Animal Roars Again !

AnimalCage

Great work on that Phonebook Alan.Those things are a lot of fun. :rock

"Just when I thought I would have an easy life the Gripboard came around.....ahh shucks :( " - your average phonebook

"Brothers let's stand up for our rights :rock ...we got the numbers!" - Simon Phonebook at the National Convention of phonebooks

• 4 weeks later...

Have completely lost focus on grip past couple of weeks.

First, I am house shopping. Between sitting at the computer going through massive lists of houses available, and driving around 5 zip codes looking at what I didn't eliminate while sitting at the computer, this has left me with little free time lately.

When I do have free time, I have been at the Y doing something amazing: running. I can tell that the few months of squats and deadlifts and ab work have paid off because i can now run pain-free. I did a 9:17 mile two weeks ago, after not having run a timed mile in 20 years. I knew I could do better, and set a goal for under 8 minutes. Since I am an idiot, I pushed it out last week, and did 7:56. So, as much as i miss grip, I am quite content in my progress. I eventually need to find a routine incorporating all of weights, cardio, and grip. That is simply a matter of having enough time.

Have completely lost focus on grip past couple of weeks.

First, I am house shopping. Between sitting at the computer going through massive lists of houses available, and driving around 5 zip codes looking at what I didn't eliminate while sitting at the computer, this has left me with little free time lately.

When I do have free time, I have been at the Y doing something amazing: running. I can tell that the few months of squats and deadlifts and ab work have paid off because i can now run pain-free. I did a 9:17 mile two weeks ago, after not having run a timed mile in 20 years. I knew I could do better, and set a goal for under 8 minutes. Since I am an idiot, I pushed it out last week, and did 7:56. So, as much as i miss grip, I am quite content in my progress. I eventually need to find a routine incorporating all of weights, cardio, and grip. That is simply a matter of having enough time.

Aint' nothing like pain free running!!! :rock . (I love running....when I can)

Yeah, I'm jealous of your mile time :(

Yeah dog, pain free anything is great! And Matt, you wouldn't be so jealous if you saw me when I was done. I was ready to hurl myself inside-out! It was 95% mental. I wanted to quit at 2 tenths, and just kept saying one more tenth. one more tenth. In simple words, I went beyond...

There are two seasons in my year: Vibrams, and no Vibrams. Like Arturo, I love sprinting in them. Hopefully this coming week I can get out there and start.

Just found a high school friend on facebook, and his 14 yo freshman daughter has already lettered in track with a 6.01 mile. My best mile 20 years ago was 6.34. I suppose my next goal would be a sub-7 mile, but I need a bunch more conditioning to even approach that. My son wants to do a 14 minute 2-mile. I think I can do that. I'm curious to what level I can take this new pain-free body!

Alan, I haven't tried a single timed mile in a while, but I don't think I've been under 9:00 in years.

• 3 months later...

Still out here somewhere. You caught me about two weeks before my planned return to workouts. After years of blood, sweat, and tears, there are big, life-altering changes happening and taking all my focus and energy. I haven't lost any strength, hit the grippers every now and then. Maybe I'll try for a PR on my Coin Challenge tomorrow. I seem to do really well after a long break.

Glad to see you haven't stopped, Ben. A lot of progress being made here with everyone. I really hated missing the local grip comp. I will find my way back, and soon!

Wish I could lure you back out this way to another grip comp Alan. I've got the go-ahead to put together a big USAWA grip contest at the Dino Gym in Abilene, Kansas this year. If you could see a video of the inside of this gym you'd hop a train and endure the ride down here just to step foot in here and get your hands on the unbelievable amount of iron history Al Myers has stored there.

After all the "you know what" I've been through, I need a good vacation. Hmm.... Date? Time?

1000 miles to Indianapolis

Drive - $100.00 in gas, 16 hours

Train - $240.00 ticket, 16 hours

Bus - $220.00 ticket, 24 hours

Air - $260.00 ticket, 3 hours

To Lawrence, Kansas, it'd be Grip Air and a rental car. Unless I wanted to stop in Indy to see family, Memphis to see other family. Then it turns into a naycation. (Hey, if they can put "staycation" in the dictionary, why not a word that means when a vacation is so much work you're glad to get home and go back to your job?)

After all the "you know what" I've been through, I need a good vacation. Hmm.... Date? Time?

1000 miles to Indianapolis

Drive - $100.00 in gas, 16 hours

Train - $240.00 ticket, 16 hours

Bus - $220.00 ticket, 24 hours

Air - $260.00 ticket, 3 hours

To Lawrence, Kansas, it'd be Grip Air and a rental car. Unless I wanted to stop in Indy to see family, Memphis to see other family. Then it turns into a naycation. (Hey, if they can put "staycation" in the dictionary, why not a word that means when a vacation is so much work you're glad to get home and go back to your job?)

Heck yeah man, I know the feeling! You'd be welcome to stay with me and Carrie (you met her at the SGC) in Lawrence. So that would save you some hotel expense. I'm sure we'd feed you here and there also, haha. :D That would also save you gas from Lawrence to Abilene. Not a lot of savings, but it would add up over the weekend.

I haven't set a date yet. I just got the go-ahead so I've been really putting a lot of time into coming up with entertaining grip contest ideas and a suitable format for the USAWA events.

I'll gauge interest for it and if there are a dozen guys that confirm their intent to compete - then I'll get things set in stone and let everyone know what they need to be training for.

• 2 weeks later...

Gearing up for a return to working out. Hit the gym twice this week, easing back in to things. A few sessions of timed holds on #1 and #2, plus numerous singles with the #2.5. If I close on the house next week, August should be a great month!!

First Serious gripper workout in months. :happy

Warmup - Got a coworker (or maybe two) interested in gripping. They are security guys, and want a commanding grip. One guy ordered a COC 1 and 2. His 1 was here at work, so I compared it to my 2001 #1. Extremely close in strength, his close felt a wee bit squishy compared to mine. His handles met perfectly, mine are off by 1/8". Spread was even. Numerous closes there to comparison test. I also recommended other exercises including heavy pinching and thickbar work.

I opened my mouth on July 10 and said I might be able to PR on the Coin Challenge. Time to man up!

Righty - #2.5 - 8 secs (PR by 1 sec), 6 sec, 5 sec, miss, 5 sec, miss, 6 sec

Lefty - #2 - miss. #1.5 - 20 sec, miss, miss (was confused by the two misses, looked at the gripper, and I had picked up the #2 again. DUH!) #1.5 again - 17 sec, 19 sec

Numerous cool down sets with #2, #1.5, and #1. Need to increase my endurance.

Couldn't coin hold #2 lefty. :angry:

Thursday night - swam for 1/2 hour in a lake in Maine. NICE!!

Today - Moving day, which is always a good workout. After four hours, we broke for lunch. My friend was playing with the grippers, specifically the PDA 343. I said, "I've only closed it a few times", set it, clicked it, and held it shut for 8 seconds. Umm, I guess moving gets the blood pumping! I'm still in shock. Cooled down with loading / unloading 300 bricks, pinching 2 per hand.

Something peculiar is going on.

Last week I PR'd on the Coin Challenge, 8 seconds. Saturday, I snapped shut the 343. So last night, I went for the 343 again. Click and hold. OK, time to find a penny...

17 second Coin Challenge. PR by more than double. I'm not believing this. Waited a few minutes and...

9 seconds. Beat my PR again. Waited a few more minutes and

4 seconds. OK, hand is tired now. Ate dinner, waited about 20 minutes and...

10 seconds. That's three times tonight I beat my PR.

Tried the 343, couldn't hold the penny at this point.

Lefty I almost closed the 2.5, was snapping the #2 shut many times.

I don't remember experiencing a jump in strength like this before. Could be many things, a decrease in stress, the air and/or water in Maine, a much healthier diet, who knows. I just like it.

Great stuff Alan. It sounds like your hand strength is really increasing.

This is great news for you!!!! Keep it going.

Tim -- FullPower

• 2 weeks later...

Workouts have been scarce, work has not.

Sunday - Closed and held 343 easily. Scary. Tried my #3, thought maybe I closed it, but couldn't be sure. That's the closest I've ever been.

Tuesday - Closed and held 343 while driving, meaning less focus and less leverage.

Thursday - Closed 343, but it was tough. Maybe it was the pizza I had Wed night? Have been tweaking my diet lately.

That's great news!!!! Congratulations!!!! It must feel great to have closed it.