The Third Annual Show Of Hands Grip Cup

EricMilfeld

Sponsored by Fat Bastard Barbell Co., The Gripboard, braced bending extraordinaire, Tim Tolbert, and "Mistrass".

WHEN: Saturday, April 19th, 2008

WHERE: My garage in Fort Worth, Texas, ya'll!

START TIME: 11:00 AM Central Time

COST: $20, payable by check, cash, or Pay Pal

ENTRY DEADLINE: April 1, 2008

LIFTS IN ORDER OF PERFORMANCE:

Euro Pinch

-Standard rules apply.

Grippers

-Calibrated and choked to parallel grippers will be contested. Use whichever hand you prefer.

2" FBBC V-bar

-Standard rules apply. Both hands will be contested.

Freestyle Bending

-Calibrated 6" stock will be contested with standard rules and a 5 minute time limit. Multiple contestants will bend simultaneously. Following are some of the stocks that will be available:

60D = 325

"JH" 1/4" grade 5 = 385

"triangle" 1/4" grade 8 = 475

5/16" crs = 555

5/16" crs = 595

section of Griprite 70D = 670

"JH" "FNL" 5/16" grade 5 = 685

"W.T" 5/16" grade 5 = 715

"linear S" 5/16" grade 5 = 745

3/8" crs = 830

The Milfeld Mega Medley

-A 5 minute time limit will be given to complete the following feats in any order:

1)#10 hammer lever to head: 8 points

2)#16 hammer lever to head: 14 points

3)#12 hammer front lever with 13" grip, lifting from floor to standing position maintaining parallel hammer: 8 points

4)#12 hammer front lever with 16" grip, lifting from floor to standing position maintaining parallel hammer: 14 points

5)tear a deck of Bicycles: 12 points

6)tear a deck of easy cards: 10 points

7)break a spiral 60D nail: 10 points

8)lift the Blob50: 14 points

9)lift a #65 1.5" wooden pinch block with one hand: 12 points

10)key pinch (thumb opposing the side of your curled forefinger) and curl two #10 olympic plates: 11 points

11)hub lift a #25 plate with a shallow and wide hub: 11 points

12)#110 3/8" v-bar: 8 points

13)no-set a #1 gripper: 8 points

14)no-set a #2 gripper: 13 points

15)bottle cap crush between the last sections of your forefinger and thumb (Jan Todd style): 10 points

16)FBBC 2.5" Crusher lift with #120: 7 points

17)loadable 2.5" dumbbell lift with #150: 14 points

18)The Humbler's Cousin (lift from the floor a #10 dumbblell placed over the 2nd knuckle of your middle finger to a 2.5"

platform [your other three straightened fingers will help to support the dumbbell handle]): 8 points

SCORING: Four attempts will be allowed on all events, except for the medley, for which only one attempt will be given. The rounds system will be used. Contestants will be allowed to drop down on weight on successive attempts. A combined poundage total will be used for scoring. Here's how your total will be determined:

Euro Pinch: Multiply weight lifted by ".9" to figure poundage.

Grippers: The calibration rating is your poundage.

V-bar: Multiply the total of your left and right hand lifts by ".4" to figure poundage.

Bending: Multiply the calibration rating of your stock by ".3" to figure poundage.

Medley: The total points accumulated is your poundage.

The total poundage from all your events will determine placement in the contest.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

I will provide barbecue, bottled water, and beer. Trophies will be awarded for at least 1st through 5th place. The weights on the Euro Pinch and the FBBC 2" v-bar will be calibrated.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• com202

• climber511

• Paul Knight

WOW!!!!!! I foresee a future of pain

"The Milfeld Mega Medley"

I feel as though I should be scared.....very scared.......

Do we know what grippers we will be using?

That's a killer comp. Eric

I can't wait!!

I love the sound of that medley!

Do we know what grippers we will be using?

Jason, Aaron will be bringing his calibrated grippers. I'll be making a calibrater of my own and calibrating the few grippers I do have.

• 2 weeks later...

I scaled Jason's Blob50 today, which is the one we'll use in the medley. It weighs 50.9 lbs.

I bought the "easy" cards for the contest yesterday at the dollar store. I tore a couple of decks and discovered, though they're el cheapo, they're certainly not easy. I'd say they are a little easier than Bicycles, so I upped there point value to "10".

• 2 weeks later...

This just gave me the reason I needed to start hitting grip hard again (and restart posting on this board). Plus, I live in Lewisville so it will be an easy drive. Count me in. Haven't participated in any grip-type stuff since right after the Massachusetts State Strongman Championship 2005 with the Diesel Crew. I won't place or even be able to complete all of the lifts but it will be a hell of a good time and a good motivation to start training my hands hard again.

This just gave me the reason I needed to start hitting grip hard again (and restart posting on this board). Plus, I live in Lewisville so it will be an easy drive. Count me in. Haven't participated in any grip-type stuff since right after the Massachusetts State Strongman Championship 2005 with the Diesel Crew. I won't place or even be able to complete all of the lifts but it will be a hell of a good time and a good motivation to start training my hands hard again.

John, this is great news! I look forward to meeting you.

I'd like to have a meetup with some of the contestants before the contest for some fun training. Anyone interested?

So far the following have expressed an interest in competing:

Matt Chipps (Matt, is Keith going to compete?)

Mike Hadland

Russ Hadland

me

Jason Williams

Aaron Corcorran

Robert Alva

T-dog

Am I missing anyone? My garage isn't big. I may have to remodel or something. :rock

I'd like to have a meetup with some of the contestants before the contest for some fun training. Anyone interested?

That would be cool!!!!

I would have to attempt to take vacation depending on the day of the week.

John, this is great news! I look forward to meeting you.

So far the following have expressed an interest in competing:

Matt Chipps (Matt, is Keith going to compete?)

Mike Hadland

Russ Hadland

me

Jason Williams

Aaron Corcorran

Robert Alva

T-dog

Am I missing anyone? My garage isn't big. I may have to remodel or something. :rock

Eric,

I don't know now if he is going to be able to come, I will check and see if he is in. We may not know till a little closer though. And for what its worth my last name only has one "p", yes just like puanch and john, or chocolate, potatoe, buffalo, I"ve heard them all :) I actually was thinking about a pre-meet meet as well, though it may be tough for me schedule wise. When were you thinking?

Hey with all you big benders going to be there - please try some Vertical style bending during all the playing around afterwards. I'd be real interested in what big Mike, Russ, Eric and the boys can do with it.

Matt, sorry about that. I know you've corrected me before on that. I was thinking about sometime in February for the meetup. My work schedule sucks, too: four days on, two off, and twelve hour shifts from 1100 to 2300. For those who are interested, does it have to be a Saturday or Sunday? In February I'm off Saturday the 2nd, Sunday the 3rd, and Saturday the 9th.

Chris, I have a vague idea only, so could you explain the exact execution of a vertical style bend. I'll gladly give it a go, even before contest time.

http://home.insight.rr.com/strongman/bending.html

Eric - here's a picture - as far as rules I have no clue. I know back when I first started bending - this was how I started all my bends - of course I sucked badly. It's another style like reverse etc that you'll need to switch over to another style (DO) to finish it off - wrists only bend so far. I'd just guess that the 40 degree standard should be reasonable? I've done 1/4 x 6 G5 as my best quite a while back but I have never really worked it since I learned the other methods. I'd like some other opinions from some of the better benders out there as to weather or not it might make another style worth playing around with.

Eric - here's a picture - as far as rules I have no clue. I know back when I first started bending - this was how I started all my bends - of course I sucked badly. It's another style like reverse etc that you'll need to switch over to another style (DO) to finish it off - wrists only bend so far. I'd just guess that the 40 degree standard should be reasonable? I've done 1/4 x 6 G5 as my best quite a while back but I have never really worked it since I learned the other methods. I'd like some other opinions from some of the better benders out there as to weather or not it might make another style worth playing around with.

I had no idea that style had a name. One day when I was messing around with some really old 3/16" round stock I "invented" that style, or at least I thought. Apparently I didn't invent it though :D. I'll have to try some bigger stock that way because I'm curious what I could do, and I DEFINITELY want to see what people like Eric and Mike can do :rock

Edited by vikingsrule92

I suspect people with big rear levers and good DU strength would be pretty good at that style :whistel I think that style would be pretty neat to do in a show. Just giving it a go recently I wouldn't think you could bend very big steel, probably the same results as reverse for most. It could be too that I just stink at it :(

Nice bend Chris! Right around the time I did the DU Grand I was screwing around and got a little over 40 degrees on an easy 7" Bastard vertical style. I don't like how that feels on the wrists but I'm sure you're right that the biggest and strongest leverers will do quite well on it with some practice.

If you do alot of prognation/supination with the hammers it should be right up youtr street or if you hit the wrists bending with alot of different styles that should be fine also.

Nice bend Chris! Right around the time I did the DU Grand I was screwing around and got a little over 40 degrees on an easy 7" Bastard vertical style. I don't like how that feels on the wrists but I'm sure you're right that the biggest and strongest leverers will do quite well on it with some practice.

So you're a 4 time Bastard now? Wow! :D Nice Bend!

Thanks Chris! I honestly forgot that it was a recognized style and was just messing around. I bet there at least 2 here that could do a Hex+ on this style...

Thanks Chris! I honestly forgot that it was a recognized style and was just messing around. I bet there at least 2 here that could do a Hex+ on this style...

*clears throat* Mike :D Great bend Ben, you're a BIEW+ ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I've just added to the first post in this thread a list of what I have so far for the bending stock. Does anyone have something that might fill the gap between 595 lbs. and 685 lbs. at 6"?

And I'm proud to announce that FBBC will once again be sponsoring our contest! Thanks, John! :rock

• 3 weeks later...

Updated competitor list:

Matt Chips

Mike Hadland

Russ Hadland

me

Jason Williams

Aaron Corcorran

Robert Alva

T-dog

Jeremiah Fox

John Renfroe

WOW!!!

Great list of competitors

Yes, indeed! If all these folks show up it will be the biggest Show of Hands to date by far, and quite a show at that!

I still need to set up all the medley events and give it a go. I'm hoping to be able to do all but one in the alloted time.

By the way, Fat Bastard Barbell has already provided us with two very nice prizes: a Robert Baraban Hard gripper and a Super gripper. If everyone is pretty sure they're gonna show I may award trophy cups through fifth place this year.

Oh, and it's going to be barbecue for sustenance.

Updated yet again:

Matt Chips

Mike Hadland

Russ Hadland

me

Jason Williams

Aaron Corcorran

Robert Alva

T-dog

Jeremiah Fox

John Renfroe

Greg Griffin

I just received word from a fellow Texan, Greg Griffin, that he would like to compete. If this keeps up I'll have to rent Texas Stadium.