Manchester Grip Meet

twig

I'm thinking the 3rd Saturday in January. Does this suit? I'll lay on food, drink and toys, Y'all need to bring yourselves. Who's in? PM me here or on the BHSA Forum.

If I can clear this with Steve and David, it'll be under the aegis of the BHSA, so if you haven't already subscribed, do so, or do so on the day.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• twig

• maximus1

• Paul Savage

• David Horne

As I said on the other thread, sort the comp/get together details, and get it advertised. Jason will have a go.

It sounds fun.

David

Ok: date is 26th January, starts 1 P.M. events are as follows:

grippers My grippers, rated as I rate them, No Set allowed; Heaviest gripper closed wins.

vbar LGC vbar, last man standing, all plates will have been rated on a Post Office scale

Rolling Thunder Last man standing

blob/pinch medley 5 items to same height;Fastest time wins

David Horne Bending machine REVERSE STYLE Hardest spring, on easiest seting 2 mins for reps (it has to touch the guard for a rep to count).

After the event I'll put on a tea (Chloe will bake) £3 entry fee after the event ALL my toys will be available to those that want to try.

Only one hand (either hand, you can use which ever hand your best with for each event) will be tested, as this is my first comp, and I want to enjoy myself rather than worrying about the numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

Neil,

Jason is a definite.

He's going to sign up on here when he gets back to Manchester. Think he fancies a training session with you before the comp.

David

Hey Mate,

Will be there on the 26th for sure. Really like the sound of the events, last man standing is great!

Uni lifestyle, Christmas and new years are all catching me up now though, and I feel weak as hell. Is there any chance I could pop round for a training session or two with you before the main event, since you only live down the road from me? All the best for putting together the comp, and hopefully see you soon,

Jake Horne

Cool

So that's Jason, Me, Maximus, Paul? Pete?

5 is as many as some events have had before. You'll still have a good day.

Well, I'll definately be here, cos it's my house, Jason should be here cos it's round the corner, Fred still seems pretty comitted to come all we need is Paul and Maxwell, and we've got the makings of a fun time.

with it being before the brits it's just bad timing for me personally, i need to focus on the events of the brits, mobster would own me easily right now - to compete in this contest i would have to come in without doing any training on any events >not for me

i wish all that do compete a bunch of PR's!

with it being before the brits it's just bad timing for me personally, i need to focus on the events of the brits, mobster would own me easily right now - to compete in this contest i would have to come in without doing any training on any events >not for me

i wish all that do compete a bunch of PR's!

So you're going to avoid competing with Mobster because he would "own" you? You'd better get used to it.

There's no shame in losing now if it helps you win later, why don't you just go and get some more contest experience?

It's true. My first contest I was 3rd... of three. My second I was 8th then it was changed to 7th. I then started getting 3rds and 4ths. One year I did 4 events (2004) and I had one 2nd and 3 bloody 4th place finishes.

Then there's doing it for the crack and buzz.

Or competition experience. Without giving too much away (not until after you've got your feet wet) you do NEED to compete. You'll realise a bunch of stuff that does not come from training.

Finally if I am good enough now - based on my number I've done or am doing right now - I'll have added to those same numbers by May.

you're right, i need some contest experience - im in

Good to see. It's a small contest, and an excellent place to start. Do your best and learn from the day.

My son Jason will be there and I think he's had about 2 training sessions since he's come back from his Uni lifestyle. He's well trained up on that style of life :D

Anyway, hope you all have fun.

David

ill TRY get my brother to compete as well as if hes free, he might wanna come down support anyways - doubt he will as he probably will be busy, but he has tns'd one of my #3's to 1/4, high pulled 2 10kg easy (no chalk on either) etc he has trained grippers a little in the past but basically dont train, just naturally strong (unlike me, damnit!)