Tex Vs The Original Blob

1stCoC

The solid York "Legacy" DBs go up to 150. Though not the same as the older Yorks, I believe there was a fairly recent topic about them being a bit of a challenge when gripped a certain way (thumb on the more rounded end?).

and Tex is huge.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1stCoC

• jad

• Chris Mathison

• The Natural

The Big Man Tex walked in last night at the end of my workout and said" after you left Tuesday I did the 52.5 and the O blob at the same time with Bert watching" Sparking my interest I asked him if he would want to try the York 50 and/ or the O Blob with extra weight. He just toys with the 50 but as I said the O Blob requires some concentration. We strapped 5, then 10 lbs on the York 50, both successful, medium hard attempts. The 10lb when placed on the O Blob was a"no go" rising a few inches (2-3") several times. I schooled him a bit on getting a more firm squeeze before commiting to lifting the thing. These attempts as usual were relaxed, smiling, attempts during breaks in our conversation. He is good for more, I think, but now he WILL have to start working! Our conversation did go back to really how didfficult the O blob was as compared to the newer York 50. One positive note about the O Blob...it has the original paint worn off finish and really has a "good" feel. It is exactly the same as when I first lifted it 25+ years ago. RS

Where did Scott get the 54.5? A little history on it??How can I get to see it? RS

Any pics of these latest O-Blob and Blob lifts? How about posting a side by side pic of the O-Blob and Blob so we can see the differences?

Where did Scott get the 54.5? A little history on it??How can I get to see it? RS

I tried it at Gripmas and there are no good spots on it. I think Wade would call it "smooth" vs. "slick". Usually there is a nick, chip, whatever on a blob to hook your thumb on and I couldn't find any on Scott's.

Well done Tex :rock Richar, how is Tex on grippers? Or did he stopped? Any thoughts on the #4 cert?

Inspired by Tex's recent work with the Blobs I decided to do a bit of checking for myself after my workout friday. I havern worked on the Blob/s sinch the Arnolds Gauntlet in early march so I really didn't expect much. There still was the York 50 blob sitting next to our "house" 52.5 so I decided to give the 50 ( which I never trained on a try) I was AMAZED to see the difference in feel to what I had become used to when always training with the Fatmen blobs. It was actually one of the best, easiest attempts I ever had on one . A camera was available so they shot (after a short intro about the York 50 and OBlob) a decent video of my work on this object. G-Man will have the film loop up and ready to link tomorrow. Never have tried a "50" other than at the Arnolds I honestly concur with Tex that the differences in those two Blobs was "night and day" His estimate rating of 100points on the O Blob and 65 points on an "typical" York 50 Blob seems to me to ring absolutely true. With no training for several months and cold to boot the experience was an eye opener for me. I regret on that attempt not following through and curling or cleaning it after it left the ground.RS

It can be said that a 50 York Blob is like lifting only 37 1/2lbs. compared to lifting the O-blob. You haven't really lifted a Blob until you have lifted the original. :rock

You haven't really lifted a Blob until you have lifted the original. :rock

Very few people have lifted a blob then.

double post. .ignore.

Edited by Chris Mathison

Excuse my maths, make that 32 1/2lbs. and not 37 1/2! :D

This keeps getting better and better.

No. :dry

It's like finding the hardest #3 around and saying you haven't closed a #3 till you closed this one. Or having not truly pinch lifted 45's until you pinch lift these old york 45's. :whacked

Richard,

Here is a video of me lifting two fat blobs: Scott's 54 lb Blob and I think the other one is the Blob Doc bought from Chris Rice. Correct me if I am wrong guys.

It was a pretty easy lift, especially for being after a full Grip contest. Obviously, I tilted the hell out of both of them, but it was easy enough, I am sure I could repeat it flat.

Tell Tex to keep up the good work! Love reading about his grip exploits. Is a #4 cert in the future??

Jedd, I have seen you in action and you are absolutely the real deal. I remember you running the Blob gauntlet at your/our contest get together several years ago here. If you did an even heavier genuine York than the 52.5 and you did it fairly straight ( I think the tilt greatly takes away from the feat as we all hopefully realize) It would be an extremely impressive feat. I did go back to the York 50 last night when House thundered in and had some success again with no warmup. House, not being exposed to a 50 other than at the Arnolds GNC Gauntlet (where he lifted it as well his first and only time). He actually stirred it last night and was able to hold it aloft for some light finger tip assisted attempts. Strange, as it comes to mind the only time my son Bert lifted a Blob was at the Arnolds too and I even got a( my only) 2 finger and thumb pinch pull on it there as well in 2007 during a break in the contest action.RS G- man should have the Video we took on Fri up tonight or tomorrow morn.RS

Yup the other one is the 52.5 that is Doc's now. That 54 is a beast! I have not lifted that one yet. I am off and on lifting Doc's 52.5. You guys are on another world when it comes to this stuff. Great work both of ya! You make our easier 50 look like a 42.5. :D

It's like finding the hardest #3 around and saying you haven't closed a #3 till you closed this one. Or having not truly pinch lifted 45's until you pinch lift these old york 45's. :whacked

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed also.

Agreed.

Agreed also.

Agreed.---Or maybe it can be said that you haven't squeezed a 4 'till you've squeezed the phantom

Excuse my maths, make that 32 1/2lbs. and not 37 1/2! :D

Actually it's 34.13 since the O-blob is 52.5. So by this logic you would need to lift a York with an additional 15.88# to lift the O-blob?

The math was based on Tex rating a York Blob at 65 and the O-Super Blob at 100. So 65 as a percentage of 50lbs is 32.5 lbs, as a percentage of the O-Super Blob it is 34.125. So add 18.375 lbs to your 50 lb York Blob and it will be = to lifting the O-Blob. Simple really :blink

Edited by OldGuy

The math was based on Tex rating a York Blob at 65 and the O-Super Blob at 100. So 65 as a percentage of 50lbs is 32.5 lbs, as a percentage of the O-Super Blob it is 34.125. So add 18.375 lbs to your 50 lb York Blob and it will be = to lifting the O-Blob. Simple really :blink

Ahhh yes, I didn't add the 2.5# back into the total

I am interested grippers are embracing working the numbers But I wish more could feel the difference to get better feedback. I would by" feel" think the 50York plus 18lb. is more difficult than the O Blob but, I know when easily lifting the York 50 in both Tex am my case the O Blob right next to it didn't get air time on my part even when I was thinking to add weight to the 50 or do something as hard as a clean or curl with it. Keep thinking about pinch gripping a bowling ball... it's all in the shape not the weight. A 16 lb pinch is nothing if the ball were squashed flat on the sides and 3"thick! Way back when when I conceived the Blob ass a super test of grip strength ..if it were a more narrow, straighter sided one, or an on the nose 50 lb.( not 52.5) I just might have used it for a boat anchor.RS

Regarding feel; I think I'm going to do an experiment after MGC. I have an old school 52.5 York that is slick/smooth and I have a Blob50. I'm going to add athletic tape to each and see how much additional weight I can add to each. With surface constant it should give me a good idea of how much the shape of the old York effects the difficulty vs. my blob50.

Regarding feel; I think I'm going to do an experiment after MGC. I have an old school 52.5 York that is slick/smooth and I have a Blob50. I'm going to add athletic tape to each and see how much additional weight I can add to each. With surface constant it should give me a good idea of how much the shape of the old York effects the difficulty vs. my blob50.

Good idea Josh. Factor in that percentage thing though when you add weight to the Blob50. I love numbers.