What Is Considered A Proper Lever?

popeye76

i read in a post that bob l. and josh dale are tied with a 23.75lb lever, which is totally awesome. is that with the arm straight out and levered to the nose or forehead, or what? there are a few different types of levers, i just was wanting to know which type they do in grip contests. can anybody post a pic of a lever, i would appreciate it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jad

• Tim71

• Bob Lipinski

• MalachiMcMullen

That form looks good to me Jul54. Where are you measuring the length from? I asked Bob Lipinski about this and the standard length measurement was bottom of the palm being 31" from sledge(in otherwards don't include the sledge itself in the measurements.

That form looks good to me Jul54.

cool!

Where are you measuring the length from? I asked Bob Lipinski about this and the standard length measurement was bottom of the palm being 31" from sledge(in otherwards don't include the sledge itself in the measurements.

like you can see on this pic & in the description:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7560

the handle is 36" long & entire hammer 38.5". my pinky is just 0.5" from the end of the handle so 35.5".

I tried too with pinky on 31" like Bob said (rather 31.5" because it's 80cm for us) & of course it's a little bit easier

thanks magnus, thats a big help.

i read in a post that bob l. and josh dale are tied with a 23.75lb lever, which is totally awesome. is that with the arm straight out and levered to the nose or forehead, or what? there are a few different types of levers, i just was wanting to know which type they do in grip contests. can anybody post a pic of a lever, i would appreciate it.

Here's the actual video of Josh's 23.75lb lever. I didn't catch Bob's but I wish I had.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l8o_p2k3Dk

Just wondering - after watching these vids and some others, how far down is considered a proper lever? Should the hammer head just come to the forehead regardless of handle angle or should the hand end be higher to enable the sledge handle to be parallel to the ground?

Obviously lowering until the handle is parallel to the ground is more difficult. The pics of Slim that I have seen have him levering the hammers to a point where the handles are parallel to the ground.

Just wondering - after watching these vids and some others, how far down is considered a proper lever? Should the hammer head just come to the forehead regardless of handle angle or should the hand end be higher to enable the sledge handle to be parallel to the ground?

Obviously lowering until the handle is parallel to the ground is more difficult. The pics of Slim that I have seen have him levering the hammers to a point where the handles are parallel to the ground.

Depends what contest you're in and what the rules are. While Slim is no doubt the undisputed King of Levering, I'd be curious to see what the angle is between the sledge and his forearm on his parallel levers because he bends his arm(s) quite a bit when doing a to the face/parallel type lever. To clarify, from the pictures I've seen, his forearm and the sledge aren't even close to parallel to one another. I doubt the angle is much more/less than the arm-parallel-on-blocks-and- lower-to-your-head type lever many of the contests are doing.

Depends what contest you're in and what the rules are. While Slim is no doubt the undisputed King of Levering, I'd be curious to see what the angle is between the sledge and his forearm on his parallel levers because he bends his arm(s) quite a bit when doing a to the face/parallel type lever. To clarify, from the pictures I've seen, his forearm and the sledge aren't even close to parallel to one another. I doubt the angle is much more/less than the arm-parallel-on-blocks-and- lower-to-your-head type lever many of the contests are doing.

Good point. But nevertheless - besides the angle between the forearm and the sledge handle - the closer to parallel-to-the-floor the handle is, the further away the hammer head is going to be from the hand regardless of forearm/handle angles and the greater the torque at the hand.

But yeah, like you say, the greater the wrist deviation the harder the lever as well.

I guess that makes two main factors (apart from sledge weight) that contribute to the difficulty of a lever attempt.

I am no iron history expert, but the most weight I have seen mentioned in the context of Slim levering parallel to the ground is 17 or so. His heavy attempts were no where near parallel.

I am no iron history expert, but the most weight I have seen mentioned in the context of Slim levering parallel to the ground is 17 or so. His heavy attempts were no where near parallel.

About Slim's levering I stand corrected - thanks Bob - I just went and revisited the pics of Slim that I could find - only two of them are of him levering the hammers to parallel to the ground, with one of these pics indicating 17lb. On the other pic the sledge weights were unspecified. But yes, plenty more pics of Slim levering much bigger weights to nowhere near the parallel to ground level.

didnt slim pick up a 26 pound sledge hammer off the floor. then went on to touch his forehead with it in a strict fashion. i usually practise , will used to practise picking up sledge off the floor. very hard, got up to 9 pounds. then i started curls with a 18.9 litre jug filled wit water. still havent dont with full of water yet. up to three quarters, but very stict fashion. anyway. i dont like people saying levering, when all the do is just touch there forehead with a 20 pound hammer. pick it up off the floor first.

Good point. But nevertheless - besides the angle between the forearm and the sledge handle - the closer to parallel-to-the-floor the handle is, the further away the hammer head is going to be from the hand regardless of forearm/handle angles and the greater the torque at the hand.

But yeah, like you say, the greater the wrist deviation the harder the lever as well.

I guess that makes two main factors (apart from sledge weight) that contribute to the difficulty of a lever attempt.

You lost me on this part?? The hammer head is always the same distance from the hand because the length of the handle doesn't change. As far as it trying to peel your fingers; it would depend on how much you bend your arm. When the end of the sledge gets higher than the head, it takes a ton of stress off the fingers. Maybe I misunderstood you?

Kelby-

Slim picks up the hammer in a very specialized fashion. I'm not saying 26 is easy by many means, but 20 is in the reach of most strong guys with little practice, if done in the Slim fashion. 12 would be pretty average, and 16 only a little above average.

Also, most people here who are into sledge levering are VERY specific in the fashion in which they perform their levers.

You lost me on this part?? The hammer head is always the same distance from the hand because the length of the handle doesn't change. As far as it trying to peel your fingers; it would depend on how much you bend your arm. When the end of the sledge gets higher than the head, it takes a ton of stress off the fingers. Maybe I misunderstood you?

The hammer head is always the same distance from the hand but not in the horizontal vector.

- yeah sorry I meant that the closer to parallel-to-the-floor the handle is, the greater the horizontal distance will be between the hand and the hammer head. For example, when the handle is perpendicular to the floor ie. pointing straight up, there is no torque (at the hand) at all as the horizontal distance between the hand and head is zero - and in line with gravitational pull. When the handle is parallel to the floor the horizontal distance is as far as it can be, that is, the length of the handle and the torque at the hand and hence, difficulty, is greatest in this position.

Of course, this is quite apart from your very valid point about handle-to-elbow angle.

Edited by thearm95

Kelby-

Slim picks up the hammer in a very specialized fashion. I'm not saying 26 is easy by many means, but 20 is in the reach of most strong guys with little practice, if done in the Slim fashion. 12 would be pretty average, and 16 only a little above average.

Also, most people here who are into sledge levering are VERY specific in the fashion in which they perform their levers.

i would lilke to see most people pick up a 12 pounder off the ground. not the touching to the forehead bs. i can do 20 in that manner. show me clips of someone pick ups a 12 pounder off the floow. even cur it. bob can you do it in that manner, and if so, please post a clip. i had tried with me and my 9 pound hammer. never worked though

even levering a steel chair is hard. when you grab a leg from the front end.

i remember reading g. jowett book. he said if you can pick up a weight with 5 pounds on the end of a broom stick you have strong wrist, or 9 pound sledge in same manner.

Kelby-

i would lilke to see most people pick up a 12 pounder off the ground. not the touching to the forehead bs. i can do 20 in that manner. show me clips of someone pick ups a 12 pounder off the floow. even cur it. bob can you do it in that manner, and if so, please post a clip. i had tried with me and my 9 pound hammer. never worked though

even levering a steel chair is hard. when you grab a leg from the front end.

Are you able to post a vid of your 20lb lever to the forehead. IMO that's a great lever!

i will try, thats just when you hold it out in front of you and touch your forehead. not to pick up from floor. people seem to doubt me all the time, dont know why. watch the clip of me swinging the 50 pound sledge hammer. people doubted me that too.

i will try, thats just when you hold it out in front of you and touch your forehead. not to pick up from floor. people seem to doubt me all the time, dont know why. watch the clip of me swinging the 50 pound sledge hammer. people doubted me that too.

This "picking it up off the floor business," is it this

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7495

or more like this(except off the floor and without the curl up)

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=3007

I have done a fiberglassed handled 10er on hard level grass with no padding in the first manner. I got the 12 up halfway(right to the hard part) and failed. I did an 8lb deadlift as in the second vid. Had to brag. :blush

Anyways, if you have been working with sledges like a true Slim fan for the past few years, a 20 should certainly be in the cards for you then. Bear in mind, however, that simply saying you can lever a 20 to your face is like coming on here saying you can close a 3.5 without someone on here knowing you or having met you :) I'm not doubting you, just stating a fact. A 20lb slim lever, off the floor like the vid above is a GREAT lever as well though!!!

Kelby,

Some of us enjoy the "lever to the face bs". Good for you that you can do 20, not many people can.

Please reread my post. Slim does not deadlift the 26 pound hammer, he lifts it in a very special fashion. I can do 16 slim's way, I can't even deadlift an 8.