• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bobbrown

• mobsterone

• MalachiMcMullen

• David Horne

Should see some big numbers go up! I can't see anybody beating Felix though.

Nick McKinless just sent me the link... $300?? It'll cost that much to stay at a hotel never mind the flights etc. I'm working on some numbers but Jan 18th??

Certainly so, it's pretty certain that we see new WR set there and high level competition all together.

If they would put up say 5 thousand then it would really be a great event. Give people some actual motivation. I know it would never happen but just imagine how hard people would train and compete. Should be more than 300 that is a joke really.

Edited by patrick

If they would put up say 5 thousand then it would really be a great event. Give people some actual motivation. I know it would never happen but just imagine how hard people would train and compete. Should be more than 300 that is a joke really.

It ain't 'bout $$$. Just provide the venue and guys/gals worth

their salt will find a way to compete. Ever heard about the rodeo

circuit in America, mostly Texas. Just do it.

Cheers, first steps are good.

Thats not what I meant. I meant 300 isn't much to them and they could put up more easily. You took my post the wrong way.

Sorry, dude, I just wanted to make a point. Not at your expense. For instance:

"If you build it they will come"

That's a fantastic idea to allow walk-ons!!! With something like the rolling thunder you really just don't know who will take the prize but I agree that Felix will be the one to beat here.

That's a fantastic idea to allow walk-ons!!! With something like the rolling thunder you really just don't know who will take the prize but I agree that Felix will be the one to beat here.

All Comers is a GOOD thing. Maybe Mark Felix is or ain't all that. We shall see. :rock

Big Time Rolling Thunder contests have been hit-and-miss at best, so this is great.

I like the fact that it is a last minute sort of event. I think this is a really cool idea, sounds like our little cult sport is going to have a little more exposure than normal.

220 for a "walk on", as opposed to being a WSM competitor, is a fair number. Personally, that is the number I always felt was the line between "good" and "World Class".

Should be good, and all the best to all.

300lb may be there on the day - shame it's not $3000 for the man who gets it, as the feat is a very tough one.

David

Should be good, and all the best to all.

300lb may be there on the day - shame it's not $3000 for the man who gets it, as the feat is a very tough one.

David

Maybe Wannagrip can sponsor it with help from members. It, RT, seems to cross

boundaries in strengthdom. First, RT, then Grip, then.....

Wannagrip, 5-10K ain't much considering the exposure it will produce. Get on the bus

before it leaves the terminal. :rock And be a hero at the same time for allowing it

to take place.

BTW, David, could you commit if the Grand Prize was $3,000?

Nick McKinless just sent me the link... $300?? It'll cost that much to stay at a hotel never mind the flights etc. I'm working on some numbers but Jan 18th??

I agree, it's a bit short notice for anyone that wasn't going anyway!

Bonzi,

It would be pointless me going as I wouldn't win it.

David

Maybe an appearance fee would be in order to bring you over. :rock

Just shooting from the hip now, but it makes sense to bring one of

the top 3 grip people in the world in.

Pretty sure that Dave Morton got more than a 300 prize to close the MM Level? gripper. I can't remember what two levels he got prizes for. Both from PDA as a sponsor.

And, it was just local to the MM certs and gripboard and not such a public thing.

Bonzi: 5-10K!? Are you on crack? ;) You have a very warped sense of what's going on here on the gripboard support wise. If I had that kind of cash laying around loose, the last thing we would have had to start here is gripboad contributor groups! Of which I see you aren't one of....

Why don't you pony up 10K and while your add it buy grippers for all the gripboard members just because. :laugh

Back in the old days... Jim Wylie, myself and David Horne all exceeded 115-kilos on an old handle in competition. David will have the exact figures. Of my very best effort there is a photo somewhere of me pulling 270+lbs on a not quite new handle. In training I also used to do drags with 130-kilos loaded - just a few times.

Right now I'm slowly working my way back to seeing what I can do. I'd like to get back to 120+ kilos before I pony up myself against Laine and the rest. I think I hit 110-kilos or thereabouts when Laine and I last went head to head. I do not want to predict where I might be by January 18th but 110-kilos seem reasonable on a new handle for a single. But there's no way I'm coughing up yet more cash from the limited supply I have right now in order to potentially get my arse handed to me or even if I win a measly $300?? I mean it'll cost that just for the flight (and then some). Add food, room and a few bucks for bits and bobs and I'd see no change from $1000 for less than 1/3rd of that back if I won.

Not gonna happen.

What I will consider is putting on a BHSA approved RT competition for Laine, Mark and myself etc say in March?? I'm gonna announce the events for the British in January and that will be in May as usual so would not want to follow my December 22nd event with another in January when I'll be only around the 110-kilo mark again. Enough to qualify but place...? In line with the previously mentioned event I'd consider making it 100-kilos as a qualifying poundage. That way you'll get something nice and serious going.

Pretty sure that Dave Morton got more than a 300 prize to close the MM Level? gripper. I can't remember what two levels he got prizes for. Both from PDA as a sponsor.

And, it was just local to the MM certs and gripboard and not such a public thing.

Bonzi: 5-10K!? Are you on crack? ;) You have a very warped sense of what's going on here on the gripboard support wise. If I had that kind of cash laying around loose, the last thing we would have had to start here is gripboad contributor groups! Of which I see you aren't one of....

Why don't you pony up 10K and while your add it buy grippers for all the gripboard members just because. :laugh

You've got a lot of folks on here, Wanna. It could happen. Just sit back and watch.

There's already a suggestion of having a whip round to send me on the SDF site... wow! I posted how tough the trip was when I did the GGC even though I won the Rolling Thunder portion of that competition (2004). 12 hours sleep in 48 hours and most of my time spent travelling.