• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jad

• Tim71

• Bob Lipinski

• MalachiMcMullen

i will try, thats just when you hold it out in front of you and touch your forehead. not to pick up from floor. people seem to doubt me all the time, dont know why. watch the clip of me swinging the 50 pound sledge hammer. people doubted me that too.

yes the second clip, where you pick the sledge off the table. i do it from the floor and had done 9 pounds in that fashion. but, tried it last week i failed. not worried about it though. right now i am working on curling 19 litres of water for few reps in strict fashion. using the water jug.

that is what i call front lever, what you did. wonder if people can pick up sixteen pounds in that fashion.

• 2 weeks later...
i remember reading g. jowett book. he said if you can pick up a weight with 5 pounds on the end of a broom stick you have strong wrist, or 9 pound sledge in same manner.

For what it's worth, the handle parallel to the ground is way harder. here is a vid of me doing a 10 pounder. I'll put up one with a 12 soon.

It all depends on how you want to do it. I like it the harder way.

i will try, thats just when you hold it out in front of you and touch your forehead. not to pick up from floor. people seem to doubt me all the time, dont know why. watch the clip of me swinging the 50 pound sledge hammer. people doubted me that too.

This "picking it up off the floor business," is it this

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=7495

or more like this(except off the floor and without the curl up)

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=3007

I have done a fiberglassed handled 10er on hard level grass with no padding in the first manner. I got the 12 up halfway(right to the hard part) and failed. I did an 8lb deadlift as in the second vid. Had to brag. :blush

Anyways, if you have been working with sledges like a true Slim fan for the past few years, a 20 should certainly be in the cards for you then. Bear in mind, however, that simply saying you can lever a 20 to your face is like coming on here saying you can close a 3.5 without someone on here knowing you or having met you :) I'm not doubting you, just stating a fact. A 20lb slim lever, off the floor like the vid above is a GREAT lever as well though!!!

Wow, I had triceps back then; knew I'd been forgetting something at the gym here lately :D

I have read that Wes deadlifted a 12lb hammer from the floor. Unless I'm mistaken, it was a deadlift from the floor, keeping the sledge parallel to the ground at all times, not like Scott's video a couple of posts above. I wonder which is harder?

Just the thought of standing up straight, arm down by your side, holding a sledge parallel to the floor, is scary to me, so much strength needed!

Not saying Wes can't do it but I've never seen anyone even close to a 12 in that manner. MGC had a medley event where you had to lift an 8 in that manner and keep it parallel enough to keep the quarter from coming off. I think the top 4 or 5 all got the 8 but nobody looked like they were ready for 4 more pounds of sledge. I'm sure Slim has/could still do it but of the current guys...not that I've seen.

I have read that Wes deadlifted a 12lb hammer from the floor. Unless I'm mistaken, it was a deadlift from the floor, keeping the sledge parallel to the ground at all times, not like Scott's video a couple of posts above. I wonder which is harder?

Just the thought of standing up straight, arm down by your side, holding a sledge parallel to the floor, is scary to me, so much strength needed!

Dead lifting a 12 lb. hammer to the front I have not seen. dead lifting it to your back I have seen and can do. As far as the front lift goes I have not seen anything better than an eight pounder. To answer your question of which is harder, It would be the dead lift by far. Levering it up from the floor Slim style is hard but what I'm trying to get guys to do is lever it from the floor without the use of a fulcrim point. Just put it flat on the ground and lever it up with nothing more than hand on the ground and then once the hammer is up, take it to full horizontal over your head. If you can get a 12 pounder in this manner, that is 384 torque pounds on your wrist with a 32 inch handle. Levering a hammer of this weight and in this manner would be a #3 of levering in my book. It is such a big difference than using a fulcrim point to push the hammer down where it just pops up. Regardless, everyone levering hammers should take the handle all the way to horizontal over your head with your arn locked out, not bent! Just my thoughts!

Not saying Wes can't do it but I've never seen anyone even close to a 12 in that manner. MGC had a medley event where you had to lift an 8 in that manner and keep it parallel enough to keep the quarter from coming off. I think the top 4 or 5 all got the 8 but nobody looked like they were ready for 4 more pounds of sledge. I'm sure Slim has/could still do it but of the current guys...not that I've seen.

I watched Rex do a 12 with his hand a couple inches from the end of the handle like that. It blew my mind.

- Aaron

I don't know though. At MGC6 I remember specifically Dave and Jedd holding that 8 pretty solidly at parallel and I wouldn't put a 10er past them. I bet they could perform a 10lb front lever deadlift right now with the quarter on the head that looks like my 8lb lever did.

But yeah, the 12 is possible for people right now. The 16 is WAY off for even the best of the Gripboard in that manner.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

I've only toyed with sledges but a couple things I've noticed. #1, I think the shape of the human hand lends itself much better to parallel lifting to the rear (off the floor I mean). Is this what we're calling a deadlift? Doing that to the front to me is extremely hard.

That video of Sean Rice doing the 20 pounder is awesome! I would bust my teeth out on that hammer. I will say though it to me looks different than how Slim lifts his hammers. Slim's forearm is almost parallel to the ground when he starts and looks like he's using more of a wrist torque method. I'm no expert though.

I know Slim hasn't competed but at least he has let others try his hammer and his 12 lb challenge hammer has stopped the vast majority and he plays with that hammer.

Slim has got to have the best hands on the planet for levering. It would be a tough challenge for anybody to top his best lifts much less somebody with smaller hands than he has.

You'd think Slim would comment on some of these competitions since they've become increasingly popular. I wonder what he thinks of some of these styles? Be interesting to hear his comments.

Tim

Just watched the vid of Josh doing that lever off the table and that was great! Set it back down too so smoothly. Did I miss the weight somewhere?

Looked tough.

Tim

Just watched the vid of Josh doing that lever off the table and that was great! Set it back down too so smoothly. Did I miss the weight somewhere?

Looked tough.

Tim

I believe that was an 8.

I don't know though. At MGC6 I remember specifically Dave and Jedd holding that 8 pretty solidly at parallel and I wouldn't put a 10er past them. I bet they could perform a 10lb front lever deadlift right now with the quarter on the head that looks like my 8lb lever did.

But yeah, the 12 is possible for people right now. The 16 is WAY off for even the best of the Gripboard in that manner.

An 8 to a 10 is a big jump and another 2 for the 12 is huge. Something else to consider is parallel vs keeping a quarter are two different things. You've actually got quite a bit of wiggle room with a quarter vs. keeping it parallel the entire time. I don't remember about Dave but Jedd, myself, and Eaton were all trying to keep the 8 parallel and Eaton did it the best. We could all do it, but I can tell you I certainly couldn't have kept a 10 parallel. I can't speak for Jedd but IMO he didn't look dominant enough at that given moment to move up to a 10 but who knows.. Again, I'm talking parallel the whole time vs. the quarter. At the next MGC I think you'll see 3-4 guys front lever the 12 and keep the quarter on but I'll be surprised if anyone can keep it perfectly parallel; liftoff to completion.

An 8 to a 10 is a big jump and another 2 for the 12 is huge. Something else to consider is parallel vs keeping a quarter are two different things. You've actually got quite a bit of wiggle room with a quarter vs. keeping it parallel the entire time. I don't remember about Dave but Jedd, myself, and Eaton were all trying to keep the 8 parallel and Eaton did it the best. We could all do it, but I can tell you I certainly couldn't have kept a 10 parallel. I can't speak for Jedd but IMO he didn't look dominant enough at that given moment to move up to a 10 but who knows.. Again, I'm talking parallel the whole time vs. the quarter. At the next MGC I think you'll see 3-4 guys front lever the 12 and keep the quarter on but I'll be surprised if anyone can keep it perfectly parallel; liftoff to completion.

100% agree. That's why I said they'd have a solid shot at making a 10 front lever look like my 8lb lever from the comp. I literally lifted the thing with the maximum possible tilt before the quarter fell off. But the quarter stayed on until the top and if I can do an 8, the big guys have to be capable of a 10 in at least the same manner.

I watched Rex do a 12 with his hand a couple inches from the end of the handle like that. It blew my mind.

- Aaron

Was it parallel start to finish or the quarter version? Either way, hat's off to Rex :rock Thanks for the report.

- Aaron

Was it parallel start to finish or the quarter version? Either way, hat's off to Rex :rock Thanks for the report.

it was front DL from ground parallel start to finish. you could have had a quarter on the hammer head easy. After he did it he asked me, "Is that good?", I think I said I cant even do close to that after I got my speech back.

I think Wes did a front lever with the 12 at my house as well. maybe he can speak to that. I seem to remember him turning his wrist a bit which seemed to help him.

-Aaron

- Aaron

it was front DL from ground parallel start to finish. you could have had a quarter on the hammer head easy. After he did it he asked me, "Is that good?", I think I said I cant even do close to that after I got my speech back.

I think Wes did a front lever with the 12 at my house as well. maybe he can speak to that. I seem to remember him turning his wrist a bit which seemed to help him.

-Aaron

BUFF :bow:bow:bow

I have heard about Wes being able to do that. That is crazy if Rex can do it. I am not doubting it, Rex is a monster, but it sure would be cool as hell if you guys could get a video of it sometime when you are messing around.

Out of curiosity, not deadlifting, and not pulling off the ground. But how much can you guys do, starting from the top, hammer straight up and down, lowering to the ground and front levering back up using all wrist from this position?

http://www.dennisrogers.net/dynamicfiles/userpics/131.jpg

I have heard about Wes being able to do that. That is crazy if Rex can do it. I am not doubting it, Rex is a monster, but it sure would be cool as hell if you guys could get a video of it sometime when you are messing around.

Out of curiosity, not deadlifting, and not pulling off the ground. But how much can you guys do, starting from the top, hammer straight up and down, lowering to the ground and front levering back up using all wrist from this position?

http://www.dennisrogers.net/dynamicfiles/userpics/131.jpg

Well, if the wrist has to stay in the air, I can't do 28" 6er. If I can let my wrist AND elbow rest on a flat floor, I can get my 33" 6ers righty and nearly lefty.

Hey Tim, are you talking about levering it the same way that Slim does in that pic? Slim does let his hand rest on the floor and I've tried levering this way a few times and it's tough. I bet his 12 pound challenge hammer would be very safe in my hands and he absolutely toys with it.

Puts alot of pressure on your hand between the handle and ground.

Tim

There is lots of technique with the slim lever. Also, for Slim's heaviest levers, he uses a higher pad which gives some extra leverage. The ground surface will vary the lift a bit, any type of padding will make it easier.

Just tried now on the living room floor. 9 went without much trouble, 10.5 stalled but would likely go up if I was fresh.

That is bad ass Bob. I am not doubting you but it would be cool to see a video if you got some time to make one of it. Your strict levers are some of my favorite to watch.

Tim, I was thinking like Slim does it, but going all the way down which I'm not sure if he does or not. I'm sure he is capable of it though.

Zach I was meaning for this on the ground, like Slim is doing it in the pic, but I am also interested in strict front in the air to full range of motion. This is a much larger range and I find it the most challenging type of lever and that is how I train for it. I don't think I've really ever seen anyone else do it quite that way either.

I don't want to speculate too much about Slim's heavy stuff and technique and padding, but it does seem to me he keeps his weight and shoulder pretty far back away from the end of the hammer where he is levering it and uses mostly all wrist torque, maybe started with a bit of force prying against the padding but it seems minimal to me and more about giving a bit of space under the handle for his hand to not get crushed under the force as Tim pointed out. I really sort of wish that Slim had done this feat from straight up, down and back up while in the air to eliminate this pad technique aspect of the feat.

That is bad ass Bob. I am not doubting you but it would be cool to see a video if you got some time to make one of it. Your strict levers are some of my favorite to watch.

Tim, I was thinking like Slim does it, but going all the way down which I'm not sure if he does or not. I'm sure he is capable of it though.

Zach I was meaning for this on the ground, like Slim is doing it in the pic, but I am also interested in strict front in the air to full range of motion. This is a much larger range and I find it the most challenging type of lever and that is how I train for it. I don't think I've really ever seen anyone else do it quite that way either.

I don't want to speculate too much about Slim's heavy stuff and technique and padding, but it does seem to me he keeps his weight and shoulder pretty far back away from the end of the hammer where he is levering it and uses mostly all wrist torque, maybe started with a bit of force prying against the padding but it seems minimal to me and more about giving a bit of space under the handle for his hand to not get crushed under the force as Tim pointed out. I really sort of wish that Slim had done this feat from straight up, down and back up while in the air to eliminate this pad technique aspect of the feat.

In his video, Slim takes his 12 pound challenge hammer from the floor to perpendicular, then back down to halfway and holds it there and back up. Pretty mean stuff, at least to me. Dennis tries but can't do it but I've got to hand it to him, he does lever the 12 pounder, just doesn't play with it the way Slim does.

Tim

Yes I've seen it, it's on the bonus dvd. He brings it back down sloooow and holts it at like 30 degrees TWICE. Dennis lowers it to about 45 and it drops like a brick and Dennis just laughs. And I think it is safe to say Dennis is no slouch when it comes to wrist strength.

I am curious what guys like Rex and Wes that can deadlift 10+ lbs hammers could do in this style.

Edited by timiacobucci