The Nailman's Top 20 Bending List - 5"

EricMilfeld

1) Gary Hunt			  5/16 x 5 1/16" Grade 5 Bolt section (total length, head removed)   9-19-2007
2) Pat Povilaitis Magnificent Shiny Bastard 2006
3) Jeremiah Fox Magnificent Shiny Bastard 10-14-2008
4) Aaron Corcorran Magnificent Hexabastard 7-14-2007
5) Mike Hadland Magnificent Hexabastard 10-14-2007
6) Ben Edwards Insane Bastard 2-26-2007
7) Chad Kovach Insane Bastard 8-12-2008
8) Greg Amidon Magnificent Bastard 2005
9) Dave Morton Magnificent Bastard 2005
10) Josh Dale Magnificent Bastard 10-21-2006
11) Sean Prince Magnificent Bastard 10-21-2006
12) John Beatty Magnificent Bastard 10-21-2006
13) Dave Thornton Magnificent Bastard 2-04-2007
14) Eric Milfeld Magnificent Bastard 2-21-2007
15) Walter K. Crews Magnificent Bastard 3-12-2007
16) Martin Kotte Magnificent Bastard 3-24-2007
17) Brett Kerby Magnificent Bastard 5-13-07
18) Scott Harris Jr Magnificent Bastard 1-28-2008
19) Takahashi Yoshiyuki Magnificent Bastard 3-29-2008
20) William McCaslin 1/4 x 5" Grade 8 Bolt 2-12-2007

1) Gary Hunt					5/16 x 5 1/16" Grade 5 Bolt section (total length, head removed)  9-19-2007
2) Pat Povilaitis Magnificent Shiny Bastard 2006
3) Aaron Corcorran Magnificent Hexabastard 7-14-2007
4) Mike Hadland Magnificent Hexabastard 10-14-2007
5) Ben Edwards Insane Bastard 2-26-2007
6) Greg Amidon Magnificent Bastard 2005
7) Dave Morton Magnificent Bastard 2005
8) Josh Dale Magnificent Bastard 10-21-2006
9) Sean Prince Magnificent Bastard 10-21-2006
10) John Beatty Magnificent Bastard 10-21-2006
11) Dave Thornton Magnificent Bastard 2-04-2007
12) Eric Milfeld Magnificent Bastard 2-21-2007
13) Walter K. Crews Magnificent Bastard 3-12-2007
14) Martin Kotte Magnificent Bastard 3-24-2007
15) Brett Kerby Magnificent Bastard 5-13-07
16) William McCaslin 1/4 x 5" Grade 8 Bolt 2-12-2007
17) Takahashi Yoshiyuki 1/4 x 5" Grade 8 Bolt 3-10-2007
18) Tony Hartonen 1/4 x 5" Grade 8 Bolt 4-24-2007
19) Russell Hadland 1/4 x 5" Grade 8 Bolt 7-29-2007
20) Bader Samir Tayeb Alawadhi 1/4 x 5" Grade 8 Bolt 10-27-2007

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• bencrush

• gazza

• Alawadhi

This list of the mightiest short bends is just like its 7" brother, only the longest acceptable lengths are nominally measured 5" bolts and nails, and stock cut to no longer than 5".

Eric what was the length of the Magnificent Shiny Bastard Pat bent? :blink

5".

Way to leap ahead of me Magnificent Prince :tongue

I will go ahead and apologize on behalf of Mr. Prince and move him back to his rightful position. You gotta watch that guy.

Way to leap ahead of me Magnificent Prince :tongue

I will go ahead and apologize on behalf of Mr. Prince and move him back to his rightful position. You gotta watch that guy.

Jad should be ahead of me on the list dispite the use of easy pads to perform the bend...and he is still a prettier man than I.

-Sean

Eric what was the length of the Magnificent Shiny Bastard Pat bent? :blink

5".

A question. Why is the 5" bend is better than the 4.75"?

Ben asked about giving credit for for 1/4" increments. Here was my response from that thread:

I've thought about giving credit for 1/4" increments, but because there is such variance, even within given batches of steel, I'd like to limit the cutting to 1/2 inch increments to help insure that a definite increase in difficulty is represented by a shorter piece of steel.

Alawadhi, I forgot to mention the primary reason that a 5" bend is being ranked higher than a 4.75" bend. These two new lists are all about ranking according to the toughest steel being bent, first and foremost, secondary to that is the length. That's why we have a list that allows no longer than a 7" bend, and another allowing no longer than 5". So, because Pat's bend was performed first, it will rank higher than Gary's.

To me it's more impressive to see thicker stronger steel being bent for the first time, as opposed to a shorter version of a steel that's been bent by fifty different men.

Thanks for the answer Eric. I thought Pat's bend had to be shorter that 4.75" which seemed crazy.

Concerning the 1/4" rule i think it makes sense even when we just consider the precision required to cut the steel.

If someone cuts a 5"bar 1/8" too short and another cuts a 4.75" bar 1/8" too long they are actually bending the same piece of steel. (ok i am just stating the obvious lol).

BTW you are doing such an outstanding job maintaining these lists and calibrating all that steel!

Eric

So it will now take an Insane Shiny Bastard or Magnificent Shiny Hex to take poll positiion in this list :D

Get er done Gazza! Heal up buddy and trash this list.

The Insane shinys calling but i aint ready yet but soon baby soon :D

A 9mms stainless shiny lathed down a half millimeter so its 8.5mms and off coarse calibrated by eric would be a nice piece to go for also i dont think a stainless hex at 5"will ever be done maybe 5.5"but not 5" :D

The Insane shinys calling but i aint ready yet but soon baby soon :D

A 9mms stainless shiny lathed down a half millimeter so its 8.5mms and off coarse calibrated by eric would be a nice piece to go for also i dont think a stainless hex at 5"will ever be done maybe 5.5"but not 5" :D

What's your shortest 5/16" Stainless Hex bend? That 6 and 3/8" Stainless Hex felt about the same to kink as a 6" Edgin. Maybe closer to the 5.5" Edgin that I've taken for a little ride.

Ben

I only ever attached 3 pieces of the 5/16" stainless Hex its all i had at the time as i gave aload away to other benders.

I got the 7"and 6.5"pieces under 2inches i failed on the 6"piece and it seems frozen in time theres a 1/2"to go its the only piece after repeated hits that i failed to crushdown i do feel tho that if i had more at the time and got another 6"piece moving it would go.

I have some more now just taunting me from my benders box but it will end up like the other steel that annoys me :D

Eric

So it will now take an Insane Shiny Bastard or Magnificent Shiny Hex to take poll positiion in this list :D

Those would certainly do it, and of course, anything that calibrates higher. I do want to institute a rule that requires any higher ranking bends must beat the previous best by atleast 20 pounds.

Ben

I only ever attached 3 pieces of the 5/16" stainless Hex its all i had at the time as i gave aload away to other benders.

I got the 7"and 6.5"pieces under 2inches i failed on the 6"piece and it seems frozen in time theres a 1/2"to go its the only piece after repeated hits that i failed to crushdown i do feel tho that if i had more at the time and got another 6"piece moving it would go.

I have some more now just taunting me from my benders box but it will end up like the other steel that annoys me :D

Thanks a lot for the quick response man. I figured you had killed some big Stainless Hex! I may try a 6.5" Stainless Hex when I feel good in a few days...

Congratulations to our resident Gator on making the list with a grade 8 bend he performed today!

Congratulations to our resident Gator on making the list with a grade 8 bend he performed today!

Whooo Hooo my small paws or as Ben Edwards called them Hobbit Hands just may be to my advantage on something for a change.

Thanks Eric and my other Brothers of Steel for your encouragment since I was first bitten by the bending bug.

Your Fellow BEnding Berserker,

GATOR

Great job Walter! How long did that bend take? It's a tough one!

Longer than it should have in my opinion but I was having a tad of wrap issues, I probably had it down below two inches earlier on but I wasted time pulling off leather to hit it couple more times to make sure plus it ended up being a little off center. Heck why don't I just let you watch the video clip for yourself but don't heckle the leading actor in it- :tongue

http://media.putfile.com/5-Inch-Grade-8

Nice bend Walter!!!

I see you used the bite of the Gator to get those rubber bands off! :tongue