Conjugate Grip Training

smitty

I'm making another run at the #3. I am working on implementing a crush strength program utilizing the conjugate periodization methodology.

Conjugate Grip Template

Day 1 ME Crush

Day 2 REST

Day 3 DE Crush

Day 4 REST

Day 5 RE/SE Crush

Day 6 REST

Day 7 REST

ME Crush = Cheat set any gripper higher than goal gripper, hold for 3-5 seconds

DE Crush = No set, slight set lighter than goal gripper to a close, or as close as possible, the goal is a dynamic sweep, I will also use a BTR gripper

RE/SE Crush = really light gripper to failure, or light gripper for specific sets/reps

12/02/2007

ME Crush - 3 attempts with Elite - Right, CoC#3 - Left - 3-5 seconds all sets

Supplemental - 35 lbs Blockweight - 3 sets - 5 second holds each hand (last 2 fingers)

Accessory 1 - Wrist Extension - 3 sets - 10 reps

Accessory 2 - Band Extensions - multiple sets/reps

Good luck on this Smitty, i really like your shedule man, kind of looks like mine a bit. You will crush your #3 and Elite soon. :rock

Smitty,

This is makes great discussion let alone a training program!!! I had kindof tried to do a semi westside influenced grip training routine before this last session of KTA. I couldn't figure out how to get a quality/measurable (this reads I have no vocabulary for this and can't get the ideas out of my head down in type) setup for dynamic work. Instead I focused on volume on that day, I think it was working not too bad for pinch, think I needed more experimentation with the gripper work before I would say it was a success.

Jon@han

This will certainly be an interesting log to follow. That training template makes sense. I will probably try something similar later.

Glad to see you make another run at the #3 :rock

12/5/2005

DE Crush - 3 sets of 3 reps (3x3) closes CoC#2 - Right, Left - BBM

- All reps done fast

- With minimal set

- All were closed

Supplemental 1 - 35 lbs Blockweight - 3 sets - 5 second holds each hand (last 2 fingers)

Supplemental 2 - 37.5 lbs Blob - 3 sets - 5 second holds each hand (whole hand)

Accessory 1 - Wrist Extension - 3 sets - 10 reps

Accessory 2 - Extraction

Volume is still pretty low for ME, DE work, but will be ramping it up slowly. Next workout I will be hitting some repetitive effort (RE/SE) for volume.

Jon - here is how I am performing the DE work.

With speed and barely a set, big sweep. Trying to go from open to close instantly. We shall see, my hands are already feeling stronger and I will do some goal gripper testing in a few weeks.

I know the last run I made, setting heavy grippers (way beyond the goal gripper) and blockweight work was really paying off.

Thanks for everyone coming by and checking this out

Jon - here is how I am performing the DE work.

With speed and barely a set, big sweep. Trying to go from open to close instantly. We shall see, my hands are already feeling stronger and I will do some goal gripper testing in a few weeks.

I know the last run I made, setting heavy grippers (way beyond the goal gripper) and blockweight work was really paying off.

Thanks for everyone coming by and checking this out

Do you mean just setting them as far as you can and holding it there, not forcing it closed? Or have I understood this all wrong..

I know the last run I made, setting heavy grippers (way beyond the goal gripper)

What I did was set the heavy gripper, hold it for 2-3 seconds, force it closed (or as close as I could get it), hold it for 1-2 seconds, force it closed (or as close as I could get it), and so on...until fatigue.

This would be done for 2-3 sets per workout.

I know the last run I made, setting heavy grippers (way beyond the goal gripper)

What I did was set the heavy gripper, hold it for 2-3 seconds, force it closed (or as close as I could get it), hold it for 1-2 seconds, force it closed (or as close as I could get it), and so on...until fatigue.

This would be done for 2-3 sets per workout.

All right, thanks for explaining that. I might have to try that later.

Keep training hard smitty. There is no reason why you can't close a #3. you will get it in a couple months.

Smitty,

Sounds good hope it goes well for you!!! With the maximum effort day, shouldn't you be cycling through various exercises due to the neuro burnout theory? This is what you listed in your outline:

ME Crush = Cheat set any gripper higher than goal gripper, hold for 3-5 seconds

Here's what I mean ie: use a grip machine for a few weeks, strap holds the next, barbell finger rolls, etc?

This is kindof what I was tryin' to do during my experiments.

Jon@han

Good luck with this, Smitty. With your overall hand strength the #3 will be yours soon!

Jon,

Definitely, I guess I should have made the template and definitions a little broader. I fully expected to insert different ME exercises. But in these initial stages, I had start very slow, with little volume to get acclimated back into it after the long lay off.

I will adjust the template and make it more comprehensive - good catch!

Smitty, don't you think a #2 is just a little to heavy for DE work? Wouldn't a gripper such as the 1.5 be more useful to you for DE work at your current level?

Tim - the DE effort is strictly determined by speed, if the speed of the movement is fast, then the gripper poundage is irrelevant. Good question!

If I come in and the speed on the #2 is slow, I will definitely drop back on the gripper.

12/7/2005

RE Crush - 3 sets of 5-8 closed reps BBM/CoC#2 - Right, Left - BBM

- All reps opened to 1" or parallel

- With minimal set

- All were closed

Supplemental 1 - None

Supplemental 2 - None

Accessory 1 - None

Accessory 2 - None

12/9/2005

ME Crush - 4 sets of heavy negatives held for 3-5 seconds - Elite/Peterson #3 - Right, Left - #3

Supplemental 1 - 4 Dimes hold for time each hand

Supplemental 2 - Blockweight holds, not sure what the weight was...

Accessory 1 - None

Accessory 2 - None

Another note about the workout tonight:

Brad was there and hasn't been training grip on a regular basis, just here and there and he smashed the heaviest #3 we had with us and two separate Elites down to a hair's width. Damn he is strong!!!

Jedd almost hit a huge split jerk PR.

Eli had to work.

Tomorrow:

Eli and Mark are coming over and I am going to film some ideas I had for an upcoming MMA article I have been thinking about...

Happy to see you are doing good things in your pursuit of the #3 Smitty. I look forward to reading your post of a sucessful close and hold for time. Always great to see the science behind your strategy. Mind and body. Keep on keeping on brother.

-Sean

If I come in and the speed on the #2 is slow, I will definitely drop back on the gripper.

That's mainly what I was worried about, but if you're closing it explosively...

Didn't hit my DE grip work tonight. I was too busted up after:

1) Squats

2A) Rack Pulls

2B) Pull-ups

3A) Bench

3B) Pull-ups

4A) DB Military

4B) Seated Rows

I'll hit it on Wednesday with Eli. I am actually still recovering from that last ME workout.

Note: Been working on my foot positioning for bench and hit a small PR the other day...

Note: I don't have much time to workout now-a-days so I try to pack in as much as I can....

What does the notation 2A, 2B mean?

It just denotes a superset - 2 exercises done right after each other with minimal rest.

I usually make the "A" a compound exercise, followed by a "B" (or C,D,E...) as a supplemental to the "A"