Animal Roars Again !

AnimalCage

Nice work Alan :rock

thanks everyone! Its only been eight years :angry: I had witnesses, but I knew when it closed. I knew as I was setting it. My goal for this year, MM0, is now within reach. Closing the #3 consistently is where I want to be.

It seems unreal. Almost anticlimactic. And then I think "Who cares! I closed that sucker!"

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't closed the #3 again. A few extremely close misses.

Back at the gym while I can. October and November appear to be very busy work months, so I'll workout when I can. I'm trying a 20-rep program with all my exercises: Squats, Incline Bench, Deadlift, Bench, Shoulder Press, Dips, Pullups, and Preacher Curls. I started with the lowest weights possible, to learn form and see how far I can progress.

Basketball is always the cool-down. There's something peaceful and relaxing about it.

Edited by AnimalCage

Awesome work on the #3 close mate!........I too hope to conquer this bad boy by the end of the year :D

I quickly hit my 20-rep max on db shoulder presses and db preacher curls: 25 lbs. I will probably drop to half-max on those, and work my way up again, and continue that with any exercise that hits max until I have maxed on all exercises. I have also added four ab machines into the workout.

Hey animalcage.....if you don't mind mean asking....what exactly are you talking about when you say you "closed and held 343"........what is the 343, or what does it stand for?.....some kinda of gripper I'm guessing?

Thanks again....Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey animalcage.....if you don't mind mean asking....what exactly are you talking about when you say you "closed and held 343"........what is the 343, or what does it stand for?.....some kinda of gripper I'm guessing?

Thanks again....Steve.

Yes, it is a PDA gripper, about a 2.75.

Max leg press for fun tonight, 385 for 5 reps on leg press machine. (After workout with squats, deads, and an hour of basketball)

Been hitting the gym regularly. Still maxed on shoulder press and preacher curls at 25 lbs. The rest of the exercises are slowly increasing. I really feel the cardio on squats and deadlifts.

Closed the three again last night. I'm only good for one close.

• 9 years later...

Ten years ago since my last post here.  That's a long time in grip strength.  Life got the better of me, chasing too many squirrels.  Went through some health issues, gym has been inconsistent, and the grippers are heavily coated with basement dust.  Tried them a few days ago, can't close the #2.  Got 5 reps on the 1.5.  Have trouble ripping phone books too.  They just don't seem to want to go.  Oddly, I can still rip a deck of cards fairly easily.

So what brought me here today?  A friend gave me a deck of cards to rip.  I could barely tear a crease in the top.  Yeah, they were plastic coated.  I got pissed, and spent 20 minutes working on those.  Finally got through them.  Made me wonder what's still in the tank.  Ain't no better place than here for a fill up! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Viceversus said:

Awesome. Round 2!

Thanks, Vic!  Technically, though, its Round 3.  

Had to read through the six pages to refamiliarize myself with that part of my journey.  Its funny how people don't change.  That old habit I have of jumping in too hard and too fast...  luckily I didn't hurt myself last night with that deck of cards.  Then, of course, I had to start a workout program when I got home.

Trainer:

R - 10 reps, 10 sec straphold.    L - 10 reps, 10 sec straphold

Probably should ease into things.  Gonna abuse the Trainer for July, the #1 for August, the 1.5 for September, and hopefully by then I can dominate the #2 in October.  After that, the real training begins.

I did notice some tenderness in my left hand/arm yesterday.  I'm sure it was from the card ripping.  Gonna take it a little easier going in, see how things feel.  On the upside, came up with an idea for overcrushing during the close.  I love my straphold setup which I made many years ago with a metal ruler and a 2.5# plate.  Today, I tried overcrushing a stepbit (unibit).  Used the Trainer, right hand, with a 5-count overcrush on every step.  Fun little training device.

grippper step bit.jpg

straphold.jpg

• Like 1

Your memory is not your friend returning after a lay off. Don’t set up your sessions remembering what you used to do. You can come back stronger than ever before if you will return to being a beginner and building up. 

Start slow now to go fast later. Go fast now go no where soon 

Edited by AdamTGlass
Your not you’re
  • Like 5

That’s also a pinchers thumb!

6 hours ago, AdamTGlass said:

Your memory is not your friend returning after a lay off. Don’t set up your sessions remembering what you used to do. You can come back stronger than ever before if you will return to being a beginner and building up. 

Start slow now to go fast later. Go fast now go no where soon 

My memory thinks it was yesterday.  My muscles know its been ten years.  Knowing what I had accomplished makes it tough to return to a beginner mindset, but it is the best advice, and I will do my best to follow it.  Thanks!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Shoggoth said:

That’s also a pinchers thumb!

I never got into pinching.  Having a bad back kept me from lifting any sort of substantial weight.  The back isn't perfect now, but definitely better.  Maybe I'll try some exercises that were previously off limits!

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:47 PM, bencrush said:

It's so good to see you back in training and posting again, Alan!!! 

Thanks, Ben!  The power flowing in my arms again feels awesome!  

OK, well, that's beginners power...  haha.  Had a little twinge in the left arm again on Friday.  Took a long weekend, big yard sale, way too much pizza.

Work Gym:  One legged squats and calf raises going up one flight of stairs.  2 minute plank.  A good bit of pipe-wrenching on the boilers.

Gym Gym:  Squats, bench, rowing, dips, abs.  Down and back on the monkey bars.

Home Gym:  I think the monkey bars affected my grip, but I got done what I wanted.

Trainer, R + L:  10 reps

Trainer with step bit, R + L:  2 count on all 12 steps.  No overcrush, just holds.

Trainer with 2.5# straphold, R + L:  10 secs 

Bonus round:  fried the forearms with some wrist-rolling.  Apologized with a frosty protein shake.

• Like 1

Trainer, L+R:  same as Monday.  Reps, Steps, Straps, and wrist rolling.  Plus a 2-minute plank.  No gym, got some tree work to do in the morning before the storm hits.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, yeah.  Vast amounts of overtime at work, swing shifts, covering for summer vacations.  Add in house projects with deadlines.  Took a much needed break (ha!).  Back at it tonight.

No work gym.

Gym gym:  Typical workout.  Squats, bench, lat pulldown, rowing, shrugs, shoulder press, curls, reverse curls, dips, abs.  Plus the wonderful Planet Fitness Black Card massage.

Home gym:  Trainer:  reps, steps, and straps.  Wrist rolling.

This will probably be my typical workout for August.  Gonna stick with the Trainer for another month, even though it felt strong.  Wrist roller fries my forearms, I love it so much!!!

• Like 2

Right on, I figured you were still hacking away but wanted to check on you. 

20 hours ago, bencrush said:

Right on, I figured you were still hacking away but wanted to check on you. 

Much appreciated!

• Like 1