Wsmss Will Host The 2008 Ironmind Rolling Thunder World Championships

Paul Savage

I thought there were going to be more competitors than that :( BIG disappointment even if there was a new record set twice. HOWEVER, a walk-on who pulled 204 and 221 is still pretty darned impressive in my book!!!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bobbrown

• mobsterone

• MalachiMcMullen

• David Horne

Weight 300

Mark - Right Hand

He did it.

New World Record

Congrats to Mark for the 300 LB WR. And thanks for posting these in time :)

I thought there were going to be more competitors than that :( BIG disappointment even if there was a new record set twice. HOWEVER, a walk-on who pulled 204 and 221 is still pretty darned impressive in my book!!!

Yep but we did say $300.00 would not even cover the costs of staying their a night when added to travel even for Americans never mind anyone else. And that's if you won.

Weight 300

Mark - Right Hand

He did it.

New World Record

Congrats to Mark for the 300 LB WR. And thanks for posting these in time :)

Indeed. Mark is the first ever to do an official 300lbs. Much as it pains me - well done.

I was present at the event as judge and the fellows and crowd showed plenty of spirit. All except the walk-on were there for the WSM contest as competitors. The WSM events severely tested and were in many ways focused on grip strength. It was the largest WSM contest crowd ever on Sat. and the crowd for the rolling thunder was large and filled with strength giants from now and the past. I called the lift by Felix as a strong, clean (with some to spare) attempt closely watched and perfectly done with a brand new implement. When he did the first record weight at 280 and was asked if he wanted to "go on" he quietly said "300". I requested that the official weighed poundage be set to exactly 301lb.... which it was . I thought it would be better to go OVER 300 than "just" to do 300. It was a quality event and a real boost to interest in grip. I was proud to be there to be part of history being made. RS

I was present at the event as judge and the fellows and crowd showed plenty of spirit. All except the walk-on were there for the WSM contest as competitors. The WSM events severely tested and were in many ways focused on grip strength. It was the largest WSM contest crowd ever on Sat. and the crowd for the rolling thunder was large and filled with strength giants from now and the past. I called the lift by Felix as a strong, clean (with some to spare) attempt closely watched and perfectly done with a brand new implement. When he did the first record weight at 280 and was asked if he wanted to "go on" he quietly said "300". I requested that the official weighed poundage be set to exactly 301lb.... which it was . I thought it would be better to go OVER 300 than "just" to do 300. It was a quality event and a real boost to interest in grip. I was proud to be there to be part of history being made. RS

I watched the whole thing on the Webcast. Extremely Cool: the event, the guys, the performances, and the amazing technology that allowed me to watch a ROLLING THUNDER CONTEST LIVE IN MY KITCHEN. Wow. And Richard, I hope Odd and you are okay with your call on his 266. Personally, I thought it slipped out of his hand on the way down as well. It was very close, but it was not legal from my kitchen chair (armchair quarterback? how about a kitchen chair judge? :D) It was good to see you as judge, a perfect choice for the event.

And I loved the walkon fellow Floyd. He did 204 and 221. Pretty impressive. I wish there were others like him!

Odd is a wonderful gip guy, strongman and gentleman and took my ruling with grace. I am glad others got to see that attempt via the strongman tv. The rules in effect were full, erect, lockout AND an "under control" lowering. I did watch closely if the hand was centered and not touching side handle wire or non revolving part of the handle as well. Some of the big handed guys(most) nearly spanned the width of the rolling part of the handle. Mr. Felix had such big palms it took careful placement on his part to have a legal grip on the implement. As far as the "money thing" it was not about the prize money just the "status" of having the best grip within your peer group and done for the joy of personal accomplishment..what I think athletics and sport is truly based on. My hat is off on all who tried and those who provided the experience. RS

The walk-on competitor was a pretty stong looking guy and I think had been training quite a bit "on his own". I was interested that the announcer who was a very streamlined ex- strongman competitor grabbed the 170 warm-up weight and did it like a feather as he was talking to the crowd.RS

mark has seen this thread an appreciates all the support an positive comments

If it was Colin he's a pretty explosive dude - Bobsleigh and all that.

Sven is of course Sven.

Right. It's because there have been photos of Colin lifting some decent weights but at the same time Sven is having kidney treatment so will be slimmed down.

Paul, can you mention to mark about the inch dumbell and millennium dumbell challenges i would love to see him attempt (i.e. lift) these.

Paul, can you mention to mark about the inch dumbell and millennium dumbell challenges i would love to see him attempt (i.e. lift) these.

already did back in august of last year, was one of the 1st thing i talked to him about, he basically said he doesn't get a whole lot of time to do extra things like that - you gotta think hes trying to win worlds strongest man, so all his effort has to go towards that

im 100% sure he would easily deadlift either one though, wouldn't be challenge at all, his hand size/thumb length make it a different ball game with thickbar lifts, but it's not just that, he has freaky strength genetics (250kg x 6-7 reps in deadlift first time doing them) + all the years of training (hes now in his 40's) + he works with his hands on a daily basis

if he wanted it to, it would all add up to feats far an beyond what a lot of people on here think possible e.g hes already done what might be the best pinch feat ever (one hand deadlifting 4 10kg plates), an i think that might have been the first time doing pinch

4-10kg first time ever doing pinch? :blink :blink

:blink:blink

No way! That's crazy.