What's A "real" Close?

lloyd80s

All this discussion got me curious, so I slowly and carefully watched my hand as I TNS'd my #1. I have 7.25" hands and because of the spread I can barely get my ring finger on the handle. Basically my first two fingers pull the handles together slightly, then I can get three fingers on, then finally the pinky so I can crush it. I do not see how I could use this method even for the #2 unless my first two fingers become much stronger. Is this how my fellow small-handed people do it, or do you set the gripper further back in the palm? By way of comparison, I can my HG200 is a harder gripper, but easier to TNS because of the narrower spread.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• Teemu I

• Martin_Arildsson

• superfeemiman

Very. Look at Martin. He's done a 3.65 or 3.85 with both hands using the push handles against the knee, pull hand up to show parallel set t a ref very briefly then close the gripper very quickly style many use - only in competition. Miles away on a 4.

Many are so far away from the intended use that anything they say regarding a close is to be compared to someone claiming to be the greatest squatter ever with three inches of knee bend.

Martin who?

All this discussion got me curious, so I slowly and carefully watched my hand as I TNS'd my #1. I have 7.25" hands and because of the spread I can barely get my ring finger on the handle. Basically my first two fingers pull the handles together slightly, then I can get three fingers on, then finally the pinky so I can crush it. I do not see how I could use this method even for the #2 unless my first two fingers become much stronger. Is this how my fellow small-handed people do it, or do you set the gripper further back in the palm? By way of comparison, I can my HG200 is a harder gripper, but easier to TNS because of the narrower spread.

My hand is not that much bigger than yours, might be the same, and here's a video where you can see me doing that. I have to do it pretty much as you described. Yes, you have to give away the optimal handle positioning to perform a TNS.

My hand is not that much bigger than yours, might be the same, and here's a video where you can see me doing that. I have to do it pretty much as you described. Yes, you have to give away the optimal handle positioning to perform a TNS.

Yes, that video shows pretty much what I was talking about. You must have incredibly strong fingers to do that with the #3.

Yes, that video shows pretty much what I was talking about. You must have incredibly strong fingers to do that with the #3.

Thanks, but no. Far from incredible. My purpose of linking to that video was just to show you that it can be done in a way that you described. I think it requires dexterity (of course strength), to wiggle your fingers enough in the beginning to get it going. Heavy shot rotations helped me enormously.

Very. Look at Martin. He's done a 3.65 or 3.85 with both hands using the push handles against the knee, pull hand up to show parallel set t a ref very briefly then close the gripper very quickly style many use - only in competition. Miles away on a 4.

Many are so far away from the intended use that anything they say regarding a close is to be compared to someone claiming to be the greatest squatter ever with three inches of knee bend.

Martin who?

You. Two years or so ago when I last competed several of the Swedish guys used the technique I mentioned. Whether or not you still do it I have no idea. Put up a link to a video showing how you set it these days.

Martin who?

You. Two years or so ago when I last competed several of the Swedish guys used the technique I mentioned. Whether or not you still do it I have no idea. Put up a link to a video showing how you set it these days.

Strange, maybe it was my stand in (I've never used that kind of set). Check my gallery for videos.

Strange, maybe it was my stand in (I've never used that kind of set). Check my gallery for videos.

Martin closing the CoC #3.5 with BOTH hands with less than 10 secs between one and the other. You can clearly see what type of set he used. His right hand set looks to be over an inch, so wider than parallel. And he doesn't seem to use his legs for this gripper, unless I'm missing something. :tongue

Right hand very impressive (it's less clear on the left but the right is well over the inch). Cheers for that. It seems obvious then that I have Martin on the brain (apologies) but may have seen some of his fellow countrymen using the thigh in the way I described - can Martin confirm this?

Right hand very impressive (it's less clear on the left but the right is well over the inch). Cheers for that. It seems obvious then that I have Martin on the brain (apologies) but may have seen some of his fellow countrymen using the thigh in the way I described - can Martin confirm this?

Well... I like you too :kiss

I'm not so sure on who does knee-braced sets here.

Glad to hear this from Martin as it was a bit confusing, I've seen Martin's #4 attempts and he doesn't have any trouble setting it, so I thought why would he even need to do a knee-braced set on grippers below #4.

But I'd still like to hear, are those knee-braced sets really allowed in competition, and do the possibly resulting closes count as records on this list? Just curious..

Personally I think the use of grippers for hand strength is very much overated. I've made super gains in hand strength in periods where I haven't used a gripper for say 12 months.

However, I did notice in the 17 week training run-up to the GGC, that I gained hand strength from repping the grippers all with a credit card start (credit card in on each rep). This will now be the only way I will train using grippers, and by the way I was closing the #3 with my small hands, so it can be done.

David

I have also gotten stronger from repping grippers from a wide set. Mabye we're onto something :shifty