Irish Strength

MalachiMcMullen

interesting dl program 75kg.. let us know how it goes :)

You got it ;)

VERY fast DEADLIFT!!! day today. I had no time for the gym so I was in and out; the whole thing took about 10 minutes.

Clean pulls

210x5

300x1

355x1

355x1

355x1

355x1

355x1

355x1

355x1

355x1

355x1

355x1

and done!!!

Ok, did alot today :) I bent a 5.5 G8 to about 105 degrees, it stopped right where it enters the crush of coures :rolleyes Finished off a hard bastard I kinked awhile ago, it's about 3/4" off center and I cheat crushed it with my hand braced on my chin WAY outside of 5 minutes for sure. I took down a SCFUL 1, a SCFPolo 1 and I now have a Diamond Classic 1 on video :rock Had to redial in my technique for it aswell because proper shoe bending is easy to forget for me. I attempted a piece of 4.5"x1/4" CRS Sq as well and managed a 50 degree kink, just not strong enough for the sweep on that little bugger. I kinked my second Insane Bastard as well just for fun(about 10 degrees this time too, 3 better than last time!!! :D ).

Onto the workout for today

Hammer curls

40x12

50x8

45x10

EZ curls

95x5

105x0(Grrrr)

Straight bar curls

65x10

85x10

95x5

Reverse Dips

BW+90 x10

BW+135 x10

BW+180 x5

Bent over rows

120x10

140x10

160x10

190x5

210x3

190x3

120x5

Close Grip Bench

135x10

135x10

155x10

185x5(could've done MUCH more on this too)

I did so much this workout I can't remember it all to be honest, all arm stuff though.

Add in some STRICT sledge levering and some standing levering and the day is done :rock

Well today is a rest day for me... er... I mean today is an active rest day for me. I took down a St. Croix UL 0 into a heart after starting it unbraced. I think as soon as my wrists heal up from all the bending I've been doing lately and especially that damn DC1 from a few days ago I'll give a SCFUL Size 1 a go unbraced. I love doing horseshoes!!! You could say it's the one thing I'm really good at :) Jim(Bossie308) is going to be sending me 3 tough shoes next week so I'll try and be as prepared and rested as possible for those AND... I FINALLY get some chalk either Tuesday or Wednesday :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock so I'll finally be able to train stuff more effectively. I went ahead and bought 5 boxes of chalk from Ironmind... that's 40 blocks and it's about 9lbs of chalk so I think I'll be supplied for awhile :D

Today was a bench day. I'm going to be attacking this more fiercely to help out my crushdown weakness as much as possible while leaving my wrists alone for awhile. Felt good today, not weak but not strong either.

Flat bench

135x8

185x5

215x3

205x3

195x3

235x1

225x1

225x1

225x1

225x0

Incline Bench

135x5

155x3

155x5

Decline bench

155x10

185x5

185x6(after the first set of 5 I was about to drop the bar, before this set a few friends came in who don't know I'm into strength so I managed to muster up some serious strength just from their presence, could've done 10 or more I think)

BTN press

120x3

100x5

110x5

110x3

100x5

I went to play basketball(I stink) for about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes came back and did some

Close grip bench

135x10

155x10

135x10

Well I did it again. Instead of resting like I probably should have I bent again. I couldn't help myself!!! The shoes were sitting on my desk in front of my computer taunting me so I had to beat 'em up abit.

The aftermath, #33 DCO and #11 DCOH, done in a row but not finished

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=6849

Edited by MalachiMcMullen

DEADLIFT DAY!!!

Deadlifts

280x2

280x2

280x2

280x2

280x2

280x2

280x2

280x2

Rack pulls from the knees

340x5

390x3

410x3

430x3

I get a little confused around here, I did this awhile ago and I can't remember what it weighs out too. I had 3 45's, 2 35's, 2 25's on each side +15lbs set on top(ran out of space on the bar). That means, not including the bar it weighed 540. Well, it's either 540 or 490 I'm sure of it so I had a PR anyway!!!

So I'll say (490-540)x2

410x1

390x2

I had another horseshoe PR today :) I bent the St. Croix Lite 2 that Jim sent me. I now set my sights on that Regular 2 :devil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_YiKYYryHU

There's also a picture in my gallery :)

Hey good job on the shoe from a fellow irishman!!!!

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

I happen to be part Irish, part Scottish, part English, part German and part Cherokee. There is a drinking joke in there somewhere I know it!

Hey good job on the shoe from a fellow irishman!!!!

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

I happen to be part Irish, part Scottish, part English, part German and part Cherokee. There is a drinking joke in there somewhere I know it!

I quit drinking 15 year's ago but I alway's like a good joke. I am Irish and English my 3rd great grandfather came over in 1803.

I quit drinking 15 year's ago but I alway's like a good joke. I am Irish and English my 3rd great grandfather came over in 1803.

WOOO, that's a little bit earlier than my great grandparents(they came here in the late 19th and early 20th centuries) and my Great great grandmother was a Cherokee indian born and raised on Cherokee land in the mid-late 1800's.

WOOO, that's a little bit earlier than my great grandparents(they came here in the late 19th and early 20th centuries) and my Great great grandmother was a Cherokee indian born and raised on Cherokee land in the mid-late 1800's.

That is cool I had a friend that alot Apache in him from Oklahoma. I bet she had stories WOW.

Bench today. Tendonitis is still bothering me unfortunately.

Flat bench

135x10

185x4

205x3

225x1

235x1

225x1

225x1

235x0

225x0

215x2

205x3

Close grip

185x2

155x10

135x10

OHDBP

75x5 RH and 3 LH

Also did 2 middle finger chinups today on a normal knurled bar. That's kind of a PR since I was never able to do them before I went to Larkin's and the only reason I could do them there is because the bar was really thin.

Started a OOPL shoe today but my tendonitis kicked in right as I entered the crushdown so I couldn't finish it :( I also bent a 5" G5 with the head cut off, kinked a 5.5 and 5 G8. Took the 5.5 to about 90 and the 5 didn't move past 65. I also bent a St. Croix Ultralite Size 1, started it unbraced but my lack of wrist strength added to my by that time aggervated tendonitis forced me to take it the rest of the way conventionally.

OOPL

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=6890

Ultralite 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB3dZddLyyE

That's neat, starting it unbraced. I'd hurt myself.

Great workouts, Zach !! Where exactly is your tendonitis ?

Your bench volume on Jan 21 was insane !! and then you did BTN presses, played some B-ball and came back for more close grip benches. I pratically lived in the gym when I was your age but volume like that..OMG.

Re: your crushdown weekness. Do you think chest crushes with a very hard gripper would help ?

.. neilkaz ..

Great workouts, Zach !! Where exactly is your tendonitis ?

Your bench volume on Jan 21 was insane !! and then you did BTN presses, played some B-ball and came back for more close grip benches. I pratically lived in the gym when I was your age but volume like that..OMG.

Re: your crushdown weekness. Do you think chest crushes with a very hard gripper would help ?

.. neilkaz ..

My tendonitis is on the Ulnar side of both forearms but it is worse in my left because of how I hold tough horseshoes to get them past 90. I think it's that they are just overworked. A lot of the stuff I've done in the past few weeks, horseshoes included, have been pr's too so I've pushed myself harder and faster than before and now it's caught up with me :)

You should see some of my older gripper workouts :) Very high volume has always worked well for me. BTW, I was only in the weight room for 1 1/2hrs so you can add high intensity as well ;)

I was thinking about chest crushes with a gripper but I personally like pushing through a tough piece of steel or at least pushing into one for isos. Using a gripper just isn't as much fun BUT I think it's obvious that it could help. I'll try them though :)

Did some light arm stuff today to get blood flowing to the forearms. Nothing big today, thats for tomorrow :devil

Hammer curls(#'s for both arms)

45x12

40x12

35x14

30x20

25x30

20x30

Reverse Curls

60x8

65x8

70x8

Cable reverse curls

50x12

60x12

80x12

Concentration curls with hammer grip

30x5

Well then. Today sucks :angry: Today was DEADLIFT!!! Day and I was going for a new max. My current max is 420 and I was going for 425, well it came off the ground 3 times but I couldn't keep it going up :angry: First attempt only the right side came up about 4" before I set it back down, second attempt I pulled the whole thing to my knees but had to drop it, third attempt the right side came up 4" again. I was EXTREMELY PISSED by this time which is unlike me. I dropped the weight down to 315 and did 8 reps coming to a complete stop at the bottom and could've kept going. After the heavy attempts and the 315 for 8 I couldn't do shit :angry: I pulled 325 off 4" blocks for 5 singles but even that felt extremely heavy. I left shortly after finishing the 325 singles.

I did two things I had never done previously though. I have been doing the DL program that Don Larkin gave me about a month ago and I just assumed it would work for me. I came in today confident but nervous that I wouldn't get it, I wasn't feeling strong but I wasn't feeling weak either, just nervous. ALL my previous successful DL max days I came in dead set on pulling heavy weight and had been pumped up for it and visualized me getting the lift for over a week. I didn't do that this time because, as I said earlier, I just assumed Larkin's program would work and didn't pay much attention to the mental aspect. The second thing I did I alluded to earlier. I got visibly pissed off and in doing so pulled 315x8 in 10 seconds which completely fatigued my back for the day. To anyone who thinks that heavy lifting isn't 50% mental and 50% smart training and nutrition your fooling yourself. Lesson learned for me and next week I will repeat Larkin's program with an added 5%.

So, week 1

70%x8 singles

Week 2

90%x8 singles

Week 3

70%x8 singles

Week 4

Max

You'll get that 425 soon.

When I've gone for maxes and failed I stopped the workout right after. I knew if my mind was no longer in the workout that it would be a waste (and possibly dangerous).

When I've gone for maxes and failed I stopped the workout right after. I knew if my mind was no longer in the workout that it would be a waste (and possibly dangerous).

I'm the same way.

Zach, I can overtrain deadlifts just thinking about them. It's really annoying. This is one of the reasons I love grip so much. Overtrain, rest a day, and you're good to go again. With deadlifts it can take my body months to fully recover and regain its former strength after a max single. Just be careful you're not overtrained before you push it too hard. I know you'll get this and more!

Zach, I can overtrain deadlifts just thinking about them. It's really annoying. This is one of the reasons I love grip so much. Overtrain, rest a day, and you're good to go again. With deadlifts it can take my body months to fully recover and regain its former strength after a max single. Just be careful you're not overtrained before you push it too hard. I know you'll get this and more!
for what it is worth...i have a similar issue...just take a week or two off and let it be....rest up and come back to dominate!

Thanks guys! I'll be going for 425 next week. Coming so close and failing it yesterday has provided the proper motivation I think for a proper max attempt :cool I don't think I'm overtrained, but I may have been fatigued still from last weeks DL session.

Best of luck to you guys!!!