Concentration Curls -- What Can People Do?

G-Man

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G-Man

• pawel r

• fightertrainer

• mobsterone

ask Brzenk, men from PullingJohn they filmed this in Sochi

video? what for? you have picture http://armpower.net/topfoto/77.jpg with a lot of smaller weight (165kg), and you deny his authenticity

It's a lot more difficult to "photoshop" a video! :rolleyes

I think he is a BIG fan of voevoda :laugh He might believe everything about him. But let me add this. If you go here http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/showth...2794&page=1 you will see what that japanese guy can do. He even did video of his "feats" (It has been removed now). And every single one in the forum agrees thats it's a fake video. The japanese guy did 220 KG*5 reps sholder press behind neck and I remember it was super strict and clean. And it was on video. Does that mean it's real. NO WAY. A big faker. My point is even a video can be fake. But if Voevoda himself showed up and say he can do that lift and posted a video then I think he is for real without a doubt. But I doubt he will say it because it's that hard with that "smile :) " on his face.

Edited by Alawadhi

ask Sevan Matossian

I am very interested in seeing some of those Voevoda lifting feats. They are, in my view, far more impressive than anything in this awesome Youtube video compilation (which has some false claims, like the "190 pound" dumbbell shoulder press with what is just under 165-pounds):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS0GGC_LD2U

Edited by G-Man

That video you just posted shows Dru Patrick (I think) seated-pressing 450lbs from the bottom possition. I find that to be truly impressive.

I did the 3”+ concentration curls again today with a different twist: instead of using the two six plus pound collars, I put a 30-pound chain on each side. It was 85-pounds (no collars) plus 60 pounds of lifting chains. It was a LOT harder than doing the 95-pounds for reps. At the bottom of the movement, I'm guessing it was 100 pounds plus at the bottom and maybe 130 plus at the top of the movement. I got three sets of six to seven reps with this - and they were NOT easy; but they were a lot of fun. :mosher

My arm feels really good right now. I originally wanted to do the 115 plus the 60-pounds of chains but there is no way that is going to happen in the very near future.

I plan on taking two weeks off and shooting for 85-pounds plus 60 pounds of lifting chains for a set of ten, with a better ROM than in my last video. I plan on taping that and uploading it.

I did the 3”+ concentration curls again today with a different twist: instead of using the two six plus pound collars, I put a 30-pound chain on each side. It was 85-pounds (no collars) plus 60 pounds of lifting chains. It was a LOT harder than doing the 95-pounds for reps. At the bottom of the movement, I'm guessing it was 100 pounds plus at the bottom and maybe 130 plus at the top of the movement. I got three sets of six to seven reps with this - and they were NOT easy; but they were a lot of fun. :mosher

My arm feels really good right now. I originally wanted to do the 115 plus the 60-pounds of chains but there is no way that is going to happen in the very near future.

I plan on taking two weeks off and shooting for 85-pounds plus 60 pounds of lifting chains for a set of ten, with a better ROM than in my last video. I plan on taping that and uploading it.

G-man, your number is very good (much better than mine). But I don't know why you feel the need for more ROM? If you're really into AW, then body English always comes with arm movement. I think it's about how tigh you can lock your elbow and use body English to finish it. Of course there 're pronationa and supination too...but that is another story. Unless that is your curling goal. Can long you hold same poundage in iso-concentration curl: just hold it with your forearm parallel to the floor and elbow is at 80-100 degree? If you can hold it like that for better than10 seconds plus, while body English it up and down 12"-14" and pronating your forearm to hammer position a bit in the top position, that's for me is impressively. Please try it and let us know how you fare. Thank you

G-man, your number is very good (much better than mine). But I don't know why you feel the need for more ROM?

I'd like to produce some quality videos and get them on Youtube. One of the biggest criticisms I currently get is the form, although just about all of it comes from non-arm wrestlers now and people for the most part no one ever heard of.

More importantly, I am focusing on curls now - and not arm wrestling - and I am training with the heavy chains. The chains force you to go all the way up to break past your sticking point. Since the chains are so much lighter at the bottom, it gets easier to go all the way down.

The chains are going to be a critical factor in increasing my curl above where it ever was before.

If I compete this year, I may decide to make my training more arm wrestling friendly (like incorporating some of the ideas you suggested) – temporarily - but for the time being, the focus is on the curls.

G-man, your number is very good (much better than mine). But I don't know why you feel the need for more ROM?

I'd like to produce some quality videos and get them on Youtube. One of the biggest criticisms I currently get is the form, although just about all of it comes from non-arm wrestlers now and people for the most part no one ever heard of.

More importantly, I am focusing on curls now - and not arm wrestling - and I am training with the heavy chains. The chains force you to go all the way up to break past your sticking point. Since the chains are so much lighter at the bottom, it gets easier to go all the way down.

The chains are going to be a critical factor in increasing my curl above where it ever was before.

If I compete this year, I may decide to make my training more arm wrestling friendly (like incorporating some of the ideas you suggested) – temporarily - but for the time being, the focus is on the curls.

well, then you got it G-man, if curling is your goal. My gym actually has 2 of those chains like the one you have. I never use it but I know the purpose of it. I use bands + weight the same way. I still work toward my goal of 80lbs dumbbell the way I described above (afterall I am only 150lbs). I have not tried my max yet but tendon takes time to adapt so I can't rush it. I just came back from an AW session with my workout partner and it was great. And I honestly feel the dumbbell workout above I use helps me big time. His hit could do nothing to me. Outweighted by 60lbs, so his hit used to painful to stop, but no more! I just smiled and telled him to hit it again :whistel feeling great. Hope you guys don't mind I share this

Edited by fightertrainer

http://www.defrancostraining.com/pics/imag...p-extension.jpg -barbell triceps extensions with chains

you tried once to apply such options (chains) in training biceps? and whether it helped? some pictures? video?

Edited by pawel r

http://www.defrancostraining.com/pics/imag...p-extension.jpg -barbell triceps extensions with chains

you tried once to apply such options (chains) in training biceps? and whether it helped? some pictures? video?

I never tried chains in doing triceps - just curling movements and pull-ups.

I have tomorrow off and plan on getting some more video shot - this time, with the chains.

I think standing on a bench defeats the purpose of using the chain for exercise. The original goal was to have many chain links lay on the ground at the start, and as you curl it up more links leave the ground and make it heavier as your bicep contract tighter. That is the idea. Standing on the bench is just like regular curl with a chain. The chainworks best when the movement is long such as squating. The more chain links leave the groung per rep the better it is. < <

WOW !!!

Good job

Edited by pawel r

Thanks for sharing, Garret! This is an interesting idea.