• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• twig

• maximus1

• Paul Savage

• David Horne

Bring your entry fee, and BHSA membership fees on the day. Tea, coffee, and pop will be provided (plus the aforementioned cakes), if you want power drinks (which are a bit "emperer's new clothes", in my opinion) or anything special, bring your own.

Just to highlight one thing, this comp is taking place in my home, so you WILL treat it with respect, any disrespect will not be tolerated.

Oh, and I have cats, so if you're allergic. bring antihistamines.

Bring your entry fee, and BHSA membership fees on the day. Tea, coffee, and pop will be provided (plus the aforementioned cakes), if you want power drinks (which are a bit "emperer's new clothes", in my opinion) or anything special, bring your own.

Just to highlight one thing, this comp is taking place in my home, so you WILL treat it with respect, any disrespect will not be tolerated.

Cheers. One or two of you might be members already - just check the list in the BHSA thread.

Is that the same as an anticatmine? :D (Just kiddin', 4 of our own)

After discussion with Jason today, I've decided to change the bending machine to a weaver stick event, this is because my wrist is showing no sign of improving and I wouldn't be able to compete if we used the bending machine. I hope nobody finds this too much of an upset.

Although I still think the bending machine is a good idea for an event.

After discussion with Jason today, I've decided to change the bending machine to a weaver stick event, this is because my wrist is showing no sign of improving and I wouldn't be able to compete if we used the bending machine. I hope nobody finds this too much of an upset.

Although I still think the bending machine is a good idea for an event.

fine with me, didn't really do any bending anyways an weavers in the brits

just wondering, is there any tropheys? an could you please pm me some directions - i dont know where in manchester you are? my brother is working an i dont drive so im gonna have to get the train down an then walk or get a bus or something, depends where you are. I think when ive been manchester before ive gone to piccadilly station, dont know if you're anywhere near there?

Good luck to all (especially my son :D ) tomorrow.

Have fun, learn and do your best.

Then enjoy the cakes!

Neil - hope it's a blast!

David

All the best to everyone @ Twig's today! :rock Nail some PRs and have fun! :rock:D

Had a quick phone call from Jason, and he said he had a great time with everyone. He said Paul Savage lifted well, and won - well done Paul!

Anyway I'll let Neil tell you all the info.

Well done Neil on a succesful contest.

David

well done Paul, looking forward to the results! :rock

Same here and nice to see Twig running a contest.

Well, that’s that over, and I don’t know about everyone else, but I had FUN!

All events except the medley are 3 attempts, rising bar, last man standing

1st event was grippers: we worked up through #1.5, #2, PDA 262, #2.5, RB210, #3, HG350 and # 3.5. All no set, although the 2.5, the 3 and the 262 were hose-clamped to CC width.

1st Paul S (#3)

2nd Fred (RB210)

3rd Twig (#2.5)

4th Maxwell (PDA 262)

5th Paul W (#2)

6th Jason (#1.5)

Paul S still had loads left in the tank on grippers, I was happy to get the 2.5 but frustrated because I’ve got that 210 before (it’s my hardest 210; about a 2.9), Jason’s had that #2 in training as well, but it wasn’t there on the day.

2nd event: LGC vbar rising bar

1st Paul S 135Kg

2nd Jason 125Kg

3rd Fred and Paul W 120Kg

5th Maxwell 110Kg

6th Twig 80Kg

P*ssed off with that, cos I’ve pulled over a hundred in training, but it’s results that count so…

3rd event: Rolling Thunder

1st Paul S 80Kg

2nd Jason, Maxwell and Fred 75Kg

5th Paul W and Twig 70Kg

I was so damn close on 75 with my 3rd attempt, but as I locked out it spun out my hand, no controlled descent=no lift.

4th event: Weaver stick

1st Paul S and Fred 5Kg

3rd Jason and Maxwell 4.5Kg

5th Paul W 3Kg

6th Twig 2.5Kg

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! I never DREAMED it would be like that! I’d never even seen a Weaver used before so I had no idea of how hard it was, I’ll definitely be using this again. Fred oh so nearly took this event from Paul, his lift was as close to being legal as it could be, it just missed by a fraction.

5th event: Pinch Loading medley, 6 objects to be lifted on to a platform 15” high (well, I say platform, it’s a sofa!) same hand to be used in order: 30lb blob (with 1Kg attached), 27lb concrete block (6” span), 20Kg scale weight, 39Kg kerbstone (5” by 36”; 2-hand pinch), 37.5Kg legacy blob, Blob.

1st Paul S 5 items in 9.61 seconds (he got the Blob up eventually but had to switch hands to do it so it wasn’t counted)

2nd Maxwell 5 in 11.16s

3rd Twig 5 in 12.31s

4th Paul W 5 in 15.59s

5th Fred 5 in 28.15s

6th Jason 3 in 5.66s

Both Fred and Jason had terrible trouble with the kerbstone, it is a fearsome beastie to be sure, but I’m convinced it can be done 1-handed and will be working towards this goal.

Results (I've used the old-style scoring st=ystem, cos I'm too tired to work out percentages)

1st Paul S 30 points

2nd Fred 21 points

3rd Maxwell 18 points

4th Jason 15 points

5th Paul W 13 points

6th Twig 12 points

So my first grip comp’s over, and I came last!  Oh well, there’s only one place to go from here, I’m just going to train like crazy and then go to the Peter Horne Memorial event, after all, I can’t do any worse that I did today, can I?

Afterwards we had tea and cakes and just played with some grip toys, Paul S got the inch several times, but only while he had one of the globes braced with his free hand, he’s not that far though, he’ll get it soon.

The big story is Fred and the Blob, this is the first time he’s even seen it, he hadn’t really even heard of it before and he got it to full deadlift, I’ve posted the video in my gallery and PM’d Jedd to see if it’ll get him on the list. Big Big thanks to Gazza for loaning it, and to Maxwell for bringing, Gazza, Mate, I told you he’d do it.

Mark my words Fred and Paul S are people to watch, consider especially that Fred has only been gripping for 4 months, and most of that has only been grippers and powerball!

Gallery vid's a bit off, try http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=J8kYlYu88h4

Great job to everyone!!! Twig, you're right buddy there's only one way to go and I'm sure you'll be placing highly in no time.

Paul, great win man, and some VERY good lifts.

Fred, damn that's amazing!!! That looked to damn easy and you've never even seen it before! AMAZING!!