For Us Handstrength- First Order Of Business

Bob Lipinski

The players in the NBA are getting taller and taller, to the point that someone 6 foot 3 is considered "short". That is just the way it is. If the "sport of Grip" continues to grow, in the future, there will be no competitive geezers, nor will there be many guys with small hands competing with the Big Boys. I think it is going to remain a cult sport, but already the big-handed guys are making a significant splash.

I think some of the discussion is going too far "to be fair". A short guy in the NBA will not win a dunking contest. But there are many other areas where shorter players can show off their various skills. Most of you are working hard to obtain a sense of balance here, and that is good. Not everyone is going to be happy, but Thickbar is a part of the sport. Having different events at different contests is one way of maximizing the participation. Look at how the choices of events creates differences in the finish between the Arnold Strongman and WSM.

Life is not fair. But whatever is done, it won't be some "Mike The Destroyer" Johnny One Event Wonder approach. I have enjoyed reading the points brought up by everyone.

Hubgeezer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bob Lipinski

• Scott Styles

• jad

• climber511

"If the "sport of Grip" continues to grow, in the future, there will be no competitive geezers, nor will there be many guys with small hands competing with the Big Boys."

It bring's a tear to my eys but it's certainly going to come true. Every strength sport has weight classes, simply because bigger people are stronger people - sure you can come up with the odd "little" guy with amazing strength but overall it's just true. Our sport is friction related - probably the best thing would be hands like duck feet, big wide fingers that will put lots of surface area on the device being lifted that are long enough to wrap around about anything - then attach it to a body that's strong enough to pick up large weights smoothly but quickly.. If the sport is ever to grow - if we ever want it to become something that many people want to give a try - it's going to have to give all sized people the feeling that they can actually be competative. And that isn't happening right now. I mean, I like it as a 'cult" sport but I'd also like to share the enjoyment I have with others - and it's pretty easy to go out in one's garage and see about where you're going to place against the David's, Jedd's, Mikeals, etc in the sport. If we want to keep it as it is, all we have to do is not come up with a system that allows people to think they have a chance. Some kind of system is needed, be it hand size, novice, etc to bring people into the sport. I think we're looking at it backwards - we don't want divisions because there aren't enough people competing - I say perhaps they aren't competing because there aren't enough divisions, If Weight Lifting or Powerlifting only had one division, just how many small guys do you think would show up?

It is only fair to do hand size divisions in big comps like GGC with atleast 10 or more in each division. I totally agree...but those that want to bump up like Tommy H...who can compete with anyone (and beat) no matter the hand size...should be able to if he wants. This is a good post :rock

Chad

I suggest we have one small hand team go up against a large handed team using fairbar. My money is on the big lads. I don't think 'fair bar' will prove as much a success as the smaller handed are hoping. Novice might, weight divisions might but fair bar... I'm not convinced. How can this be tested?

Indeed a test now, with just a few willing to give it a real go, will be a good indicator and a useful way of deciding whether or not it should be included.

I didn't think fairbar meant everyone got to pick the dm best for them. I thought it was assigned based on handsize. For example, guys with 7.5" hands use a 2" bar, guys with 8" hands use a 2.5" bar, and so forth. I just threw those numbers out there, I'm not sure how you would make the increments, but letting everyone pick the desired width defeats the purpose: a guy with 9" hands will likely do better on a 2" bar than a guy with 7.5" hands, although the 7.5" guy has a better chance than if it was 2.5". Thickbar is a grip exercise because it's thick, so it should be thick for everybody, regardless of hand size.

Regarding Mobster's suggestion: it depends on the teams and what definition of fairbar you are referring to.

I didn't think fairbar meant everyone got to pick the dm best for them.

I don't think anyone else think that either.

I didn't think fairbar meant everyone got to pick the dm best for them.

I don't think anyone else think that either.

In the fairbar system this basic rule does not apply as all will lift more with a narrower diameter until the pain factor puts a limit on the amount of weight one can lift.

I guess I misunderstood this. Not everyone would get a narrower dm, some guys would likely get a larger dm.