Chris' Strength Training Log

chrisof4

I have been tracking my bending and workouts in the same log, but I really want to keep my workouts separate and not have it tied to my bending logs, which will probably start over as new goals are reached.

I really like the powerlifting, and the concept of whole body strength. I rarely see anyone at the gym doing any kind of powerlifting except bench pressing. I have a history of lower back pain, mostly due to being weak in that area, and not exercising enough. I am trying to correct that now.

Anyway, this is where my workouts will be from now on.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chrisof4

• LiftingKid

• AP

• Scott Styles

2-26-2006

I had a pretty good workout at the gym tonight. Due to a hectic schedule, I went 4 days without working out, but this seems to have done some good.

BW: 192 PR. Dropping to 192 has been a major challenge. I still want to drop to at least 185, so that is my immediate goal. I will reassess my weight goals when I hit 185.

Cardio: 30 min. on the treadmill. 1.89 miles.

Crunches: 20, 20. On the first set, I went all the way down on the incline, and might have been able to do a few more reps. On the second set, I did the first half all the way down, but had to reduce to parallel on the last 10. Still, this felt very strong.

Cable Row: 115lbs x 8 PR, 115lbs x 6.

Lat Pulldown: 95lbs x 8, 95 x 8 PR for 2nd set. 100lbs next.

Leg curl: 90lbs x 10, 100lbs x 10PR. Start at 100lbs next time.

Side Bends: 35lbs x 8, 35lbs x 15 PR. I need to warm up into these. The first few I can't go as deep, but after I warm up into them, I can bend further. Also, control seems to be a huge issue. Nice and slow, and very controlled, and I can do quite a few. When I get sloppy, my back immediately tells me.

Stiff-legged deads: 60lbs x 10 PR, 60lbs x 10 PR for 2nd set. These felt pretty good. Increase to 70lbs next time, but be very mindful of your back and don't push too hard.

DB Rows: 50lbs x 8 each side PR. 40lbs x 8 each side. On the second set, I used a different form based on a recommendation from a fellow lifter. I had to reduce the weight to implement his suggestion, but I think I will get better results.

Standing DB curls: 20lb'ers x 10, 20lb'ers x 10, 15lb'ers x 10

2-28-2006

BW: 191.5

Cardio: 30 minutes on the treadmill. 1.81 miles.

Crunches: 25 PR, 14, 10

Box squats: 80lbs x 20, 110lbs x 5, 130lbs x 5, 140lbs x 3. My torso started moving too much forward, so I stopped at this weight.

DB Bench: 45lb'ers x 8, 45lb'ers x 6

Tricep press: 85lbs x 8 PR, 85lbs x 5

DB Shrugs: 50lb'ers x 4 Too heavy. 40lb'ers x 8, 40lb'ers x 8. Do this weight again.

Lat raises: 10lbs x 10, 10lbs x 7

Front raises: 10lbs x 10, 10lbs x 10

DO IT!!!!! :rock

3-2-2006

Thanks for the encouragement, Unseenbeat. :):)

I had a killer workout tonight. It just felt really good and strong. I am moving toward more of a 5x5 style workout, and I really like it so far. My lifting goal for 2006 is a 600 powerlift series, but my intermediate goal is 450, which I have never done, but I am closing in on all fronts. Currently at 140 on the squat, I hit a 1 rep max of 140 on the bench press a few weeks ago, and I pulled 130 for reps in the sumo deadlift tonight.

Cardio: 30 min on the treadmill. I forgot to check the mileage, but I guess it was around 1.75.

Crunches: 15, 15

Sumo Deadlifts: 110lbs x 5, 110lbs x 5, 110lbs x 5, 120lbs x 3, 130lbs x 3 PR

Military press: 60lbs x 5, 60lbs x 5, 60lbs x 5, 60lbs x 5, 60lbs x 5. 65 next time.

Standing EZ curls: 50lbs x 5, 50lbs x 5, 50lbs x 5, 50lbs x 4 (cheated the 5th rep), 50lbs x 4 (cheated the 5th rep)

3-6-2006

BW: 192

Cardio: 30 minutes on the treadmill. 1.93 miles. I had to keep the speed up, and actually increase the incline to about 2 degrees before I could get my heart rate up to 120. That has never happened before. I guess my heart is alread responding to the cardio.

Crunches: 20 (full incline on all of them), 20 (full incline on the first 15)

Cable row: 115lbs x 5, 115lbs x 5, 115lbs x 5, 115lbs x 5, 115lbs x 5.

Leg Curl: 110lbs x 5, 110lbs x 5, 110lbs x 5, 110lbs x 5, 110lbs x 5

Leg extension: 90lbs x 5, 90lbs x 5, 90lbs x 5, 100lbs x 5, 100lbs x 5

Lat pulldowns: 100lbs x 5, 100lbs x 5, 100lbs x 5, 100lbs x 5, 100lbs x 5

Side bends: 35lbs x 5, 35lbs x 5, 35lbs x 5, 35lbs x 5, 35lbs x 5

DB rows: 40lbs x 5, 40lbs x 5, 40lbs x 5, 40lbs x 5, 40lbs x 5

Stiff legged deads: 70lbs x 5, 70lbs x 5, 70lbs x 4, 70lbs x 5

This was a great workout overall. I did not record any PR's because I am changing the format slightly, so it is hard to make an honest comparison. The stiff legged deads felt good, and my back is obviously getting stronger. Even so, I began to feel quite a bit of fatigue on the third set, and thought about stopping there. But, after a few minutes of rest, I felt like I could do another set. I am shooting for 5 sets, but my back will have to be strong enough first.

3-7-2006

BW: 191lbs

Cardio: 30 minutes on the treadmill, 1.84 miles.

Crunches: 20, 20

Box squats: 80lbs x 10, 110lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 4, 120lbs x 5

DB Bench Press: 45lb'ers x 5, 45lb'ers x 5, 45lb'ers x 5, 45lb'ers x 5, 45lb'ers x 4

DB Shrugs: 40lb'ers x 5, 40lb'ers x 5, 40lb'ers x 6, 40lb'ers x 5, 40lb'ers x 5. 45 next time.

Tricep press: 85lbs x 5, 85lbs x 5, 85lbs x 5, 85lbs x 5, 85lbs x 5

Good workout. This is the first time on the 5x5 format for this routine. I can tell I will pay for this tomorrow. :happy

Drank my usual protein shake when I got home.

Edited by chrisof4

3-7-2006

Box squats: 80lbs x 10, 110lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 4, 120lbs x 5

DB Bench Press: 45lb'ers x 5, 45lb'ers x 5, 45lb'ers x 5, 45lb'ers x 5, 45lb'ers x 4

DB Shrugs: 40lb'ers x 5, 40lb'ers x 5, 40lb'ers x 6, 40lb'ers x 5, 40lb'ers x 5. 45 next time.

Good workout. This is the first time on the 5x5 format for this routine. I can tell I will pay for this tomorrow. :happy

The DB bench looks good :). Maybe try using the 50lb dumbbells next time? Also, I recall that you had some kind of injury in the past. Am I thinking of the right person?

3-7-2006

The DB bench looks good :). Maybe try using the 50lb dumbbells next time? Also, I recall that you had some kind of injury in the past. Am I thinking of the right person?

Thanks. :)

I will probably push the 45lb'ers one more time. I really want that last rep on the 5th set. Also, the 50's kicked my butt the last time I tried them, so I want to be really ready for them. I love DB presses because there are so many stabilizing muscles involved. I still love barbell bench presses too, but I never have a spotter, so I just do those at home in my power rack on days I can't go to the gym.

Yeah, I had a shoulder injury about a year ago that took extensive rehab to make better. I still feel it on certain days, but mostly it is all better and it does not seem to be interferring with my training. The exercises where I am most likely to notice my shoulder are the military press, and my side and front raises. The training has really helped a lot, and I am optimistic I will eventually strengthen enough that I don't notice it at all.

Edited by chrisof4

I have been reading a lot about kettlebell training (both in the Wirral boys thread, and elsewhere on the Internet.) There are parts to that training that really appeal to me, such as the strength you can develop from doing the swings. One of the parts of hauling the equipment for the NFL teams that always gets me is the players bags. These weigh between 5 and 25 pounds each, and are slid into the truck to me. Then I have to bend over, grab the bag, stand up, and throw them up on top of the trunks already in the truck. After 30 or 40 it is not uncommon for my lower back to really start hurting. Usually we have between 60 and 100 bags depending on whether it is pre-season or regular season.

I think doing the basic swing exercises with kettlebells could really help me strengthen my back and glutes and be more prepared for next season. However, kettlebells are EXPENSIVE! I wanted the basic 35lb'er and from russiankettlebells.com, this was going to be about $90 +$45 shipping. OUCH!

What would especially suck would be to get the 35lb'er and then figure out it was too heavy for me, and I needed a lighter one. Also, much of the exercises recommend having two kettlebells for cleans, snatches, and such. A fella could drop several hundred dollars very quickly this way. Well, that is not in my budget, so I went looking for alternatives.

IM has an alternative that is basically just a dumbell bar with a triangular handle on one end, but still costs $93 per pair. These looked like they would never sit very well on the floor, and with the plates at a right angle, would be especially uncomfortable against my forearms.

I finally settled on the kettle grips product from Iron Woody. This is similar to the kettle stack solution. For $85 (including shipping) I get two handles that can each be loaded anywhere between 5 and 93lbs. This will allow me to find a proper starting weight to work out with, but as I get stronger, I can gradually increase the weight in smaller increments, without spending several hundred dollars on new kettlebells.

There are two exercises these are specifically not recommended for. One is flipping/juggling. I don't really plan to do this anyway. The other is pushups as they will roll on the floor. I don't really plan to do this either, as I already do similar exercises at the gym with dumbells. I am mostly interested in the swings, cleans, snatches, etc.

Hopefully these are similar enough to actual kettlebells to meet my needs. If not, or if I just don't like kettlebell exercises, at least I only spent $85 instead of several hundred.

3-11-2006

I had a good workout at the gym today. I thought I had eaten recently enough, but after my cardio I could tell I was gonna need a boost. I broke down and spent $2.50 on an energy drink from the gym (highway robbery!). After I downed that and rested about 10 min, I was ready to finish.

BW: 189lbs PR - Dropping below 190 was a huge mental barrier for me. I was very glad to see this when I weighed in.

Cardio: 30 minutes on the treadmill, 1.92 miles PR. I am having to work a LOT harder to keep my heart rate up to 120 bpm, which is encouraging to see. I will probably break 2 miles in 30 minutes soon.

Sumo Deadlifts: 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5. PR pulling 120lbs for all 5 sets. I definately had my ugly face on for the last rep of the last 2 sets, but I made it. Start at 130lbs next time. My lower back and core are feeling much stronger on these lifts.

Military Press: 70lbs x 5 PR, 70lbs x 5, 70lbs x 5, 70lbs x 4, 70lbs x 4.

EZ curls: 50lbs x 5, 50lbs x 5, 50lbs x 5, 50lbs x 5 (cheated last rep), 50lbs x 5 (cheated last 2 reps). I was so mad when I could not get the last rep on set 4 and had to cheat.! I make gains slower on curls than anything else. :angry:

Crunches: 25, 20 PR. I moved these to the end of my workout, and may continue doing so. These were all done on the incline bench, nice and easy with no bounce. I had to put on my ugly face again for the last 5 reps of the second set, but I got them! Good stuff. I have seen a lot of improvement in this area.

Edited by chrisof4

3-11-2006

I had a good workout at the gym today. I thought I had eaten recently enough, but after my cardio I could tell I was gonna need a boost. I broke down and spent $2.50 on an energy drink from the gym (highway robbery!). After I downed that and rested about 10 min, I was ready to finish.

BW: 189lbs PR - Dropping below 190 was a huge mental barrier for me. I was very glad to see this when I weighed in.

Cardio: 30 minutes on the treadmill, 1.92 miles PR. I am having to work a LOT harder to keep my heart rate up to 120 bpm, which is encouraging to see. I will probably break 2 miles in 30 minutes soon.

Sumo Deadlifts: 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5. PR pulling 120lbs for all 5 sets. I definately had my ugly face on for the last rep of the last 2 sets, but I made it. Start at 130lbs next time. My lower back and core are feeling much stronger on these lifts.

Military Press: 70lbs x 5 PR, 70lbs x 5, 70lbs x 5, 70lbs x 4, 70lbs x 4.

EZ curls: 50lbs x 5, 50lbs x 5, 50lbs x 5, 50lbs x 5 (cheated last rep), 50lbs x 5 (cheated last 2 reps). I was so mad when I could not get the last rep on set 4 and had to cheat.! I make gains slower on curls than anything else. :angry:

Crunches: 25, 20 PR. I moved these to the end of my workout, and may continue doing so. These were all done on the incline bench, nice and easy with no bounce. I had to put on my ugly face again for the last 5 reps of the second set, but I got them! Good stuff. I have seen a lot of improvement in this area.

Nice job with the PR on sumo pulls! I can't beleive that you can workout right after you eat. My stomach usually won't allow me to do that.

You've got it right about the costs of the kettlebells adding up. I'm already out $170 for the 16k and 20k bells I bought. They're cool though. I hear you can resell them for most of what you buy them for.

Thanks, LiftingKid. Actually, I ate about 11am, but did not workout until about 1pm. I thought I had a large enough lunch to carry me through, but after my cardio, I realized I had burned through most of it. I really don't like working out right after I eat either, but I can do it if pressed. Normally I like to wait at least an hour.

Yeah, Scott, I agree the kettlebells hold their resale. I looked at quite a few on eBay, but the problem is shipping. It is only marginally cheaper to buy them used because of that. Hopefully these kettle grips workout. I expect them Monday or Tuesday.

3-12-2006

Cardio: 30 minutes on the treadmill. 1.99 miles PR. I had to use speed setting 4.0 and alternate between no incline and 1 degree to keep the heart rate up. I doubt I will speed it up anymore. I will just use the incline to make it harder.

Cable Row: 115lbs x 5, 115lbs x 5, 115lbs x 5, 115lbs x 5, 115lbs x 5

Leg Curls: 110lbs x 5, 110lbs x 5, 110lbs x 5, 110lbs x 5, 110lbs x 5. 120lbs next.

Lat Pulldown: 105lbs x 5 PR, 105lbs x 5, 105lbs x 5, 105lbs x 5, 105lbs x 8. 110lbs next.

Stiff legged deads: 70lbs x 5, 70lbs x 5, 70lbs x 5, 70lbs x 5, 70lbs x 5. 80lbs next time.

Leg extensions: 100lbs x 5, 100lbs x 5, 100lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5 PR, 120lbs x 5. These felt pretty easy at 100, so I jumped up to 120. This was more difficult. Start at 120 next time.

DB side bends: 40lbs x 5, 40lbs x 5, 40lbs x 5, 40lbs x 5, 40lbs x 5. 45lbs next time.

DB row: 45lbs x 5, 45lbs x 5, 45lbs x 5, 45lbs x 5, 45lbs x 4

Crunches: 15, 15 I was way sore from doing these yesterday.

My kettle grips came today, and so far, I really like them. I loaded one up with four 7.5 lb plates creating a 30lb kettlebell to work with. I hefted it and was happy with what I felt, so I started playing with swings. I did just a few, and they felt difficult, but not too difficult.

Then I went for a right hand clean, which I got. Next I went for a snatch, which I also got. I was able to clean it lefty also, but my snatch got pretty sloppy, and fell apart at the top. So, 30lb seems like a pretty good weight to start with.

The (4) 7.5lb plates fit almost perfectly on the short pin, and allow me to lock down the plates very tightly. When I move up in weight, I will need to get some washers as spacers to get a good tight fit with the 10lb plates.

Sadly, I had to leave my new toy and go to class tonight. When I got home, I quickly downed a sandwich and popped in the instructional video. I have now done more swings, power cleans, and presses than I can count and am very sore. My workout tomorrow will probably suffer, but it was a lot of fun. I really like the kettle grips so far. I am not sure where I am going to work the swings in with the rest of my exercises, but I will figure that out later.

My kettle grips came today, and so far, I really like them. I loaded one up with four 7.5 lb plates creating a 30lb kettlebell to work with. I hefted it and was happy with what I felt, so I started playing with swings. I did just a few, and they felt difficult, but not too difficult.

Then I went for a right hand clean, which I got. Next I went for a snatch, which I also got. I was able to clean it lefty also, but my snatch got pretty sloppy, and fell apart at the top. So, 30lb seems like a pretty good weight to start with.

The (4) 7.5lb plates fit almost perfectly on the short pin, and allow me to lock down the plates very tightly. When I move up in weight, I will need to get some washers as spacers to get a good tight fit with the 10lb plates.

Sadly, I had to leave my new toy and go to class tonight. When I got home, I quickly downed a sandwich and popped in the instructional video. I have now done more swings, power cleans, and presses than I can count and am very sore. My workout tomorrow will probably suffer, but it was a lot of fun. I really like the kettle grips so far. I am not sure where I am going to work the swings in with the rest of my exercises, but I will figure that out later.

I have no experience with kettlebells, but, they sound quite fun. If I ever come across any at a gym, I will certainly give them a try. Good luck with your workout tonight.

I have no experience with kettlebells, but, they sound quite fun. If I ever come across any at a gym, I will certainly give them a try. Good luck with your workout tonight.

They are very fun, and I am surprised how taxing they are. I am very sore today. They definately hit a different set of muscles than my other training. The other thing different is most of the kettlebell movements are done quickly. Watching the guy perform the 1-hand and 2-hand snatches on the video, he literally explodes upward. The power cleans and the various press movements are also performed very quickly. All my other weight training is performed slowly and smoothly by comparison. It will be interesting to see if this more explosive type of training adds a new dimension to my development. I figure I will try to do a serious KB routine once a week, probably replacing my stiff-legged deads for the moment.

3/14/2006

My bending workout today sucked, but my workout at the gym rocked! My weights literally exploded on several of my lifts.

BW: 192.5 (hmmm...this number is going the wrong way). I am conflicted on my weight gain. I have significantly increased my protein, both in my food, and with 2 protein shakes a day. But, I am also trying to keep my diet balanced with lots of whole grains and veggies. Based on my lifts tonight, I am putting on some pretty good muscle, but I also have a lot of fat left around the midsection. I am going to keep a close eye on this over the next several weeks to see what happens.

Cardio: 30 minutes on the treadmill. 2 miles at 1 degee incline.

Box squats: 80lbs x 10, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120 x 5, 130lbs x 5, 140lbs x 5. Start at 130lbs next time.

These felt so strong! The first 2 sets at 120lbs literally popped off my shoulders tonight. After the 3rd set I was not really struggling that much so I added 10 lbs, but even that was not as hard as I expected. 140 was tough, but I managed to keep my form. I am also feeling these much more in my hamstrings, which I feel is a good sign.

Box squats have helped my form a lot. When I first started with them, I could hardly sit back in my squats without falling on the box. Tonight I was very successful at controlling my descent and just touching the box without actually coming to rest on it. I was not always successful at that, but more hits than misses.

DB Bench: 45lb'ers x 5, 45lb'ers x 5, 45lb'ers x 5, 45lb'ers x 5, 45lb'ers x 6.

These went up with authority tonight and felt very strong. I am definately ready for the 50's next time.

DB Shrugs: 45lb'ers x 5, 45bl'ers x 5, 45lb'ers x 5, 45lb'ers x 5, 45lb'ers x 5. This was also surprising. Last workout I was using 40's, and they were difficult. I am going to try 50's next time.

Tricep Press: 90lbs x 5 PR, 90lbs x 5, 90lbs x 5, 90lbs x 5, 90lbs x 3.

Crunches: 25, 15

This was a great workout.

3/16/2006

Based on some reading I have been doing, I am going to try only pulling deadlifts every other week. Tonight was a deadlift night, so instead I added hip adduction and abduction. I was very surprised at the pressure the adduction put on my left groin muscle. It is probably good I am adding these.

Prior to workout I did one set of kettle bell swings with 30lbs for 5 reps. Just feeling them out a little. I plan to work this harder on Saturday.

Cardio: 30 minutes on the treadmill, 2 miles at 2 degree incline.

Hip adduction: 70lbs x 5, 70lbs x 5, 75lbs x 5, 80lbs x 5, 85lbs x 5. Start at 85 next time.

Hip abduction: 85lbs x 5, 85lbs x 5 (very shaky and jerky on these), 80lbs x 5, 80lbs x 5, 85lbs x 5 (better)

Military press: 70lbs x 5, 70lbs x 5, 70lbs x 5, 70lbs x 4, 70lbs x 4. I just BARELY got this last rep, but I did not have to cheat it.

Standing curls: 50lbs x 5, 50lbs x 5, 50lbs x 5, 50lbs x 5, 50lbs x 5 PR. I FINALLY made some progress in this lift and got all five sets! 60lbs next.

Crunches: 10 w/ 10lb plate on chest, 10 w/ 25lb plate on chest.

Hypers: 10, 10

3/18/2006

I have waited almost a full week to really give my kettlegrips a workout, just to make sure they did not interfere with the rest of my training. Today I did KB swings for reps. I am really glad I went with the KB grips, instead of purchasing an actual KB. I started with one KB grip loaded to 30lb, and did 3 sets of 5 reps. I focused on thrusting my hips forward, and all of these felt very good, and not that challenging. I knew I could do more.

I had already loaded the second KB grip to 37.5lbs, so on the fourth set I started to use this one. HUGE difference. I was definately feeling these in my back, especially as I would thrust my hips forward on the swing up, but also on the way back down when I had to bring the swing to a stop. I did sets four and five with this one, and will probably start with this weight next time. I think I will modify the 30lb and bring it up to 40lbs for when I am ready for it.

Workout:

1. 30lb x 5

2. 30lb x 5

3. 30lb x 5

4. 37.5lb x 5

5. 37.5lb x 10 Start at 37.5lb next time.

3/19/2006

I had a fairly good workout tonight, but I had some difficulty getting into the groove. I felt kind of sluggish. Still, I managed to work through that and get most of my routine finished. Toward the end, my back locked up enough that I needed to take notice and stop.

BW: 189lbs

Cardio: 30 minutes on the treadmill, speed 4.0, incline 2 degrees

Cable Row: 120lbs x 5 PR, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 4, 120lbs x 3

Leg extensions: 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 140lbs x 5 PR, 160lbs x 5 PR. Start at 160lbs next.

Glute/ham raise: I did not manage to do any with any decent form. Mostly negatives. I will need to strengthen my posterier before attemtping this again.

Leg Curls: 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5. 130lbs next time.

Lat pulldown: 120lbs x 5 PR, 110lbs x 5, 110lbs x 5, 110lbs x 5, 110lbs x 5. 115lbs next time.

Side bends: 45lbs x 5, 45lbs x 5, 45lbs x 5, 45lbs x 5, 45lbs x 5.

DB Rows: 45lbs x 5, 45lbs x 5.

This is where my back said stop. I was resting between sets of DB rows, and it just locked up. I did not completely throw it out as I have in the past, but it was cramped and causing me much pain just to walk. Time to call it quits for the night. I guess I hit it a little hard on the side bends, and did not rest long enough before hitting the DB rows. The gym was closing soon, so I kind of rushed things at the end. Lesson learned there. lol

3/19/2006

I had a fairly good workout tonight, but I had some difficulty getting into the groove. I felt kind of sluggish. Still, I managed to work through that and get most of my routine finished. Toward the end, my back locked up enough that I needed to take notice and stop.

BW: 189lbs

Cardio: 30 minutes on the treadmill, speed 4.0, incline 2 degrees

Cable Row: 120lbs x 5 PR, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 4, 120lbs x 3

Leg extensions: 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 140lbs x 5 PR, 160lbs x 5 PR. Start at 160lbs next.

Glute/ham raise: I did not manage to do any with any decent form. Mostly negatives. I will need to strengthen my posterier before attemtping this again.

Leg Curls: 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5, 120lbs x 5. 130lbs next time.

Lat pulldown: 120lbs x 5 PR, 110lbs x 5, 110lbs x 5, 110lbs x 5, 110lbs x 5. 115lbs next time.

Side bends: 45lbs x 5, 45lbs x 5, 45lbs x 5, 45lbs x 5, 45lbs x 5.

DB Rows: 45lbs x 5, 45lbs x 5.

This is where my back said stop. I was resting between sets of DB rows, and it just locked up. I did not completely throw it out as I have in the past, but it was cramped and causing me much pain just to walk. Time to call it quits for the night. I guess I hit it a little hard on the side bends, and did not rest long enough before hitting the DB rows. The gym was closing soon, so I kind of rushed things at the end. Lesson learned there. lol

Is it your rhomboids which locked up? You did do a lot of back work with short rest so it would make sense that the muscles were stressed. Ice it and get some rest, if it still hurts, apply heat for the subsequent days. It is not worth completing your workout at the cost of getting hurt (My worst mistake).

LiftingKid,

No it was my erectors that locked up, and not my rhomboids. These have been my weak link for a long time, which is why I spend so much time trying to strengthen them, and the other core muscles.

The next day, my back felt pretty good, all things considered. Today, they are still a little sore, but my recovery time has been much shorter than when I strained my lower back in the past. I have to work late tonight, so I will not be able to do my normal Tuesday workout. In the end, that is probably for the best. A few rest days will not kill me, and I can hit it on Thursday with a vengeance. :cool

3-23-2006

I had a hard time getting fired up tonight. I have been working pretty hard on the job lately, and I think I am just still a little tired. No matter because the work still got done.

BW: 189lbs - Holding steady under 190, which is a good sign.

Cardio: 30 minutes on the treadmill, 2.0 miles, incline 2 degrees.

Box squats: 100lbs x 10, 130lbs x 5, 130lbs x 5, 130lbs x 5, 130lbs x 5, 130lbs x 5. Push this again. Form got pretty sloppy on several of these reps.

DB Bench: 50lb'ers x 5, 50lb'ers x 5, 50lb'ers x 4, 50lb'ers x 2, 50lb'ers x 0 - These felt very difficult.

DB Shrugs: 50lb'ers x 5, 50lb'ers x 5, 50lb'ers x 5, 50lb'ers x 5, 50lb'ers x 5

Incline crunches w/ 20lb dumbbell on chest: 10, 10, 10

Tricep press: 90lbs x 5, 90lbs x 5, 90lbs x 5, 90lbs x 5, 90lbs x 4.

Edited by chrisof4