Concentration Curls -- What Can People Do?

G-Man

I am taking some time off of training right because of tendon soreness that does not go away.

My left is much weaker and has much less endurance than my right. I plan on focusing on left exclusively until the tendon soreness in my right elbow goes away.

This is what I did today (left arm only - nothing worth taping):

75 x 10L

75 x 10L

100 x 2L*

85 x 5L

85 x 4L

85 x 5L

75 x 3L

75 x 4L

It should be noted that the above weights is what the dumbbell says it is - the actual weight is a little heavier. When I weighed in the 85, for example, it came in at 87.5-pounds.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G-Man

• pawel r

• fightertrainer

• mobsterone

i guess if it works for him or you i cant critisize it but it shows how hard it is to judge arm power because of the different forms people use for curls as far as when you here poundages

anothe hero of mine was vince gironda. used to do strict curls with 100 pound dumbell and can do chin up with either hand. he was strong. he only weighed 160 to 170 pounds.

anothe hero of mine was vince gironda. used to do strict curls with 100 pound dumbell and can do chin up with either hand. he was strong. he only weighed 160 to 170 pounds.

I just "Googled" this guy. Very interesting reading.

did you do them on an incline. he does it sitting down, legs crossed. he is a firm believer in strict reps.
just normal concentration curls

I used to read Gironda's books and articles many years ago but I do not recall these claims. Is there a source you might be able to link to that might support this?

Wow, all these pictures and comments are very interesting.

Dave...

Edited by sixgun

this is my input on this subject if you train hard and dont get hurt i can see the barbarian brothers cheat curling 150s i have never seen a strict 150 standing curl i have cheat curled 140s at the gym with straps 1 1/2 years ago . not now and seated curls there is a technique to them too if you lock your body at the beginning and swing your body back getting the weight moving you can get some big numbers we have switched to table top curls now and i can get 100s for 25 reps right and 14 left and my son can do more than me he is up to 130s i can understand all the different feed back on this issue but if each pearson feels he is doing a good job and making progress thats ok with me i lift for the fun of it and for my self and every once in a while a pat on the back :D hope all you guys have a good christmas and a good new year here is a link to some table curl training we do http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BHn2H4Lzv_U and my son doing some 120s http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MgFzKo1TNsE keep up all the good videos guys theres nothing good on tv anymore ;)

this is my input on this subject if you train hard and dont get hurt i can see the barbarian brothers cheat curling 150s i have never seen a strict 150 standing curl i have cheat curled 140s at the gym with straps 1 1/2 years ago . not now and seated curls there is a technique to them too if you lock your body at the beginning and swing your body back getting the weight moving you can get some big numbers we have switched to table top curls now and i can get 100s for 25 reps right and 14 left and my son can do more than me he is up to 130s i can understand all the different feed back on this issue but if each pearson feels he is doing a good job and making progress thats ok with me i lift for the fun of it and for my self and every once in a while a pat on the back :D hope all you guys have a good christmas and a good new year here is a link to some table curl training we do http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BHn2H4Lzv_U and my son doing some 120s http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MgFzKo1TNsE keep up all the good videos guys theres nothing good on tv anymore ;)
interesting i've never tried doing table curls like that and when i did heavy cables it bothered my elbows so now i'm using intertubes and bands. I have a bunch of 16inch bike tubes and a D-RING in which i'll add or subract according to how i feel. I use a handle and i'll also do some with the bands as a handle so i can rotate my hand as if top rolling. I also have a couple of 18inch tubes from a John Deere A in which i can use but i just started doing all this before my arm workout so i guess i'll see

• 1 month later...

In the curls here, what is this guy doing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXfdHd_wOzw

It looks like it could be three x 10 on each side - or is that three x 25? If it's the latter, then he is a monster.

The one armed rows don't impress me as much - I have done 275 x 20 right arm (not as much left) and maxed around 385 (circa 1994-1995). It's all in how tight you wrap the straps. I have found the rows do next-to-nothing for arm wrestling except make you too sore to do pullups or curls. :D

Edited by G-Man

In the curls here, what is this guy doing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXfdHd_wOzw

It looks like it could be three x 10 on each side - or is that three x 25? If it's the latter, then he is a monster.

The one armed rows don't impress me as much - I have done 275 x 20 right arm (not as much left) and maxed around 385 (circa 1994-1995). It's all in how tight you wrap the straps. I have found the rows do next-to-nothing for arm wrestling except make you too sore to do pullups or curls. :D

How tall is he? I just noticed his arms look really short.

As far as armwrestling goes he didn't do many things that (to me) looked like something that would make you much better at armwrestling than the next guy who lifts.

I think if you train for armwrestling everything you do should hit the hands as well (since it all starts with the hands, if the hand fails the arm does nothing).

Cool video though.....

Has anyone here ever seen the guy compete.