Tex Vs The Original Blob

1stCoC

By the percentage based logic, you have to multiple each lb of weight added to the easy blobs by 0.65 when adding it to the total to compare with the old blob. 1lb on the easy blob is only worth 0.65lbs on the hard one. The 65% statement is an arbitrary number, more or less.

Josh has a much better way to determine the difficulty difference between the two. Have the same person hit a limit lift (with weight added) on each tool. The ratio of the total weight of each lift is the relative difficulty. Test over multiple days and individuals to get more data points and a more accurate reading. I don't think changing the friction of the surfaces is necessary, since that is part of the challenge of lifting each specific blob.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1stCoC

• jad

• Chris Mathison

• The Natural

By the percentage based logic, you have to multiple each lb of weight added to the easy blobs by 0.65 when adding it to the total to compare with the old blob. 1lb on the easy blob is only worth 0.65lbs on the hard one. The 65% statement is an arbitrary number, more or less.

Josh has a much better way to determine the difficulty difference between the two. Have the same person hit a limit lift (with weight added) on each tool. The ratio of the total weight of each lift is the relative difficulty. Test over multiple days and individuals to get more data points and a more accurate reading. I don't think changing the friction of the surfaces is necessary, since that is part of the challenge of lifting each specific blob.

My hypothesis is, at least relative to my two blobs, that the major difficulty is due to the slickness of the old one and not the shape. Shape certainly increases it but I'm guessing the slickness will effect it more. This is why I'm using the tape.

I have seen it partially lifted several times. I am pretty sure a full pull in the pinch style Tom Heslep,and Chad with it by the face. Doc 8" or so in a pinch,Heath a partial, Dave lemanski (sp) I think got it a ways up in my office and a dents in the carpet stand as witness to that moment. Other than Tex, Tommy and myself since the mid 80"s I cant recall actually having seen it pinch full pulled. There may be more but, and hopefully others out in the grip world can help my memory. I have tried to have it "available" everywhere I have had an office or gym. I think Jed, The Natural, and Wade would have solid but "earned" success with it.The best might even lifting up to an additional 16lb by my calculations. With my take on the Fat Man,s difficulty,AND Tex's observations. I now know why to me it has always been difficult and the lack of it getting air time even with the many accomplished pinchers that have given it a try.RS

Richard have you ever given thought to having a replica made of the Original Blob similar to what Gordon V has done with the Blob 50? Might be interesting to see what some of the guys here could do with it if they had a chance to train regularly on a replica.

Edited by denisbeck

I have seen it partially lifted several times. I am pretty sure a full pull in the pinch style Tom Heslep,and Chad with it by the face. Doc 8" or so in a pinch,Heath a partial, Dave lemanski (sp) I think got it a ways up in my office and a dents in the carpet stand as witness to that moment. Other than Tex, Tommy and myself since the mid 80"s I cant recall actually having seen it pinch full pulled. There may be more but, and hopefully others out in the grip world can help my memory. I have tried to have it "available" everywhere I have had an office or gym. I think Jed, The Natural, and Wade would have solid but "earned" success with it.The best might even lifting up to an additional 16lb by my calculations. With my take on the Fat Man,s difficulty,AND Tex's observations. I now know why to me it has always been difficult and the lack of it getting air time even with the many accomplished pinchers that have given it a try.RS

Richard have you ever given thought to having a replica made of the Original Blob similar to what Gordon V has done with the Blob 50? Might be interesting to see what some of the guys here could do with it if they had a chance to train regularly on a replica.

I was going to suggest this also. There are several advantages to it:

1) It allows everyone an opportunity to train on an O-blob. This would effectively end the mere speculation going on in this thread about how the normal blob compares to the O-blob. It would, in other words, let old fashioned empiricism deflate the mystery surrounding what is at root just another grip feat that can be practiced like any other.

2) It would allow me to test the following hypothesis: Within a few weeks of steady training, those who can get a normal blob plus 10 pounds would be able to kill an O-blob. I'll go even further and say that, once the O-blob is no longer restricted to some municipality of South Carolina, but is a regular part of every pinch gripper's training, doing an O-blob plus weight will be cliche. Just imagine how difficult it would be to close a CoC #3 (once you finally got the chance) if there were only one or two in existence...

-Rex

Edited by The Natural

The blob is the blob. I think the feat has gone past the original. It is great that the originator is still around to provide his input, but at some point the popularity spreads the feat beyond this point. If you talk about pinching something wider but still the same weight, it becomes more and more obvious that it is just a test about how big your hands are.

Now, whipping Dave Horne on some pinching stuff would be a great feat of strength! It would be nice to see how Tex would fair in that regard. Or equalling the prowess of someone like Tommy Helsep in the original IM gripper rules.

The blob is the blob. I think the feat has gone past the original. It is great that the originator is still around to provide his input, but at some point the popularity spreads the feat beyond this point.

You've got a good point, Bob. But even if what you say is true, the O-blob is, from what I gather, a feat distinct from the regular blob (which, as you say, is now a feat with little connection to the original). Richard has challenged some of us on the board to lift the O-blob, and what I'm trying to suggest is that it is not the intrinsic difficulty of the O-blob, but rather the fact that very few can train on an O-blob, that makes it so difficult to lift. Neuro-musuclar programming is half the battle, but how is one supposed to program himself if he can't touch the O-blob or a replica?

The first time I touched a York blob, I could not lift it. The next week I lifted it. Did this have to do with a sudden increase in strength? No. I did no grip training in the mean time. It was simply a case of neuro-muscular adaptation. This provides a clue as to why the O-blob is so difficult for otherwise strong gripsters to lfit: they never get a chance to program themselves beforehand, and even if their first experience with the O-blob sufficed for programming, we will never know, since they usually don't visit the Sorinex compound again before the programming fades.

Edited by The Natural

This provides a clue as to why the O-blob is so difficult for otherwise strong gripsters to lfit: they never get a chance to program themselves beforehand, and even if their first experience with the O-blob sufficed for programming, we will never know, since they usually don't visit the Sorinex compound again before the programming fades.

Interesting. but, the strength still has to be there.

The blob is the blob. I think the feat has gone past the original. It is great that the originator is still around to provide his input, but at some point the popularity spreads the feat beyond this point.

You've got a good point, Bob. But even if what you say is true, the O-blob is, from what I gather, a feat distinct from the regular blob (which, as you say, is now a feat with little connection to the original). Richard has challenged some of us on the board to lift the O-blob, and what I'm trying to suggest is that it is not the intrinsic difficulty of the O-blob, but rather the fact that very few can train on an O-blob, that makes it so difficult to lift. Neuro-musuclar programming is half the battle, but how is one supposed to program himself if he can't touch the O-blob or a replica?

The first time I touched a York blob, I could not lift it. The next week I lifted it. Did this have to do with a sudden increase in strength? No. I did no grip training in the mean time. It was simply a case of neuro-muscular adaptation. This provides a clue as to why the O-blob is so difficult for otherwise strong gripsters to lfit: they never get a chance to program themselves beforehand, and even if their first experience with the O-blob sufficed for programming, we will never know, since they usually don't visit the Sorinex compound again before the programming fades.

I good way to simulate how one of the originals feels is to lift the blob you have the "hard" way. Most experienced guys know about the sweet spot on the blobs that have slightly different sides. Try putting your thumb on the hard side and lifting with weight attached. I think you will be surprised at how much harder a completely convex surface is. I used to train more this way but got tired of the inconsistancies - much harder to maintain a grip with the thumb on the convex side. I don't get any benefit from my fingers being on the "good" side - it might even be more difficult for me. But my thumb on the "good" side makes about 10 pounds difference. I don't think it is ever going to be routine to lift the original blob + weight - these types of blobs are that much harder. If you understand this then you get it.

I good way to simulate how one of the originals feels is to lift the blob you have the "hard" way. Most experienced guys know about the sweet spot on the blobs that have slightly different sides. Try putting your thumb on the hard side and lifting with weight attached. I think you will be surprised at how much harder a completely convex surface is. I used to train more this way but got tired of the inconsistancies - much harder to maintain a grip with the thumb on the convex side. I don't get any benefit from my fingers being on the "good" side - it might even be more difficult for me. But my thumb on the "good" side makes about 10 pounds difference. I don't think it is ever going to be routine to lift the original blob + weight - these types of blobs are that much harder. If you understand this then you get it.

To what you're saying; Wade have you tried a 50# Legacy with your thumb on the round side? I've heard this is HARD.

For sure, it is WAY harder to lift the blob with your thumb on the curved side.

I didnt know there was a difference, curve wise, between the two sides on a blob. Im learning alot in this thread.

I'm confused now...

How many different shaped blobs are there? Three?

To me it sounds like there is the Original Blob which has very rounded sides. Then there are old blobs that have slightly straighter sides and Gordon's BLOB50 is a replica of this. Then there is the Legacy Blob which has one rounder side and one straighter side. Right?

I'm confused now...

How many different shaped blobs are there? Three?

To me it sounds like there is the Original Blob which has very rounded sides. Then there are old blobs that have slightly straighter sides and Gordon's BLOB50 is a replica of this. Then there is the Legacy Blob which has one rounder side and one straighter side. Right?

correct

Most blobs have one side that is rounded more than the other. Most of the time with the ones we have it's the Handel side that is rounded more.

You haven't really lifted a Blob until you have lifted the original.
I kinda see where he's coming from: If the ORIGINAL blob lift was done with a fatboy, then it hasn't been replicated until you've done it with a fatboy. After all, legacy blobs aren't accepted as a replica blob lift, so why are other, older, blobs accepted as replica lifts, when they are a completely different shape from the original, fatboy, blob? Seems like double standards. Legacy blobs=no, but thinner blobs=yes. (this from someone that's never lifted either!)
How about posting a side by side pic of the O-Blob and Blob so we can see the differences?
Wurd!

Sorry for the wait but I have been traveling and G-man has been overworked on his video tasks but below find a link to my recent try on a York 50 that was sitting in my office untill we rolled it out to join the 52.5 old style that I/we use for training. I hadn't worked on Blobs since March and was "cold"but inspired by Texes work as of late I gave it a go . The difference in the York 50 and 52.5 ( matching the O Blob) is quite different visually and in compared difficulty .RS

Here is the link.

http://www.sorinexforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=394

whoa.. looked easy Richard. BTW. Everything on that green floor is like a little dream grip buffet

hOUSE JUST WALKED IN AND TOLD ME "HORROR" STOIES OF WORKING OUT THE OTHER DAY HAVING SOME SUCCESS WITH THE YORK 50 AND THEN TEX PADDED OVER IN HIS FLIP FLOPS AND PROCEEDED TO LIFT ABOUT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT ON THE GREEN GRIP ISLAND AREA ..HE WAS SO BLOWN AWAY HE JUST LEFT. BERT RELATED SOME FEATS HE SAW THIS WEEKEND TEX DID THAT ARE WAYYYYYYYYYY UP THERE ON THE GRIP SCALE. A FEW MINUTES AGO HOUSE AND I TRIED THE 50 AND HAD SOME LUCK FURTHER UNRAVELING THE O BLOB MYSTERY. MORE VIDEOS TO FOLLOW SOON.ALSO BIG T HAS BEEN WORKING ON MULTIPLE REP TABLE TYPE NO SET FULL REPS WITH SOME PRETTY STRONG GRIPPERS GETTING READY I GUESS FOR THE OPEN HOUSE FEST ON THE 28TH OF THIS MONTH. RS

take video on the 28th Richard. I have a question. You hinted at Tex doing something big gripper wise soon. Is it a 4 close? Watching him slam a 3.5 at the Arnold that I missed by 1/2" was pretty sweet.

Edited by Chris Mathison

I think Tex is happy here making good progress and enjoying himself. He still is the powerhouse with his the relaxed demenor but seems like his interest is building every day in all the areas of all grip. I think he has a few personal grip plans or perhaps a memorable grip feat "gift" for my birthday open house. I have seen and done alot but he is quite a standout and talented guy when it comes to hand strength.RS

Well , G-Man says he has finished with the link to our continued Blob research and just plain fooling around with House and I with the York 50, and O Blob 52.5 "Grip Island" look-a-like. I haven't had time to look at what he shot so whatever came out ...enjoy! RS

Here is the Link.

http://www.sorinexforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=397

gazza seems to make blob lifting look so easy ......its a shame that gazza,mobster and dave horne do not get a chance to lift this blob