Tex Vs The Original Blob

1stCoC

I was treated to a grip session with Big Tex last night and at the end was in awe and slack jawed. He walked in and with a usual smile and bone crushing hug he said he had been doing better with the 52.5 old style York blob we have on display. As he stood there it dawned on me if his recent success would transfer to the "Fat Man" the Original Blob itself. Eager to try as ever we rolled it out of the office. He warmed up with lighter Blobs for a minute and said "ok". I suggested he get a bit of chalk and he readied himself. The pictures I am including are only a sample of what he SO easily did then later repeated all over for my son Bert and "G' Man. He did the Original Blob Right, then, Left, Then Right by the face ,Then Original 52.5 lb Blob right and left with an York 50 at the same time. He never missed a beat and held each attempt for multiple photos. After it was all said and done ( in a very short time) I asked him how do Blobs (and hex ) compare? He said the York 50 (a bit later fistail vintage) was If the O Blob was a 100 points value of difficulty the York 50 was a 65. I asked him several times to get that statment clear and correct according to his on the scene experience. He said" remember a blob OR a hex is ONLY 50lbs. and the whole difficulty of the lift is the shape". So, even genuine York Blobs vary quite a bit and the straight sided hex by their shape are basically a 50lb pinch not much more . He just toyed with the York 50. But as he said "I really got to get down" on the Original. He is truly a amaziningly gifted, humble guy. RS

Here is the link to the pictures.

http://www.sorinexforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=387

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1stCoC

• jad

• Chris Mathison

• The Natural

:blink Wow. That's all I can say...I'm too amazed to say much else :blink Edited by Magnus

Something wrong w/the database - can't see the pics :(

I see them :)

As usual, he has a smile on his face while holding the darned things!

I know nothing about blobs as I've only seen 4 blobs in my life and the biggest one is a 37.5lbr, but I will say I'm shocked he thinks there is such a big difference between a regular York 50 blob and that Original one.

Wow wow double wow... that looks way too easy for him :yikes

Tex is on another level from normal people. he is like comparing a 5'10 average basketball player to 7 foot nba player. Its interesting to see how far he can take it, but he is just so gifted in his strength is incredible. He is just like Mark Henry in his strength, only he has a much larger frame so his limits are even higher.

Man he is truly something to watch. Incredible strength.

Tim

Richard,

I know you've said in the past but how many people have successfully lifted the original blob? I know it wasn't many.

Tim

I have seen it partially lifted several times. I am pretty sure a full pull in the pinch style Tom Heslep,and Chad with it by the face. Doc 8" or so in a pinch,Heath a partial, Dave lemanski (sp) I think got it a ways up in my office and a dents in the carpet stand as witness to that moment. Other than Tex, Tommy and myself since the mid 80"s I cant recall actually having seen it pinch full pulled. There may be more but, and hopefully others out in the grip world can help my memory. I have tried to have it "available" everywhere I have had an office or gym. I think Jed, The Natural, and Wade would have solid but "earned" success with it.The best might even lifting up to an additional 16lb by my calculations. With my take on the Fat Man,s difficulty,AND Tex's observations. I now know why to me it has always been difficult and the lack of it getting air time even with the many accomplished pinchers that have given it a try.RS

Great stuff and I can't wait to get my hands on it again. I, like many, failed to break the ground, but I will the next time we meet.

Tex IS a great man.

I am dying to get to Sorinex.

Great stuff Tex! :rock I can't get over the size of his hand; his fingers are almost/if not touching the place where the handle used to be and his hand is even on it all the way :blink

I was finished with my pinch workout for the night--hands began to involuntarily ball into fists--until I came inside and read this thread. Now I am going to go back to my garage and hit it again.

Thanks for the pictures, Richard. I am starting to understand how the shape differs from a standard blob.

Awesome lifting! :bow I'd like to see Tex try the regular Blob with weight added. I think he might give Wade's Blob+25.5# lift a scare.

Guys thanks for all the feedback. We will start adding weight to the 52.5 for him( Tex) . He I think can add a "few" pounds how many I am not sure. Believe me if Andrew D. didn't make the O Blob it is NO easy thing...Andy is an amazingly strong guy that made the Grip Gauntlet Challenge at the Arnolds. Tex is also playing with the grippers and is working on a surprise for us all. I just grin when I think of his devilish plan. RS

Wow!!!!! Where else can you talk to a grip legend about other grip legends. . . . this stuff is great!!!!! Tex is one BIG dude.

Richard - it looks like you're going to have to cut up a much bigger dumbbell to stop ole Tex :D

Chris, Sadly, York never made solid dumbbells heavier than 100's. With the shape being the final issue on the lifting of the Blobs even a bit larger size would render it almost impossible for a man with an "average" size hand. I can play with a 46.5 Blob but just that bit more bulge and girth at 50 or 52 the geometry of shape becomes the issue not the weight. I think a 60lb blob would if "solid" ( not weight added to) and in porportion larger to the 50 might be at the near impossible level. As I mentioned to Tex in a question. "as strong as you are can you pinch grip a 16lb bowling ball"? He agreed "I think not" his reply............... its ALL in the shape! Chris, what is your best blob weight success? RS

I want to see an awesome grip competetion at sorienex with all the great guys, tex, duriant, jedd, chad, david ext. I would pay to watch those guys pump each other up and do some amazing things.

Chris, Sadly, York never made solid dumbbells heavier than 100's. With the shape being the final issue on the lifting of the Blobs even a bit larger size would render it almost impossible for a man with an "average" size hand. I can play with a 46.5 Blob but just that bit more bulge and girth at 50 or 52 the geometry of shape becomes the issue not the weight. I think a 60lb blob would if "solid" ( not weight added to) and in porportion larger to the 50 might be at the near impossible level. As I mentioned to Tex in a question. "as strong as you are can you pinch grip a 16lb bowling ball"? He agreed "I think not" his reply............... its ALL in the shape! Chris, what is your best blob weight success? RS

Richard - I was thinking more in terms of the big hexes for Tex to keep trying for heavier challenges - his hands are so big and so strong, I'm not sure what his limit is going to be on stuff like this.

My best personally? I've done a few different ones of the York Blobs with the USA on them along with a couple different Blob 50s - I had an old style York that weighed 52.5 that is the harder fatter style like yours that I sold to Sean Dockery not long ago. It was certainly a good bit harder than the others that I have done but I got to where I could do it fairly consistently after a year or so of working with it. I failed on your nasty one after the GGC held at Sorinex and at Anson and Scott contest where Chad did it and failed on Scott Georges 54.5# one as well. His may actually be harder than yours is - kind of hard to tell when failing on both of course but I floated yours and his stayed nailed to the floor :blush . I've had Wades up maybe an inch at best at the Arnold. I can't even begin to do them by the face - I just can't seem to get enough of my finger tips over to even try it. It's not something I train very often any more - different goals right now. I did go out and lift my Blob 50 about 3-4" just now to see where I am currently. You might borrow Scott's and have the big boy do a Farmers walk with both of those - it might at least slow him down but I doubt it.