Irish Strength

MalachiMcMullen

Thumbs still sore. Today was DEADLIFT!!! day, that last few weeks here I've been DLing every other week, not on purpose; I was just busy last thursday and 2 weeks before that I was stopping for Gripmas. It seems to help me out but it's only been a few weeks so I'll see where this takes me. I'll be doing assistance exercises on the off weeks and DLing heavy on the on weeks.

I wasn't into it today, I just had no motivation but I was nonetheless feeling strong. So I had very low intensity today.

Clean Pulls

225x5

DEADLIFTS!!!

315x1

365x1

405x2 singles(about 30-60 seconds apart and the 2nd rep was done Sumo)

405x0

385x0

365x1

315x5

Clean Pulls

275x5(just too heavy for a proper clean pull so it was more a power shrug)

Rack Pulls(from above the patella(knee cap)) Even while in the sumo position the bar is just above my knee caps

270x3

340x3

410x3(last 2 reps were done sumo)

430x3(Sumo stance, more to just let my back feel the weight)

Shrugs

340x10

390x10

410x8

270x10

Machine rows

120x10

180x10

220x10

Wide grip chins

BWx5

BWx6

BWx5

DB rows

75x10

75x8

Nice deadlifting buddy! I didn't know you were that strong :rock

Thanks Josh, I'm not :cry

Nice deadlifting buddy! I didn't know you were that strong :rock

Thanks Josh, I'm not :cry

no motivation but I was nonetheless feeling strong. So I had very low intensity today.

You're pulling 405 on a bad day? You don't weigh a ton, so you're pretty strong my friend.

You're pulling 405 on a bad day? You don't weigh a ton, so you're pretty strong my friend.

:D Thanks Bob :D

405x2 @ 178= 2.275xBW for 2 reps

I personally wont think I'm strong until I'm at or above 3xBW, right now that would be 534. I see it happening in 08'!!!

Your one to talk btw!!! Pulling 2xBW on the Axle without even training it!!!

Seems like it's been forever since I trained!!! Did abit of bench today, pretty much just to get the blood flowing.

Flat bench

135x10

175x5

215x1

255x3 negatives(I think I'm close to this in full ROM, I wasn't properly warmed up either)

225x2

205x3

205x2

185x5

OHDBP

60x5

BTN Press

100x5

120x3

110x5

Laying JM press

50x6

55x3

50x6

DB flys

35x5

35x5

40x5

40x5

Machine flys

140x8

160x8

Well I was brilliant this week. I benched on Tuesday not thinking that I was going to attempt an easy bastard on Friday, my chest was still decently sore before todays get together so I just took some Ibuprofen and waited about 20 minutes; it helped alot actually :) Anyway, I did some decent damage to it. I found out that my kink, just from me figuring out how to kink has made my kink MASSIVELY stronger than my crush AND that using double pads is SOOO cheating but I love it. I didn't even feel the kink on the bastard or the 7" sq like I do when I use just my regular leather wraps. I took it well past 90, maybe to 70-80 degrees, in 4 seconds and where it stopped it stayed. I probably moved it a tiny bit after that but not much, it's perfect for an iso bar though :D That is not what I'm proud of right now however, NO SIR, what I AM proud of is bending 3 horseshoes at Larkin's gym with relative ease. I had planned on taking down another polo 1 on video with witnesses and brought along a DC1 as a joke. So I started up with my warmup, a SCFUL #2, blew through it quick and made the best heart I have ever seen. I'm proud to have that hung up on Larkin's wall, it's a perfect horseshoe heart. Then I went for the Polo 1, took it down much easier than that first one I did a few days ago and was pretty happy to have gotten another on video. By this time I figured that I'll shoot for the fence, if I fail then oh well; so I took the DC1 out and had a go at it. If I hadn't been so sore from the first polo bend and the 2 shoes before this one I could've hearted that DC1 for sure. I actually got the DC1 farther than the Polo I finished 1 minute beforehand. I learned several things from this get together, Ryan Klein apparently has a problem with being on time to things, Dave is modest to the point of bothersome, Bob has thick fingers... THICK FINGERS, I'm stronger than I thought and Don Larkin is THE coolest old guy I've EVER MET and his wife is fantastic!!

Ryan Klein apparently has a problem with being on time to things,

Blasphemy! The Gecko King is only held accountable by 45lb York blobs, not something as trivial as time. The rest of you were either early or late as world time is set by his watch not the other way around :D

All jokes aside, nice write-up Zach.

Ryan Klein apparently has a problem with being on time to things,

Blasphemy! The Gecko King is only held accountable by 45lb York blobs, not something as trivial as time. The rest of you were either early or late as world time is set by his watch not the other way around :D

All jokes aside, nice write-up Zach.

Haha, thanks Josh. You heading up to MGC this year? June 21st.

DC1 Bend

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=6735

Middle finger chinup

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=6734

and yes I needed the purple belt, it gave me superhuman strength

and yes I needed the purple belt, it gave me superhuman strength

Lol, I was gonna make a comment about it! :)

I was very impressed with Zach's bastard attempt. Very fast, the intensity was at a level rarely seen. It put me in mind of a guy that Don Larkin trained years ago to bend.

I expect to see some excellent bends in the future from Zach.

Jad: Ryan was there, different Ryan though. Zach's brother, didn't leave like a gecko. Naturally strong, new to grip training I think. Gave Don's Secret weapon a good go.

I was very impressed with Zach's bastard attempt. Very fast, the intensity was at a level rarely seen. It put me in mind of a guy that Don Larkin trained years ago to bend.

I expect to see some excellent bends in the future from Zach.

Jad: Ryan was there, different Ryan though. Zach's brother, didn't leave like a gecko. Naturally strong, new to grip training I think. Gave Don's Secret weapon a good go.

Oh yeah, my big bro came out to Larkin's with me!!! I forgot to mention that thanks Dave!

Yeah, Ryan is much stronger than me. He's a carpenter and does remodeling with my dad and is a pretty thick guy. I've told him numerous times in the past that he'd be excellent in bending because he has near 8" wrists with 7 1/4" hands but he never listened until he tried some bends with the guys at Larkin's. He'll be competing at this years MGC :rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

Did some bending today, didn't plan on it but couldn't resist, I've been just sitting around all weekend and HAD to do SOMETHING or else :whacked I guess I'm going to use double wraps from now on like all you cheaters out there ;) makes bending MUCH easier and I don't even feel the kink anymore :) Anyway, I keep eyeing a piece of 5/16x7" 304 SS and REALLY want to have a go at it but I figured it would be much better to attempt it fresh :rolleyes I made the mistake of not warming up today but oh well. I started off with a 5/16x6 G2, I've heard these are supposed to be alittle easier than a Bastard and I suppose it was since it felt the same as the easy Bastard from Friday and it got stuck in the EXACT same position as the Bastard too. Next attempt was a 5/16x5" G2, just to see how far I could get it, about 65 degrees and alittle off-center is where that one stopped. Next up was a 70d, I've heard these are between the square and the Bastard but this one definitely was not, very easy. I finished with a 1/4x7sq attempt, I blew through one at Larkin's really easy as a warm up so I figured this one would be one I could end with confidence on... it stopped at about 130 degrees :(

Overall it was I think a poor workout, I didn't really use any strength to kink since I couldn't even feel the steel push back until the 90 degree mark(except that 5"er).

What style of bending are using to bend the bastard?

In my teeth :D

Nah, I'm using DO :)

After seeing Big Steve's dvds I don't doubt that anything is possible.

After seeing Big Steve's dvds I don't doubt that anything is possible.

Haha, you've got a point :D

Zach, Are your thumbs healed up and ready to go yet?

I don't think so but that hasn't stopped me from having some pinch sessions here and there. Trust me Bob, starting this week I'll be pounding my Pinch, Bending and Grippers!!! I'll have to have strong thumbs for the events at this years MI grip championships!!!

DEADLIFT!!! day today, not feeling strong but went for it anyway :) Don Larkin gave me a 4 week program last week and I'm going to follow it!!!

His program:

week 1=8x2x65%

week 2=8x1x85%

week 3=8x2x65%

week 4=Max

It's simple but my body seems to respond to higher volume and intensity so it sounds like a great plan!!!

Clean pulls

230x5

Deadlifts

270x2

270x2

270x2

270x2

270x2

270x2

270x2

270x2

Rack pulls(knee height)

390x3

410x3

430x3

460x1

Chins

Almost got one with my middle fingers on a thicker bar.

BWx8

BWx8 (Wide grip)

Bench day, really bad idea since I'll be bending Wednesday but I guess I'll have to hope for the best :D I really have to get the bench and bending days sorted out because I wont stop either, less frequent I can do but I tend to lose strength in whatever it is if I start doing it to infrequently. The kicker is that "too infrequently" is different for every core lift and grip :(

Flat Bench

135x10

205x3

225x3

245x0(2 negatives)

225x3

235x1

205x3

185x10

135x15(Close Grip)

Decline Bench

135x5

175x0

145x3

145x2

145x3

DB bench

60x5

70x5

Tried to focus more on the triceps than anything to save for Wednesday. This was a pretty low intensity session, pretty discouraged by it because I was just so fatigued by this little bit today :(

First Bastard Done today, 16 January, 2008 :)