“coc” Gripper Time Line

bigmatt

Looking for a “CoC” Gripper Time Line. The years that the Silver Crush, Single Stamp #, Double Stamp # to the new one’s with the “CoC” and the # on the bottom. Looking for start dates and end dates.

Thanks,

Matt

I have a general idea, just from reading the archives. One thing to remember is that changes were made during certain years, but obviously model runs can spill over and some stock can last longer than others. The only thing I don't know much about is the Silver Crush grippers. This is my understanding of the timeline, based only on what I have gathered here at the board:

1991-2002, Silver Crush is in here somewhere early, I think. Aside from that, these are black spring, single-stamped grippers.

2002-2004, black spring, double-stamped number only.

2005, GR8 spring, double-stamped number only.

2006-present, GR8 spring, double-stamped, COC stamps on bottom of handles.

Some blanks that maybe others can clarify:

- I'm not sure about the Silver Crush grippers.

- I'm not sure if there was always a band around the middle of the handle

- I'm not sure if there was always an engraving on that band.

i dont think there was always engraving in the band, i have a double stamped 2 that has no engraving around the handles in that band

i dont think there was always engraving in the band, i have a double stamped 2 that has no engraving around the handles in that band

I bet that doesn't have the COC stamps either? I wonder if those were added at the same time?

Is your gripper GR8?

Do you know what year you purchased it?

Thank you Cannon and egg uk for you input!

Can more people add to this?

Thanks,

Matt

I did more searching the archives and found some info on the handle bands. Pdoire posted that "Captains of Crush" appeared on the band in 2004. Zcor clarified there are 2003 grippers that have it as well. So, here is an update based on that:

1991-2002, Silver Crush is in here somewhere early, I think. Aside from that, these are black spring, single-stamped grippers, possibly with a blank handle band.

2002-2003, black spring, double-stamped number only, blank handle band

2003-2004, black spring, double-stamped number only, "Captains of Crush" on handle band.

2004-2005, GR8 spring, double-stamped number only, "Captains of Crush" on handle band.

2006-present, GR8 spring, double-stamped, COC stamps on bottom of handles, "Captains of Crush" on handle band.

Still to clarify:

- Silver Crush grippers

- Nature of handle bands 1991-2002

I was looking at this thread where Mr. Sorin talks a lot about the Silver Crush grippers.

I get the impression there are only 3 Silver Crush grippers and Mr. Sorin has them. Not to be confused with the "Silver Elite" grippers from Warren. I'm still really confused about Silver Anything grippers. I have PM'd Mr. Sorin because I think he could add a LOT to this thread.

For someone interested in the history of the grippers, the captains of crush book by ironmind is worth your time. It kind of surprises me ironmind doesn't offer a gripper history timeline on their website.

Silver crush grippers were produced for sale for a period of time. I believe they came with steel handles and chromed springs.

Man, searching the archives for "silver crush" and "silver elite" and "double stamped" etc is really intersting. There is a TON of info out there.

I get the impression that a lot of different stuff happened early on. For example, Wannagrip reported having a very early #4 and it is double-stamped with steel handles.

Couple things. There are alot more silver crush grippers than 3. There were silver crush #1, #2s and #3s. Alawadhi has 3 or 4 that I know of, plus he has a VERY early Stainless steel handled #4. The gripper that only 3 existed was the phantom 4 which John Brookfield, Richard Sorin and one other guy has.

That's the small ammount I'm fairly sure of.

Tim

• Like 1

Here's a link that shows Alawadhi's 3 silver crushes.

silver crush

Tim

Also, the COC grippers were made with steel handles and black springs for a time. These have the band around the handle.

Double checked your history cannon. Missing the single stamp aluminum handle grippers also.

The ultra rare stainless steel, double stamped CoC came out between late 1992 - early 1996. The biggest mistake I've ever made was giving the whole collection away!!! :cry

The ultra rare stainless steel, double stamped CoC came out between late 1992 - early 1996. The biggest mistake I've ever made was giving the whole collection away!!! :cry

I bet that does hurt. Were all the steel handle ones with the black springs, stainless steel? I know the silver crushes were chrome covered steel.

Nice topic.

Tim

Double checked your history cannon. Missing the single stamp aluminum handle grippers also.

Thanks Bob.

Can someone clarify?

Were Silver Crush from 1991-1992 then?

Then came the steel-handled, double-stamped from 1992 until 1996?

Then aluminum-handled, single-stamped from 1996 through 2002?

• 4 weeks later...
I did more searching the archives and found some info on the handle bands. Pdoire posted that "Captains of Crush" appeared on the band in 2004. Zcor clarified there are 2003 grippers that have it as well. So, here is an update based on that:

1991-2002, Silver Crush is in here somewhere early, I think. Aside from that, these are black spring, single-stamped grippers, possibly with a blank handle band.

2002-2003, black spring, double-stamped number only, blank handle band

2003-2004, black spring, double-stamped number only, "Captains of Crush" on handle band.

2004-2005, GR8 spring, double-stamped number only, "Captains of Crush" on handle band.

2006-present, GR8 spring, double-stamped, COC stamps on bottom of handles, "Captains of Crush" on handle band.

Still to clarify:

- Silver Crush grippers

- Nature of handle bands 1991-2002

Well if you want the Timeline. It goes like this:

1964-1990: IronMan Grippers made by Warren Tetting, Black Steel Handles with Black Spring.

1990: Simliar to the original IronMan Grippers, Made by Warren Tetting for IronMind, Black Steel Handles with Black Spring.

1991: Made by Warren Tetting for IronMind, Chrome Springs with Silver Steel Handles.

1993: Made by IronMind, Silver Stainless Steel Handles, Black spring, Clear Band around Handles, Single-Stamped on Bottom.

1995: Aluminum Handles, Black Spring, Clear Band around Handles, Single-Stamped on Bottom.

2003: Black Spring, "Capains of Crush" on Band around Handles, Double-Stamped on Bottom.

2005: GR8 Spring, "Captains of Crush" on Band around Handles, Double-Stamped on Bottom.

2006: GR8 Spring, "Captains of Crush" on Band around Handles, Double-Stamped on Bottom with COC.

1990: #1, #2, #3

1992: T, #1, #2, #3

1994: T, #1, #2, #3, #4

2005: G, S, T, #1, #2, #3, #4

2006: G, S, T, #1, #1.5, #2, #2.5, #3, #3.5, #4

Keep in mind, any IronMind Gripper made before 1995 is very rare as the life of those grippers was quite short until Aluminum Handles were introduced.

Edited by DannyGrip

I bet that doesn't have the COC stamps either? I wonder if those were added at the same time?

Is your gripper GR8?

Do you know what year you purchased it?

They weren't - I have a #2 w/lettering in the band, but no COC stamp on the bottom, just the number :)

DannyGrip's timeline is pretty much right on with acouple of exceptions. First the Stainless handle grippers were double-stamped with a clear band, not single-stamped. I still own a #4 and the one that Alawadhi has was bought from me (Man that is one I wish I would have kept). As you can see from Danny's list, the stainless #4 is the first #4 Ironmind made.

The other thing missing in Danny's list is the aluminum handle, double-stamped, clear band from 2002. These came out after the rare single stamped grippers. There is a pic of a #4 still sealed in original package in my gallery along with other rare grippers I sold last year. Double-Stamped #4

That #4 in the package is SOO cool. :cool

I wonder if Ironmind would honor a cert on that gripper....it's still in the package!