewhat related to this. If the gripster who told me sees this post maybe he'll post it.

I'm sure Slim is TOUGH all around. If you notice too in the Slim DVD, you can see a trophy that appears to be a martial arts trophy of some sort in one of the shots. I bet he'd be super-tough anyway, but add that to the mix and yikes!

Kinda reminds me of how Clint Eastwood was built in his prime only better. Anybody see those Philo Beddo movies with the ape? That's probably about how slim would be if multiple guys jumped him.

Somebody else, Brookfield maybe, stated that if Slim had ever used grippers he's have been awesome because he had a naturally freaky grip.

Can you immagine some cocky young jock just seeing an "old" man in a car and pulling him over to whip his butt? It would be a rude awakening to say the least. Of course a guy like Slim has nothing to prove so he'd probably give you every opportunity to be on your way with the correct volume of blood still in your veins.

Tim

Oh heck yeah, I agree Slim is above and beyond the best. You bring up one good thing Josh- Not much straining in his show lifts.

My inner circle comment is sort of a side comment- I think that no matter even if someone duplicates slim's lifts, there will be a segment of people that will claim some reason why they aren't valid. Due to the lack of a standard, and again this isn't Slim's fault he was a showman and not a competitor, it is easier to say "hey that's not how he did it".

And like someone mentioned, no indictment of Slim was indended. He does what he has done, and isn't involved in our little internet circle.

Edited by Bob Lipinski

Oh heck yeah, I agree Slim is above and beyond the best. You bring up one good thing Josh- Not much straining in his show lifts.

My inner circle comment is sort of a side comment- I think that no matter even if someone duplicates slim's lifts, there will be a segment of people that will claim some reason why they aren't valid. Due to the lack of a standard, and again this isn't Slim's fault he was a showman and not a competitor, it is easier to say "hey that's not how he did it".

And like someone mentioned, no indictment of Slim was indended. He does what he has done, and isn't involved in our little internet circle.

Agree with that 100%

Also agreed. It's like a showman bending steel. It's easy to not be surpassed when nobody knows your best bends.

Tim

I have a picture on my wall of Slim doing a 69.5# double sledge from the floor. So I know he's done that much.

I have a picture on my wall of Slim doing a 69.5# double sledge from the floor. So I know he's done that much.

That's just insane! Even if my wrists were that strong my feet would probably just dangle off the ground.

Tim

Allright, I played around a little:

10.5 from the floor, no padding. 12 went up like 60 degrees or so, very doable but I was in a hurry.

22 standing, about as strict as I think I can make it.

Also-

I am interested in trying the double hammer from the floor. To the face, it is quite a bit easier than a single lever, especially holding it in place. You can lock your arms up against your pecs and brace really well. I think in the double hammer from the floor you might be able to put a little more body oomph into it.

I played around with 34 pounds, of course choked way the hell up. It felt pretty heavy.

Bob my double hammer Slim lever from the floor at Gripmas was 29# (that's off a pad). Many people did it. My best with that same setup is 34# so it is doable with a pad at least - I'm sure I can do more and Sean and Jedd etc I bet with practice can go 40# or perhaps better. Without the pad it's going to be much much harder!

Bob,

Those are seriously impressive levers! I would knock myself cold with that #22.

Great job!

Tim