The 2" V-bar- A Better Event?

Bob Lipinski

Dave Thorton came over today, and we played with a 2" vbar. At first, I really wasn't too excited cause I hate the vbar, but who can resist a new grip toy? Anyway, I was pleasantly suprised.

First of all, no skin problems. Second, it feels like it stresses your grip more and the ability of your skin to stay intact less. Third, I really don't know if hand size makes much more of a difference than the 1" vbar.

Dave said he worked up to a hard 235 on that particular bar, and I got a half ass "training lift" with 205. Compared to my regular vbar lifting I was a superstar!

Considering the concern over blood on the bar and skind tears, the two inch vbar might just be a better lift all around. One of these days, someone is gonna get seriously screwed when they come up to a freshly scrubbed vbar after another competitor gets blood on it.

Who knows, just my thoughts.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• madss

• RKlein

• David Horne

• Bob Lipinski

i would like to see it banned. i think if someone is worried about tearing skin off their hand they should first stop calling themselves a man and consider changing sports. forget about hand size i don't think it should be used on principal.

who knows, maybe powerlifting should drop the deadlift and strongman get rid of farmers walk because it tears skin.

anyway i am expecting to be alone on this one and am expecting 3 pages on how great the 2" version is because it doesn't tear skin and no one will die from AIDS.

I actually hate V-bar..

Bob, the 2" vbar is better than the 1" vbar for several reasons - the most important argument is the reduced probability of a back injury.

I have another idea in my mind which might sound offtopic (but it's not!):

If we are thinking of replacing the 1" vbar with some kind of a fatbar implement - why don't we go a bit further and take an Apollons Axle instead of the 2" vbar.

The Axle has several advantages: (over the 1"/[2"] vbar)

1. It's a fatbar event which is a basic grip exercise

2. It's a twohanded event - which saves a lot of time in competition (time is always a comp problem)

3. It's a real body tester (it's comparable easy to pull something by straddling it)

4. The 2" diameter of the Axle is not too fat to make the "handsize argument" a real good argument

Point 2.+3. are the most important points!

I have mentioned the replacement of the vbar by the Axle a long time ago and nobody listened. This is the last time I do this.

BTW, I'll never compete again in a competition which has the vbar as an event (no matter which diameter the vbar has).

5. The axle is a more natural lift for the hands and wrists (no bent wrist like in vbar lifts).

If I had the choice between thin and thick vbar I would prefer the thickone because of less injury risk for the skin and of course for the back because of less weight. But with the thick vbar you get confrontated with the handsize argument, what means for me, you can even take the axle as an event, like Burk suggested.

Edited by Florian Kellersmann

I like lifting on the 1"Vbar, but the skin tears are starting to really annoy me, like everytime i go for a max lift i tear my skin. Never tried the 2" Vbar would be interested to give it a go

A promotor can put whatever events in he wants.

No governing body, so no real vote. This kind of thing goes nowhere usually.

I actually hate V-bar..

Me too...the 1" version anyway! Can't stand the skin tears - after ripping a hole in my hand (and I have on numerous occassions), I always feel like a fool.

Had a go with a FBBC 2" bar at Franky's house and found it most argeeable. My lifts were close to those of Scott George's and Franky's.

I also believe that hand size doesn't make that much of a difference. One way to find out what's best is to stick the lift in few comps and see how it goes.

I'm really liking my v-bar, but I've never torn my skin on it, even when the weight is so high that I can lift it, but as I'm lifting it the bar's sliding out my hand. That's probably because I don't use chalk tho.

I actually hate V-bar..

Me too...the 1" version anyway! Can't stand the skin tears - after ripping a hole in my hand (and I have on numerous occassions), I always feel like a fool.

Had a go with a FBBC 2" bar at Franky's house and found it most argeeable. My lifts were close to those of Scott George's and Franky's.

I also believe that hand size doesn't make that much of a difference. One way to find out what's best is to stick the lift in few comps and see how it goes.

That was a nice gapping wound you had at Germany, ouch!

I seconded you on the fact it does not matter about hand size on the 2" lift. Technique is key to a good lift.

We will use it in the Tarheel Hand of Steel contest we are planning for February.

My experience is limited, but I really like the 1" vbar because my relatively small hand size doesn't seem to matter. I have never torn the skin of my hands in any form of weight training, so I can't speak to that. As for back injury...I can't see how it would be a problem as long as proper form is observed. I was into powerlifting long before grip, and raw deadlifts seem to be much more dangerous.

I think hand size is not a factor on the 2" vbar, or if it is, not nearly as much as it would be for the axle. That was kind of my big discovery.

In fact, I wonder whether or not hand size matters more in the 1". I have been thinking about this, I have some ideas but as usual I could be wrong.

Because the vbar isn't a supporting event, getting your hand around the implement doesn't let you get under it better like in the 2" deadlift.

Because the vbar isn't a supporting event, getting your hand around the implement doesn't let you get under it better like in the 2" deadlift.

I'm not sure what you mean, Bob.

What kind of strength should be tested with the vbar?

1. If it does not bother my pussy back, I am not sure how it can be that much of a strain on the back.

2. If one wants to throw out the V-bar of a contest, do it. Don't fiddle around with a thicker version.

3. Very interesting that Theo and JWylie, both top V-bar guys, really don't care.

4. Very interesting that David Horne really doesn't care.

5. If there is an issue of safety, to me, the biggest issue is the Chris James incident. Freak accident? Or, an indicator of more to come? He tended to pull it higher than others, and you sometimes get that twisting or spinning effect when that happens. I don't buy the other safety arguments, but a bicep tearing off a bone on a very strong man is one good reason to seriously examine the lift. Different subject, how is Chris doing?

Couldn't the 1 inch v-bar be cleaned between each attempt to insure safety? Then no one would have the advantage of a seasoned bar. Blood borne diseases are no joke when you consider how many people have hep without knowing about it.

I like the idea of the 2 inch bar because it uses lower weights. At gripmas last year it was my legs that gave out before my grip when doing the hand and thigh lift.

Just my 2 cents.

Brent

Regular vbar sucks. 2'' Vbar is much better. More functional, less skin tears and weights are lighter for the loaders at contest :D

Edited by Wes

I have a lot of new ideas for this sport which I will implement for the 2nd Champion of Champions contest in 2009. I do not want the days event to go over 5 hours, and considering it will be a massive field of athletes this will be great. I have got some great ideas for it to look visually brilliant, and also be quick. I got a few of these ideas from strongman comps.

David