[gripper-ratings]?

blueparrot10

Anyone who has owned a PDA Gripper must admit - they were just a knockoff of BB's but with model #'s according to the wire size instead of a nice fancy name like Master, Grand Master, Elite, etc.

Also remember the whole idea of using Aluminum handles for a gripper and not steel handles was the pioneering of IronMind, not Warren Tetting. One of my friends has a T, 1, 2, and 3 from 1995 in which he bought when the COC name was first introduced, I would say the look of those is like today's BB's, only one handle stamped, black spring and a rough look.

Edited by DannyGrip

Anyone who has owned a PDA Gripper must admit - they were just a knockoff of BB's but with model #'s according to the wire size instead of a nice fancy name like Master, Grand Master, Elite, etc.

Also remember the whole idea of using Aluminum handles for a gripper and not steel handles was the pioneering of IronMind, not Warren Tetting. One of my friends has a T, 1, 2, and 3 from 1995 in which he bought when the COC name was first introduced, I would compare the look of those to today's BB's, as that was when IronMind's grippers looked rougher.

You need to do your research. Warren Tetting used to make them for Ironmind...

Also remember the whole idea of using Aluminum handles for a gripper and not steel handles was the pioneering of IronMind, not Warren Tetting. One of my friends has a T, 1, 2, and 3 from 1995 in which he bought when the COC name was first introduced, I would compare the look of those to today's BB's, as that was when IronMind's grippers looked rougher.

I've done all my research. Warren Tetting made them for IronMind from late 1990 to late 1992.

for 6 months Warren was making grippers for IronMind that looked like the classic IronMan grippers w/ black steel handles & black springs, then at the start of 1991 - he was making the same silver crush gripper but w/ just chrome steel handles & silver spring. This lasted for a year and a half and at the end of 1992 - IronMind started making their own steel grippers and stamping them on the bottom according to their #'s and put a clear band around the handles for the last of the silver crush gripper line. In 1995, they replaced the steel handles with aluminum handles and these grippers were named "The Captains of Crush".

IronMind has pioneered the gripper field in many ways. Just remember that when Warren was selling them they never gained popularity and didn't receive a world following like when IronMind brought grippers into their industry.

This is why everyone on here always rates their "other" grippers based on what they compare to w/ the COC's!

DNFTT

CoC's look the best and are the best though you must admit.

The glue you're referring to is the cheap finish one can notice on the made in China Heavy Grips.

Does anyone know if the BeefBuilders handles can be cleaned in the same fashion as CoC's?

They got a hole on each handle, would the liquid go on those if a stainless steel cleaner is used?

I think CoC's are the best - the finish is amazing, they look amazing and feel great.

The BeefBuilders were a must when the half steps on the CoC's weren't around.

The BeefBuilders come in 2nd, the knurling is a bit too rough on the hands when doing a lot of Overcrushes.

GR8 springs look better than the traditional black springs Warren still uses (black residue that would come off on anything it touches & doesn't smell good either).

I'm not so sure. I think Beef Builders look meaner, like a workhorse gripper. The knurling is excellent and I find CoC's to be a bit smooth. The craftsmanship is excellent. I've never had a BB gripper where the bevels didn't match. It's a man's gripper. I personally don't care if my grippers get dirty and beat up. Also, not to mention you can make BB grippers adjustable. I would give up all my grippers, but not my BBs.

Black residue? Bad smell? What are you doing with your grippers? :D

Completely agree.

COC's are starting to go down hill with quality control. Like you I haven't seen any BB grippers where the handles didn't meet at the bevel correctly. Nearly every #3.5 I've seen has had pegged leg.

I've had quite a few BB grippers that were mounted unevenly, especially with Warren getting older his QC is going kinda down hill as well. His quality is still far better than IM however, because there's are made on an assembly line and his are handcrafted, same reason FBBC steel is far superior in look than IM. However the best grippers are Steel handled Tettings, you'll never have a gripper that feels better than a steel handled. Feels like a mans gripper, not one of those other light sissy grippers :D Hahaha but of the mass produced, Tettings are far and away the best grippers in terms of look, feel, consistency, and quality.

CoC's look the best and are the best though you must admit.

The glue you're referring to is the cheap finish one can notice on the made in China Heavy Grips.

Does anyone know if the BeefBuilders handles can be cleaned in the same fashion as CoC's?

They got a hole on each handle, would the liquid go on those if a stainless steel cleaner is used?

I think CoC's are the best - the finish is amazing, they look amazing and feel great.

The BeefBuilders were a must when the half steps on the CoC's weren't around.

The BeefBuilders come in 2nd, the knurling is a bit too rough on the hands when doing a lot of Overcrushes.

GR8 springs look better than the traditional black springs Warren still uses (black residue that would come off on anything it touches & doesn't smell good either).

I'm not so sure. I think Beef Builders look meaner, like a workhorse gripper. The knurling is excellent and I find CoC's to be a bit smooth. The craftsmanship is excellent. I've never had a BB gripper where the bevels didn't match. It's a man's gripper. I personally don't care if my grippers get dirty and beat up. Also, not to mention you can make BB grippers adjustable. I would give up all my grippers, but not my BBs.

Black residue? Bad smell? What are you doing with your grippers? :D

Completely agree.

COC's are starting to go down hill with quality control. Like you I haven't seen any BB grippers where the handles didn't meet at the bevel correctly. Nearly every #3.5 I've seen has had pegged leg.

I've had quite a few BB grippers that were mounted unevenly, especially with Warren getting older his QC is going kinda down hill as well. His quality is still far better than IM however, because there's are made on an assembly line and his are handcrafted, same reason FBBC steel is far superior in look than IM. However the best grippers are Steel handled Tettings, you'll never have a gripper that feels better than a steel handled. Feels like a mans gripper, not one of those other light sissy grippers :D Hahaha but of the mass produced, Tettings are far and away the best grippers in terms of look, feel, consistency, and quality.

I've read that Warren Tetting is around 75 years old right now or so, does anyone know exactly how old he is?

Is he passing his tradition to anyone else or will his grippers just be a piece of history in the future?

Is the phone # listed on here his direct #?

I'd love to chat with a person like him who knows so much and has experience like no other!

I've read that Warren Tetting is around 75 years old right now or so, does anyone know exactly how old he is?

Is he passing his tradition to anyone else or will his grippers just be a piece of history in the future?

Is the phone # listed on here his direct #?

I'd love to chat with a person like him who knows so much and has experience like no other!

It's his direct number.

BB - feels great in the hands. good quality.

COC - they're COCs.

HG - yeah they're cheap in a lot of ways, but you can do a lot with them

RB - good quality, but i really don't like the feel. i have one and wouldn't buy another.

I found a previous topic relating to this:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtop...t=0&start=0

As you can see COC's edged out all the others by a huge margin.

About the knurling on the 2006 COC Grippers being too smooth -

All the new COC Grippers (From late 2007 to Present) have consistent & improved knurling!

My new #3s knurling is sharper than Luke's, but still nowhere near the BBs.

I found a previous topic relating to this:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtop...t=0&start=0

As you can see COC's edged out all the others by a huge margin.

About the knurling on the 2006 COC Grippers being too smooth -

All the new COC Grippers (From late 2007 to Present) have consistent & improved knurling!

My new #3s knurling is sharper than Luke's, but still nowhere near the BBs.

Who needs it that sharp? The BeefBuilders leave red marks on your palm, is there any advantage of getting this while training?

My old COC's are harder to train on because they slip in the hands, some have smoother knurling.

But EVERY single COC that I got from around June 2007 and onward has had great knurling and no problems keeping in place while repping.

I believe the way to tell the difference if you have the late 2006-early 2007 (w/ COC on bottom & GR8 Spring) between the latest 2007-2009 (w/ COC on bottom & GR8 Spring - w/ better knurling) is by just holding the gripper and looking at the band.

If the bands read Captains/Captains when holding on one side and Crush/Crush when holding on the other side then you have the late 2006-early 2007 model. But if the bands on the handles read Captains/Crush on both sides then you have the latest model available which would have the consistent knurling. Also, you can notice the slight color shade difference in the handles between the two.

COC's are definately the best and the variation that exists in some people's minds has more to do with the elements of when & how they were training. Also the knurling & handles of when the gripper was manufactured. I have tried a 1995 #2 and I would say it felt just as hard as a 2006 #2 or a 2009 #2, only difference was how the gripper felt on the hand (knurling/handles). Dr. Strossen admits that the early silver crush grippers from late 1990-late 1992 had variation in strength, handle spread, etc. These were actually made by Warren Tetting, not IronMind. The 2nd generation of Silver Crush grippers being manufactured by IronMind in 1993-1994 had improvements, but the Captains of Crush line of 1995 to today has been very consistent.

Edited by DannyGrip

sharp grippers are good. feels less sweatty and slick.

Yeah, I've never gotten red marks on my palm. You've just gotta get used to the knurling. Usually after people have been

training for a while and their skin toughens up, the BBs knurling doesn't bother them.

COC's are definately the best and the variation that exists in some people's minds has more to do with the elements of when & how they were training.

http://p2.foorumi.info/rautakoura/viewtopi...t=9&start=0

You'll see a 141lb #3, and you'll also notice a 172lb #3. That's a 31lb difference...2.78 vs. 3.38 :blink

Now you'll see a 3.25 #3.5...scroll down a bit and you'll notice a 3.68 #3.5.

Right there is a #3 that's 7lb harder than a #3.5.

Looks at the #4s. You've got a 3.86 #4 all the way up to a 4.41.

And, with all those grippers, there's every combination of strengths in between. All grippers vary.

Frank, Aaron has a 138 #3 too and I'm pretty sure I've heard of someone with a 135 or something like that. All grippers vary. I've seen a 159 Elite and one that was around 184. I have 4 #3s which go from 145 to one around 159-160 and the new one's knurling is way crappier then my 3 double stamps, the new one is the easiest btw. Me and Aaron both have #3.5s that are in the upper 160s and I just got one that's probably easily upper 170s - lower 180s. And Frank there are #4s WAYYY easier then that 3.86 200.88 one out there. There is a 190 of someones (maybe Josh Dale?) and I have a feeling Aaron's new #4 grippers are in that same vicinity.

Danny I'm not sure if you work for IM or what but you could at least try to be unbiased in your statements.

Edited by vikingsrule92

Frank, Aaron has a 138 #3 too and I'm pretty sure I've heard of someone with a 135 or something like that. All grippers vary. I've seen a 159 Elite and one that was around 184. I have 4 #3s which go from 145 to one around 159-160 and the new one's knurling is way crappier then my 3 double stamps, the new one is the easiest btw. Me and Aaron both have #3.5s that are in the upper 160s and I just got one that's probably easily upper 170s - lower 180s. And Frank there are #4s WAYYY easier then that 3.86 200.88 one out there. There is a 190 of someones (maybe Josh Dale?) and I have a feeling Aaron's new #4 grippers are in that same vicinity.

Danny I'm not sure if you work for IM or what but you could at least try to be unbiased in your statements.

Craaaaaaaap :blink

How do you get these ratings?

I thought the #3 was around 280 lbs or so, why are the #'s here about half that?

From my own experience, every COC gripper I've tried has felt about the same. Nothing that can really make a difference while training, even if it was a few lbs. off. I can't speak on BeefBuilder grippers because I haven't owned many. Maybe those vary or maybe they were changed by the batch to be harder or easier.

Bottom line is: look at Gabriel Sum, doesn't make any excuses about variation in grippers or what not, and just closes any #3.5 you'd give him that was made. If I can close one particular gripper # then I can close any other of the same #. I tried that w/ the #2 when I was just closing it and had about 7 diff #2's all shut - some from 1995, some from 2006, and recent ones as well.

Edited by DannyGrip

Frank, Aaron has a 138 #3 too and I'm pretty sure I've heard of someone with a 135 or something like that. All grippers vary. I've seen a 159 Elite and one that was around 184. I have 4 #3s which go from 145 to one around 159-160 and the new one's knurling is way crappier then my 3 double stamps, the new one is the easiest btw. Me and Aaron both have #3.5s that are in the upper 160s and I just got one that's probably easily upper 170s - lower 180s. And Frank there are #4s WAYYY easier then that 3.86 200.88 one out there. There is a 190 of someones (maybe Josh Dale?) and I have a feeling Aaron's new #4 grippers are in that same vicinity. Danny I'm not sure if you work for IM or what but you could at least try to be unbiased in your statements.

Dave and Greg should just give me this gripper as much as I get accused of owning it :D . This gripper is not mine, nor has it ever been. It was Dave's gripper at the time of it being closed and I believe he gave it to Greg at some point. I DO own a 195# #4 and Chad is the only person I've seen close it although Paul Knight was very close and would no doubt close it now. The 3.86 doesn't mean a thing because it's based off of what whomever decided was an "average" #4, an average that seems to go up every year according to some folks :rolleyes .

Edited by jad

I thought the #3 was around 280 lbs or so, why are the #'s here about half that?

You can't go by IMs rating...or anybody else's for that matter. The true poundage is taken on the first inch of the handle on the gripper on the RGC.

Here's Matti doing a hard #4:

My fav is BB, followed by COCs. I've not owned a RB and the HG I own I can't stand the feel of.

Tim

From my own experience, every COC gripper I've tried has felt about the same. Nothing that can really make a difference while training, even if it was a few lbs. off. I can't speak on BeefBuilder grippers because I haven't owned many. Maybe those vary or maybe they were changed by the batch to be harder or easier.

Bottom line is: look at Gabriel Sum, doesn't make any excuses about variation in grippers or what not, and just closes any #3.5 you'd give him that was made. If I can close one particular gripper # then I can close any other of the same #. I tried that w/ the #2 when I was just closing it and had about 7 diff #2's all shut - some from 1995, some from 2006, and recent ones as well.

Just because someone can say close a Coc #3 doesn't mean they can close any #3. If the #3 you can close happens to be a easier one and that is close to a max close and someone hands you a really hard one you will probably not be able to close it.

I apologise in advance to all the members of the board because of the similar post you'll be getting every time someone defends how incredibly consistant IM grippers are.

Regardless of the poundages, if IM grippers are so consistant, why do I own a 2005 #3 with a 3.45" spread?

I was told it was wide when I bought it of Soilworker, but when you see it in person next to a 2.75" spread gripper, it looks ridiculous. And I can guaran-damn-tee it does NOT feel about the same as an average spread gripper and it does "really make a difference while training".

I apologise in advance to all the members of the board because of the similar post you'll be getting every time someone defends how incredibly consistant IM grippers are.

Regardless of the poundages, if IM grippers are so consistant, why do I own a 2005 #3 with a 3.45" spread?

I was told it was wide when I bought it of Soilworker, but when you see it in person next to a 2.75" spread gripper, it looks ridiculous. And I can guaran-damn-tee it does NOT feel about the same as an average spread gripper and it does "really make a difference while training".

I don't think IronMind makes a 2.75" spread on a #3 Gripper to begin with. Even if you grab a #1.5 Gripper, the spread is most likely 2.85", It's either the Trainer or the #1 that has the 2.75" spread. As the levels go up, the spread gets wider. Ok maybe there were some inconsistencies in the past, but today's COC's are perfected! Anyone who holds a COC in their hand can see the outstanding quality and craftmanship in the design. COC vs. BeefBuilder = COC wins by a landslide, BB's are too tough on the hands, don't have the look nor feel like the COC. Don't get me wrong, I hold high respect for Warren as he is the creator of heavy-duty grippers, but COC's have completely took grippers to a new level. Funny how PDA tried claiming that COC's weren't consistent, but all the PDA grippers that were sold were actually made by Warren Tetting, the same person to make early IronMind grippers that PDA used as an example of inconsistent grippers.

Edited by DannyGrip

Guys, this guy is a troll who frankly needs to be banned. Don't waste your time using logic and intelligence on him because he will defend COC grippers to death no matter the evidence presented before him that he is clearly and utterly wrong. Please don't waste any more time on him.

I don't think IronMind makes a 2.75" spread on a #3 Gripper to begin with. Even if you grab a #1.5 Gripper, the spread is most likely 2.85", It's either the Trainer or the #1 that has the 2.75" spread.

There is no set spread for any gripper. A #1 may not necessarily have 2.75" spread, a #3 may have a 3" spread,

and a #4 could have a 2.85" spread. The spreads don't purposely get wider as the grippers get harder.

Ok maybe there were some inconsistencies in the past, but today's COC's are perfected!

I'll say it one more time.

http://p2.foorumi.info/rautakoura/viewtopi...t=9&start=0

You'll see a 141lb #3, and you'll also notice a 172lb #3. That's a 31lb difference...2.78 vs. 3.38 :blink

On top of that, you've got the mid-130s #3s Derek mentioned.

Now you'll see a 3.25 #3.5...scroll down a bit and you'll notice a 3.68 #3.5.

Right there is a #3 that's 7lb harder than a #3.5.

Look at the #4s. You've got a 3.86 #4 all the way up to a 4.41.

And, with all those grippers, there's every combination of strengths in between. All grippers vary.

Anyone who holds a COC in their hand can see the outstanding quality and craftmanship in the design. COC vs. BeefBuilder = COC wins by a landslide

HOW? Because they've got GR8 springs? A pretty gripper does not mean a better gripper. In that case, RBs are hands-down the best because every gripper's an art piece. Beefbuilders are still beautiful grippers. Okay, the springs

aren't GR8, but they're every bit as high-quality as the CoCs, and have training advantages over CoCs.

Beefbuilders are the best.

Bottom line is: look at Gabriel Sum, doesn't make any excuses about variation in grippers or what not, and just closes any #3.5 you'd give him that was made.

Now your contradicting yourself. Anyway, nobody's making excuses for not closing grippers, just merely pointing out that

ALL grippers vary.

Edited by Magnus