Concentration Curls -- What Can People Do?

G-Man

peter paul 150lb dumbel curl!!

Powercurls with 150's! I thought, "Iron Bull" Jimmy Pellechia was the only Powerbodybuilder in the world, who could do that! ...well, maybe Bertil Fox could do it too!

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G-Man

• pawel r

• fightertrainer

• mobsterone

There may be a touch of showmanship there - do they look like 150's?? From memory neither David nor Peter Paul were that tall (well under 6 feet) and the dumbbells seem to be about 100-120. I also think that that is the Disney show I was on about. Let me see if I can find a photo of them doing the across the body 'curl'.

There may be a touch of showmanship there - do they look like 150's?? From memory neither David nor Peter Paul were that tall (well under 6 feet) and the dumbbells seem to be about 100-120. I also think that that is the Disney show I was on about. Let me see if I can find a photo of them doing the across the body 'curl'.

I think there's a good possibility those are 150's. For the record, I am not blown away by this as the above comments were comments I quoted from Youtube. They were using straps when they did them. The most I ever did was 145 (right arm only), nearly identical form but without straps (Gold's Gym, West Springfield, MA, 1994-1996). My best was nine reps (fall of 1995) but I normally got only three to six.

I got away from them are they were horrible for arm wrestling.

I recall reading that the Barbarian brothers were at or around six feet. I believe the pictures where they do the alternate curls is in one of Robert Kennedy's early books, either Hardcore Bodybuilding or one of the other ones of that time frame.

Edited by G-Man

Ha, knowing Joe (Roark) I would bet he would be over the moon that you've renamed that movement!

To each his own, I guess. I personally am not for renaming exercises when people post what they do on-line ...

With one notable exception of course ... :tongue

http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/news/sri_c...270lb_wristcurl

I call that one "Elderly Abuse" ... :laugh

I think there's a good possibility those are 150's. For the record, I am not blown away by this as the above comments were comments I quoted from Youtube. They were using straps when they did them. The most I ever did was 145 (right arm only), nearly identical form but without straps (Gold's Gym, West Springfield, MA, 1994-1996). My best was nine reps (fall of 1995) but I normally got only three to six.

I got away from them are they were horrible for arm wrestling.

I recall reading that the Barbarian brothers were at or around six feet. I believe the pictures where they do the alternate curls is in one of Robert Kennedy's early books, either Hardcore Bodybuilding or one of the other ones of that time frame.

but they are in the attic... don't make me go up and have a look... it's dusty up there (plus I'm getting too big to get up there easily :upsidedwn

Ha, knowing Joe (Roark) I would bet he would be over the moon that you've renamed that movement!

To each his own, I guess. I personally am not for renaming exercises when people post what they do on-line ...

With one notable exception of course ... :tongue

http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/news/sri_c...270lb_wristcurl

I call that one "Elderly Abuse" ... :laugh

See we do agree after all. :rolleyes

In the 80's mine too - hence the scrap book (I'd have been between 15 and 18).

Me too - I was 12 when I read both Hardcore Bodybuilding and Beef It.

What I would do to have the power of a Voevoda on the table with the size and definition of the Barbarian Brothers :mosher ... heck, if that were the case, Travis Bagent wouldn't be the only puller signing a lucrative endorsement contract ... :rock

Me too - I was 12 when I read both Hardcore Bodybuilding and Beef It.

What I would do to have the power of a Voevoda on the table with the size and definition of the Barbarian Brothers :mosher ... heck, if that were the case, Travis Bagent wouldn't be the only puller signing a lucrative endorsement contract ... :rock

Why couldn't you have the power of a Voevoda? You just have to train the right way......

"Why couldn't you have the power of a Voevoda? You just have to train the right way......" Kyle's

Voevoda power comes partly from genetic blessing. His hard work just brings it to the full potential. Ex: just because you and I (may be just myself) want to have world class speed in sprinting, that doesn't mean we 're gonna achieve it. We will run much faster via training, but world class level in any sport require not only hard work, but also a good blessing in the gene. Hard work just bring it to full potential IMO. In bodybuilding steroid really messes up the equation any way. I like to see how are the twin Barbarians right now.

"Why couldn't you have the power of a Voevoda? You just have to train the right way......" Kyle's

Voevoda power comes partly from genetic blessing. His hard work just brings it to the full potential. Ex: just because you and I (may be just myself) want to have world class speed in sprinting, that doesn't mean we 're gonna achieve it. We will run much faster via training, but world class level in any sport require not only hard work, but also a good blessing in the gene. Hard work just bring it to full potential IMO. In bodybuilding steroid really messes up the equation any way. I like to see how are the twin Barbarians right now.

Yes, but it also comes from knowledge and application. He trains with weights the right way for armwrestling. Anyone can curl 100 pounds. But it's how you curl it that matters. You have to have a very strong mind muscle connection IMO. Most of the Russians and so on destroy us because when they train for armwrestling with weights they know how to do it for the best effect. Most Americans do the once a week armwrestling practice and think that a few years from now they will be decent. But I don't agree with that theory at all. Sure some people can do it and you know his name.....but there is a reason they can weight train and dominate everyone.

The way I see it G-man spent the majority of his time weight lifting and armwrestled on the side. But I don't know him and what he has done I am just going off of what I remember him saying.

It's just my theory though.....I mean you don't do calf raises to get your bench up. So when you weight lift for armwrestling use your mind and concentrate on the movements and feel what you feel when you pull. It can be done and the results speak for themselves.

Anyone can curl 100 pounds. But it's how you curl it that matters.

Anyone can curl 100 pounds? I've looked on Youtube and despite the pages and pages of people doing curls, the only (non armwrestlers) doing 100+pounds DB curls I have seen are the Barbarian Brother with a loose but still very impressive 150 in each hand. I saw the Voevoda curls and while they were less ROM than mine, they are a brilliant exercise in that they seemed to combine the curl and wrist curl into one movement.

In my 23-years of weight training experience, I quite frankly don't recall seeing too many people curling 100+ DBs - regardless of how loose the form.

As far as correct form, I have seen a lot of variation as an arm wrestler. Many years ago when I was just getting started (1988), the local World Champion (185-pound class) George Givens was featured on the local news channel. It showed him doing some variation of the table curl with a 125-pound DB using a very limited ROM but very high reps. I have trained that way myself and did okay on the table. You have these Eastern European pullers with some very fantastic claims (and who are extremely good on the table), but you just know the ROM is going to be limited with the kind of weight they say they put up.

I don't plan to post anything more in the near future unless I make another quantum jump in what I curl. I do invite others to videotape and post what they do here as I am curious to see how others train.

Edited by G-Man

Anyone can curl 100 pounds? I've looked on Youtube and despite the pages and pages of people doing curls, the only (non armwrestlers) doing 100+pounds DB curls I have seen are the Barbarian Brother with a loose but still very impressive 150 in each hand. I saw the Voevoda curls and while they were less ROM than mine, they are a brilliant exercise in that they seemed to combine the curl and wrist curl into one movement.

Hey G-man I did not quote that. You got it mixed up my man. But any way I agree with you

IMO genetic only makes the process faster. Look at Gazza, the best short steel bender. He is normal. But the best. There are people like Wes that doesn't practice bending. Maybe it was his 12th time bending and he did a 5/16 G5 bolt. Thats genetics. Makes it faster. But that doesn't mean no one with the same genetic will be like him. Maybe will and maybe not. But not faster than him if he's not blessed with good genetics.

In my 23-years of weight training experience, I quite frankly don't recall seeing too many people curling 100+ DBs - regardless of how loose the form.

As far as correct form, I have seen a lot of variation as an arm wrestler. Many years ago when I was just getting started (1988), the local World Champion (185-pound class) George Givens was featured on the local news channel. It showed him doing some variation of the table curl with a 125-pound DB using a very limited ROM but very high reps. I have trained that way myself and did okay on the table. You have these Eastern European pullers with some very fantastic claims (and who are extremely good on the table), but you just know the ROM is going to be limited with the kind of weight they say they put up.

I don't plan to post anything more in the near future unless I make another quantum jump in what I curl. I do invite others to videotape and post what they do here as I am curious to see how others train.

Anyone can curl 100 pounds yes I said that. Not saying there are many people who do. But there are many people who can if they actually wanted to and put forth the effort. I don't care for the debate of form especially when it concerns a biceps curl. My argument was not proper form for a strict curl. I was just saying proper form for what you want the movement to work.

Also as for my anyone can curl 100 pounds. Back when I was a little guy at like 12-13 or so....when I did my 1 week of working out every year up until recently. I started with like 35s.....when I got back to with it when I was older I could do 50 full range same with hammer curl. This is without any worth while training (nothing that would garner strength gains). So maybe my comment was a little diluted but I still believe almost everyone could eventually curl 100 pounds.

IMO genetic only makes the process faster. Look at Gazza, the best short steel bender. He is normal. But the best. There are people like Wes that doesn't practice bending. Maybe it was his 12th time bending and he did a 5/16 G5 bolt. Thats genetics. Makes it faster. But that doesn't mean no one with the same genetic will be like him. Maybe will and maybe not. But not faster than him if he's not blessed with good genetics.

Gaz has piss poor genetics for adding muscle but does have quite a bit of hidden strength (as in her is stronger than he looks). But the main reason he does so well is his mind set - the man goes into psycho mode for bending. Watch his videos and esp his eyes.

Gaz has piss poor genetics for adding muscle but does have quite a bit of hidden strength (as in her is stronger than he looks). But the main reason he does so well is his mind set - the man goes into psycho mode for bending. Watch his videos and esp his eyes.

Thats what I mean. Gazza spends MANY time in bending. He recommends isos each hour for 10 seconds. Thats mean. No offence anyone but look at some old benders and Aaron. Aaron surpassed them easily. Doesn't that mean they can't be at Aarons level? No. But it will take them more time to get there than Aaron. Thats what I mean. Another example is Wes. I guess everyone knows his bending ability and he is not even a bender. Thats genetics.

Everything being equal the natural will always go further as usually he/she starts at a higher level but alot of naturals dont make it when they should because of desire and the mind.

Arnold did not have the genetics of Sergio but he had a more powerfull mind and more desire.

John Brenze[spelling] does not have the genetics of Vovoeda but has more desire,heart mind whatever you want to call it.

Strength is not just down to size theres an old saying that goes something like its not the size of the dog in the fight its the fight in the dog.

If you want to push your genetic potential start looking at how you can harness the power of the mind and you will be halfway there.

Most i have ever weighed was 16st 4lbs and that was eating like a pig lots of the right stuff so i will never be a heavyweight but what i lack in shear size i make up for with endurance and a high pain tolerance/threshold and i have also shown that you dont have to be a 20year old in your prime to push your own "LIMITS".

A massive Oil Tanker is huge but without its anchor or a tug to manoever it its useless the same can be said for the muscles they can be huge but without the tendons they are useless tendon strength to me is more important i make a concious effort to not gain weight or size as that cuts down my muscular endurance which better serves me for bending.

Aaron,Wes and the likes are strong at everything they do so are definately naturals and will if they apply there minds as much as there physical strength exceed most peoples "LIMITS".

• 3 weeks later...

I did biceps again today for the first time in about a month. I could not do the heavy leg presses as a prelude because other members were using it so a did a few light sets finishing off with a set of 18 with 800-pounds going most of the way down.

I actually tried the 65-pounds with 120-pounds of listing chains - and man, what a wake up call. My workout looked like this before the bar broke:

75 x 10

75 x 10

65 + 60-pounds of chains x 7R/4L

65 + 120-pounds of chains x 1R

65 + 120-pounds of chains x 3R

65 + 120-pounds of chains x 2R

My arms feel REAL STRONG after taking that time off - I am going to try either fix my DB bar or buy a new one and shoot for 65 + 120-pounds x 5R for next weekend, get it taped and uploaded.

• 4 weeks later...

I weighed in at 267 today. I was still feeling a little sore but eager to try out my new DB bar (this is with a NORMAL grip instead of a massive 3"+ one).

I got a late start because I slept in late listening to an old Alex Jones interview with the late, great filmmaker Aaron Russo. :cool As a result, I did not do cardio (my minimum quota is 35 minutes but I sometimes do 80 minutes or more). I also did not do the required 30-45 minutes of heavy legs - which is okay, because I want to be at my strongest when I film.

Despite still having some lingering soreness, I felt very strong today. Here's what I did:

75 x 12

75 x 12

65 + 60 pounds of chains x 7

65 + 120 pounds of chains x 5 + 2R

65 + 120 pounds of chains x 3R

65 + 60 pounds of chains x 4L/16R

Here are some clips:

DB bar weigh in ...

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=495w2zd

Chain weigh in ...

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=6afnvd2

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=4l7crwm

Final set

65 + 60 pounds of chains x 16R

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=689lb3o

I should add that the huge set of 5 + 2 was MUCH harder on me than the final set of 16, despite a much better ROM on the final set. I should also note that the three sets of three had a much better ROM than the one set of 5 + 2; however, it is worth noting that you don't gain a whole heck of a lot by going ALL the way down because the weight feels like next to nothing because you're hardly lifting the chains - it just looks better for the camera.

Edited by G-Man

I weighed in at 267 today. I was still feeling a little sore but eager to try out my new DB bar (this is with a NORMAL grip instead of a massive 3"+ one).

I got a late start because I slept in late listening to an old Alex Jones interview with the late, great filmmaker Aaron Russo. :cool As a result, I did not do cardio (my minimum quota is 35 minutes but I sometimes do 80 minutes or more). I also did not do the required 30-45 minutes of heavy legs - which is okay, because I want to be at my strongest when I film.

Despite still having some lingering soreness, I felt very strong today. Here's what I did:

75 x 12

75 x 12

65 + 60 pounds of chains x 7

65 + 60 pounds of chains x 4L/16R

Here are some clips:

DB bar weigh in ...

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=495w2zd

Chain weigh in ...

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=6afnvd2

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=4l7crwm

Final set

65 + 60 pounds of chains x 16R

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=689lb3o

I should add that the huge set of 5 + 2 was MUCH harder on me than the final set of 16, despite a much better ROM on the final set. I should also note that the three sets of three had a much better ROM than the one set of 5 + 2; however, it is worth noting that you don't gain a whole heck of a lot by going ALL the way down because the weight feels like next to nothing because you're hardly lifting the chains - it just looks better for the camera.

Looking good.....should find a way to make all of the chain come off the ground. I like that idea though I might use it. It's almost like rubber tubing then, because the higher you curl it up the harder it gets.

Looking good.....should find a way to make all of the chain come off the ground.

Thanks - I actually got an e-mail from a friend of mine today saying the exact same thing. It might be possible to rework the collar and hang the chain by the middle. I ran the numbers - it is approximately 42" above ground at top of movement. Including crimps in the chain, it looks like it would be 12"+ off the ground at the top of the movement if I did that - so it would sort of defeat the purpose of continuous increases. Believe me, it is hard with two 30-pound chains on each side - honestly, every chain you add feels like another 20-pounds in plates.

When I was able to use chains on the pulldown stack, I noticed something rather curious - I could get more reps with 300-pounds than with a 220-pounds plus 90-pounds of chains despite the fact, it weighed anywhere from 265 to 310 pounds depending upon where you were in the movement. How can an average resistance of 287.50 feel heavier than 300-pounds?

Also, I will try doing another shoot in a couple weeks as I was disappointed in my form with the two chains on each side - I had great ROM on the three sets of three, but did not record them. Overall, I really enjoy training with the chains though.

Edited by G-Man