[gripper-ratings]?

blueparrot10

how would you (rate)-each [brand-gripper]-starting with the [best-first] - going down to your least-favourite brand? the brands in question are:[captains of crush],[robert barabans],heavy-grips],beefbuilders]? coc's,hg's,bb's,bb's.? from best to worse-(ratings)?

A name like 'search grip' posting in the FAQ yet you've not noticed the gripper ratings FAQ??

Im guessing your asking what brands we like personally.

COC

BB

RB

HG

Thats my list.

If that is the case...

CoC - they feel the best to me.

RB - I like the variety of in between grippers, especially with the narrow spread.

BB - I have limited experience with them, but the ones I've seen/tried seem fine.

HG - Poor knurling, odd feel at close...basically I hate them with a passion.

BB - the best hands down.

CoC - close second.

RB - nice looking, good knurling, but more variation and huge loss of strength.

HG

I have always liked RBs and CoCs best. these are mainly what i use in my gripper sessions. BBs are a bit sharply knurled for my current routine (i train often, with high volume so these have caused tears in the past) and HGs vary too much and season too much for my liking.

COC

BB

RB

HG

Thats my list.

hi chris,[thanks for your ratings],i really like the (look)-of the [barabans],but you think [coc]-are (better)? im about to start buying my grippers,chris,therefor-its really-great to get the oppinion of people who have used various-brands,who know these grippers! so-overall-you say [coc]-are (the-best)-then? thanks very much chris. (appreciate-it)!

• 1 month later...

RB Grippers are works of art as well as great grippers. COC's are the classics, so you will want some of them, My Vulcan Gripper is easily the most used of all my collection, however. For what you are actually trying to do-which is advance your grip strength and crushing power-it has been the best, and most cost effective because of the progression it allows for. I also like my John Brookfield gripper, with it's extension handles allows you to do some unique training.

BB Tetting grippers are top notch

then Rb and COC grippers

all of these brands are great though, cant go wrong with either one

BB

pros: cheese grader knurling, highly customizable via Aaron Corcorran, Warren can make you any gripper you want and if he screws it up his customer service is outstanding, overall has the toughest closes if that's your thing

Cons: last couple I've had lost some spread, strengths seem to be inconsistent as of late

CoC

Pro's: excellent customer service through IM, ;minimal to no loss of spread, overall, most evenly spread workload through sweep and close

Cons: Knurling not as sharp as I like and like every other gripper, they vary a ton

RB

pros: beatiful grippers, almost too pretty to workout with, my favorite knurling, overall has the toughest sweeps if that's your thing

cons: probably the worst as far as variationf

HG: better than a sportinggoods store gripper but really not on the same level with the above as far as quality. Wouldn't buy or trade for, only if given to me

No. 1 B.B. excellent

No.2 C.O.C. very good

No. 3 R.B. for collecting more than using

Heavy Grips I have nothing good to say about.

• 2 weeks later...

heavy grips.......hahahhaha, such flattering reviews

yep, beefbuilder and the coc, I am not into artistic grippers.

I will likely get a bb sa to alternate with my coc 1.5

• 9 months later...

There is one thing that I have noticed with the HG's Vs the COC's, is that I have heard peopele say that the #3 is about as hard as the HG350, the #2.5 is about as hard as the hg300. With my HG's the HG 250 is close to the 2 (maybe a little harder) and the HG 300 is litterally almost as tough as the 3.5. Its MUCH harder than the #3. I know this is a little off topic, but what do you guiys think? Are the HG's not all the same? Do they mess up with rating them or something?

There is one thing that I have noticed with the HG's Vs the COC's, is that I have heard peopele say that the #3 is about as hard as the HG350, the #2.5 is about as hard as the hg300. With my HG's the HG 250 is close to the 2 (maybe a little harder) and the HG 300 is litterally almost as tough as the 3.5. Its MUCH harder than the #3. I know this is a little off topic, but what do you guiys think? Are the HG's not all the same? Do they mess up with rating them or something?

HGs are all over the place, pretty much to the point of any two of the same being incomparable, but it seems like the newer ones are harder. My 250 was harder than a #2 before I remounted it (now around ~2.3), and my 300 was 3.17...seems like most people who get the newer 300s say they're around a #3. My 350 is 3.31, but very spongy. Sweep feels way easier than a #3, but at around 1" to the close, it really starts getting hard.

HGs are all over the place, pretty much to the point of any two of the same being incomparable, but it seems like the newer ones are harder. My 250 was harder than a #2 before I remounted it (now around ~2.3), and my 300 was 3.17...seems like most people who get the newer 300s say they're around a #3. My 350 is 3.31, but very spongy. Sweep feels way easier than a #3, but at around 1" to the close, it really starts getting hard.

Yes the strength isn't even throughout the close. Why would anyone want to train w/ that?

Keep in mind that you're HG300 might feel harder than a #3 now, have it closed a few times either with one or two hands and you will suddenly feel the strength going down on it. The HG's season very well to the point that your HG300 will end up feeling like an HG250 after a bunch of squeezes. If you want quality and something reliable - just stick to CoC. I think it's better to do that than constantly compare how other grippers feel next to CoC's. Funny how people on here rate it 3.31 or 3.17 or sometimes even 3.112456 - how the hell does anyone come up w/ these #'s? Hahahaha, I can understand 3.1, 3.2, or 3.4.

Yes the strength isn't even throughout the close. Why would anyone want to train w/ that?

Keep in mind that you're HG300 might feel harder than a #3 now, have it closed a few times either with one or two hands and you will suddenly feel the strength going down on it. The HG's season very well to the point that your HG300 will end up feeling like an HG250 after a bunch of squeezes. If you want quality and something reliable - just stick to CoC. I think it's better to do that than constantly compare how other grippers feel next to CoC's.

No, those are the post-seasoned ratings. They even were harder than that when they were new.

Funny how people on here rate it 3.31 or 3.17 or sometimes even 3.112456 - how the hell does anyone come up w/ these #'s? Hahahaha, I can understand 3.1, 3.2, or 3.4.

There's a reason for those ratings. There's a big difference between a 3.3 gripper and a 3.38 gripper. That 0.08 is over 4lb difference on the RGC, and when you're at those levels, that's significant. And nobody's ever posted "3.112456" unless they're kidding.

Edited by Magnus

Warren Tetting's grippers are my favorite hands down.

Mighty Joe

No. 1 B.B. excellent

No.2 C.O.C. very good

Ditto.

BB have excellent construction; no glue. I love how the springs are pined to the handle. The knurling is a bit sharp, but I don't mind.

Warren Tetting's grippers are my favorite hands down.

Mighty Joe

More dittos.

The best there is :rock

No. 1 B.B. excellent

No.2 C.O.C. very good

Ditto.

BB have excellent construction; no glue. I love how the springs are pined to the handle. The knurling is a bit sharp, but I don't mind.

CoC's look the best and are the best though you must admit.

The glue you're referring to is the cheap finish one can notice on the made in China Heavy Grips.

Does anyone know if the BeefBuilders handles can be cleaned in the same fashion as CoC's?

They got a hole on each handle, would the liquid go on those if a stainless steel cleaner is used?

I think CoC's are the best - the finish is amazing, they look amazing and feel great.

The BeefBuilders were a must when the half steps on the CoC's weren't around.

The BeefBuilders come in 2nd, the knurling is a bit too rough on the hands when doing a lot of Overcrushes.

GR8 springs look better than the traditional black springs Warren still uses (black residue that would come off on anything it touches & doesn't smell good either).

Edited by DannyGrip

The glue you're referring to is the cheap finish one can notice on the made in China Heavy Grips.

Does anyone know if the BeefBuilders handles can be cleaned in the same fashion as CoC's?

They got a hole on each handle, would the liquid go on those if a stainless steel cleaner is used?

I think CoC's are the best - the finish is amazing, they look amazing and feel great.

The BeefBuilders come in 2nd, the knurling is a bit too rough on the hands when doing a lot of Overcrushes.

GR8 springs look better than the traditional black springs Warren still uses (black residue that would come off on anything it touches & doesn't smell good either).

I'm not so sure. I think Beef Builders look meaner, like a workhorse gripper. The knurling is excellent and I find CoC's to be a bit smooth. The craftsmanship is excellent. I've never had a BB gripper where the bevels didn't match. It's a man's gripper. I personally don't care if my grippers get dirty and beat up. Also, not to mention you can make BB grippers adjustable. I would give up all my grippers, but not my BBs.

Black residue? Bad smell? What are you doing with your grippers? :D

I'm not so sure. I think Beef Builders look meaner, like a workhorse gripper. The knurling is excellent and I find CoC's to be a bit smooth. The craftsmanship is excellent. I've never had a BB gripper where the bevels didn't match. It's a man's gripper. I personally don't care if my grippers get dirty and beat up. Also, not to mention you can make BB grippers adjustable. I would give up all my grippers, but not my BBs.

Completely agree.

COC's are starting to go down hill with quality control. Like you I haven't seen any BB grippers where the handles didn't meet at the bevel correctly. Nearly every #3.5 I've seen has had pegged leg.

Completely agree.

COC's are starting to go down hill with quality control. Like you I haven't seen any BB grippers where the handles didn't meet at the bevel correctly. Nearly every #3.5 I've seen has had pegged leg.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as pegged leg. Is that when the handles don't touch completely even on the close? I've only witnessed that from Heavy Grips, never from COC's.

When you store your grippers in a closet or a draw (because having them out in the open leaves you wanting to grab them each time or sometimes kids that aren't suppose to grab them do), BB's aren't practical because of the smell and that the spring comes dirty from Warren's shop. Also, I'm sure you've noticed that the BB's leave sparkles on the hands when you train w/ them. Looks like some of the knurling is actually coming off on your hands. Don't get me wrong on what I'm saying, they are amazing grippers for sure, but for the average person - the COC's are more practical - look & feel. If you're going by look, the COC's are top notch, if you're going by feel - each has their advantage to certain people. Overall quality for training, they both are just great. It's amazing how Warren has kept the basic look of 1964 even on today's grippers. Obviously quality, feel, strength control, durability and others have dramatically improved.

Edited by DannyGrip

Completely agree.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as pegged leg. Is that when the handles don't touch completely even on the close? I've only witnessed that from Heavy Grips, never from COC's.

When you store your grippers in a closet or a draw (because having them out in the open leaves you wanting to grab them each time or sometimes kids that aren't suppose to grab them do), BB's aren't practical because of the smell and that the spring comes dirty from Warren's shop. Also, I'm sure you've noticed that the BB's leave sparkles on the hands when you train w/ them. Looks like some of the knurling is actually coming off on your hands. Don't get me wrong on what I'm saying, they are amazing grippers for sure, but for the average person - the COC's are more practical - look & feel. If you're going by look, the COC's are top notch, if you're going by feel - each has their advantage to certain people. Overall quality for training, they both are just great. It's amazing how Warren has kept the basic look of 1964 even on today's grippers. Obviously quality, feel, strength control, durability and others have dramatically improved.

I've seen more than a few COC grippers with one handle mounted closer to the spring than the other(pegged leg).

If you want the best looking grippers, RB is what you want, not COC.

Edited by lukeamdman