Grip, Weightlifting, & Bw Stuff For Bjj/wrestling

God-man

You're quite strong for your bodyweight, Paul! I cant' wait to see what you'll be capable of next year. Three pullups with 90 pounds is awesome! Are you still playing with the nails?

Thanks, brother Eric!!! Yes ... I am still "playing with the nails" ... but I think "getting owned by the nails" might be a better choice of words for my case, haha. I saw that you got 200lbs on the pinch grip! That is unbelievable!!! Way to go!

Saturday:

Rolling Thunder singles (heavy day, up to 155lbs)

Couldn't lock out with 155 today, but I got it up off the ground, atleast. I gor 145lbs with my left again ... hoping to move up to 150 with my lefty soon.

Pinch Grip

sets w/ 2 25lb plates (50lbs)

sets w/ 1 25lb plate and 1 35lb plate (60lbs)

sets w/ 2 35lb plates (75lbs)

Well, this was the first time I ever tried 2 35lb plates. I was able to get them about 2 inches off of the ground with my right hand, but I couldn't move'm with my left. I was surprised I was able to get them off the ground in the first place, so I am happy about that.

Blockbuster Pinch Grip

Went up to 45bs on this, almost locked out with it with my right hand. This thing is hard! No, literally, it's made out of metal. hahahahaha- no? Not funny? *feels shame*

Dumbbell Military Press

20 x 35lb dumbbells

8 x 50lb dumbbells

2 x 60lb dumbbells (just to warm up a lil' for the 70's, and not wear myself out)

3 x 70lb dumbbells

I was surprised I got the 70lbers up 3 times today ... I felt weaker on pressing, today, but hey, I got the same number of reps as last time, so meh.

Bent-Over Barbell Rows

10 x 135lbs

6 x 185lbs

6 x 185lbs

Thickbar Dumbbell Hammer Curls (2" wide handles)

8 x 35lbs (each hand)

8 x 35lbs (each hand)

This was the first time I've tried these, and they were pretty easy, so I'll probably move up next time. I like the thickbar hammer curls. I saw that Eric Milfeld has been doing them, too, so I know they have to be good if he does them, haha.

Kinda dissappointed, because the gym closed early today, so I didn't get to do any squats, v-bar, or skull crushers, and my workouts were hurried. Meh, I'll make up for it Wednesday!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• God-man

• EricMilfeld

• JasonL

• Number Ten Ox

Monday:

2.5" FBBC Crusher singles

OK, I officially suck at this thing. I can only get 110lbs. What the heck? The Rolling Thunder is only a little bit smaller and revolves a little less easily, but still, I thought I'd atleast be able to do more than 110! I did do heavy RT singles two days ago, though, so my hands are pretty pooped. I probably couldn't have gotten much more, anyway though.

Pinch Grip

sets w/ 2 35lb plates (70lbs)

:) :) :) I GOT 2 35LB PLATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEW PR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) I got it with my right hand, but I couldn't get it with my left. I can't believe I got it up, but hey, I did.

#2 Captains of Crush gripper overcrushes

Well, same story. Got about 3 or 4 millimeters from closing it. I'll shut it someday.

Squats

10 x 45

10 x 95

10 x 135

2 x 185 (warming up for 225)

3 x 225

2 x 225

Wow. I think I might go back down to 205 on squats. I'm pretty sure I moved up too fast to 225 from 205. With squats, right now, it's really not about how much weight I'm doing, but that I am getting a full range of motion (with a good amount of weight on for me) to help my explosiveness for my takedowns. I don't want to be one of those guys who does squats with too much weight and barely goes down without even breaking 45 degrees. I need to get that full range of motion, and with 225, I can only get a couple of reps, so I'll got back down about 10 or 20 lbs and start from there.

Bodyweight Pullups

2 sets of 10 reps

I don't know why I did these. I just felt like doing a few. Doing pullups ... without weight added on to my body ... is like nothing .... Weighing on 155, I could do pullups all day. It was a nice little warm up, though, haha.

My hands ACHE from the pinch grip!!! 2 45lb plates, here I come!!! ha!

Edited by God-man

Paul,

Good job on the 35's pinch! I see you did uneven pinches as well ie 25+35 plate. I really like this in my training. I keep finding myself going back to it.

Jon@han

Monday:

OK, I officially suck at this thing. I can only get 110lbs. What the heck? The Rolling Thunder is only a little bit smaller and revolves a little less easily, but still, I thought I'd atleast be able to do more than 110! I did do heavy RT singles two days ago, though, so my hands are pretty pooped. I probably couldn't have gotten much more, anyway though.

Pinch Grip

:) :) :) I GOT 2 35LB PLATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEW PR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) I got it with my right hand, but I couldn't get it with my left. I can't believe I got it up, but hey, I did.

Well, same story. Got about 3 or 4 millimeters from closing it. I'll shut it someday.

Squats

10 x 45

10 x 95

10 x 135

3 x 225

2 x 225

Wow. I think I might go back down to 205 on squats. I'm pretty sure I moved up too fast to 225 from 205. With squats, right now, it's really not about how much weight I'm doing, but that I am getting a full range of motion (with a good amount of weight on for me) to help my explosiveness for my takedowns. I don't want to be one of those guys who does squats with too much weight and barely goes down without even breaking 45 degrees. I need to get that full range of motion, and with 225, I can only get a couple of reps, so I'll got back down about 10 or 20 lbs and start from there.

Bodyweight Pullups

2 sets of 10 reps

I don't know why I did these. I just felt like doing a few. Doing pullups ... without weight added on to my body ... is like nothing .... Weighing on 155, I could do pullups all day. It was a nice little warm up, though, haha.

Congrats with the plate pinch PR! I happen to be out on injury for BJJ (it's been about 2 months) and I am coming back this Sunday! Seeing somebody else practicing BJJ is a burst of motivation for me.

Nice! 2-35's is a goal of mine for this year. I also weigh about 155 so it's nice to see peeps pinchin so hard. I just did a rafter pullup today, have you tried them yet? Soo fun, if you like the feeling of BW pullups you'll love doing them from rafters.

Nice log, fun reading.

Any grappling comps coming up?

Paul,

Good job on the 35's pinch! I see you did uneven pinches as well ie 25+35 plate. I really like this in my training. I keep finding myself going back to it.

Jon@han

Thanks, Jonathan!!! I was very happy about getting it. Yeah, I had to do the uneven pinches ... there was no way I was making the jump from 2 25's to 2 35's without doing them, ha. :)

Monday:

Pinch Grip

Squats

10 x 45

10 x 95

10 x 135

3 x 225

2 x 225

Bodyweight Pullups

2 sets of 10 reps

Congrats with the plate pinch PR! I happen to be out on injury for BJJ (it's been about 2 months) and I am coming back this Sunday! Seeing somebody else practicing BJJ is a burst of motivation for me.

Thanks, LiftingKid! Good to hear your healthy again. Do you find your grip to be a nice advantage in grappling? I definitely do.

Nice! 2-35's is a goal of mine for this year. I also weigh about 155 so it's nice to see peeps pinchin so hard. I just did a rafter pullup today, have you tried them yet? Soo fun, if you like the feeling of BW pullups you'll love doing them from rafters.

Nice log, fun reading.

Any grappling comps coming up?

Thanks!!! Haha, sometimes I feel like a dwarf around some of these grip guys. The competition I was at a month ago ... I think I was the only one there that was under 200lbs, haha.

Also, I don't know what a rafter pullup is ... what is that?

About the grappling comps, not that I know of ... there really aren't as many as I wish there were, but hopefully somebody will host one around here soon. I haven't even been in an official tourney yet. There was one about 3 months ago, but I wasn't able to go. Meh ... we do 30 minutes of live matches (3 10 minute matches, no breaks) every class ... which is definitely enough for me, ha. I still can't wait for the next tournament to come around!

Tuesday:

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu class/practice

Today went very well. I finally got a triangle choke on somebody during a live match for the first time today. Actually, I got the triangle choke on two different people during live matches, not just on one person, so I am glad I pulled that off. Then, my coach gave me my first stripe on my belt! He said I really showed him I deserved it today, so that definitely gives me more incentive! I put on more submissions during live matches than I ever have in one day ... I think I slapped on 5 or 6 submissions on 2 different people. It's nice to know that I AM progressing. :tongue

After class/practice and live matches, we did a ton of sit-ups and squats, which was good.

Tomorrow is a big day in the gym.

Dude, 2 35pd plates :blink thats freaking awesome!!!!!! shoot, would not want to wrestle you, Mr Death Grip :flame

Dude, 2 35pd plates :blink thats freaking awesome!!!!!! shoot, would not want to wrestle you, Mr Death Grip :flame

Ha, I'll try and see if I can pull it off again today after my thickbar stuff ... are you still on Sherdog?

Just so there is no confusion the guy in the video is Brad Johnson, a GB member and author for Iron Mind. He first introduces me to rafter pull ups...

Paul reading your log makes me wish there was a good place in town to learn/ compete in BJJ. Argh. I have always wanted to try. For now I will just punch my heavy bag.

Have you ever tried rock climbing. It sounds like you have a good build for it! There are some great places in TX to try it out.

Just so there is no confusion the guy in the video is Brad Johnson, a GB member and author for Iron Mind. He first introduces me to rafter pull ups...

Paul reading your log makes me wish there was a good place in town to learn/ compete in BJJ. Argh. I have always wanted to try. For now I will just punch my heavy bag.

Have you ever tried rock climbing. It sounds like you have a good build for it! There are some great places in TX to try it out.

Yep, still on Sherdog. All that Drama. I go to Sherdog, Gripboard, Dragondoor for forums, MMA.TV too

Tuesday:

Today went very well. I finally got a triangle choke on somebody during a live match for the first time today. Actually, I got the triangle choke on two different people during live matches, not just on one person, so I am glad I pulled that off. Then, my coach gave me my first stripe on my belt! He said I really showed him I deserved it today, so that definitely gives me more incentive! I put on more submissions during live matches than I ever have in one day ... I think I slapped on 5 or 6 submissions on 2 different people. It's nice to know that I AM progressing. :tongue

After class/practice and live matches, we did a ton of sit-ups and squats, which was good.

Good work. It is definetly a good feeling to finally get some submissions when you are going just about 100%. Try and keep a wide array of subs open to you though, I always thought that was what helped me. Except I still had my favorites, the straight armbar and kimura from the guard :)

In terms of grip work and it's carryover into grappling, it has helped me greatly. Particularly in judo during the stand up game. People have a very hard time breaking my grip while I can almost always break their's.

Oh, oops, sorry. Yeah, that Brad Johnson guy reminds me of spiderman jumping all over the place, hehe. Anyway, sorry there's no bjj out where you are ... I feel pretty fortunate to have so many bjj places to choose from over here in TX.

And no, I have never tried rock climbing ... I think I'd probably be more comfortable trying out one of those indoor places with articial walls and stuff, though ... I'd be kinda scared to go on a real rock and try it ... I am a little afraid of heights, too. Actually, a couple of days ago, someone at the gym was telling me I should try it and that it's a fun way to work that grip big time. I know of a couple of places where there are some of those fake-rock walls to climb ... maybe I'll check it out. Thanks!

Yep, still on Sherdog. All that Drama. I go to Sherdog, Gripboard, Dragondoor for forums, MMA.TV too

Haha, yeah, all the drama. Urban's got a grip tournament in California on April 30th, I believe. Ever do any competitions?

Nice job on the submissions, keep it going!

Thanks, don chi! I'll be at bjj tomorrow ... getting raped by the brown and black belts ... again, haaaa. :ohmy

Tuesday:

Good work. It is definetly a good feeling to finally get some submissions when you are going just about 100%. Try and keep a wide array of subs open to you though, I always thought that was what helped me. Except I still had my favorites, the straight armbar and kimura from the guard :)

In terms of grip work and it's carryover into grappling, it has helped me greatly. Particularly in judo during the stand up game. People have a very hard time breaking my grip while I can almost always break their's.

Yeah, thanks, bro. It's definitely a nice feeling when you get a good submission on someone. And yeah, that is very good advice you just gave me. Actually, I kinda learned that a couple of months ago on my own ... before that, for some reason, I was obsessed with keylocks ... I just thought they where so cool ... mainly because they are pretty simple and I am also stronger than most other guys there, so I was able to catch a lot of people with it .... But I eventually started seeing the error of my ways, realizing I was holding myself back with only going for the same submissions ... and I also began to realize more and more, that the more I went up against guys who actually knew very well what they were doing ... the more I realized that getting a keylock isn't so simple anymore, haha, just like getting any submission on them isn't. I started moving on from going for those keylocks, and I can tell a very big difference in my progress. (It is still one of my favorites, though ... ahhh, nothing like ripping someone's arm off, ha j/k)

I can definitely see how a good grip is vital in judo ... if I had the time and money, I'd go for judo along with bjj and wrestling, but no can do right now. Thanks again for the advice and reminders!

Wednesday:

Rolling Thunder singles (heavy day, up to 155lbs)

NEW PR! 150 with my left hand!!! woowooo! As for my right hand, I locked out with 150, but couldn't get 155 locked out.

Pinch Grip

2.5" FBBC Crusher singles (up to 105lbs)

Close-grip Dumbbell Bench Press

20 x 35lb dumbbells

8 x 50lb dumbbells

8 x 60lb dumbbells

2 x 70lb dumbbells (just warmin' up for the 80's here, making sure I don't wear myself out beforehand)

4 x 80lb dumbbells

So I got 4 reps again with the 80lb dumbbells. Hopefully I'll get more next week.

2" Thickbar Hammer Curls

8 x 35lbs (each hand)

8 x 40lbs (each hand)

6 x 45lbs (each hand)

These rule.

Skull-Crushers

8 x 80lbs

Only did one set ... I had to get going because I needed to leave at the time, so .... This is the most I've done so far, though, so woopie. :)

Praise the living God.

Edited by God-man

So I got 4 reps again with the 80lb dumbbells. Hopefully I'll get more next week.

I would not, Try to do more with the 70's instead, then the next week, try more with the 80's...

:)))

I would not, Try to do more with the 70's instead, then the next week, try more with the 80's...

:)))

Thanks, I might do that.:)

Thursday:

Went pretty well, until I went against one of the black belt judokas who is doing bjj now. ha. We worked on armbars first (getting their hand with one of yours, then as you throw your leg over their face, you also wrap your other hand around the back of their knee, and wala, push down with legs/straighten your body and pull). The reason we did the wrap around behind their knee was that if they pull their arm out, then you can transition into a knee-bar, which was cool. We worked on that for a while.

Wow ... I'm tired. Off to work now. yay. :yikes