The Third Annual Show Of Hands Grip Cup

EricMilfeld

We have another competitor joining us: Joe Musselwhite, former professional arm wrestler. :rock

Updated List:

Matt Chips

Mike Hadland

Russ Hadland

me

Jason Williams

Aaron Corcorran

Robert Alva

T-dog

Jeremiah Fox

John Renfroe

Greg Griffin

Joe Musselwhite

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• com202

• climber511

• Paul Knight

Guest NailBender
This just gave me the reason I needed to start hitting grip hard again (and restart posting on this board). Plus, I live in Lewisville so it will be an easy drive. Count me in. Haven't participated in any grip-type stuff since right after the Massachusetts State Strongman Championship 2005 with the Diesel Crew. I won't place or even be able to complete all of the lifts but it will be a hell of a good time and a good motivation to start training my hands hard again.

John, this is great news! I look forward to meeting you.

I'd like to have a meetup with some of the contestants before the contest for some fun training. Anyone interested?

So far the following have expressed an interest in competing:

Matt Chipps (Matt, is Keith going to compete?)

Mike Hadland

Russ Hadland

me

Jason Williams

Aaron Corcorran

Robert Alva

T-dog

Am I missing anyone? My garage isn't big. I may have to remodel or something. :rock

NailBender (Joe Musselwhite) will be there. I'm brand new to bending but the experience will be priceless. Look forward to meeting everyone.

We have another sponsor: The Gripboard

It's a site that discusses all things grip.

• 2 weeks later...

The following have paid their entry fee:

1) Jeremiah Fox

2) Joe Musselwhite

3) Greg Griffin

Guys, a "problem" is starting to develop. A good problem, though. In the last two days three more prospective competitors have expressed an interest. I may need to limit the number at some point, in which case those who have paid the entry fee will reserve a spot. I guess I could find another location, but I'm not sure if I want to do that yet.

The possibility of me being there is looking slim.

I sprained a knee at work moving a body. Which means I have to put more weight on my other foot, which makes the wound on that foot hurt. :whacked

My Chief suddenly quit and I'm hearing that another supervisor is talking about leaving. One supervisor is at school and another Officer is at school.

Also, we're supposed to do firearms qualifications in April and I have court the same week.

I still haven't been approved for the vacation either and they've had my request since before december.

We'll see.

The possibility of me being there is looking slim.

I sprained a knee at work moving a body. Which means I have to put more weight on my other foot, which makes the wound on that foot hurt. :whacked

My Chief suddenly quit and I'm hearing that another supervisor is talking about leaving. One supervisor is at school and another Officer is at school.

Also, we're supposed to do firearms qualifications in April and I have court the same week.

I still haven't been approved for the vacation either and they've had my request since before december.

We'll see.

Slim is right, Jason. We'll surely miss you if you can't make it.

This just gave me the reason I needed to start hitting grip hard again (and restart posting on this board). Plus, I live in Lewisville so it will be an easy drive. Count me in. Haven't participated in any grip-type stuff since right after the Massachusetts State Strongman Championship 2005 with the Diesel Crew. I won't place or even be able to complete all of the lifts but it will be a hell of a good time and a good motivation to start training my hands hard again.

I'd like to have a meetup with some of the contestants before the contest for some fun training. Anyone interested?

Mike Hadland

Russ Hadland

me

Jason Williams

Aaron Corcorran

Robert Alva

T-dog

Am I missing anyone? My garage isn't big. I may have to remodel or something. :rock

If you can make room, I'll be there w/bells on! I'll pay this Sat. when we train.

Edited by Paul Knight

Mike Hadland

Russ Hadland

me

Jason Williams

Aaron Corcorran

Robert Alva

T-dog

If you can make room, I'll be there w/bells on! I'll pay this Sat. when we train.

Fantastic, Paul!

Here's the updated list:

Matt Chips

Mike Hadland

Russ Hadland

me

Jason Williams

Aaron Corcorran

Robert Alva

T-dog

Jeremiah Fox

John Renfroe

Greg Griffin

Joe Musselwhite

Paul Knight

I'm very pleased to have Paul Knight joining us. Here's the latest list:

Matt Chips

Mike Hadland

me

Aaron Corcorran

Robert Alva

T-dog

Jeremiah Fox

Casey Emery

Greg Griffin

Joe Musselwhite

Shane Musselwhite

Paul Knight

Tommy Duncan

The following have paid the entry fee:

Joe Musselwhite

Robert Alva

Greg Griffin

Jeremiah Fox

Mike Hadland

Aaron Corcorran

Paul Knight

Shane Musselwhite

Tommy Duncan

Casey Emery

Courtesy of Joe Musselwhite, there will be a table available to cause tremendous pain in your elbow, I mean there will be an arm wrestling table setup for post contest fun. I've never used one before, and have only arm wrestled twice in my life, but Paul and I were talking on the phone tonight about it, and we both agree it hurts! Joe, how do you make it not hurt? :D I'm excited about it, actually, and look forward to learning as much as I can from Joe.

Eric,

Is there room for another ? I talked to my boss and I took that day off. Also, how do I pay w\ paypal?

cost of entry : $ 20

loss of overtime: $ 100

fuel for travel: $ 2

wife complaining: 1 headache

not placing in the contest: my pride

experience gained from being there: priceless !!!

Eric,

Is there room for another ? I talked to my boss and I took that day off. Also, how do I pay w\ paypal?

That's classic, Casey. :laugh

And I'm very pleased to hear you can make it. I think everyone learns at least a little something in a contest setting.

Eric,

Thats the funniest thing I've ever heard! Lol

Well, it happened. The April schedule is out and I didn't get the time off. Too much happening here.

It is VERY DISAPPOINTING. I was hoping to see some friends and meet some new ones. It's gonna be an unbelievable competition.

Best of luck to all.

Well, it happened. The April schedule is out and I didn't get the time off. Too much happening here.

It is VERY DISAPPOINTING. I was hoping to see some friends and meet some new ones. It's gonna be an unbelievable competition.

Best of luck to all.

Dang. I'm sorry I won't be able to see you this year, Jason.

Based on the entry fees that have been received, this is our lineup of competitors. Possibly one or two more may be joining us. I'm very pleased with the turnout this year:

Joe Musselwhite

Robert Alva

Greg Griffin

Jeremiah Fox

Mike Hadland

Aaron Corcorran

Paul Knight

Shane Musselwhite

Tommy Duncan

Casey Emery

me

Wow, what a turnout!!!!! Can't believe how excited I am about meeting you guys :rock:rock

I am planning on using one of my bends to Set the Bar for The Double Underhanded American Record. It should be a decent bend. Or will one of you other DU Bruts Jeremiah, Aaron, Ben, Matt or a newer guy Set it :rock:rock:D:calm

Anyone have the paypal info?

Also BooYah, I doubt it will be me settting any record. But it will be fun to watch someone else do it

Sponsored by Fat Bastard Barbell Co. and The Gripboard

WHEN: Saturday, April 19th, 2008

WHERE: My garage in Fort Worth, Texas, ya'll!

START TIME: 11:00 AM Central Time

COST: $20, payable by check, cash, or Pay Pal

ENTRY DEADLINE: April 1, 2008

LIFTS IN ORDER OF PERFORMANCE:

Euro Pinch

-Standard rules apply.

Grippers

-Calibrated and choked to parallel grippers will be contested. Use whichever hand you prefer.

2" FBBC V-bar

-Standard rules apply. Both hands will be contested.

Freestyle Bending

-Calibrated 6" stock will be contested with standard rules and a 5 minute time limit. Multiple contestants will bend simultaneously. Following are some of the stocks that will be available:

60D = 325

"JH" 1/4" grade 5 = 385

"triangle" 1/4" grade 8 = 475

5/16" crs = 555

5/16" crs = 595

section of Griprite 70D = 670

"JH" "FNL" 5/16" grade 5 = 685

"W.T" 5/16" grade 5 = 715

"linear S" 5/16" grade 5 = 745

3/8" crs = 830

The Milfeld Mega Medley

-A 5 minute time limit will be given to complete the following feats in any order:

1)#10 hammer lever to head: 8 points

2)#16 hammer lever to head: 14 points

3)#12 hammer front lever with 13" grip, lifting from floor to standing position maintaining parallel hammer: 8 points

4)#12 hammer front lever with 16" grip, lifting from floor to standing position maintaining parallel hammer: 14 points

5)tear a deck of Bicycles: 12 points

6)tear a deck of easy cards: 10 points

7)break a spiral 60D nail: 10 points

8)lift the Blob50: 14 points

9)lift a #65 1.5" wooden pinch block with one hand: 12 points

10)key pinch (thumb opposing the side of your curled forefinger) and curl two #10 olympic plates: 11 points

11)hub lift a #25 plate with a shallow and wide hub: 11 points

12)#110 3/8" v-bar: 8 points

13)no-set a #1 gripper: 8 points

14)no-set a #2 gripper: 13 points

15)bottle cap crush between the last sections of your forefinger and thumb (Jan Todd style): 10 points

16)FBBC 2.5" Crusher lift with #120: 7 points

17)loadable 2.5" dumbbell lift with #150: 14 points

18)The Humbler's Cousin (lift from the floor a #10 dumbblell placed over the 2nd knuckle of your middle finger to a 2.5"

platform [your other three straightened fingers will help to support the dumbbell handle]): 8 points

SCORING: Four attempts will be allowed on all events, except for the medley, for which only one attempt will be given. The rounds system will be used. Contestants will be allowed to drop down on weight on successive attempts. A combined poundage total will be used for scoring. Here's how your total will be determined:

Euro Pinch: Multiply weight lifted by ".9" to figure poundage.

Grippers: The calibration rating is your poundage.

V-bar: Multiply the total of your left and right hand lifts by ".4" to figure poundage.

Bending: Multiply the calibration rating of your stock by ".3" to figure poundage.

Medley: The total points accumulated is your poundage.

The total poundage from all your events will determine placement in the contest.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

I will provide either pizza or barbecue, bottled water and beer. Trophies will be awarded for at least 1st through 3rd place. The weights on the Euro Pinch and the FBBC 2" v-bar will be calibrated.

Haven't seen any predictions on this so I'll throw mine up..

grippers: Aaron, although with grippers being second (I expected more out of Texas), I don't think he'll hit his potential

europinch: Eric although if his set-up is more seasoned than Aaron's, Aaron could upset on this one

2"Vbar: Aaron, although I'm not sure what his offhand is like and the offhand will likely be the xfactor between him and Eric on this one

Bending: given his Big G8, gotta go with Aaron on this one

Medley: too close to call as I don't see anything in there slowing Eric or Aaron down other than that 150# 2.5"db. Whoever runs an error-free medley will win imo. Slight edge to Eric with the homecourt advantage.

Haven't seen any predictions on this so I'll throw mine up..

grippers: Aaron, although with grippers being second (I expected more out of Texas), I don't think he'll hit his potential

europinch: Eric although if his set-up is more seasoned than Aaron's, Aaron could upset on this one

2"Vbar: Aaron, although I'm not sure what his offhand is like and the offhand will likely be the xfactor between him and Eric on this one

Bending: given his Big G8, gotta go with Aaron on this one

Medley: too close to call as I don't see anything in there slowing Eric or Aaron down other than that 150# 2.5"db. Whoever runs an error-free medley will win imo. Slight edge to Eric with the homecourt advantage.

hehe,

I hope grippers go well, doing the MM4 cert either before or during the contest so I dont expect to get my top number in the contest. would be nice to get a good close though.

Euro - I think Eric is gonna get me on this one.

2" vbar - my offhand is weak as hell. I've never pulled more than 205 on it and cant seem to get any increases no matter how I train it.

Medley - my concerns are the cards since I have yet to tear a full deck. I know its gotta be a technique thing but I just havent found it yet. that big dumbell will be a challenge too.

Bending - with at least 4 of the top benders in this contest its anybodies game. I've barely bent anything since az grip. trying to get rid of pain in the pec still. So I really have no idea what I'm gonna be able to bend there. I wont know til warmups just like the last 2 comps I've done.

I think it will be a close contest all the way thru. Eric will prolly win, but I will give it my best.

- Aaron

Here's the final list of competitors, with Matt Chips definitely on board:

Joe Musselwhite

Robert Alva

Greg Griffin

Jeremiah Fox

Mike Hadland

Aaron Corcorran

Paul Knight

Shane Musselwhite

Tommy Duncan

Casey Emery

me

Matt Chips

Aaron and Josh, you guys are either being too nice or you're over estimating my abilities. Hands down, no questions asked, Acorn is the man! He's at least 20 pounds (calibration rating) stronger on grippers. He'll destroy me on bending. My best double overhand ability is over a year behind me now as I've lost weight, and Aaron has beat that figure by nearly a hundred pounds. I predict I'll place fourth in bending. Pinch could go either way. It just depends on who is having a good day. Aaron will probably finish the whole medley, whereas I have yet to get that more difficult front lever in the medley. But all of this is one of the reasons I'm thrilled to have Aaron joining us. He'll keep me humble, teach me a few things, and keep me on my toes. :rock

Mike, a new American Record has a nice ring to it! :bow

Wow, what a turnout!!!!! Can't believe how excited I am about meeting you guys :rock:rock

I am planning on using one of my bends to Set the Bar for The Double Underhanded American Record. It should be a decent bend. Or will one of you other DU Bruts Jeremiah, Aaron, Ben, Matt or a newer guy Set it :rock:rock:D:calm

Best of strength on that American record DU bend Mike! It's yours for sure man. I haven't bent any DU since the Big Hex in November that injured me for the final time. Looking forward to seeing what you take on!

wont be me on DU. my best DU bend is a 60d. that style kills my bad wrist. Good luck to you Mike, I hope you get it!

- Aaron