Gripboard Grip Bash 10

FrankyBoy

Gripboard Grip Bash X

Continuing the great tradition of gripboard bashes so far organized by Mr Eric Milfeld here finally is the 10th edition.

Thanks to Eric who helped me with the rules and to Bill who let me organize it.

This time two generous sponsors hopefully will increase the attractivity a bit.

Thorsten Moser (moser1972) from RB-Germany is sponsoring 3 grippers:

Check them out: Top-3 Prizes

Thanks Thorsten.

2nd sponsor again is Mr. John Beatty from FAT BASTARD BARBELL Co who will add some nice gifts also.

Thanks John.

The GBB X is quite shortly announced therefore it will last longer this time. I want to encourage everyone to participate. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. And please, especially beginners are very welcome. You don't know how to get the bending stock? Contact me.

And here are the rules:

Rules

TIME

ooo1 March 25th through 2359 April 9th, 2006, Central Standard Time

EVENTS

Events 4,5 and 6 are tested for both hands.

1. Bending

Using the Gripboard's bending rules pinned in the bending forum, bend the shortest bar/bolt of any of the following stock:

IM Yellow (or FBCC 1/4" round)

G5

G8

IM Red (or FBBC 5/16" round)

2. 2-hand plate pinch

Standard rules apply. Any 2 'nearly' smooth plates are accepted. Add weight by running a pipe through the plate and adding weights

equally on both sides. The device has to be lifted at least til knee level for a valid lift. Don't drop the device after the lift.

3. 2-hand plate rim lift

Very similar to the 2-hand pinch. Any 2 plates (any size, any rim) will do the job but for the thumb side a smooth one is required.

Grab with the four fingers of both hands the rim of a plate. The thumb is placed an the opposing smooth side.

The device has to be lifted at least til knee level for a valid lift. Don't drop the device after the lift.

4. Vertical Bar

Using a 1" (or 25mm) outside diameter smooth metal bar, grasp with one hand and lift at least 2" off the floor.

Insure that no part of the hands or fingers extend lower than 7" from the top of the bar. No hook-gripping is allowed.

Maintain your grip of the bar as you return it to the floor.

5. Straphold

Use an IM #1 Gripper and lift as much weight as you can handle on a 1' platform (block, bucket or whatsoever). As a strap a metal ruler. No tilt of the gripper is allowed.

6. Front Lever

Front lever a coin on a hammer head on a platform (2'):

Lay a hammer on the ground, put a coin on the head and front lever the whole device onto a platform. Of course the coin should remain on the hammer head during the lift.

Therefor the hammer has to be grabbed at the very end.

Add weight to the head by laying it (this could be a plate but also sth else) onto the head and the coin on top of it (with a playing card inbetween or something similar).

For scoring please report the total weight of the head and the length of the shaft (measured from the end of the handle to the bottom of the head.

SCORING

A points system will be used in which the winner of each event will receive 10 points. All other points will be calculated by dividing the non-winning "lifts" by the winning lift, and then multiplying by 10. A lifter will receive a total score by adding the scores of the six "lifts" to determine ranking.

Detailed scoring of bending, SH and Lever event will be announced later.

How To PM Results By Example

Frank Henritzi (Gripboard nickname here if applicable, would be FrankyBoy in my case)

1. 5.75" G5

2. 150#

3. 200#

4. vbar 220#, 240# (left hand, right hand)

5. SH 20#,30# (left hand, right hand)

6. Lever 4#x25", 6#x32" (left hand, right hand)

Additional Notes

Please use only regular gym chalk as a grip aid.

Report all weights in either pounds or kgs including the weight of the apparatus.

For the lever event please report the length of the shaft also (in " or cm).

Denote any personal records you achieve in the competition by placing a "PR" after the applicable lift in your results.

You may take as many attempts as you like during the course of the week of competition.

Do not e-mail your results, but rather, PM me.

All PMs must be in my box by 2359 April 9th.

The contest is open to all Gripboard members in good standing.

Thanks for your participation, and enjoy the spirit of friendly competition as you strive to achieve your best!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FrankyBoy

• DAN PRAYDIS

• climber511

• bencrush

This contest definitely sounds great.

Franky - thanks for picking up on a great tradition! I engourage everyone to join in the fun.

sounds good i guess i have to try bending again to see if i can enter

This is the week of The Show of Hands Grip Cup, but I'm going to try and compete.

Frank selected some fun events!

I'm not understanding the rim lift, if you were saying 1 rim I'd get it, but any chance of a vid or more explaining for us unfamiliar with the lift?

Thanks for asking Jason.

I assume you know the 2-handed pinch using 2 plates, smooth sides out?

So:

Just turn one plate around so that the rims of the two plates are 'showing' in the same direction now.

As in the 2-hand pinch place your thumbs on the smooth side of the first plate and the 4 fingers of each hand are grabbing the rim of the 2nd plate.

Btw:

Also allowed of course is using just one smooth sided plate if you feel more comfortable with the width of only one plate.

Another note:

Valid lengths of the bending stock are in 1/8" increments as in the last GBB IX.

So a 5 7/8" G5 or a 6 3/8" Red are permitted lengths.

Using two plates for the rim lift makes sense when you consider you can run a pipe through them to hold it all togother. I think I may just use one single 100 pound plate with additonal weight added via a pipe.

Using two plates for the rim lift makes sense when you consider you can run a pipe through them to hold it all togother. I think I may just use one single 100 pound plate with additonal weight added via a pipe.

FRANKY is the hold scored more for the time it is held like a 100lb plate held a long time or the heaver weight we that is just held is this making sence :blink

Ok, I got it now. I think I will try and join in this time, though I am sure the prizes will be in someone else's collection. Real cool about the prizes. I expect we will see some sick numbers put up in all the events.

Dan,

all events are for max weight.

There will be no time based scoring.

FRANKY is the hold scored more for the time it is held like a 100lb plate held a long time or the heaver weight we that is just held is this making sence :blink

Ok, I got it now. I think I will try and join in this time, though I am sure the prizes will be in someone else's collection. Real cool about the prizes. I expect we will see some sick numbers put up in all the events.

That would be great Jason.

Obviously only the guy who competes can get a prize too.

Dan,

all events are for max weight.

There will be no time based scoring.

one more question is the rim lift 2 plates at the same time for weight like in these photos rim lift http://www.powerandbulk.com/ushandstrength/id7.html thanks franky Edited by DAN PRAYDIS

No Dan.

I'll make a pic or vid shortly to make it clear.

Addition to event 3. 2-hand rim lift.

Its ok to place the thumbs on top of the 2 plates.

Some numbers I put together yesterday:

Bending: 6 1/8" Red

Pinch: 190.5#

Rim Lift: 333#

vbar: 257#, 276#

Straphold: 26#, 40#

Lever: 6,6# x 25.2", 8,8# x 25.2"

I definately will try to improve the bending and the lever result lefty in the remaining two weeks.

An additional note to the lever event:

If you have a sledge which is heavy enough, so you can't lever it by grabbing it at the very end, its ok to grab the shaft a bit closer to the head and report the length where you grabbed it (measured from the pinky side).

So reports of 8# x 30" or 6# x 25.5# are good ones.

I don't understand the sledge levering event.

Front lever I think is starting with the hammer head resting on the floor and with only the movement of the wrist, you try to lever it up until it's roughly parallel with the ground. Something like that?

I don't understand the sledge levering event.

Front lever I think is starting with the hammer head resting on the floor and with only the movement of the wrist, you try to lever it up until it's roughly parallel with the ground. Something like that?

i think like this start with the hammer head resting on the floor place a coin on top the head no glue and place the coin on top of a 2 foot object measure the handle and go for the heavest weight you can lever if im wrong franky will correct me :tongue

After seeing Franky's #'s I'm going to get a whupping. Tried some of the events (never tried the two hands pinch before)

Vbar - 237 r hand, 222 left (these will go up)

Bending - Huge Bastard - I'm going to try a Grand Bastard just for laughs next week.

two hands pinch - 160

Will try everything else tomorrow - I was totally doing the rim lift & lever wrong.

Front lever event:

Front Lever

Hope that clears it up, Ben?

Front lever event:

Front Lever

Hope that clears it up, Ben?

Wow I'm stupid! :blush Thank you very much Franky for the video. That's about as simple as it can get. I guess I was just overthinking it again. I'll get started on it.

i have an idea that we should extend the grip bash a couple more days so franky can get back to 100 percent he has been doing this contest every year that eric held it and its only fair . i know he said he is ok but he is one tough cookie and he will feel it tomorrow if not the stress will hit him and he needs to let things get back to normal its up to him and everyone else but a week or two extra is fine to me :whistel my numbers might get better to :tongue